Reader Comments (172)

Stephen Vincent
1 Posted 13/06/2021 at 12:23:15
Morning all. Great to hear that Christian is doing well and recovering. Hopefully the feeling of one ness that this horrible event engendered in the footballing community will continue this afternoon and there will be no booing should players opt to take the knee.
2 Posted 13/06/2021 at 12:26:15
Just read he's messaged his Denmark team mates Stephen, so hopefully he's on the mend.

I'm taking the plunge and going to watch England in a west London pub. Not usually a pleasant experience.

When it comes to international, I'm a neutral. I do think England have a chance and I always like watching Croatia, so with focus on the football, hopefully this will be a good one.

Stephen Vincent
3 Posted 13/06/2021 at 12:38:23
Good to hear that, Danny. I'm aging and well overweight, it kind of makes you think about your own mortality doesn't it. I mean if it can happen to him?

Watched Italy and Belgium looking pretty awesome so don't hold out alot of hope for England's chances long term. Lukaku has morphed into a beast of a man, virtually unstoppable if the mood takes him.

Thomas Richards
4 Posted 13/06/2021 at 12:38:53
The dawn of a new dawn with another golden generation?

Or the usual?

Darren Hind
5 Posted 13/06/2021 at 12:47:02
Had a little "interest" bet on England because, despite the suspect defence, I think they have a fantastic group of youngsters. But I'm finding it so hard to get excited about the team representing this nation.

Looking forward to a good game of football, but I have no nerves at all. I'm so indifferent to the entire England set-up. I would be happy for the best team to win.

Looking forward to seeing Kramaric. I thought Leicester were a bit hasty letting their record signing at the time go. He's a lot better than he showed them.

The biggest result this tournament could have had was the one the medical team had when pulling Eriksen back last night.

Paul Smith
6 Posted 13/06/2021 at 12:49:25
Good luck England.

I'm a rare breed - an Evertonian who likes England and always wants them to win.

I worry about that defence though and the QF's will be a good achievement.

Dave Lynch
7 Posted 13/06/2021 at 12:53:54
Sterling...Ffs.
He'll dance around innefectively like he usually does looking for a penalty, refuse to take the easy pass and miss his usual bag of sitters.

Kane will be forced deep to go looking for the ball, attack will be ineffective and Grealish will be pulling his hair out on the bench.

Thomas Richards
8 Posted 13/06/2021 at 12:54:17
Bookies will be made up if England win today. The short-term loss leads to the long-term gain for them. Every time.
Michael Lynch
9 Posted 13/06/2021 at 12:56:55
Trippier at left back is a bit weird. I might be being a bit thick, but I need that one explaining to me when Shaw and Chillwell are on the bench.

Also, a manager who can't find room for Grealish in his team at this particular moment in time, but can find a place for Sterling, is a very brave lad.

Dave Lynch
10 Posted 13/06/2021 at 13:02:43
Brave doesn't come into it, Michael. He's a numpty with a negative mindset. I hope I'm wrong but Croatia are no mugs, they will attack Trippier all day down the left.

A right-back at left-back with 2 natural left-backs on the bench is madness.

Michael Kenrick
11 Posted 13/06/2021 at 13:21:57
"Football's Coming Home" has to be the stupidest piece of jingoistic shite ever spouted by our beloved image-makers.

But they just love wallowing in nostalgic self-pity...

Pickford starts but Calvert-Lewin on the bench.

Robert Tressell
12 Posted 13/06/2021 at 13:22:14
That Southgate line up completely hands the initiative to a fading Croatia. Over complicating things by putting Trippier at LB, two sitting midfielders when one will do and the lack of a wonderful Grealish, someone who has the skill and courage for this stage
Darren Hind
13 Posted 13/06/2021 at 13:26:25
55 years of hurt, Michael.

Have a heart.

Dave Lynch
14 Posted 13/06/2021 at 13:31:59
Just back from bookies.

Croatia £10 win, daft not to at 9/2.

£5 Croatia/draw

£5 Perisic first scorer

Wife has broke the bank with £2 England to win 2-1

Anthony A Hughes
15 Posted 13/06/2021 at 13:38:52
Has the look of a team selection not to lose the game more than to go and win it.
Neil Copeland
16 Posted 13/06/2021 at 13:47:43
Darren #5, well said sir, this tournament is already a success based upon that, they did a fantastic job – as did his team mates.
17 Posted 13/06/2021 at 13:48:15
I knew it was a bad move to watch England in a London pub.

I should know better.

"Here we go" as they say. Looking forward to the match.

18 Posted 13/06/2021 at 13:48:53
Michael,

Saddest is part is we had a nostalgic song about 30 years of failure; now we've got a further 25 years of nostalgia surrounding the failure song in itself. It's kind of like when The Two Ronnies were on for about 15 years after which they had a highlight show: “20 Years of The Two Ronnies” which then ran for about 20 years.

At some point, let it go.

