Members:   Log In Sign Up

Everton worst 11

I'm bored off my head and thought I would contribute something which we all have a opinion of... Everton's worst ever 11 playing in a 4-4-2 formation. Here's mine:

Goalkeeper: Dai Davies
Right back: Earl Barrett
Left Back: Terry Darracott
Centre: Glen Keely
Centre: Carl Tiler
Right Mid: Stefan Rehn
Left Mid: Idan Tal
Centre Mid: Alex Nyarko
Forward: Brett Angell
Forward: Rod Belfitt

Subs: Jesus, I could be here all night trying to pick 5 from about 100, but Madar, Bakayoko, Hottiger, Oster, and Biley have made it!!

Manager: Mike Walker
Chairman Bill Kenwright

Don Kiddick, Liverpool     Posted 30/03/2011 at 16:42:41

Comments

Gavin McGarvey
1   Posted 31/03/2011 at 06:12:46

A bit before my time but wasn't Keeley only in the team for a couple of games? I'd be tempted to have Ablett in ahead of him, seeing as he was a Red who nearly got us relegated.

Also I know Nyarko was meant to have stunk the place out, but I am struggling to think of a more depressing selection in centre of midfield than Tobias Linderoth, so I would always have him in there.

I do think that Brett Angell would be something of a regular in that team:)
Chris Bannantyne
2   Posted 31/03/2011 at 06:24:21

Anichebe could make the team, I'd say...
Robbie Shields
3   Posted 31/03/2011 at 06:58:30

You've only named 10 players Don!!!! But actually I reckon with those 10 you'd still beat my 11:

Goalkeeper: Booby Mimms
Right back: Neil Adams
Left Back: Gary Ablett
Centre: Billy Wright
Centre: Carl Tiler
Right Mid: Phil Neville
Left Mid: Leon Osman
Centre Mid: Tobias Linderoth
Centre Mid: Claus Thomsen
Forward: Brett Angell
Forward: Mikel Madar
Matt Traynor
4   Posted 31/03/2011 at 07:13:41

Probably my alcohol-addled brain here, but I do recall:

Seeing Madar score on his debut, and several other goals ? notably away at a few games. I think fans never forgave him for missing an open goal at Anfiedd, and Ince equalising 30 seconds later. But "Who needs Cantona when we've got Mick Madar" ? really?

I'd find a place in the squad for the two we got from Tranmere ? Steve Simonsen (no way did we pay 3m for him) and Tony Thomas.

Yeah, we've had some dross down the years...

I also think I saw Li Weifeng's only game (away at Southampton ? we lost), and think he would deserve a place in the squad.

Mike Atherton
5   Posted 31/03/2011 at 08:13:33

Goalkeeper: Paul Gerrard
Right back: Earl Barrett
Left Back: Gary Naysmith
Centre: Mark Hottiger
Centre: Carl Tiler
Right Mid: Tobias Linderoth
Left Mid: David Burrows
Centre Mid: Scott Gemmal
Centre Mid: Claus Thomsen
Forward: Victor Anichebe
Forward: John Spencer

I'm only 24 so I never saw the likes of Bernie Wright.

Looking at some of these players I really do wonder how I still support Everton. It cheers me up though, looking at this team from the dark days of the 90s, it makes us look like Real Madrid now.
Mike Atherton
6   Posted 31/03/2011 at 08:56:33

Manager: Walter Smith
Chairman: Peter Johnston
Hugh Jorgan
7   Posted 31/03/2011 at 08:52:24

Hi Don

Terry Darracott was a right back if my memory serves me well and a fucking awful one at that, he was nicknamed Max Wall by the Street end if anyone does not know who Max Wall is look it up.
Add to the team, George Telfer and jim Pearson two of Gordon Lee's prize buys.

Billy "if the game starts 0-0 then it should finish that way" Bingham as manager.
Tony J Williams
8   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:01:11

Ian Wilson .....God I can't go on, that name alone sends shivers down my spine.
David Withey
9   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:01:34

This perhaps says it all about the blind negativity of a lot of people on this site. I'm no Kenwright apologist, but worse than Peter Johnson? What planet are you on?
Paul Rice
10   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:00:29

Where in the blue frig is AVDM in all this!!! The 'Alchy Darren Anderton'

Not to mention Per Krøldrup.
Lee Courtliff
11   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:19:00

I am not saying for one minute that Brett Angell shouldn't be in this squad but I have always had a lot of respect for the man. Here's why:

Shortly after he left us, my Dad told me about an interview he heard with Brett. Mr Angell said that he was in awe of the players around him, in training and in the actual games, and it soon became apparent to him that he simply wasn't good enough!

Now compare this to almost every other story you hear about a player who left a club having never been a success there. They almost always come up with excuses... it's never their fault. It was the manager, the climate, the tactics, the food, etc, etc.

For this alone Brett Angell will always have my respect. And he always tried hard. And he seemed like a nice bloke. And he did score one goal for us.

