Yesterday, I did what I have never done before – I left a game with still 25 minutes to play.

220 miles is a long way to travel to watch a game of football, but along with my son and grandson I did just that. After watching last week's Southampton cup tie, we felt confident that we would triumph over the a Saints side depleted and dejected having been on a five-game losing run.

Sadly, the writing was on the wall after just a few minutes, and even up to their second goal, it was clear another black day was upon us. We looked ponderously slow, little movement, inaccurate passing, and with the exception of Besic, little fight for the shirt. Up to the time I left they only chance on goal was though our own net.

The style of football that served us so well last season has proved to be our Achilles heel this season and unless an alternative plan can be brought into play we are going to end up in a regulation fight.

I can honestly say that I cannot think of any side home or away that we are capable of beating. A team will need 42 points to stay safe. Where those 21 points are going to come from only God will know, none of us can.

On 2nd of September I penned a piece on Everton being in a relegation fight which I eventually requested not be published because I thought – or maybe just hoped – that it was just a reaction to the poor initial results we had in that early part of the season, and that once in full swing the season would turn around.
Sadly, it has just been the reverse and, apart from three good displays in the Europa league, the team has got markedly worse. At the time of penning this we are closer to a place in the Championship League than the Europa League.

Yesterday, for the first time since I started watching and playing football in the 1950s, I thought,?why am I wasting my time here.

We have been fed mediocre football for some time, but last year we had the intoxicating brew of hope and ambition. This year we taste the bitter drink of disappointment. I thought at last Everton would be winners again, even champions in a year or two.

The managers in the Premier League are some of the best in the world and they employed a style of play to exploit Everton's weakness. On the 9th of August, I wrote, “There is one aspect of play that worries me that is when we play against a high-pressing team, as Celta Vigo did last week, we seem to be vulnerable at the back. I am sure other manages will have spotted this as I am sure it will not have gone unnoticed by Roberto, who will put plans in place to counter this style of play, employing more of a 4-4-2 or even a 4-3-3 using a pacey fast-breaking system, to catch out a high-playing team”.

Well I was right and wrong about that – other managers had already worked it out, Roberto had not, but even worse he still has not worked it out. They say the definition of insanity is “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." Well, welcome to the asylum.

I thought Roberto was the real deal and I had a passion for the team that had been locked away for a some years. I suppose the signing of Lukaku shows the contrast in a great manager and a good manager, the Chelsea boss decided soon after he arrived that Lukaku was not for him. He loaned him out and Mourinho looked a fool for doing it; 12 months later he sells Lukaku for 27 million and buys Costa for 32 million, therefore a net signing of 5 million for arguably the best striker in the League.

I hope and pray that things will change round, and the changes are made to turn the season round. I hate to say it, especially since I have always fought in his corner, but, you know, I do not think he can change the plan.

Reader Comments (106)

Colin Glassar
1 Posted 21/12/2014 at 18:16:38
I’ve backed Roberto to the hilt up till yesterday. I’ve still not given up on him but I accept that everyone is right to give him hell.

I hope he has a good look at himself in the mirror and that someone from the board, his backroom staff or a senior player have the balls to tell him the current set up is just not working.

Tony Onslow
2 Posted 21/12/2014 at 18:31:18
Wayne, Welcome to the rest home for disillusioned blues and pull yourself a chair up the fire.
Kunal Desai
3 Posted 21/12/2014 at 18:39:30
I feel sorry for you and the other few odd thousand that made the 600-odd mile round trip to watch that garbage. I sincerely hope the players and the managers realise how much the fans are hurting and put it right on boxing day. I will be going to this and do NOT want to be heading back 200 odd miles in disappointment. Sort. This. Out. Now. Martinez.
Duncan McDine
4 Posted 21/12/2014 at 18:39:51
Great read Wayne, if a bit depressing! I can honestly say that in one and a half seasons of Roberto’s leadership I have experienced higher highs and lower lows than the previous 15+ years preceding him. The current displays in the league have been as dreadful as anything I’ve seen in that time.

I just hope to hell things can change.

Brian Harrison
5 Posted 21/12/2014 at 18:59:37
I think the reality is starting to kick in for many of our supporters, and while some point quite rightly to last season. I would say that there is usually a reaction when a manager goes into a new club, and where usually a manager only gets a big club like Everton if they have struggled RM joined a team used to competing at the top end. So the team he took over was talented and were well motivated and well drilled defensively, he added a couple of players to add competition and hence a fairly successful season.

Although the last 6 games of last season we were showing signs of what we are seeing this season. The big question is can he change things, I am afraid if he doesnt the boos that followed some of our football against Hull will get louder and more often I fear. I have never booed and don’t see it does much good except encourage the opposition, but some argue I pay my money and if thats how I want to show my displeasure then I will.
I did find his appointment in the first place rather strange, I mean I couldnt ever see Everton appointing a manager who had just got his previous side relegated. And playing in exactly the same way as we are now, everyone used to comment about Wigan that they play nice football but concede too many goals to stay up.