19 Posted 13/06/2021 at 14:19:52
I'm becoming a fan of Phillips
Andrew Ellams
20 Posted 13/06/2021 at 14:38:53
Kieran he's a top player who'd get a lot more attention if he was certain other clubs.

I'd take him in a hearbeat

Danny Baily
21 Posted 13/06/2021 at 14:48:29
I like Phillip's aggression, looks a bit slow though.
Craig Harrison
22 Posted 13/06/2021 at 14:50:07
They had kilbane on the pre game show here. To say he is not a fan of Pickford is an understatement. It was really strange with the amount of negative comments he had about him.
Thomas Richards
23 Posted 13/06/2021 at 14:59:30
Modric best player on the pitch first half
David Pearl
24 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:03:46
Craig, where is here?

Started okay but going through the motions at times. If they up the tempo they win.

John Keating
25 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:06:01
A guy asked me this morning while walking the dog if I'd be watching the match
Only if it's raining I said, otherwise I'm in the garden with a case of beer
Thankfully it's not raining!
Seems I've missed nothing
Might go in and watch if DCL comes on then again might not
Andrew Ellams
26 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:08:22
What I love about these tournament threads is the number of people who take time out of their days to tell us they won't be watching England
Paul Swan
27 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:12:20
Typical England, look good at high tempo but the showboaters start taking over slowing the game passing back rather than forward. Worst culprits are the City contingent.
Michael Kenrick
28 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:12:47
Good goal, good goal.
Rob Halligan
29 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:13:47
Probably the wrong people to ask this, but why is the capacity at Wembley restricted to 22.5K, or 25% of the maximum capacity, yet the cricket between England and New Zealand, held at Edgbaston in Birmingham, was allowed 18K fans, or roughly between 68% - 70% of the maximum capacity. Edgbaston has a capacity of 25K. Great to see so many fans being allowed back, both in football and cricket, with a great atmosphere for the first three days in the cricket.
30 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:13:57
Michael

How the heck is my ESPN about three minutes behind. Nice goal though

Michael Kenrick
31 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:15:02
That's was a nice move of almost scintillating forward pace and movement. All this farting about with the ball for the rest of the game is so unproductive.
32 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:15:32
Rob

Because the hooray Henry Tories prefer cricket. If it was polo there would be no cap on attendance

Michael Kenrick
33 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:16:42
Sorry, Kieran. I shall restrain myself, should there be another occasion!
34 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:17:16
Kane looks very lethargic
Andrew Ellams
35 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:18:00
Rob it's because the Edgbaston test was a pilot event trialling a larger crowd.

There was a 25% limit at Lords for the 1st Test

Michael Kenrick
36 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:18:18
Time for Dominic to show his mettle.
37 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:19:53
Michael

I remember a young Everton striker making his Mark in 86.

Jamie Crowley
38 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:20:17
Boom. Love the dudes rolling on the tarp, too funny. Just realized we're watching on delay, about 13 minutes behind. 😂
Alan McGuffog
39 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:24:07
I think anything that reduces the number of Ing er lund fans congregating in one place is a jolly good thing
Rob Halligan
40 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:24:43
Cheers Andrew. Let's hope that we can get back to full capacities everywhere soon. Think I also read somewhere that Wembley could have up to 50% capacity for the knockout games, so about 45K.
41 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:25:41
Denmark's doctor just confirmed Eriksen had a heart attack. Frightening. Young healthy man.
Jeff Armstrong
42 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:25:56
Vlasic coming on, let him go to soon, better than anything we have in midfield.
43 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:27:10
Jeff

Did you see his agent speculating he may return to Everton on a buy back clause?

Andrew Ellams
44 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:27:45
Read a bizarre statement today, if England use all 5 subs today they will have used more players in the opening game than Alf Ramsey used in the 1966 tournament
Jamie Crowley
45 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:28:56
Kieran -

It's just shocking. We're talking about a professional athlete in supreme physical condition, and a relatively young man.

Thank God he's alive.

Andrew Ellams
46 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:31:53
Rob they're hoping for 50% for the knockout games and a full house for the final but I suspect Boris will jeopardise that tomorrow
Michael Kenrick
47 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:34:20
Nowt to do with your fucken jealous god, Crowley.

It was them brilliant human medics what saved him.

Jeff Armstrong
48 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:35:38
Didn't see that Kieran, but it's ridiculous we let him go, given what we have now.
Michael Kenrick
49 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:38:44
Oh-oh... no Dom. Some young buck instead, who can probably hit the ball straight and true.
50 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:39:18
Bellingham has nerves of steel. 17 y/o leaves Brum for Deutschland. Nothing seems to phase him
Michael Kenrick
51 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:45:04
I was wrong, here he comes...!!!!
Michael Kenrick
52 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:51:14
And he didn't even get a touch.
53 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:53:34
Some nice moments but Kane looks unfit, attack was disjointed. Good result against a fading great
Fran Mitchell
54 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:53:37
Decent perform there. Didn't get Kane involved enough and we'll struggle to score against better opposition.