James Ford
12   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:24:47

Agree with most and I can't believe I feel like defending some but.... Madar ? nonsense.... his goals kept us up one year (I thought anyway).. and in fairness to Le Weifeng, I saw his only game and he wasn't that bad.... Claus Thomsen was though!
Ray Roche
13   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:33:23

Like the song goes, "Where do I begin....":
Bakayoko?
Samways?
Milligan?
That'll do for now. I may be back after some therapy...
Phil Rodgers
14   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:38:45

Ablett was terrible for Everton. Tony Thomas and Mitch Ward represented a pretty low point for me.

"I have told Mr Kendall I can't play all the game because it is a fast pace in the Premiership and I get tired because I'm not 20 anymore I'm almost 30. It is better that I give a good 70 minutes than an average 90. I know the fans wanted me to stay on, but I am tired." Michael Madar. ? Taken from his player profile on this site.
Derek Thomas
15   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:27:01

Don't diss the Darra. He was the Hibbert of his day. Or should I say that Hibbo is Darracott Mk 2.

When Darracott was playing, the fullback's job was to stop the winger, the ball could go past or the man could go past, but not both.

Not long after he started, we had to play the high flying Burnley who had the star of the day in winger Leighton James. He had him in his pocket, I think the cry rang out, "Darracott for England".

Darracott and Hibbert do and did exactly what it said on the tin. The trouble is, in Hibbo's case, the game has moved on.
Andrew Conroy
16   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:31:26

Matt (#4), took the words right out of my mouth. Madar was who I was thinking of in particular on the '3 Moans...' post about how the retrospective stick some players unfairly come in for really gets on my tits.

As I remember, Madar scored a fair few goals for us in adverse circumastances, but it was the miss in the Anfield derby at a time when we were really in the shit that did for him. As I also remember, he'd run Liverpool ragged in the first half, and even had a shot ? a volley, no less ? from the half-way line that their keeper tipped onto the bar.

At half-time, the red that I was watching the game with said if Liverpool didn't get hold of Madar they'd be fucked. When he missed the sitter in the second half, I turned to my mate and said that it was the sort of thing that no player could come back from, and that Madar in that one moment was finished at Everton.

I'd certainly have him in any Everton side over Spencer, Barlow, Bakayoko, Anichebe, Branch, Jeffers, or Beattie. Beattie!! That jester!!! I wonder how the rust on his Lamborghini's dealing with the sea air at Blackpool?

Robbie #3, that's a bad team, but put at an even more distinct disadvantage because you're playing Neil Adams and Pip out of their positions. Moyes would love you!
Trevor Lynes
17   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:41:47

If you go further back the team that got relegated to the then 2nd Division had a few Brahma's too eg: Ted Buckle, Oscar Hold, Greenhalgh etc etc... but VDM MUST be in every poor eleven as he got good money for fuck all!!!!!!!
Steve O'Malley
18   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:47:41

If Bernie Wright couldn't make that team, I would give it away. I will get a couple of drinks down me and I am sure I can come up with a few other gems...
Rob Prince

20   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:51:46

Niclas Alexandersson.
John McLauchlin .
Neil (dissa) Pointon.
Jigsaw Barlow.
Jim Arnold.
John Ebbrell, who for me never warranted a place in the team.
Chris Wright
21   Posted 31/03/2011 at 09:58:21

Ahhh a favourite pre-match game for me and my mates... we never can agree on an eleven though, but here is mine for the record (I've followed EFC since the mid-80s):

Paul Gerrard
Tony Thomas, Carl Tiler, Peter Clarke, Gary Naysmith

Mitch Ward, Claus Thomsen, Scott Gemmill, John Oster

John Spencer, Ibrahim Bakayoko.

Have you ever noticed how many shit right backs we have had?
Paul Holmes

Mark Pembridge
John Oster
Stuart Barlow
?
Mike Atherton
23   Posted 31/03/2011 at 10:03:17

How could I forget Niclas Alexandersson. The slowest winger of all time, I already thought he was dreadful but the final nail in the confirm was when he moved out of the way for the McAllister free kick.
Paul Olsen
24   Posted 31/03/2011 at 10:11:53

Tough, tough call. I'll opt for players with more than just a couple of games for the club.

GK: Gerrard
RB: Hottiger
CB: Thomsen
CD: Tiler
LB: Ablett
RM: Van der Meyde
CM: Williamson
CM: Gemmill
LM: Farrelly
ST: Barlow
ST: Angell

Squad players: Krøldrup, Anichebe, Jô, Linderoth, Pembridge, Alexandersson, Tal, Cleland, Barrett, Nyarko, O'Kane, Mitch Ward, Newell...
Duncan McDine
25   Posted 31/03/2011 at 10:20:44

Lee (22) - Pembo should be nowhere near that team.... got a point with the other 2 though.

I'd honestly put Cadamateri and Anichebe in there somewhere.
David Thomas
26   Posted 31/03/2011 at 10:31:43

Robbie,

If Neville and Osman are in your worst Everton 11 ever, you must be quite a new fan?

Having watched Everton for over 50 years i can guarantee we have had players that make those two look like world beaters.
Jimmy Hacking
27   Posted 31/03/2011 at 10:25:54

Paul #24 ? Gareth Farrelly's goal against Coventry surely makes him one of our greatest ever 11?

