Mirallas as a Center Forward?

Comments (22) jump to end

Like most of you, the new manager has us excited and optimistic. There are so many variables and possibilities. How he sees the players might be totally different to how Moyes did and how the dynamics work with his personality is all up in the air. Of course it will slowly unfold as the new season develops.

The centre-forward spots seem to be a major area for us. So much good build-up play and possession in the last season with no end product. Jelavic might shine like he did in his first season and Roberto might just play to his strengths or he may want to sell and bring in new blood.

Kevin Mirallas is a forward and I don't see why we can't use him as an out-and-out striker. He certainly knows where the goal is. Is that such a crazy idea?

Gary Russell, Taiwan     Posted 09/06/2013 at 07:23:25

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments

Ian Bennett
455 Posted 09/06/2013 at 09:04:08
I'd like to see him up top, although he has come out with noises over going to Spain. Any Dutch fans seen Nacer Chadli play?
Kevin Hudson
469 Posted 09/06/2013 at 09:43:07
Good shout, Gary.

I think I read that he was the top goalscorer in the Greek League before he joined us.

Matt Traynor
498 Posted 09/06/2013 at 11:21:37
Gary, I agree. A mate of mine is a PAOK fan, and when we signed Mirallas from Olympiakos, he told me that we'd get the best out of him by giving him a season to find his feet, then play him up top. He reckons he'll be an amazing player for us.
Douglas Turner
507 Posted 09/06/2013 at 11:40:47
This is all very new to me! Using a Forward striker as a ... No you've lost me!
James Morgan
509 Posted 09/06/2013 at 11:46:20
I've been thinking the exact same thing, rather than needing to buy a striker we should buy an out an out right winger and put Kev up top. I'd take a punt on Hoilett still, he made a bad choice with QPR but he has got pace and talent.
Dennis Stevens
510 Posted 09/06/2013 at 11:52:36
Next you'll be suggesting we play with 2 strikers!
Howie James
516 Posted 09/06/2013 at 12:01:58
I think Mirallas would be better in a front 3 formation and on the left of the 3. He prefers to cut inside on to his right foot.

The Baines/Pienaar combination may be split up next season, so time for a change in tactics.

Tony Cheek
526 Posted 09/06/2013 at 13:01:42
Fully agree Gary, he would, I am sure, make a good striker. This is the sort of move Moyes would never try. Hope that Martinez sees, and has the balls to change things.
Ross Edwards
532 Posted 09/06/2013 at 13:25:30
Stick him up top, in Bobby M's formation we could have McManaman on the left and I'd like to see us sign Zaha on loan, in which case he could go on the right.

I'd like us to line up like this, with possible signings included:

Howard
Coleman Jags Distin Bainesy
Gibbo Fer
Barkley
McManaman Mirallas Zaha

Anthony Flack
557 Posted 09/06/2013 at 15:21:56
No idea why so excited about McManaman, would not put him in ahead of Pienaar. I have seen Zaha a couple of times at Palace and he looked shit hot, but Premiership is a different thing altogether. I fancy Jelavic will flourish under Martinez, interested to see what Mr Martinez thinks of big Vic, it was make or break for Vic in each of the last three seasons.

Interesting 6 weeks ahead.

Ross have I missed something why do we think BK has found cash?

Ross Edwards
558 Posted 09/06/2013 at 15:30:18
I'm not sure Anthony. Maybe he's found some under the bed.
Eric Myles
567 Posted 09/06/2013 at 15:47:26
Kenwright has not said anything about finding cash. He's quoted as saying that RM will get all the money available from player sales.

So business as usual.

James Stewart
599 Posted 09/06/2013 at 18:27:07
He will play as part of a front 3 under martinez which is something I am looking forward to seeing
Dick Fearon
655 Posted 09/06/2013 at 21:31:50
It's a bit of a gamble to weaken one position to try improving another. You could end up being weak in two positions. Better to develop the existing weak link.

Victor was improving out of sight and he could be the answer. I look forward to him rattling the cages of a few centre backs next season.

Dick Fearon
656 Posted 09/06/2013 at 21:53:34
I was referring to Victor Anichebe.
Colin Glassar
663 Posted 09/06/2013 at 22:10:57
Big Vic is an impact sub at best. He looks lost on the pitch when he starts games. I'd give Jelavic and Kevin a chance together to see if they can form a partnership. I'm not ready to give up on Jelavic yet, I still think he can regain his killer instinct in front of goal.
Steve Pugh
669 Posted 09/06/2013 at 22:28:48
Actually Eric he said that RM would get all of the money from sales plus all of the money that had been earmarked for Moyes to spend.
Harold Matthews
670 Posted 09/06/2013 at 22:32:46
This thread is full of very scary stuff.
Tom Astley
772 Posted 10/06/2013 at 13:10:22
Remember Martinez tried to sign Anichebe for Wigan 2-3 seasons ago, so I fancy him to give Anichebe a go at leading the line, with two players off him either side (Mirallas and A N Other).

He liked playing this formation at Wigan with Rodallega leading the line. The season just gone was the first season he moved away from this favoured formation, and they got relegated.

Simon Jones
070 Posted 11/06/2013 at 20:11:10
I wonder if Vellios might get a look-in as well? Martinez likes attacking and the lad certainly looked like he knew how to do that in the handful of times I saw him.
Mike Keating
108 Posted 11/06/2013 at 22:33:52
What about Vellios and McAleny?
Rhys Owen
281 Posted 12/06/2013 at 20:35:54
I don't think it will happen with a Jelavic and Mirallas link up there's a bit of a rift between the two so I've heard