But a decent performance to start the tournament.

Phillips was excellent, motm.

Thomas Richards
55 Posted 13/06/2021 at 15:54:24
Michael,

Yes he did.

Jamie Crowley
56 Posted 13/06/2021 at 16:00:37
Haha Michael. I respectfully disagree, but you're correct in one aspect.

Those medics, the team captain for Denmark, even Anthony Taylor the ref, they all were on point and helped save the kid's life. No question.

Good game by England. They look very, very good in my opinion. I actually think they could win it all. But then again as they progress the English press will heap tons of pressure on the squad, and probably squash any chance of success.

Barry Hesketh
57 Posted 13/06/2021 at 16:04:39
Jenas joining the ever-growing list of pundits trying to undermine Pickford, even when he's had nothing to do in the match, I paraphrase"He plays well for England but isn't that great at his club", obviously, Jenas hasn't seen the improvement that Jordan has made at Everton since around February.
Thomas Richards
58 Posted 13/06/2021 at 16:14:07
Didnt see anything that suggests England could win the tournament.

Bookies have though.
Price down as low as 9/2 in places.

Roll up, roll up.
Its coming home, its coming home.

Darren Hind
59 Posted 13/06/2021 at 16:25:16
I'm going to study the rest of this tournament if only to see if there is a worse passer in the competition than Kyle Walker.

Defended well, but I have never seen anybody pass a ball so badly not even on Sunday Mornings.

Probably our next signing.

The early birds got 6/1 for Ingurland.

Don Alexander
60 Posted 13/06/2021 at 16:29:57
Danny (#17), it's a bad idea to be in a London pub for anything!

And Michael (#31), fully agree. The amount of sideways and backward passing is death to football. Jeez, even in time added on Croatia were still intent on such fannying about.

My Wolves-supporting second-cousin, twice-removed (c/o Rampton "hospital" mind you) assures me that Nuno has it in him to become an attacking wizard providing all his players become fluent in Portuguese.

Porro!

Thomas Richards
61 Posted 13/06/2021 at 16:32:08
Backing England to win the tournament at either 9/2 or 6/1 gets you the same return Darren.

Bookies clean up every tournament using the same methodology where the England team is concerned.

Tony Abrahams
62 Posted 13/06/2021 at 16:49:28
Enjoy your pint Danny, I can't understand anyone who doesn't like London, Don, because our capital city, is one of the greatest places in the world imo mate!

I hope your second cousin is also correct Don, and also have a bit more faith now because there are probably more geniuses in Rampton, than anywhere else in the country, and if Everton was a human being, I'm sure they'd have been sectioned years ago!

If Kyle Walker wasn't such an athlete Darren, I'd say he would probably struggle in league one?

Darren Hind
63 Posted 13/06/2021 at 16:56:06
The 6/1 I took was for the 1-0 victory today.

As it was also a "free" bet I can enjoy a rare victory over the bookies. No matter how The team do in the tournament I wont be losing.

The bookies will have to wait for the racing before they claim back their losses from me...Unfortunately thats another one of those forgone conclusions.

Tony

He`s an appalling footballer, but credit where its due. He is a marvelous example of how far hard work dedication and athleticism can take you

David Pearl
64 Posted 13/06/2021 at 16:57:03
Thomas? You mean you get nothing. Probably right.

If England cant get Kane involved they haven't a chance.

Thomas Richards
65 Posted 13/06/2021 at 16:58:45
Good for you Darren.

You posted on Friday "my money is on England to win it"

I presumed you had backed them to win the tournament.

Did you?

Craig Harrison
66 Posted 13/06/2021 at 17:02:06
David @24. Toronto
Matthew Williams
67 Posted 13/06/2021 at 17:04:37
I thought all the officials in yesterdays second match were superb,so glad Erickson is on the mend too...great news.

Great header by Moore for the Welsh lads, reminded me of Big Dunc's verses manure.

The England game looked like a friendly, good goal mind and Phillips and Ming's played well.

As for Croatia...so poor.

68 Posted 13/06/2021 at 17:29:05
Hahah fucking Pandev scores from a blunder. Come on you Northies
Darren Hind
69 Posted 13/06/2021 at 17:29:41
Got 5/1 to win the tournament outright and 6/1 for them to win 1-0 today.

Over the years, I've come to understand its just a loan

Jeff Armstrong
70 Posted 13/06/2021 at 17:35:27
Austria, a bit like the Swiss in these tournaments,a bit beige.
Anthony A Hughes
71 Posted 13/06/2021 at 17:41:20
Walker did give the ball away alot today but then lots of players do. Bit harsh to call him an appalling footballer when Guardiola picks him most weeks. He must have something.
Tony Abrahams
72 Posted 13/06/2021 at 17:51:24
Agree Darren, hard work, application, dedication, and making the best out of himself, are brilliant attributes, and Kyle Walker is simply a defensive machine, which just goes to show how little of the beautiful game is about skill, talent or even natural ability, especially in England, where speed and power are king, and also why he his probably always one of the first names on Guardiola's team sheet Anthony A!

