New Look ToffeeWeb – an Open Letter

Comments (57) jump to end

Dear Michael / Lyndon

I am writing to express my surprise this morning to find a completely new look ToffeeWeb!

The iconic "quartered" ToffeeWeb crest has gone, Mailbag is now called "Talking Points" and there's also a little character in an Everton kit by my member log in! That's just for starters, I'm sure there's more....

I do not recall being consulted on any of these changes or the new, clean look of the site and could appreciate an explanation as to why this is?

In all seriousness – great work, site looks like it's had a real brush up, love the new look – well done! :)

Mike Green, High Wycombe     Posted 09/06/2013 at 07:28:44

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments

George McKane
442 Posted 09/06/2013 at 08:22:31
Looks good to me.
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
443 Posted 09/06/2013 at 08:18:05
Heheh, thanks, Mike! Yes, we thought that releasing things by surprise with no real consultation was all the rage so that's what we did :)

There are a few kinks to be worked out – most glaringly, if you chose to override the mobile layout and browse the site in full on your smartphone and pinch and zoom your way around, I seem to have broken that somehow but I'll look into it today.

If you're noticing anything seriously awry, try refreshing a few times with Ctrl+F5 on Windows or Cmd+R on the Mac to force your browser to grab the new assets. If problems persist, please don't hesitate to email me with the exact issue, your operating system, web browser and version.

The change from 'Mailbag' to 'Talking Points' is one that, we think, better reflects what that section has become over time – i.e. less a letters-to-the-editor-type format and more one where our readers raise topics for discussion.

The format of your submissions themselves should remain as they have been for the past few years and longer-form, more in-depth pieces should be submitted as a fan article.

Mark Tanton
446 Posted 09/06/2013 at 08:44:01
A rare example of a beloved and familiar website changing for the better. Well done.
Andy Mack
449 Posted 09/06/2013 at 08:49:04
Exellent new layout, lots of info all presented in a clear, clean, manner. Well designed - best revision yet. Thanks for the continuing hard work!
Colin Wainwright
452 Posted 09/06/2013 at 08:54:47
Nice. Very nice. I might sound fuckin' daft here, but where has the Home tab gone?
Colin Wainwright
453 Posted 09/06/2013 at 08:56:11
It's ok, found it.
David Chait
456 Posted 09/06/2013 at 09:05:56
Very rare to instantaneously like a change on a website... But this one was so smooth ans well conceived... great job!
Peter McIver
462 Posted 09/06/2013 at 09:26:48
Looks good from this end to!( Australia ) ;-)
Thanks for all your work. A visually pleasing website just became even more attractive.
Peter Davies
465 Posted 09/06/2013 at 09:32:23
New look? Nice!
Tony Waring
466 Posted 09/06/2013 at 09:34:40
Now I know I'm getting old.............I had'nt even noticed.........the new look that is !
Paul Ellam
468 Posted 09/06/2013 at 09:36:52
Good job fellas
John Ford
472 Posted 09/06/2013 at 09:49:42
The new ToffeeWeb crest is complete shite!
John Ford
473 Posted 09/06/2013 at 09:51:01
Tidy work all round.
Kevin Hudson
474 Posted 09/06/2013 at 09:50:21
I love ToffeeWeb's new crest.; simple & elegant. Would it have been so hard for the club to reproduce that on our shirts for next season?

Nice job on the re-vamp.

Dave Owen
482 Posted 09/06/2013 at 10:19:46
Life is full of surprises recently ;-)
Nicely done sir.
Brent Stephens
484 Posted 09/06/2013 at 10:29:43
Nice one, L and M.

NSNO.