Just to be different, here's my "most disappointing" first team, from the last 20 years, based on injuries, unfilfilled expectations, over-the-hill mercenaries (and how many of THOSE have we had?) etc., partly since It seems a bit fair to me to pick on players who never had Premier League ability in the first place:

GK Paul Gerrard, the future England No 1

RB Earl Barrett (watched him play for Oldham a few times; I have never seen a right-back have such an effect on matches. awesome player in his prime)

LB Terry Phelan

CB Per Krøldrup
CB Craig Short (for some reason I got dead excited when we signed him)
LM David Ginola
RM Van der Meyde
CM Paul Gascoigne
CM Stephen Hughes
FW Louis Saha
FW Duncan Ferguson (yes, yes, say what you like, for me he should have been twice as effective as he was).
John Barnes

Garry Stanley
Eamonn O'Keefe
Rod Belfitt
Bernie Wright

Manager
Tommy Casey

Quite a dire team I'd say and if I remember correctly only Garry Stanley didnt live up to expectation. The rest were shite before they arrived and never again achieved that level in a blue shirt!!! McLaughlin's nickname sums him up. Keeley managed 30 mins in a derby match and got himself sent off to save himself from further emabarassment
Steve Carter
29   Posted 31/03/2011 at 11:18:57

Bit of a laugh me there, John Barnes, with you naming Lawson as your worst ever keeper and Don starting off with Dai Davies as his. They were our first and second choices in the '70s, with Drew Brand third!
Paul Olsen
30   Posted 31/03/2011 at 11:28:40

Sure Farrelly had THAT goal, but he was damn awful and a good contributor to us finding ourselves in that position on the final day of the season.

Charlie Dixon
31   Posted 31/03/2011 at 11:29:37

Linderoth is Number 1 for me. That midfield with Alexandersson, Pembridge and Carsley was truly the pits.

Remember that Rodrigo lad playing about 20mins. He can be included. As can Angell and that shithouse Radzinski.
Paul Olsen
32   Posted 31/03/2011 at 11:32:48

As for the "most disappointing" option, I'd like to add the names of Mo Johnston and John Collins. Both excited me when they arrived, but failed miserably to really make a difference.

Might even say Daniel Amokachi, but he is forever redeemed after Tottenham.
Paul Rice
33   Posted 31/03/2011 at 11:31:59

Espen Baardsen surely must be in with a shout.

Didn't he play 1 game and ship 4 goals?
Alan Clarke
34   Posted 31/03/2011 at 11:50:31

Bilyaletdinov must surely be close to being added to the list. If he was sold this summer, he'd be up there with Per Krøldrup as the most ineffective expensive signing to play for the club.
Paul Gladwell
35   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:09:43

It says something for our team now then if Osman is in yours Robbie, as of late he has been our best player by a mile and I dread to think what would happen if he gets injured, as he and Baines are the only two left to create anything.
Mitchell Wilton
36   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:18:01

RODRIGOL!!!!!!
Mitchell Wilton
37   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:18:25

Looks like Charlie beat me to it!
Norman Merrill
38   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:12:17

Things must be dull, when we have to resort to picking out poor players.
I am not going to write mine down, as I would be here all day.
John Hughes
39   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:26:29

What about Bernie "the bolt" Wright?
By the way, I think its a bit disrespectful to have Jesus as sub!
Tony J Williams
40   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:35:49

Alan 34, this "flop" last season scored more goals and probably had more assists than our "best " player Pienaar.... does that mean Pienaar should be there before him?
John Crook
41   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:39:19

R Wright
T Thomas C Tiler P Krøldrup M Ward
P Degn C Thomsen D Williamson S Hughes
J Spencer B Angell

The perfect Sunday morning team if ever there was one...
Michael Brien
42   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:50:41

Bernie Wright is not only the worst player I have ever seen playing for Everton ? he is the worst player I have ever seen in the top division. Together with Rod Belfitt, he formed the worst ever "striker partnership" in our modern history. Thankfully they didn't play too many matches together ? when they did, it sent fear down the spines of all Evertonians.

Bret Angell was an international class player in comparison to Bernie Wright.
Michael Brien
43   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:55:24

Danny Williamson - whatever happened to him ? Didn't he form a midfied partnership with Lord Lucan and Martin Borman ?
Alasdair Mackay
44   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:45:53

Baardsen
Paul Holmes, Carl Tiler, Per Krøldrup, David Burrows
Peter Degn, Claus Thomsen, Mitch Ward, David Ginola
Brett Angell, Ibrahima Bakayoko

I think it's unfair to pick players out of position (especially when they were rubbish enough in there preferred positions).
Van der Meyde can consider himself very lucky not be in my team of pap. His cross for Gosling's goal was enough!
Chris Wright
45   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:58:48

List of most disappointing must include Thomas Gravesen ? one good game in five if we were lucky.
Brian Denton
46   Posted 31/03/2011 at 10:51:59

I've been watching Everton for nearly 50 years (ouch....!) and we have had enough tripe to populate an entire Division's worth of teams, never mind one squad.

I think picking Glenn Keeley on the basis of THAT game/30 mins (which was all he ever played for Everton) is a bit lazy. It's also tempting to make the assumption that Crap Team = Crap Players, but it's not true. On disappointments, some of Harvey's buys ? when we DID have a good team ? must come into play. Mike Milligan anybody?