Patrick Murphy
6 Posted 21/12/2014 at 19:13:44
I watched Newcastle v Sunderland and the quality on show was a poor advert for the Premier League. Player for player Everton must be better than either of those two teams but in reality we are 2 points behind Newcastle and a point ahead of Sunderland.

The question is why are we so close to those teams? I think I agree with many posters who have said that our current system doesn’t suit our players and the players are showing us out on the pitch that it doesn’t suit them - but will the manager change his style? - I can’t see it happening any time soon and there’s the rub the players appear not to enjoy playing to this style whilst the fans or quite a lot of the fans don’t appear to be enjoying watching this style so immediately we have a conflict of interests between the manager and the players / fans.

Roberto has to understand that he is responsible for the playing style and to the supporters of Everton FC. His first duty is to the club and if what the players are producing out on the pitch is failing he has to address it and change because sticking to his tried and ’trusted’ methods will in all probability see a parting of the ways sooner or later and like many I hope that doesn’t happen - but the club comes first and nobody is bigger than the club.

Phil Walling
7 Posted 21/12/2014 at 18:59:38
Name any manager ’who has changed his spots’! The only one I can think of is Allardyce who was bullied into it by his club’s owners. ’Change or go!’

Martinez will NOT change his philosophy, principles and how/must he feels the game must be played. Years ago, he got to thinking that the British game was old-fashioned and needed to adapt to Spanish methods. He may well have been right. Then. The trouble is, our game has absorbed a lot of the lessons and moved on. Other managers have flirted with ticci tacca or ’PAATB’ and have rapidly realised it don’t work here and have moved on.

The Spanish game despises ’defending’ as we know it but here it is a vital aspect of our game. It is Everton’s hard luck that it has fetched up with the one guy whose arrogance determines he must prove a point. He came here believing that he could get our higher grade players to become ’total footballers’ and that ’positions’ were irrelevant. He can’t and they aren’t. Everton is paying the price just as Wigan did.

Colin Glassar
8 Posted 21/12/2014 at 19:27:41
Phil I won’t argue with you but what the hell does PAATB mean?
Phil Walling
9 Posted 21/12/2014 at 19:32:18
Literal translation of the Spanish. ’Pissing about at the Back’ !
Colin Glassar
10 Posted 21/12/2014 at 19:34:35
Thanks Phil. Will you be writing Roberto’s autobiography?
Chris Butler
11 Posted 21/12/2014 at 19:48:48
What worries me is that we are not losing games because our players aren’t good enough or that we have injuries, we’re losing because of our manager. I have to say I’m not a fan of Martinez, I was very surprised with how well we did last season but still I had doubts. Well after the City game this season I finally gave up with him. Yes City are a good side but we only had 1 chance in the whole game, against a team who were missing their best defender. The insistence on simply passing it around rather than crossing the ball in is starting to annoy me and most other Everton fans. I also have become bored of his BS in post match interviews the nonsense about claiming Harry Kane fouled Barry when he blatantly got the ball. We lost against Tottenham because of Howard and Barry. I would prefer to have somebody like Billic as manager, he’s no perfect but the one thing is doesn’t accept is his players no putting enough effort in.
Phil Walling
12 Posted 21/12/2014 at 19:58:35
No, Colin, but I’m booked for the Eulogy !
Rick Tarleton
13 Posted 21/12/2014 at 19:57:12
Roberto, who is infinitely better than Moyes, because he dares to dream, does not know how to set up a midfield. He needs to restrain his full-backs to do their primary job first, then use McCarthy and Besic as his base, but Besic as the play-maker, slightly in front of McCarthy. Barkley in the centre, then a wide player (Oviedo, McGeady, Mirallas) , Naismith just behind Lukaku and Eto’o to come on when things don’t work out.
I’ve deliberately ignored the central defence, it’ll probably be fine when Stones returns, and Howard is a lost cause, if there’s any money available in January, a goalkeeper of class would be my first buy.
Pienaar and Osman are now bench players, as are Distin and Hibbert . Garbutt is nearly ready and the rest are below par at the moment.
Rick Tarleton
14 Posted 21/12/2014 at 20:08:25
Sorry I missed our Barry who I’d prefer to see as a bench central defender.
Colin Glassar
15 Posted 21/12/2014 at 20:09:10
I thought you might say that Phil.
Bill Gall
16 Posted 21/12/2014 at 19:21:56
Brian I agree with your comments the only thing I found strange about his appointment was that despite BK stating that he had been talking to football people for 24/7 Wigan was the only club he asked for permission to talk to their manager.

I said when he was hired he was not my choice but was willing to give him a chance and last season he did well and raised our hopes for the future.