Stop thinking it's a loan Darren, turn it into a tonny!

73 Posted 13/06/2021 at 17:51:41
Anthony

Same man claims Guardiola wanted to buy Holgate ahead of Dias. Maybe Pep likes “appalling” players

Matthew Williams
74 Posted 13/06/2021 at 17:56:09
Let's see how England get on verses Scotland,that will be a real tester... personally,I love the same scoreline as in '77.

Still to this day,it remains the second most beautiful international match I ever saw!.

James Flynn
75 Posted 13/06/2021 at 17:57:41
Vlasic's agent was asked about the lad, one question being about his former Club Everton.

Quoted, “Everton has not contacted me about Nikola, and this is not a question at the moment. But who knows what the future holds. Everything is possible”

Which quote was converted into a fairly impressive variety of internet clickbait:

"Nikola Vlasic agent sends Everton message as return rumours increase"

"The Toffees let go of Croatian attacking player Nikola Vlasic two years ago but after his impressive displays in Russia over the last two years, they're considering a return to Goodison Park"

"Now, according to reports in Russia, Everton are keen on bringing Vlasic back through a clause in his contract that gives the Toffees first refusal on any transfer for the player."

"Agent of Nikola Vlasic refuses to rule out Everton return"

Pretty impressive.

If the boy comes back to the EPL at all, it won't be Everton. He couldn't wait to leave. We made a little money selling him. That's it.

Barry Rathbone
76 Posted 13/06/2021 at 18:02:37
Mathew 74

The auld enemy clash is the nearest thing internationally to the merseyside derby with Scotland being Everton. England aren't great but Scotland are absolutely dire and will be 10 nil down after 3 mins.

Mike Gaynes
77 Posted 13/06/2021 at 18:09:23
I was watching the game with only one eye open -- it was 7am here and I had a late night -- so I didn't even notice when Vlasic subbed on. Did he have any impact?

Just reading now from the account of the Danish doctor that Eriksen went into full cardiac arrest after he reached him. The chest compressions kept on until the defibrillator shocked him back to life. You could see the shock being administered between the legs of the Danish players. Only a few years ago, those machines were not standard equipment at matches. I think the Muamba incident changed that picture. Being fully prepared yesterday was what saved Eriksen's life. Whew.

Barry Rathbone
78 Posted 13/06/2021 at 18:14:33
I didn't know Tom Davies was Austrian but there he is playing midfield for them with his blond man-bun tied masterfully.
Michael Lynch
79 Posted 13/06/2021 at 18:28:37
Fair play to Southgate, he called it just about right today in the end, with Phillips playing an absolute blinder in a more attacking midfield role than we're used to seeing him in. Turned out that was the bigger surprise than picking Trippier, and it probably won us the game.

Generally, I thought we played like a better quality version of Everton - loads of aimless passing it around, lots of turning back in the opposition half and passing to our defenders, and some very slow build-up. But it worked against a solid if unspectacular Croatia.

Pleased for Sterling to get a goal on his home turf, and I hope Bellingham gets more game time - he looks like he might be a future great.

80 Posted 13/06/2021 at 18:37:34
Macedonia love a bit of match fixing. Wonder about that last goal. Same goalie was was accused of match fixing in the 4-0 loss to Armenia.
Matthew Williams
81 Posted 13/06/2021 at 19:04:20
Barry #76... Doubtful that one Barry,think it will be a tight game...but if the Jocks do win I can't see Wembley being dismantled after the final whistle...sadly.
Mike Gaynes
82 Posted 13/06/2021 at 19:36:29
Hey, looks like our old friend Stek is starting for the Netherlands!

Somebody get hurt or come up with a positive COVID test?

Barry Hesketh
83 Posted 13/06/2021 at 19:37:51
Mike, you beat me to it, I was about to post this tweet.

When Stekelenburg made his debut, his Dutch team-mate Jurriën Timber was just one year old - how's that for staying power?

Mike Gaynes
84 Posted 13/06/2021 at 19:40:46
Yep, Barry, he's the Dutch answer to a redwood tree.

Especially going down for a shot.

(Just kidding. Sorta.)

I'm also looking forward to seeing Dumfries, our rumored new right back. Haven't watched him before.

Mike Doyle
85 Posted 13/06/2021 at 19:41:09
Kieran # 80 ] The ITV commentator described North Macedonia as “Plucky”.
I wondered if that would make them the Everton of the tournament. Then I watched their players work their bollocks off for 90 mins and realised they are nothing like us.
Barry Hesketh
86 Posted 13/06/2021 at 19:47:48
Mike @85
It's only a pity that North Macedonia, didn't have some added quality as they gave it a right good go, I feared that they'd be on the end of 4 or 5 in the last 10 minutes or so, as it was 3-1 flattered the Austrians somewhat.
Darren Hind
87 Posted 13/06/2021 at 19:56:28
Yeah Pep picks Walker for his footballing skills...Sigh.