Ian Wilson was undoubtedly the slowest winger I've ever seen, and possibly on the planet.

Terry Darracott and Mike Bernard were in a league of their own. I remember at Villa once when Bernard fell over and for some reason instinctively grabbed the ball. Somebody shouted "He must have thought it was a pint !"
Steve Guy
47   Posted 31/03/2011 at 13:10:06

Robbie Shields (#3) ? completely disagree with Osman's name appearing here. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there is no way he is in this category
Adam Bennett
48   Posted 31/03/2011 at 13:17:47

Of those I have seen:

GK Paul Gerrard (mainly for allowing McAllister?s free-kick to go in, which is the worst piece of goalkeeping I have ever ever seen);

RB Tony Thomas;
CB Per Krøldrup;
CB Carl Tiler;
LB David Burrows;

RM Mitch Ward;
CM Claus Thomsen;
CM Stephen Hughes;
LM Ian Wilson (Harvey to the physio ? ?You were supposed to take him off and leave the sponge on!?);

F Stuart Barlow (I will never ever forgive him for the Anfield derby when he missed 18 sitters and Ronnie Rosental scored in the last minute for them. We lost 1-0);
F John Spencer.
Tony J Williams
49   Posted 31/03/2011 at 13:17:10

Brian, Ian Wilson is the only Everton player I have booed. I remember it vividly, it was a FA Cup replay game against Wednesday and a perfect pass was put to him down the line. He stood there and watched it trickle out of play...

That was my straw that broke the camel's back and I found this strange noise emanating from my throat.... a boo for one of our own. I almost passed out.

Ray Roche
50   Posted 31/03/2011 at 13:16:24

I couldn't STAND Earl Barrett, however, Ryan Giggs has said on different occasions that he was the most difficult full back he ever played against. How strange is that?
Tony J Williams
51   Posted 31/03/2011 at 13:20:55

It's a bit unfair to put Per in there. He played two competitive games for us.

I remember watching our pre-season friendly against his formaer club and thinking this one was a player. His passing was neat and tidy and his defending was good.

An injury and rumours later and he was gone.

Arsenal were interested in him a season before us and he has gone on to a good career in Italy. Not a bad player in my eyes, just didn't fit in with us.
Ste Traverse

CM: Simon Davies
CM: Claus Thomsen
CF: Stuart Barlow
CF: Brett Angell
John Maxwell
53   Posted 31/03/2011 at 12:32:37

Jason Kearton? Anyone remember a game he played against Lincoln in the League Cup 1993?? Shocking !!

Paul Holmes was bad, I remember Mike Walker's first game at Bolton in the Cup..... Holmes's intended clearance from the 18 yard box hit the bar!?!

Also, I know he never played a second of football for us, Anthony Gardner was signed on loan from Tottenham while injured and returned injured.....

There's many more, quite a few replacements for our great team of the 80s which Harvey signed....
Mike Atherton
54   Posted 31/03/2011 at 13:45:49

Ste 52 ? Great shout with Simon Davies, he was awful. I genuinely don't know how he became a professional footballer as he did not have a single quality.
Conor Waters
55   Posted 31/03/2011 at 13:16:00

Charlie #31 ? a bit harsh picking Carsley. I think he turned out to be a great signing from Coventry for only £1.8M, a great servant to the club and a model pro.

Linderoth was awful ? didn't add anything to the team. We also had a habit of signing duds well past their prime e.g. Ginola, Gascoigne, Mark Hughes just to name a few.

Stephen Hughes was another awful player, cost £3m which was big bucks at the time and was given the number 10 shirt!
Alan Clarke
56   Posted 31/03/2011 at 13:52:45

Simon Davies was awful. If you apply Tony J Willliams's logic, though, he must have been quite good because he scored a couple of goals and had a few assists.
David O'Keefe
57   Posted 31/03/2011 at 13:45:34

GK: Richard Wright
RB: Mitch Ward
LB: Alessandro Pistone
CB: Slaven Bilic
CB: Earl Barret
RM: Niklas Alexandersson
LM: Gary Naysmith
CM: Claus Thomsen
CM: Gareth Farrelly
CF: James Beattie
CF: John Spencer

Subs: Paul Gerrard, Mark Pembridge, Peter (fatarse) Degn, Ibrahima Bakayoko, Paul Holmes, Stephen Hughes, Li Tie
Tony J Williams
58   Posted 31/03/2011 at 13:58:11

Simon Davies scored one goal for us against Birmingham in a 1-0 win with those dodgy silver away kits.

A bit different to 7 goals in a season.
Paul Rice
59   Posted 31/03/2011 at 15:08:38

We do need to be clear if we're talking about dissapointing players or utter squirrel turd players.

Big Dunc would be my most dissapointing player ? what could've been if only his body could stand up to the punishment.