Looking back to last season I am now wondering if the success was because he was not able to get all the players playing the style he wanted and was getting by with the defensive set up in place.

This season we have showed no consistency in our performances and Martinez simply shows no ideas of how to set up a defence and simply is dumbfounded in trying to outcoach the opposition manager.

We now have one of the highest goals against scores in the premier with only QPR and Leicester having more. Mr Martinez has only had 2 successful seasons in his managerial career 1 with Swansea and the other last season with Everton I am not including the cup win with Wigan as he got them relegated.

The style and philosophy that the manager wants to use is fine if all aspects of the game are included and that includes defence as well as attack. I believe in the expression that goals get you points defence wins you games.

We have a major problem with Martinez in that (a) he is unable to combine a defence with his tactics or (b) he firmly believes his style is not the problem. With the club he previously managed his goals against was usually the highest in the premier and he done nothing to cure it.

Everton better not continue to allow a manager to continue with a system that is dragging them down and getting their supporters who have been there a long time before and will be there along time after he is gone to become so disappointed in the image on the field that the club is becoming.

We do not want to become a Tottenham with new managers every other year; but I think that BK should take note of their chairman as he doe’s not sit on his backside smiling and saying how well the manager is doing he gets rid of incompetent people.

Phil Walling
17 Posted 21/12/2014 at 20:12:01
Rick, surely you can only judge managers by their results. And we have barely a season and a half to judge Martinez by. If he gets us relegated will he really be ’infinitely better than Moyes’ or even Walter Smith ?

Only time will tell but if the Spaniard needs lessons on setting up his team from a TWer - even one as revered as your goodself - then he can hardly have been worthy of the job in the first place. And he wasn’t !

Colin Glassar
18 Posted 21/12/2014 at 20:25:01
Bill, do we really want to go down the same path as spurs? Over the last 10 years they’ve had about 12 managers, spent 100’s of millions and are still a shite club. Not a good example to use IMO.
James Stewart
19 Posted 21/12/2014 at 20:34:23
Martinez is not better than Moyes. Far from it. What has Martinez achieved that Moyes didnÂ’t? Nothing.
This is from someone who hated Moyes as well. At least we had organisation and work ethic under Moyes.
Patrick Murphy
20 Posted 21/12/2014 at 20:47:44
Somebody mentioned that Roberto and his assistant were up on Tyneside today, obviously to watch Newcastle for our upcoming trip there - but the mischievous side of me is left wandering if he went to meet Mike Ashley as Ally McCoist has relinquished his position at Glasgow Rangers.
Colin Glassar
21 Posted 21/12/2014 at 21:03:37
I think he was scouting Shola Ameobi, Patrick.
John Gee
22 Posted 21/12/2014 at 20:54:48
Howard has been an embarrassment to our club all season with his media comments and book peddling quips. It would be forgivable if his performances were up to standard. HeÂ’s shitting out of saves and gathers time and again then overcompensating by getting into a row with retreating opposition players. A great keeper dominates his 18 yard box. Howard canÂ’t even command the 6 yard box. It has NEVER been enough for a goalkeeper to stand on his line and be a whack-a-mole goalie. A keeper in January is a priority.

Jagielka getting stick is plain stupid. Without his last ditch match-of-the-day tackles we would have been beaten (more) comprehensively in many games this season. Once he got over being a scapegoat for Enger-landÂ’s false belief that Gerrard and Henderson are the greatest midfield partnership in the premier league he has been immense for us. Distin, on the other hand, is no longer a starter.

Coleman is going. His drop in form is Torresesque. The Lukaku signing had to be funded somehow and heÂ’ll be playing in the capital before the end of January.

Mirallas has been one of our bright spots this season and is one of my favourites. But, saying in the media that heÂ’ll leave for CL football if we donÂ’t make it is beyond the pail. IÂ’d fine him two weeks wages and tell him that he can fuck off back to Olympi-arse-ache if they qualify. Twat.

I can harp on about the players all night but the fault is squarely on RMÂ’s shoulders. Twatting about at the back has never worked for a single team... ever! It invites pressure, what the fuck is he thinking? Has he lost the plot? He had his McClaren wally with the brolly moment yesterday. I was expecting the announcement today that heÂ’d been fired but all quiet on the north western front. If I was BK IÂ’d tell him he had 3 games to turn this around. Either dig in for a result or display some attacking intent.

Football is about scoring goals not how many time we can pass a ball between two center backs. I want to see a striker nodding one in at the back post, a left back bursting into the box after a give and go, a midfielder unleashing a hammer from 30 yards, a winger catching one on the volley from the corner of the box. What I donÂ’t want to see is a Lidl version of tippy-tappy so some championship manager can enhance his "profile".

Unless he changes his ways this week... Martinez out!.... There! I said it.