By the way. Anybody who claims they have seen me mention Dias on this site. Is simply making shite up.

I guess its going to take a while for the bruised egos to recover

Mike Gaynes
88 Posted 13/06/2021 at 19:57:38
Barry, gotta disagree with you there... I thought the Austrians were fully worth 3-1. Lainer's finish was excellent (MOTM for me, wonder if we've ever considered him for RB), and Alaba's pass for the gamewinner was simply elegant. By contrast Pandev's goal was nothing more than an enjoyable accident, and that side didn't threaten much otherwise, despite all the good effort from the Leeds guy.
Mike Gaynes
89 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:03:25
I remember when we were rumored interested in DePay a few years back and I said I didn't want him.

I wish to state for the record that I was an idiot.

Andrew Ellams
90 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:03:33
That Dutch keeper looks familiar
Andrew Bradshaw
91 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:10:03
Early days but Dumfries looks pretty tidy.
Barry Rathbone
92 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:12:47
Got a game on here with the dutch playing old time footy trying to score every time they have possession. Shocked tbh
Colin Glassar
93 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:13:21
Very tidy, Andrew. Now everyone will be after him.
Andrew Bradshaw
94 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:15:58
That is what I thought, so typical.
Tony Abrahams
95 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:18:11
Old time footy sounds good Barry, because the more I watch football, the more I yearn for some old fashioned - forward movement - aggressive one-two's, instead of 20 passes that eventually end up where the first pass started from.

Julian Exshaw
96 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:18:24
Mykelenko, left foot, fast. Come on down!
Anthony A Hughes
97 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:21:46
OK Darren you know better than Pep, Walker is an appalling footballer with nearly 60 England caps and a
various selection of winners medals, maybe Pep and England managers just pick him because he's got nice tattoos.
Sigh...
Brent Stephens
98 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:25:51
Anthony A.
Walker is still playing for City only because they can't afford anybody else. So hard up they must be.
Fran Mitchell
99 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:26:26
Dumfries looks a heck of a player.
David Pearl
100 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:33:37
Walker can run fast and defend, didn't have the best game today but he's up there. Not as good as Gary Stevens of course. He is a natural athlete. Even though l love Seamus it always amazes me how weird he looks running.
101 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:37:01
England deserved the win. I thought they'd burnt out after the fast start, but over the 90, they were the better team and always looked the most likely to win.

Great move for the goal and you could see the space opening up as they moved forward. I can't explain, but I called it as I watched it. You can always sense / see those things.

Croatia have some good players but they looked nervous at the back and had no threat up front. Good midfield though.

Modric is absolute quality. Forden is going to be some player. And well played Pickford. Good to see him reading the game and being off his line quickly commanding his box. On more than one occasion, his defenders created a scenario that could have led to a goal had he not been alert and active.

Brent Stephens
102 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:41:07
Dumfries looks fast and very impressed with his awareness of what's going on around him when defending and his ability to step over and cover another defender.
Fran Mitchell
103 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:41:37
Dumfries misses a sitter

Absolute shite and Championship player at best. What's Brands playing at looking at him?

Andrew Bradshaw
104 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:44:20
Touche, Fran. 😅
Stephen Vincent
105 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:44:45
Dumfries just missed absolute sitter. Looks pretty good otherwise, involved alot.
Liam Mogan
106 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:51:46
Dumfries looks decent, some good Scottish full backs out there these days. Would have worked well in tandem with Brendan Galloway
107 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:52:00
If the Dutch push forward much more chasing a winner Ukraine are going to nick it on the counter. The Dutch are playing like Mexico or Portugal pre Ronaldo, lots of nice play and attack minded but no end product.
Steve Jones
108 Posted 13/06/2021 at 20:52:39
Dumfries getting up the field well but, in this match at least, the end product just isn't there and that header he was completely unmarked. An international that misses an unmarked header from a few yards out?. Nah.
Mike Gaynes
109 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:06:05
Fran, made me laugh.

I like this guy Dumfries a LOT. So much pace, yet sooooo smooth when he runs. In rhythm, like a dancer. Tremendous physical talent. His crosses go into good places and his passing is accurate. He's also surprisingly good fundamentally as a defender. Takes intelligent positions, reacts well, head on a swivel. Haven't seen him tackle yet.

Of course, his finishing totally sucks. But you can see why he scores a goal every seven games for PSV -- he gets into great positions. And besides that's not what we're getting him for.

If the rumors are true, I'm one happy boy. Yes, sign him.

110 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:15:43
The Dutch finally figured out how to crack Ukraine's defence. Must have been on the phone with Putin at half time
111 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:16:05
If we want a full back who gets us up the pitch, he looks good.

This one might get ruled out but he impacted the passage of play that led to a goal.