Slaven Bilic was quite shite as well wasn't he? I seem to recall he admitted that he used to nail about 20 fags a day too.
Paul Rice
60   Posted 31/03/2011 at 15:31:57

.........as in smoke - not queer bash.
Ste Boyle
61   Posted 31/03/2011 at 15:35:47

I love these threads, genuinley in tears with some of the memories

Too many to list...
Ian Wilson was genuinley worth his place in any of the teams above, Paul Holmes wasn't far behind. Marc Hottiger, Claus Thomsen, Stefan Rehn, VDM, Danny Williamson, Farelly, even John Ebbrell was shit. What about Espen Baardsen in goal... I weep in despair.
Christopher McCullough
62   Posted 31/03/2011 at 15:50:26

John 28 "McLaughlin's nickname sums him up." How?! My imagination is running wild.

David 58: Farrelly was, indeed, shite. But he scored such an important goal he doesn't deserve to be mentioned on this thread. Same goes for VDM, for that cross.

Gemmill and Pembridge were not the worst Everton players but they depress me the most for some reason.
Charlie Dixon
63   Posted 31/03/2011 at 16:12:59

I wasn't picking on Carsley, just stating the lack of quality in that side.

What happened to Radzinski after he moved to that "bigger club" Fulham? Bar that brace against Southampton he was about as shit as they come.
Alex Kociuba
64   Posted 31/03/2011 at 16:20:36

A little bit unfair having Alexandersson and Pistone!

Alexandersson was very average but not 'worst' (also a Swedish international).

Pistone was quality on many occasions, it's puzzling he is mentioned at all.
Ted Smeethes
65   Posted 31/03/2011 at 16:54:22

John Ebbrell was brilliant, truly one of the most underated players we ever had. His tackling, commitment, passing ? truly an all time great, can't believe he has been mentioned as a bad player by some.
Paul Rice
66   Posted 31/03/2011 at 17:01:31

Maybe I missed something with Ebbrell too but I was under the impression (aside from the fact he couldn't shoot for shinola) that he was a pretty useful dog of war.

Michael Branch, now you come to mention it, was really, truely shite... he was the typical new kid on the block with nothing but speed and no pubes.

Last I saw of him he was getting binned off by Chester.
Brian Waring
67   Posted 31/03/2011 at 17:40:10

I'm with Alex on Pistone.
Kev Wood
68   Posted 31/03/2011 at 18:33:11

Anybody remember David Johnson, a striker for a couple of bad old years in the early 80s? I didn't go to a lot of games then but I don't think I ever saw him put a foot right in the ones that I did see.
John Campbell
69   Posted 31/03/2011 at 18:45:18

Anyone remember a bloke called Williamson, signed him from West Ham???

Ebbrell was class... along with Joe Parkinson.
Joe McMahon
70   Posted 31/03/2011 at 18:43:32

As others have said, it's a bit Harsh on Madar, I remember a brilliant finish at Spurs. Also Bakayoko woke me up with a 25-yard screamer against Southampton, it was the winner in yet another awfull Goodison match.

But Le Tie, Bily, Branch, Barlow I could go on, but for me (as he has just ben awarded a new contract) Big Vic, is just plain dreadful.
David Thomas
71   Posted 31/03/2011 at 18:47:22

Kev 68,

Yes he was shite. Especially between 76-82.
Colin Ryan
72   Posted 31/03/2011 at 18:54:08

Where do you start?

Baardsen
Thomas Tiler Ablett Burrows
Shandy Milligan Farrelly Ginola
Chadwick Anichebe

Bench

Williamson Hottiger Gemmill Angell Nyarko

Manager
M Walker.

Don Kiddick
73   Posted 31/03/2011 at 18:51:35

Thanks for the response to my thread, all of everybodies opinions and choices are valid contenders......it is a really hard thing to whittle down the hundreds of utter shite to just 11, many more spring to mind, and I was very tempted to put in big Vic in there because that twat is singlehandingly making my life a misery at the moment.
Andy Crooks
74   Posted 31/03/2011 at 19:09:10

I think Gascoigne and Ginola ? not in their prime, but how they were for us ? is as bad as it gets. If Ginola had pockets in his shorts his hands would surely have been in them.
Pat Finegan
75   Posted 31/03/2011 at 19:18:08

Anichebe on the list over Jô? Not a chance. Jô was far worse.
David Hallwood
76   Posted 31/03/2011 at 19:56:54

Don, I think you should have laid down some conditions; for instance they must've played at least 20 games or even a season to ascertain that the shiteness wasn't just a one-off.

The problem is that there's too many to mention, jeez we've seen some shite over the years (nobody mentioned Joe-Max Moore!!) but Claus Thomsen and Ian Wilson come close to the worst I've seen.

There are plenty of forwards to choose from and I'm privileged to have seen Belfitt, Wright, Angel, Barlow but my all time shite forward is? Take a bow Victor Anichebe, no talent coupled with shite attitude makes him a unique ?footballer?.

Ged Alexander
77   Posted 31/03/2011 at 20:52:04

Rod Belfitt turned it round, actually, and scored a heap... or was that Peter Eastoe?
Nathan O'Hagan
78   Posted 31/03/2011 at 20:52:51

Madar and Bakayoko always feature in these things, but people need to remember the first season Madar came, he scored about 9 very important goals which helped keep us up, and formed a decent partnership with Big Dunc.