Bill Gall
23 Posted 21/12/2014 at 21:34:42
Colin, My comment was that we do not want to become a Tottenham but merly pointed out that rather than our chairman who will not do anything; he takes notice of what their chairman will do with incompetant employees
Colin Glassar
24 Posted 21/12/2014 at 21:49:30
But where they incompetent managers Bill? Most spurs fans thought Martin Jol, Harry, AVB and Sherwood were doing a good job but Levy and co. are trigger happy. Spurs never allow a manager to make, and learn from, mistakes.
I know what you mean that BK’s the exact opposite but, despite disliking him intensely, I prefer a chairman to show a bit of patience with a struggling manager and give him a chance to fix things. Remember when it looked like we might’ve gone down with Walter, Billy did pull the trigger. He’s not that daft that he’d let us get relegated.
Sean Kelly
25 Posted 21/12/2014 at 21:56:13
Colin I hope both Roberto and his mates realised on their trip there they if you play with passion the crowd will get behind you even if the football is shite. Ameobi fuck that thought maybe he was looking at that Newcastle keeper Aylnick or whatever his name is.
Jay Harris
26 Posted 21/12/2014 at 22:05:26
I think the problem in recovering form will be difficult because the squad was not prepared properly preseason.
It was at that point that I realised Roberto had that typical Spanish mentality of "Manyana". (it will all be OK tomorrow) and my doubts about his appointment started to come home to roost.
How could a manager who got a team relegated with a record number of goals against possible get a job managing Everton was my first reaction to his appointment.
I have also realised that very few Spanish managers make it on the "world" stage.
However to be fair the optimism and unity he brought to the club had me thinking I may have misjudged him.

But now on the basis of his diabolical preseason preparation and team selection so far this season I really want him gone ASAP.

Dick Fearon
27 Posted 21/12/2014 at 22:28:29
I watch all our games on TV and a small possibly unimportant thing I notice is when the cameras scan the technical areas all managers can be seen in regular communication with their assistants. Roberto stands aloof from any interaction with his assistants.
They sit there impassively, showing little interest in proceedings.
Meanwhile Roberto stands alone making facial grimaces and employing weird hand signals to no effect.
In the Southampton dug out Sammy Lee could be seen jumping around like an excited Jack in a box often discussing matters with his manager.
His enthusiasm was reflected in his teams performance Roberto’s none action was also reflected on the field.

Bill Gall
28 Posted 21/12/2014 at 23:41:06
Colin ; yes he did fire Walter after 4 years and in that period the highest we finished was 13th and that was in his second year and I think we were in 15th place when he was let go . Allthough he was as you say fired I believe it was more mutual consent and he was the one who reccomended D.Moyes. So how low do you want Everton to go if this manager doe’s not turn things around and quickly.

And yes a lot of the supporters thought the managers you mentioned were doing a good job but reading the comments on TW I am not to sure Martinez is getting the same support.

I am all in favour for giving a manager a chance but in saying that he has to realise that if his style is not working he has to change and at this time Martinez is still trying to put square pegs in round holes and will not admit it .

Andy Crooks
29 Posted 21/12/2014 at 23:56:50
At what stage would BK sack Martinez? Three more poor performances? When relegation looks possible? Or likely? Never?
Steve Orchard
31 Posted 22/12/2014 at 00:14:22
IÂ’ll admit we donÂ’t look like winning a match when we go behind this season and IÂ’m dreading the christmas games already. He has got to give Kone a game next match. He seems like the only forward who has the touch and control to play the ball up to in this slow boring build up we keep playing .
Colin Glassar
32 Posted 22/12/2014 at 00:21:49
I’m not disputing any of that Bill. If, and it’s still a big if IMO, we are dragged into a relegation fight and Martinez refuses to change his ways then I do think even spineless Bill will have to act.
Don’t ask me why but I do think he will turn our season around and all this will appear like a bad dream in a few months time.
Bill Gall
33 Posted 22/12/2014 at 01:26:23
Colin I hope he does too as a lot of our performances when we were winning were outstanding but at the moment he doe’s not seem to have what a lot of people call a plan (b) and this to me is the fundemental part of a managers job .

You can not stick blindly to something that is not working even if it is not having the players who have the quality to do it or other managers have found it easy to limit its success.

Peter Barry
34 Posted 22/12/2014 at 02:32:02
It was a bad omen when this season started off badly and it has been all downhill from there. Has Roberto lost the dressing room? has he lost the plot? did he ever know what the plot was in the first place?
A few more disastrous results like the Southampton one and we will be down among the dead men and fighting relegation and I don’t think Roberto will have the nous or the will to survive it.
Mike Gwyer
35 Posted 22/12/2014 at 06:02:41

Life as a blue is so fucking sweeeeet. Long trips to stadium’s like St. Mary’s make you realise that the "asylum" has long been the home of many a blue. If RM don’t know, or worse, can’t see the number of issues that cover the 90 minutes that Everton entertain us, then we are so seriously fucked.