Robert Tressell
112 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:17:09
Tony # 95 fitness levels and various other things seems to have removed a lot of the artists from the game. I'm looking for playmakers and dribblers but very few and far between. Modric is the classiest player I've seen so far and Belgium the classiest side.
Mike Gaynes
113 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:18:46
Dumfries sure does make good things happen. Twice in just a few minutes.
114 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:19:31
I like Ali McCoist but "yeah, he's onside, that would explain it" as to why the goal was given.

Just pay me.

Andrew Bradshaw
115 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:19:36
I hope Brands got a signature and agreed fee before this game, Dumfries probably just added 10mil to his price.
Tom Bowers
116 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:23:40
Southgate is fortunate in having the best pool of young English talent to pick from in many years and this coupled with some experienced older heads should help him get this squad to the final if used the right way. If he doesn't then he should resign.
I question why he should not start Grealish who really makes things happen and the fact that they have won the last three recent games by only 1-0. This may not be enough against the other favourites.
Jeff Armstrong
117 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:25:32
Love to have got Dumfries, but the deal should have been done before the tournament, surely if we rate him he needed to be tied up before everyone else realises he is decent, again we never do business early, we are so behind the eight ball, so amateur, so Kenwright.
Sam Hoare
118 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:31:01
Similar to when we wanted Mina but waited till after the World Cup and he'd gone from £20m to £28m after some strong performances for Colombia
119 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:31:42
Modric is a joy to watch Robert @112. He was today.

What a goal from Yarmalenko.

Brian Williams
120 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:33:02
Jeff have you EVER posted anything positive, EVER?
Robert Tressell
121 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:33:03
Dumfries looks like a physical player who is intelligent enough to pick up good positions and do simple things well. A few of the other RBs we've been linked with look like better natural footballers but Dumfries could well be a good signing.
Mike Gaynes
122 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:34:23
Yarmo. Another guy I didn't want. Of course I was right. But that is one HELL of a goal.
Jeff Armstrong
123 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:36:28
Great goal by Yarmalenko, (just for you Brian.)
Sam Hoare
124 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:36:30
Wow.
Fran Mitchell
125 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:36:35
Unbelievable collapse by Holland.

De Boer is gonna get battered for this. 2-0 up, in control, changed the defense with 2 subs.

Shocking.

126 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:37:31
Still time for a Ukraine winner
Tony Abrahams
127 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:38:30
Yes Robert, the players who love the ball do seem to be few and far between now mate, but coaching is different now, a lot of it is about the big diagonal switch, and less about the little give and go.

I started watching the game and the first thing I thought when watching it, was that Liverpool have let the little Dutch midfielder go on a free, but Everton would have probably given him a four year contract, unless he his asking for an absolute fortune (which he must be) because you don't normally let players like that leave for nothing.

128 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:39:55
Agree Robert, very athletic as well.

Weghorst anyone? Looks like a proper handful and traditional striker.

This is so Holland!! I always want them to do well. Great game to watch though.

Mike Gaynes
129 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:40:29
Pat Kelly says Holland is still in this.
130 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:41:39
Have we signed him?
Peter Warren
131 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:41:54
Another good goal
Fran Mitchell
132 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:41:55
Dumfries. Boom

Well he ain't signing for us anymore

Mike Gaynes
133 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:42:38
Who's the idiot who said Dumfries couldn't finish?

Oh wait, that was me.

We can't afford him anymore.

John Cook
134 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:46:51
Break the bank for that Dumfries just what we need on the right He's missed a couple but in gets in the positions.Good game this
Frank Wade
135 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:50:15
Mike, Looking at your post #133 and watching the match and a bit confused by your comment :-) Now realise, I am watching on the plus 1 channel, an hour behind and Dumfries has just missed a header at 0-0. I see it's 3-2 so may as well stick with my Plus 1 and watch out for Dumfries.
136 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:53:27
Great game of football. Really enjoyed that.
Rob Halligan
137 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:54:57
Fifteen minutes ago, he was part of a Dutch defence that threw away a two goal lead, so I imagine the thought then was that no other club wanted him, he must be shite. Suddenly he scores a goal, then all of a sudden we can't afford him, he's going to Barcelona Real Madrid, Man city or wherever, all because he's scored a goal!!
David Pearl
138 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:56:34
Thing is Dumfries just played as a wing back with freedom of the right side. It was 1 game. We don't know how he would do in the fast paced prem. Oh but l would still hope Brands already had some contact. I'm guessing again we have 2 players from Brands and 2 from Mendes
139 Posted 13/06/2021 at 21:57:47
That made me chuckle Rob.

Taking the goal out of it, I like the look of him. First time I've watched him in honesty.

I know its hard to judge on one match, but looks more of a wing back than a defensive full back, so for those who want a Tony Hibbert, he's not your man. I like what I saw though.

Just on the criticism on the Goalkeeper for the 3rd Dutch goal, I'm going to defend him. Yes, he gets a hand to it, but if you look, there is a wicked spin on that header so it's always going away from him.