Peter Thistle
490 Posted 09/06/2013 at 10:45:02
Looks more modern for sure. One point.... Would be nice if there was a feature to hide the left black border options with a mouse click.
Ian Smitham
495 Posted 09/06/2013 at 11:08:44
Mike, next they will tell us they have been working on it 24/7
Jamie Barlow
500 Posted 09/06/2013 at 11:28:03
I think it looks great. Very clean. I'm like Tony though, I didn't even notice until I read this thread.
Tony J Williams
504 Posted 09/06/2013 at 11:36:02
Can we take the Mirallas Garciaesque photo down though........shudders!!!
Douglas Turner
505 Posted 09/06/2013 at 11:35:55
Inspiring! I don't know why but It makes me want to be a better person! No seriously it looks great! And the badge looks smart too!
Eric Myles
527 Posted 09/06/2013 at 13:06:28
The new look looks good, and it loads on my PC a lot better than before.

It loads fine on my 'phone also except that the Facebook and Tweet and Email links are too close to the "Jump to End" link for my fat fingers to avoid hitting, and the Jump to End link doesn't work.

Well done, good upgrade.

Ross Edwards
528 Posted 09/06/2013 at 13:18:16
I like it. Good job guys. Keep it up.
Anthony Flack
530 Posted 09/06/2013 at 13:25:49
Looks great. I am sure others have said it elsewhere but well done over the period post Moyes must have been pretty chaotic.

Keep up the good work

Agi Harrar
533 Posted 09/06/2013 at 13:30:05
Love the new look....Good work guys.....
Ian Smitham
534 Posted 09/06/2013 at 11:08:44
It's like a new signing!
John Pulman
540 Posted 09/06/2013 at 14:00:12
Loving the new look.
Mark Dutton
544 Posted 09/06/2013 at 14:16:04
Nice job. Positively Sheedy-esque - caught me on the back-foot with the subtle, stylish whip-in.
David Pearl
548 Posted 09/06/2013 at 15:00:29
Unbelievable. So you change the badge without even properly consulting the fans. I for one wont be purchasing any merchandise.
Barry Rathbone
551 Posted 09/06/2013 at 15:13:48
Good work as ever chaps - seems to be quicker as well (don't know if possible but seems so!)
Davie Turner
563 Posted 09/06/2013 at 15:47:28
Super work, also my I pass my sincere applause for the mobile version, well done :)
Richard Pike
598 Posted 09/06/2013 at 18:22:25
Liking it. Since the club wants a new crest, it could do (and has done) a lot worse than to plagiarise this site's new one. Add the motto banner and if they must, the "Everton 1878", and Bob would be one's uncle.
Mick Doherty
602 Posted 09/06/2013 at 18:27:54
I was thinking the crest looks well smart, then I thought it'd look a bit Fred Perry on a jersey
Richard Dodd
606 Posted 09/06/2013 at 18:34:11
Discusted there has been no consultation on this issue — how dare the Editors turn their backs on history and tradition!

A ToffeeWeb poll at least is called for to ensure these changes are reversed.

How can the people in charge have so much disdain for us ToffeeWebbers?

ps: Only kidding..... in case I get banned!

Richard Dodd
607 Posted 09/06/2013 at 18:39:48
Wouldn`t be so bad if I could even spell `Disgusted` ! It`s the sun.....and the Abbott!
Mike Green
620 Posted 09/06/2013 at 19:15:55
Doddy - not only has Formby got the 'Freshy' for the beer, it's also got the 'Bowl' for the weather. Let the long hot summer begin.
Andrew Laird
636 Posted 09/06/2013 at 20:22:11
Impressive new look; well done to all concerned.
Mike Hughes
651 Posted 09/06/2013 at 21:19:41
Er......what the hell's going on?
I was on here yesterday morning and there was none of this new fangled stuff.
I'm off for a lie down.
It's not right.

Jamie Crowley
665 Posted 09/06/2013 at 22:13:58
I just logged on and I was hoping for a thread to say well done.

TY Mike...

And well done Lyndon and Michael. Looks fantastic. Great work.

Best Internet site on the Web just got better.