Distin seriously don’t give a shit, but he’s a pro, he’ll play and try to do what RM asks him to do, but after what he achieved last season, you can see he no longer cares. He’s definitely off in June but if things can be sorted I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go in Jan.

Barry - Getting a 3 year deal has got to be applauded for someone with such limited footy skills. This 3 year deal will take him very close to his 40’s, fuck it, I admire the guy for achieving that deal. Money definitely goes to money. Twat.

Howard - not one goal at St. Mary’s was his fault. We can talk all day as to whether he’s shite but no goals in the 3 nil hammering were his fault. When teams cross the ball into your box, especially from a dead ball, then your defenders had better have their eyes open. Fuckoff, not Everton, let’s put Lukaku & Eto in the centre of the box and watch them both do absolutely nothing. Where the fuck were Jags & Distin. Howard had no chance with the first. The 2nd goal was a contest between Jags, Disitin and Coleman as to who could be the most shite. I mean, a simple cross into our box, our 3 defenders against two attackers, yep simples, we concede. The third goal, well putting it simple both Barry and Baines are both playing shite, so when the cross came in my dead cat could of scored against them two. So for me, what the fuck is Howard supposed to do when not one of the outfield players are doing anything that can be remotely considered as "defending".

RM - the honeymoon would seem to be over for the media lover boy, the boo’s against QPR must of told him what’s coming. But really, the fact that GP is turning into a fucking morgue watching a style of football that no one understands, just the fact that Distin and Jags get about 3000 touches of the ball almost every game and Lukaku get’s about 6. Fuck me, even Howard gets in about 2000 touches. I would just like a simple explanation from RM, without the words wonderful or phenomenal, that explains why.

Baines & Coleman - what the fuck has happened there. The elite full backs, wing backs or whatever, both playing wonderful linkup footy are now both playing shite. WTF.

Barkley - great when playing in the centre, shite on the wing. Great when playing in the centre. Shite on the fucking wing. So guess where RM like’s to play him.

Finally for RM; not sure how things went down at Wigan when you insisted on your style of play even when things went tits up. All I can say is bring your hardest hard hat, because things are going to get fucking cosy if Stoke get anything at GP on Friday. Also a big plus, have a word with the back four about defending because, putting it simple, Stoke are not going to be interested in watching us play tippy tappy football.

Phil Walling
36 Posted 22/12/2014 at 09:00:02
I’ve read the book, Mike, and everything springs from possession. Thus it is vital to retain the ball until a ’good’ pass is on. patience is the key. Defending, as such,(clearing your lines) is not part of the art of the game. The antidote to conceding goals is all-out attack ’to restore the balance’.

In Spain, you learn all this from six years of age. Trouble is our man is trying to create this footballing Utopia with guys who’ve been playing it another way for 30 years and have little wish to change. Result ? Chaos !

Scott Robinson
37 Posted 22/12/2014 at 09:35:45
Stubbornness is usually a sign of weakness - I think the last twenty of minutes of Saturday’s game tells us alot - no substitutes, no change in tactics, no nothing. Now that we have experienced the highs and lows of the first 1 and half years, lets truly judge him in teh comnig weeks to see if there is a response. If Pardew, Allardyce and the other "elite" premier league minnow managers can change their ways, let’s see if our man can too.
Dave Lynch
38 Posted 22/12/2014 at 09:48:34
I wish people would stop comparing us to Spurs.

They have a much bigger bankroll, kit deal and sponsor than we do and can afford to spend big, even if they do waste most of it.

We on the other hand. Do not have a pot to piss in, the kit deal is a fucking joke and have a poor sponsorship deal.

We are worlds apart...

Phil Walling
39 Posted 22/12/2014 at 10:11:09
Dave, you are correct. It achieves nothing either comparing us to other clubs or where we were last season. Martinez, just like us has to deal with the here and now.

What we all hope for is that he has the wisdom to make those changes in his make-up necessary to get the team back on track. He has some good players and it shouldn’t be too difficult.

If he fails it will not be lack of resources as some on here suggest, it will be because of his own intransigence. But is this Catalan for turning ?

We are about to find out.

Colin Glassar
40 Posted 22/12/2014 at 10:23:13
Remember he has said we will be better in February. I can’t wait.
Winston Williamson
41 Posted 22/12/2014 at 10:14:00
My patience has snapped.
ThereÂ’s no fight in this team. No desire. No heart.
This stems from our lovely manager.

Martinez out for me.