David Pearl
140 Posted 13/06/2021 at 22:01:05
Jeff 117

Haaaa haha thanks for that. We haven't signed Dumfries yet because of Kenwright. Classic. I can always guarentee laugh or 10 on tw

Colin Glassar
141 Posted 13/06/2021 at 22:10:24
BK is still in mourning for missing out on his beloved David and Roberto. Let the poor man weep in peace.
Terry White
142 Posted 13/06/2021 at 22:11:27
I liked the look of the Ukraine #9. Tall, strong on the ball, mobile and made good use of it and took his header really well.
Paul Birmingham
143 Posted 13/06/2021 at 22:16:48
Early days but it's been a decent tournament so far, good end to end games today so hopefully more good entertainment and great goals to come.

For me today the Austrian first goal and Yarmalemkos, stood out.

Let's see if Everton announce a new manager this week and things can only get better.

David Pearl
144 Posted 13/06/2021 at 22:17:59
Colin,

BKs fav Davie Moyes always warned about buying players from major tournaments. ie Besic, and remember how good El Hadji Diouf looked for Senegal?

145 Posted 13/06/2021 at 22:18:34
Rob 137

A goal makes all the difference to Evertonians. Wasn't it one goal against Bulgaria that sold us on Amokachi?

146 Posted 13/06/2021 at 22:21:01
Paul

I agree. The only negative is there haven't been any surprises it's all gone to form other than the one game where I don't think anyone much cared about the result in the circumstances. Hopefully Sweden and Hungary can rock the boat in the next few days

Rob Halligan
147 Posted 13/06/2021 at 22:23:14
Don't remember that, kieran, but jeez, I remember us signing Bernie the Bolt because he scored a last minute goal for Walsall against us in the cup. Embarrassing signing that one.
Barry Hesketh
148 Posted 13/06/2021 at 22:29:35
Mickey Walsh we signed because of his goal of the season or was it month for Blackpool - not one of our better signings. I bet there's loads that Everton have signed because of one moment of brilliance.
149 Posted 13/06/2021 at 22:34:31
France v Germany on Tuesday.

Now take that for an opening fixture!!

My favourites to win, France against a Germany team I consider to be in transition but then my son showed me their squad.

Gundugan an Tony Kroos in midfield.

That will be an interesting one.

Steve Jones
150 Posted 13/06/2021 at 22:52:01
Misses a 4yrd sitter and scores a cracker from the edge of the box yeah he's got Everton written all over him that Denzel lad!.

Looked like a pretty blunt instrument otherwise to me. He knew he was stood in the wrong place for that 2nd goal and Depay telling him to stop pleading his innocence, to the ref, and do one was funny!.

151 Posted 13/06/2021 at 23:02:59
Danny

That group may come to down goal difference v Hungary. I can see the other three each winning and losing one among themselves

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

152 Posted 13/06/2021 at 23:04:12
Richy playing as the central attacker for Brazil tonight v Venezuela in the opening game of the Copa America,
with Neymar and Jesus either side of him.

Put clean through by Neymar, bad 1st touch blew a glorious chance. From a Neymar corner Richy's head on fell to Marquinas who forced home a scrappy goal.

Another through ball by Neymar, one touch finish by Richy, correctly overturned by VAR for offside. Almost got in for another lobbing the keeper but cleared by a defender. Richy offside again any way.

Only once in their entire history have Venezuela ever beaten Brazil and ravaged as they are pre-match with 13 players and trainers testing positive for CV-19 it will be a major shock if they get anything from the game.

All Copa America games free to watch on BBC's iPlayer for those of you in the UK or those with a VPN to get around it.

Colombia and Mina v Ecuador follows the Brazil game.

153 Posted 13/06/2021 at 23:06:07
Jesus at his right hand, the Holy Spirit coming to his club. Rich has powerful friends
154 Posted 13/06/2021 at 23:07:03
Jay

Didn't the Venezuelans have 12 Covid positives today?

David Pearl
155 Posted 13/06/2021 at 23:09:30
Thanks for the tip Jay
156 Posted 13/06/2021 at 23:17:43
Agree Kieran. Going to be a tight group.

Thanks for the tip Jay - didn't realise that one. Got it on now!!

David Pearl
157 Posted 13/06/2021 at 23:21:38
The mystery has gone from this Brasil team. I fell in love with football initially, not because of Everton but because of Brasil in the 1982 world cup. Especially Eder. What a left foot he had.
Rob Halligan
158 Posted 13/06/2021 at 23:27:38
Richarlison off. Might as well turn it off!
David Pearl
159 Posted 13/06/2021 at 23:29:00
Rob, we can continue scouting for the blues.
160 Posted 13/06/2021 at 23:44:38
Great seeing how Brazil like to mix it. Saw a move earlier where they played some great intricate stuff in tight spaces. But then not averse to going direct and long when it's an option.