Bakayoko was bad, but he scored a few crucial goals too. I especially remember an evening game away at Blackburn. We were really struggling, we played with 4 centre backs across the back 4, with Unsy and Weir in centre-mid, with I think John O'Kane on right wing. We went 1-0 down early on, and if we'd lost that I think we would have gone down, Bakayoko scored 2 goals, each made by Don Hutchison, we won 2-1 and went on a run of not losing in 3 I think.

We stayed up and Bakayoko played his part in that. For those reasons, despite not being good players, those players maybe should be remembered slightly more fondly than they are?

Adrian Arnold

LM Idan Tal
AT Marcus Bent
AT Francis Jeffers
Michael Kenrick
80   Posted 31/03/2011 at 21:11:07

Here ya go, Nathan: Blackburn (A), 1999

It was a crucial 6-pointer that took us up above the drop zone... But we lost the next four (Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and a shocking home defeat to Sheffield Wednesday) before we won those three on the trot.

It was Kevin Campbell who saved us that season with 9 goals; he scored a brace in each of those three games (Coventry, Newcastle, Charlton) plus a hat-trick when we put six past West Ham, and we stayed up comfortably. Mickey Madar had already left at Christmas 1998; it was the previous season where his 6 goals (not 9) had played their part.

ps: We are getting most of our old ToffeeWeb files back up that chronicle these dark days in all their gory detail, so feel free to browse. You'll still hit "Page not found" a few times, I'm afraid, but we're slowly fixing them too...

Nathan O'Hagan
81   Posted 31/03/2011 at 21:16:35

My 11 of shame:

Gerrard
Thomas, Tiler, Keown, Pistone
Mitch Ward, Rehn, Nyarko, Ian Wilson
Beattie, Spencer

Subs:- Baardsen, Langley, Hottiger, Rodrigo, Jô

Andrew James
82   Posted 31/03/2011 at 21:21:33

Osman? You got to be kidding?

Ebbrell? Our creative passer before being converted into a Dog of War which eventually saw him pick up the injury that forced his early retirement. Played through thick and thin. Pivotal in the season we stayed up and unlucky not to make the FA Cup winning team. No way should he be anywhere near a list like this.

Danny Williamson was anonymous really. All I know is that we swapped Unsworth for him plus a small fee to West Ham. Redknapp was stitching us up even back then! We paid the same to get Unsworth back and Williamson???
Sean McCarthy
83   Posted 31/03/2011 at 21:25:43

So many names to choose from....... Some of my 'favourites' include:
Drew Brand in goal (only 1 game yet conceded 5 so he beats Baardsen!!)

Ferguson up front.... Mick that is, not Duncan!! He was up front with Biley!! Must have put the fear of god up defenders!! Then again, maybe not!!

VDM... he played for Inter AND Ajax!! How?? I witnessed a grown man getting his name printed onto his Everton shirt a matter of weeks before he was clearly going to be booted out the Club. I asked the bloke why he was getting VDM on his £40 shirt. The reply: "He's my favourite player." I could've cried for the lad!!

Anichebe has to be up there with the very worst we've had play for us. His redeeming factor is... what exactly?? Can't shoot, pass, head, tackle, score. He can barely stay on his feet!! A truly AWFUL player.

Carl Tiler... big bean pole who was regularly beaten in the air.

John Spencer... we were struggling badly in those days and he was hardly going to be a shining beacon amongst the dross was he??

I could go on and on and on... it depresses me too much!!
Martin Handley
84   Posted 31/03/2011 at 21:35:00

David Lawson
Paul Holmes
Kenny Sansom
Per Krøldrup
Carl Tiler
Ian Wilson
Terry Curran
Claus Thomsen
Stephen Hughes
Brett Angell
Mikey Walsh

Subs: Jim Arnold, Tony Thomas, Slaven Bilic, Alan Biley, Danny Williams, Ray Atteveld, Mick Ferguson.

THEY SUCK!

Manager: Mike Walker.

Ian Mullin
85   Posted 31/03/2011 at 22:29:59

Stefan Rehn ..... crap ... i remember him coming on as a sub and he was that crap he was subbed off again ... lmao
Tom Bowers
86   Posted 31/03/2011 at 23:16:23

This is a torturous and depressing topic. We have had far too many losers playing for Everton over the last 50 years and I saw most of them. I could easily write a book but just like picking all the good players everyone would have far different opinions as seen in the previous replies. Fair to say however that a lot of them reflected the quality of manager we had at the time. It seemed that the club motto was ignored on many occasions when some of these players were recruited.

My select few ? Bernie (the Bolt) Wright, Eamon O'Keefe, Tommy Jackson, Glenn Keeley, Gary Jones, George Telfer, Terry Darracott, Frank Darcy and last but not least, Leon Osman.

Yeah, I know some of you Osman lovers will be up in arms but he really is crap, guys. As I said, everyone has their own list of losers.

Brian Denton
87   Posted 31/03/2011 at 23:40:45

Tom, I can't agree re Gary Jones. He could have been a really good player if he'd had the application. A bit like Bill Kenny.
David Hallwood
88   Posted 01/04/2011 at 00:49:12

Agree with Brian Denton (#87); I remember Gary Jones making a holy show of John Gidman when he was considered one of the best full backs in the country. Talent to burn... bad attitiude.
Pat Finegan
89   Posted 01/04/2011 at 00:34:47

Totally disagree about Osman being on the list. He is a central midfielder and NOTHING else. When he gets played out of position, he isn't too great.