Murdo Laing
42 Posted 22/12/2014 at 10:13:25
Mike#22, very entertaining post , mate, but I do disagree as regards Distin. He does give a shit- remember his lone approach to the fans after out dull away draw at Palace last year? The problem with the big man is that the game is now passing him by, the PL is now replete with very quick forward players and some teams (like Stoke as your concluding sentence rightly states) will press defenders in possession -Walters is like a raging bull putting pressure on defenders and I do worry about us giving it away on Boxing Day. As regards the booing, I think Roberto needs to realize that this is the fans’ way of saying to him that the relentless and painfully slow tika-taka is not only unsuccessful , but also plain boring. I do wonder if the squad have reached some sort of "glass ceiling" whereby RM convinced them there was another level they could go to playing this style , but it’s been confounded by the opposition-good and bad- simply tweaking their game to nullify our threat on both flanks, thus rendering Romelu a square peg in a round hole. Ah well, onwards and, er....upwards ?
Brent Stephens
43 Posted 22/12/2014 at 11:14:57
Colin #40 "Remember he has said we will be better in February. I can’t wait."

I know that’s probably tongue in cheek from you, Colin. Can’t wait, too. What worries me is why not until February? He obviously sees his tactics as ok. Surely he can’t think it will take then for the war-wounded to be ready again. So does he mean match-fitness? Surely not! I really am at a loss to know why not until February.

Colin Glassar
44 Posted 22/12/2014 at 11:29:26
Well he did say in the new year Brent. February is in the new year but maybe he meant March or April. I don’t know.
Brian Waring
45 Posted 22/12/2014 at 11:40:03
Moyes finished 17th in his second full season and BK didn’t flap then, and I would imagine he’s not going to now, and rightly so because Martinez will get it right.

Rumours are we have repesentives in France talking to the agent of Ben Arfa now that hull have terminated his contract and he is a free agent.

Mike Gwyer
46 Posted 22/12/2014 at 11:04:33

Murdo

Yep I was at Palace for last years 0-0 bore fest and yes Distin did have words with fellow blues because like us he wanted a win but obviously he felt the team had tried whereas we felt the team were shite. I think we agreed to disagree. So, back to real time, it’s obvious that his recent "private" chat with RM has left him with no doubt that his future at GP is over, but the guy is an honest pro and really Saturday was "just another day at the office" so to speak. My previous post acknowledges this fact and I’m guessing that as soon as Stones is available we may of well have seen the last of Distin.

Yep Stoke are going to be tough on Friday, they will put it about and give our CB’s and Howard a tough time regarding our "play it from the back" wankish style of play. Fuck RM, I hope our CB’s kick it long at every opportunity and ask Lukaku to do a bit of work, go and get that ball. Believe me, the crowd will respond to Lukaku efforts.

Scott Robinson
47 Posted 22/12/2014 at 11:51:56
at Brian Waring: exactly. The game evolves, managers get sussed out, tactics get tired and worn out. Its up to RM now to show that he is adaptable and not just another stubborn Spaniard.
Matt Traynor
48 Posted 22/12/2014 at 12:01:03
Brian #45, I thought Ben Arfa was still under contract at Newcastle - his deal at Hull was a loan agreement with them?
Brian Waring
49 Posted 22/12/2014 at 12:06:44
That’s the first thing I thought Matt when I heard the rumour, turns out your right, he was on loan to Hull after being exiled at Newcastle with Pardew saying he’ll never play for them again, his contract with Newcastle is up in the summer. Exiled at Newcastle, falling out with Hull, even if he was a free agent I think we would be better swerving him.
Dan Hollingworth
50 Posted 22/12/2014 at 12:11:05
’Relegation’ shouts are embarrassing and people need to pack that in. We won’t go down. Given our performances this season we will probably finish around where we are now with around 50 points. There are 6-8 teams worse than us at the moment so it’s not even an issue.

He also won’t be sacked, he signed a new 5 year deal in the summer, the club won’t pay him off. Were skint again with the Rom deal.

People need to rally around a cup run in the FA cup and EL. It’s frustrating given the highs of last season (73 points in 8 of the last 10 years gets you 4th, I think one of those seasons it would have got you 2nd), I understand peoples concerns, but the ’relegation’ shouts are just ridiculous.

Daniel A Johnson
51 Posted 22/12/2014 at 12:10:40
Martinez needs to realise his first responsibility as Everton Manager is to win the football match!!!!!!!! Not fanny about with his philosophies and passing principles.

If a team has a weakness against high balls into the box then its up to Roberto to target this weakness and hit the long balls.

I feel instead of looking at the opposition and playing/picking a side to suit, he’s just totally obsessed with the philosophy.

I honestly believe he’d rather get beat 2-0 playing his way than sacrifice his principles for a gritty 1-0 win. That worries me immensely.

Its not all about you Roberto

Mike Childs
52 Posted 22/12/2014 at 11:58:00
Phil #27 thanks for a gut busting laugh no sarcasm intended.

Besides his stubbornness he’s to nice a guy. Players know the effort doesn’t matter Mr. Nice Guy won’t take away their first XI place.