Watching them stroke it around at the back is very Pep / City like. It would give us kittens as they say. But patience and knowing when to go forward. But when you do, do so with intent.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

161 Posted 13/06/2021 at 00:08:13
Got to disagree with you there Danny and agree with David. There is no magic in the current Brazil side. A very ordinary team.

I've watched every minute of their last 3 games this past week - the two World Cup Qualifiers and now this - and all three were dull and tedious.

The coach Tite did a great job when he took over half way through the previous WC qualifying campaign when they were struggling and they had a good WC in Russia, as well as securing the last Copa America again held in Brazil. But now they are merely a functional side rather than an exhilarating one.

I accept, like with many elite footballers across the globe being asked to play international continental competitions and the Olympics, that many of them simply need a break from football having been 'on' for pretty much two years non-stop since the advent of the pandemic. The quality and energy levels are lacking in many games I feel now. And I'm talking all teams and all competitions.

For the Brazilians, you can also throw in that the entire squad is not comfortable with the decision to play the Copa America in Brazil at this time. A real conflict of emotions.

162 Posted 14/06/2021 at 00:19:03
Fair points Jay and I am only commenting on what I saw tonight. I didn't mean to suggest they were the Brazil we all grew up knowing and loving, more commenting on the tactics.

Whenever we watch Brazil, we want (almost expect) them to be the team we all grew up wanting to be and aspire to.

163 Posted 14/06/2021 at 01:51:26
I thought the Euros were diluted but I see Copa America is “high stakes” as after the lengthy group stage ONLY 80 percent of the teams progress to the next round. Why don't they just tell Venezuela to join CONCACAF, have Peru in a playoff with Bolivia and start at the quarter finals?

It's dull too as the aging Chile and Uruguay are on their last legs so by default, Brazil or Argentina will win.

Kristian Boyce
164 Posted 14/06/2021 at 02:49:53
Jay @161, I watched a bit of the game and I had the same thought as you about them being very ordinary. Bizarrely I think it has a lot to do with the Premier League. Many of these players are playing/played in the UK and have adjusted their style to fit our game. That old Brazilian flair has been replaced with a bit more British grit. I think Richarlison is a prime example of this.
Darren Hind
165 Posted 14/06/2021 at 03:09:36
Anthony A Hughes

If you are going to try to challenge every single point I make at least try to understand them. Pep isn't wrong. You are.

City have a team of everything, they have supremely talented footballers and they have top class Athletes. who will work their arses off..Both compliment each other

Walker can provide athleticism energy, graft, But Creator or Destroyer ?

Nah forget it...I already know you wont understand the question.

Steve Brown
166 Posted 14/06/2021 at 06:53:04
Foden was not able to make the same impact as Sterling because Walker's passing was really poor and there was little interplay between them. His defensive positional play was alright but he offered nothing going forward. Switch Trippier to right back and bring in James or Childwell.

Anthony A Hughes
167 Posted 14/06/2021 at 06:55:52
Darren, you called Walker an appalling footballer, the expert football coaches don't agree with you as they keep picking him.
Do you understand that point I made?
Andrew Ellams
168 Posted 14/06/2021 at 07:07:46
Anthony but to be fair by that logic Alex Iwobi is a premier League footballer as several coaches have continued to play him as such.
Tony Abrahams
169 Posted 14/06/2021 at 07:34:46
No premier league footballer is appalling, even the shite ones are absolutely brilliant, if we go on what they've achieved to get to that level, rather than judge them on their week to week performance.

I'd say by City's standards, Walker is possibly the worst player in the team when it comes to “playing with the ball” so hence the quote, appalling footballer, a throwaway remark, even if he's probably the last pick in the 5-aside's every single day!

Darren Hind
170 Posted 14/06/2021 at 07:35:50
I'm not even interested in the point you made. If you think its valid then just make it...But not to me

Its you who keeps ignoring other posts to challenge mine.

If you don't understand that he isn't chosen by these "expert football coaches" for his footballing skills. Its not just me you don't understand. Its them too.

The guy brings something most footballers don't have. As stated above by someone else he would struggle to get into a league one side if he wasnt such an Athlete.

Darren Hind
171 Posted 14/06/2021 at 07:47:28
Is right Tony. it was just a throw away remark...but some people are just desperate to be right for once.

I was even complimentary about walker when I said he was a marvelous example of what can be achieved with graft ffort and application. That wont register with some.
If people think that because he plays in the same team as Foden and De Bruyne, he belongs in the same bracket and that Pep picks him for the same reasons. Thats up to them.

BTW. I dont object to him being in the England team.

He brings more energy than any of the alternatives, but he repeatedly misplaced the most simple passes all afternoon yesterday. Has done for much of his career

He`s no footballer

Martin Nicholls
172 Posted 14/06/2021 at 09:37:14
Like many/most Evertonians, any interest I ever had in England was lost in the mists of time. I was however told that yesterday's starting line up was the first since 1992 to feature no red white of manure players ie no excrement! I found myself supporting them - coincidence? I think not!