Timothy Sebastian
698 Posted 10/06/2013 at 00:26:53
Great look. Well done. Works fine and no annoying downtime or hangs like what happens sometimes when websites are revised. Keep up the wonderful work!
Garry Corgan
702 Posted 10/06/2013 at 00:43:49
I'm studying a little bit of web design as part of my degree course. We really only learn the basics, as we're only required to understand how it works, rather than become professional web-designers.

I must say that the way the new site adapts to different browser sizes and resolutions is amazing. You've really outdone yourself there Lyndon. I haven't come across any other site that degrades so gracefully. Well done.

Brian Cleveland
746 Posted 10/06/2013 at 10:26:49
Don't understand why you designed a crest when there is a new official one that you could have used... ;-)
Mark Knight
754 Posted 10/06/2013 at 11:14:00
Very sharp, Gents.
Alan Ross
783 Posted 10/06/2013 at 15:04:24
Was the old version difficult to reproduce in certain formats?

Seriously, very impressed. Noticed it yesterday and wondered when the discussion would begin. No issues with it on my PC. Haven't tried it yet on mobile. Seems to load quicker as well. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

Danny Kewley
798 Posted 10/06/2013 at 16:25:26
Love the new Ned Kelly in the outback look! well done Bruce.
Adam Luszniak
928 Posted 11/06/2013 at 08:50:58
anyone else viewing this in Chrome? Page doesn't centre on the screen. Anyone else getting that?
Matt Traynor
929 Posted 11/06/2013 at 08:56:03
Adam, I'm using Chrome on a laptop, and have had no issues with it. Is your screen size an issue?
Drew Shortis
930 Posted 11/06/2013 at 09:30:00
Great work with the new look. I know from running a website at work how difficult it can be to keep everyone happy when making cosmetic changes. Your update was pretty much seamless and has definately improved the site. ToffeeWeb is my first port of call for Everton news and the best forum for discussion. Keep up the good work!

One suggestion. would it be possible to have a permanent thread with the sole purpose of transfer gossip? I know 99% of it is nonsense, but it does keep us fans going over the summer! I would much rather share idle speculation in a designated area than pollute other peoples threads with my half baked theories. Just a thought.

Ernie Baywood
983 Posted 11/06/2013 at 14:13:50
I did have some issues with the mobile version (iPhone). Top banner not appearing, then appearing and disappearing on different pages.

Today it looks great, looks like the bugs are all out of the system for mobile users.

Top work - the site looks great.

Eric Myles
987 Posted 11/06/2013 at 14:20:58
'Jump to end' still not working on my SII and while the pages load great on my notebook they won't load at all on my office desktop machine.
David S Shaw
082 Posted 11/06/2013 at 21:03:28
This new website just crashes on my work computer so I can't access ToffeeWeb at all during work.

They're not new computers around 4 to 5 years old I'd say, so I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few other ToffeeWebbers who don't have the latest computers can't get on here neither.

Mike Hughes
094 Posted 11/06/2013 at 21:37:31
Having used the new site for a few days now, I have to say it's excellent. Very clean / sharp - hopefully an indicator of our passing, tackling and goal threat under the new regime.

Another website award on the way? Hopefully an indicator of......

Derek Thomas
156 Posted 12/06/2013 at 08:10:53
Worked ok for a day or 2 on my windows 7 laptop now it just freezes about 25% into download.

OK on my windows 8 tablet though.

Any ideas Re windows 7 probs

Andy Whittingham
158 Posted 12/06/2013 at 08:15:43
Can you please centre-align the site, on a 27inch monitor it doesn't work. Also noticed a glitch in Firefox (on Mac) where the image to the right of content overlaps the sidebar on the right. Other than that, well done on the design.
Mike Gaynes
263 Posted 12/06/2013 at 19:29:26
Great work, guys. But I think at this point we need a Latin slogan of our own.
Andy Amey
645 Posted 14/06/2013 at 16:15:25
Non illegitimae carborundum ,....... Perhaps ?
Paul Johnson
773 Posted 15/06/2013 at 08:40:49
Where have the lonely middle aged housewives disappeared to.