Mike Green
53 Posted 22/12/2014 at 12:14:25
This isn’t a Martinez knock but when Wigan were on the brink he said he refused to change his philosophy, no matter what.

I watched their game away to Arsenal, which they needed to win to retain any chance of staying up, and for the first hour they were fantastic but in the last twenty minutes Arsenal stepped up and turned them over.

Whether a more direct approach would’ve made any difference is debatable but we’ve already had one example where he refused to change in the face of the worst possible outcome so don’t expect him to do so now.

Hopefully he can retain his philosophy whilst adapting it to outfox managers who have sussed out its current incarnation. If not performances could well stagnate, confidence will drop through the floor and points will dry up.

The things that winds me up more than anything is people talk about his philosophy not being about defending it’s about scoring more goals than the opposition - our shot rate (on and off target) and goals for tally is hardly prolific.

I’m happy to say I’ll be there on Boxing Day - I think it could be a real wake up call for the players and manager. Both need to ’up’ everything.

Mike Childs
54 Posted 22/12/2014 at 12:32:42
Mike#53 and all the others who will be there may you witness the rebirth....
Murdo Laing
56 Posted 22/12/2014 at 12:43:42
I watched the RS v Arse on telly yesterday. Liverpool are bang average right now, but there are two aspects of their play which stuck me as being virtually absent from our pattern of attacking play at this time . Firstly, set pieces- they put corners right into the danger zone and ( love him or hate him) when SG gets his free kicks at a diagonal to the penalty box, more often than not he hits that zone in front of the six yard box which Lukaku would thrive on . Our tactic this season is virtually always to go to the byline, and now that the Bainaar axis is on the wane we have little variation . The second aspect is shooting: It is noticeable how the RS will take shots from 20 to 25 yards out in open play. The only player in our squad who seems prepared to have confidence in his long range shooting is Mirallas. I realize I’m inviting opprobium in mentioning the RS and especially SG , but it all came home to me when Skyrtel scored that late, late equaliser , the sort of goal we seem incapable of scoring this season because we rarely beat the first defender on corners and we don’t take out chances with distance shooting. We know Lukaku is capable, Eto’o definitely -we just don’t do it when Kevin isn’t in the team ?
Peter Bell
57 Posted 22/12/2014 at 13:21:36
Murdo, don’t see how putting the ball in that area in front of the 6 yard box is going to benefit Lukaku. He cant head a ball.
In fact Southampton put one there for him on a plate on Saturday and see what he did.
Shut his eyes and his feet never even left the floor.
Getting a bit bored with people saying give this gy the service.
Dave Lynch
58 Posted 22/12/2014 at 13:21:55
Mike@53.

Any dog wil fight for it’s life when threatened or cornered, which is what Wigan did in that Arsenal game.
They still came up short though and as you said. Arsenal just went up a gear and snuffed them out.

Peter Bell
59 Posted 22/12/2014 at 13:26:08
Another thing that frustrates me is the symmetry that seems to run between us and the other lot.
Every time they have a bad season, we seem to join them, and when we have a good season so do they
Geoffrey Caveney
60 Posted 22/12/2014 at 13:20:56
Phil (36) the thing about Spain at their best was, they put on constant pressure when the other side had the ball. They defended by stopping attacks before they ever started.

We can only play that way when McCarthy is on the pitch. Without him, all of our defenses crumble. Watching both Tottenham goals, I said, "That doesn’t happen if McCarthy is there."

We won’t get relegated. We won’t even finish as low as we are now. But the agony of this season is, 4th or even 3rd was there for the taking, nobody after Chelsea and Man City is that good. Our awful first half means a good run in the second half that could have carried us to the Top 4 will now leave us 6th or something.

Wayne Stamps
62 Posted 22/12/2014 at 13:55:31
Geoffrey 60
Hope you are right I will go to sleep now and wake up happy in May.
Phil Roberts
63 Posted 22/12/2014 at 13:44:24
For those who keep going on about "well in his 2nd season, Moyes finished 17th" . . .

The truth behind this is that on April 9th we beat Spurs and reached 12th in the league and 37 points. 2 away draws followed at Leeds (Rooney’s last ever goal for us) and Chelsea (2nd in the league) to take us to 39 points and 13th place. We were safe. Leicester and Wolves 11 points back with 4 games to go, Leeds 7 back and City 5 behind. We lost the plot, and the last 4 games and slumped from 13th to 17th - but we were never in any danger of being relegated.

So please do not ever give the impression we just survived. It was like qualifying for an athletics final and slowing down at the tape, but we were still among the qualifiers.

We have never been in the scrape come the last few games since the days of Agent Johnson.

Sam Hoare
64 Posted 22/12/2014 at 14:16:56
Also Phil, the team and resources that Moyes inherited were considerably more limited than those handed over to Roberto. If we were to come anywhere near 17th this season it would be an aberration compared to that season under Moyes.