The problem with Ossie is that he is over-used. He is very useful as a squad player, appearing as a sub or a back-up. He is consistent, wholeheartedly committed to the club and, most importantly, he makes a fraction of what Arteta, Jags, Cahill, Fellaini, and all the other starters make.

I'm not saying he is a great player, not at all. I'm saying he is useful and and Everton are better with him than without him.
David Hallwood
90   Posted 01/04/2011 at 00:56:12

Speaking of worst 11, any here you fancy http://cards.littleoak.com.au/198283_fks_soccer82/everton.htm
Don Kiddick
91   Posted 01/04/2011 at 01:38:13

David at Number 76, I take your point that I should've set some criteria; however, it was a last-minute fun thing. But recalling some of the names others have come up with has given me nightmares...

Geoff Nulty just won't leave my mind now, aaaarrggghhhh!

Joe Harper!!!!

Big Vic !!... Big Vic!!!... Big Vic !!!... Big Vic... Big Vic.... please god, take this Vic out of my mind, I think I am possessed.... somebody help.... I am going to end it all... please help me!

Robbie Shields
92   Posted 01/04/2011 at 02:47:08

Guys, you're right, Osman should not be included in this list because he has got a lot of talent and ability, whereas the others didn't, and you do get one good game in 10 from him, but he has improved of late and has upped this to 1 in 5. But he is very lightweight; in my all non-stars team I'm pretty damn sure it would've been one of his very bad games!

So I take that back and would instead put in Mike Milligan, but I'm sticking to my guns on Neville.

As for Madar, my overriding memory is of course the derby miss, and so that probably has clouded my judgement somewhat, and I do remember thinking he was good at the time. Old Barn-door Barlow should be in instead.
Joe McMahon
93   Posted 01/04/2011 at 03:24:31

Predrag Radosavljevic (Preki). Jo was only here on loan, so with me it's still Big Vic, certainly in the last 10 years. Tobias Linderoth was also another heap of crap.

Does anyone remember another inspiring Moyes cup exit to Shrewsbury the year they were relegated to the conference? Some classic names such as Gemmil, I don't remember Rooney playing though.

www.football-england.com/shrewsbury_town_2_everton_1.html
Steve O'Malley
94   Posted 01/04/2011 at 04:12:58

Kev Wood (#68). You must have seen Davie Johnson after he returned to the club following stints with the Reds and Ipswich.

When he started with us in 69-72, he was a decent player with a ton of pace. He scored 11 goals in 49 appearances which by today's Everton standards is magnificent for a forward. No way is Dave Johnson in the worst 11.

On the other hand, we had 1 season and 2 goals from Bernie Wright before he went back to Walsall.

Unfortunately Anichebe reminds me of a tanned version of Bernie. Big shoulders, no football brain and not an ounce of skill in any aspect of the game. Totally useless.

Greg Anderson
95   Posted 01/04/2011 at 04:25:29

Let's face it, from the squads of our darkest era ? 1992-2002 ? you could easily make about 6 or 7 all-time shite teams.

It would be much quicker to say which players from those hideous years were NOT a total disgrace to the Everton name. For me they would include only: Big Nev, Kanchelskis, Limpar, Hinchcliffe, Watson, Collins, Hutchison, Campbell. Almost everyone else disgraced the shirt by their sheer mediocrity, while "Big Dunc" disgraced it simply by being himself, a colossally selfish oaf.

These are halcyon days compared to those lost years of our history.

Derek Thomas
96   Posted 01/04/2011 at 08:02:14

Unless it was part of the sponsorship deal I never saw just what Li Tie ever did to get a place, nevermind keep one.
Michael Brien
97   Posted 01/04/2011 at 08:16:09

Anyone know what happened to Danny Williamson? And Stephen Hughes? They both seemed to disappear without trace, whilst they were still with us?

A player that I would certainly not put in a worst Everton team ? but into a team labelled: "Promised so much but didn't fulfill their potential" is Alan Whittle. He scored lots of goals towards the end of the title winning season in 1969-70, and a bright future looked to be his for the taking, but sadly it wasn't to be.

I think the reason he sprang to mind is because of the date: 1st April. It's 41 years ago today that we clinched the title with a 2-0 win v West Brom at Goodison. Perhaps after all the talk of rubbish players, we should raise a glass to the lads of 1970 ? especially the two skippers sadly no longer with us. Can't believe it's 41 years ago!!
Kev Wood
98   Posted 01/04/2011 at 09:02:04

Fair comment Steve (94). It was his second spell at Goodison that I remember.
Ray Roche
99   Posted 01/04/2011 at 09:07:10

Michael, if your records are still not up to scratch you can find all match reports and results for season on season via The Sporting Life archives.
Some very interesting reading, also gives the team line-up.

Ray Roche
100   Posted 01/04/2011 at 09:23:28

Michael, if you read the reports from the 1997-98 season,especially the last game versus Coventry, it brings back all the angst and ultimate relief from the last days draw which kept us up. I remember driving home emotionally exhausted and hearing one of the Grantchester family saying on Merseyside that that scenario would never be allowed to happen again. Words are cheap.
Paul Rice
101   Posted 01/04/2011 at 09:45:41

I can't see how people find this depressing.......its a damn less depressing than whinging and whinging about the current team.

Its practially like comic relief!!

Ray not aruging for the sake of it but........that scenario hasn't happened again since has it? 13 years is a long time to remember but I'm pretty sure it hasn't
Peter Bradshaw

13. Drew Brand
14. Danny Williamson
15. Slaven Bilic
16. Alex Nyarko
17. Glen Keeley
18. Alan Biley

Could have gone on forever really
Ray Roche
103   Posted 01/04/2011 at 10:57:27

Paul Rice

Paul, at the time, the Grantchester family were clearly suggesting that investment would follow and Everton would not be in that position again, relying on,what is clear from the posts on this thread, crap players to scramble results at the end of the season. The Sporting Life archives only point out how much better we are now under Moyes than we were in those dark days.

I thought it would interest readers of these pages, especially the Sheff Wed game when we lost at home. Driving back from that match, the four of us in the car were all convinced that we'd go down, and but for Farrelly's goal against Coventry, we would have. Imagine listening to the Smiths on the day your dog died and your missus ran off with the window cleaner... that scenario would be like the fucking Glee Club in comparison.

Duncan McDine
104   Posted 01/04/2011 at 12:02:52

Ray, that is beautiful... I almost wet myself.
Leon Marshall
105   Posted 01/04/2011 at 12:15:51

What about Philip Senderos?
Ray Roche
106   Posted 01/04/2011 at 12:58:25

Aye, Duncan, I'm getting to be that age myself.....
Peter Warren
107   Posted 01/04/2011 at 13:16:25

unsure if loan signing count - but Jo would have to up front
Steve Ferns
108   Posted 01/04/2011 at 13:50:52

Linderoth was a great player for Sweden and he never seemed to get going for us, he was often played out of position or didn't get a lengthy run of games. Also he liked to play in front of the back four, which for sweden made him a play maker but for Everton meant that he had to be a tough tackler, and he certainly didn't have the frame for that. When given time on the ball he was certainly a good passer, could read a game well and could break up play. He was a disappointment for me thanks to his obvious talent but does not deserve to be on such lists.

Alex Nyarko's time at Everton was baffling. Does anyone remember his goal against Tottenham, he had so much clas sand skill and reguarly showed it at international level. I think he could not deal with Archie Knox and his baseball bat and I've seen stories of him crying in the dressing room at half time. For talent he should not be on this list, but his last two years was awful, the worst thing about him was Dunford only getting a 4 year work permit to go with a five year contract. I mean what the fuck was that about?

Danny Williamson is another who should not be on this list. Danny was a superby young player. Very highly rated and cost big money from West Ham. unfortunately when we signed him he had a foot injury which got worse and worse, and whilst he did pull on the jersey, he was never fit and never had a chance to show us what he was about.

Ebbrell was a superb player. The under 21 Ebbrell was so much different to the injury ravaged player at the end of his career, but you can't fault him as he gave 100% and played through the pain barrier to the extent that his career was over much earlier than it should have been. Les Helm and his painkilling injections I think.

To get in this side people should be actually crap, or like Andy Van Der Meyde, a shadow of their former selves through their own fault, i.e. big boozer, not because time and injury had taken their toll (i.e. Ginola and Gazza).

I didn't think Barrett was that bad, and remember Racist (Big) Ron saying he was the best man marker in the game every time he touched the ball in commentary. And he was good enough to get 2 england caps before he came to us.

My Side:

Baardsen

Tony Thomas
Carl Tiler
Koldrup
Neil McDonald

Mitch Ward
Mark Hughes (my all time hate figure of football - such a dirty player and now a dirty manager)
Claus Thompsen
Scott Gemmill

Brett Angell
Mo Johnston or Scott Spencer
Tony J Williams
109   Posted 01/04/2011 at 14:54:54

How can Kroldrup be in the lists when he open played one league game for us?

Then again the subbed sub Rehn is up there too.
Steve Ferns
110   Posted 01/04/2011 at 15:06:06

He might have only played one League game for us, but he played more in the cups. And he had an absolute nightmare everytime he went up for a header. The sheer size of the price tag and the fact that he hardly did anything right makes him a certainty in this list for me.
Paul Rice
111   Posted 01/04/2011 at 15:45:58

HAHA Sorry Ray I got the wrong end of the stick ? I thought you meant a last game bailout.

Tony ? I sort of agree what yours saying with Krøldrup but I put him in on the basis that he was a defender with a reported phobia of heading the ball!!!!!
Karl Meighan
112   Posted 02/04/2011 at 21:10:59

Carl Tiler making lots of squads but I reckon Mike Walsh, the big blonde thing (and not to be mistaken with the striker from Blackpool) was worse. Some whoppers on here though with Angell and Ferguson (Peter Sutcliffe lookalike, not Big Dunc) a tremendous strike pairing.