Expectations are very different now. No trophies and below 7th equals failure in my eyes. But the die is not cast yet...though its looking loaded.

Chris Corn
65 Posted 22/12/2014 at 14:25:08
Phil 63, you can say the same about when Moyes took over with 9 games to go.. We beat Fulham and Derby in his first two games and we’re pretty much safe with seven left, yet plenty will say we were dead certs for relegation that year.. It’s all subjective how we choose to look at things..
Martin Kulkarni
66 Posted 22/12/2014 at 14:10:25
Dan#50

"RelegationÂ’ shouts are embarrassing and people need to pack that in. We wonÂ’t go down. Given our performances this season we will probably finish around where we are now with around 50 points. There are 6-8 teams worse than us at the moment so itÂ’s not even an issue."

Where are we going to get another 19 points from never mind 29?!! The way this is going, relegation is a very real possibility. This has happened before. Norwich and Wimbledon (if memory serves me correctly), dropped like the proverbial stone, and I mean dropped. It was startling! With the current Â’setupÂ’, why are we immune? I can see the 6-8 worse teams than us lining up to (a) Watch us self destruct and/or (b) Help us to self destruct. Teams donÂ’t even have to put a shift in, we just beat ourselves. No leadership. No heart. No fight. No belief. No passion. Players so tapped up, they are just counting the days down before they Â’make their escapeÂ’ to London and/or Manchester. I can certainly see this team dropping like a stone unless there is a change...yes Martinez has to go. Get Tony Pulis in to (a) kick the players up the arse. (b) Get the defenders to defend. ThatÂ’s all. (b) Select the right the right players to play in the right positions. Play the British way, not try to play like a poor manÂ’s version of Barcelona with unsuited players.
I know the scholars of the School of ScienceÂ’ will be up in arms at such an appointment. I would normally be one of those people. Unfortunately, we have no choice. It is that critical.

Geoffrey Caveney
67 Posted 22/12/2014 at 14:25:16
Wayne 62
I don’t hope I’m right, I still want us to make the Top 4 this season by some miracle!
It will take an extraordinary second half. I doubt it will happen. But I hold out hope. I wouldn’t sign for 6th or 7th just yet.
By the way, I too now have my doubts about Roberto long term. But even if he is not the answer long term, I still don’t see the value of getting rid of him right now.
Phil Roberts
68 Posted 22/12/2014 at 14:41:45
Top 4 this season!

Strewth - what have you been taking?

We will need about 70 points for that - minimum. So that is 49 points out of 63. So that is lose at Chelsea and draw 5 others - and win the other 15.

And that really would be some miracle!

Paul Tran
69 Posted 22/12/2014 at 14:37:43
So much nonsense spoken about ’the system’.

Last season we had a balanced team, everyone knew their jobs and by and large did them. We scored lots of goals and finished fifth.

This season has seen a lack of balance with many players and manager severely underperforming.

Everyone knew how the 1985 side played. They had balance, did their jobs consistently and no-one could live with them.

You can yack on about systems - it’s all about a lack of competence for me. From the top down. Nothing will change until these people do their jobs properly.

Peter Cummings
70 Posted 22/12/2014 at 14:32:22
Like you, mate, I have made the same comments over the last few weeks on TW. The passing has been atrocious the fighting spirit nil, team selections and substitutions baffling, Howard’s reluctance to dominate the area, the inability of us to cope with mass defending, the pivotal moment was when Lukaku scored the opener, what the hell was he doing in the area anyway? HeÂ’s supposed to be a CF.

I watched the Liverpool - Arsenal game yesterday and it was a travesty that the Reds nearly lost but even with ten men they showed a fighting spirit we sorely lack. Right now, as an Evertonian for over 60 years, I have never been so depressed and disappointed at our situation.

Colin Williams
71 Posted 22/12/2014 at 14:08:26
You canÂ’t polish Turds! And we have lots of them!
Excuse after excuse, (lots of apologies again from the so-called capt!) weÂ’ve NOT! got the players to be successful.

Another problem, Until Robbie takes his halo off is head, we are fecked! This guyÂ’s on-field decision making where managers earn their reputation is delusional.

IÂ’m starting to believe this "massive football club" has come to early in RobbieÂ’s managerial career! Hope IÂ’m wrong because early doors things looked very promising.

Andrew Clare
72 Posted 22/12/2014 at 15:23:57
What’s so awful is that it is such a mediocre league. Only Chelsea and Man City are playing at a decent level. Anyone who can put a run together would be right up there in the mix. We won’t.

Phil Rodgers
73 Posted 22/12/2014 at 15:14:14
This revisionism that Moyes was some sort of footballing ogre is really starting to get on my tits. For the majority of his reign we were a good side and played decent football. Yes, he was stubborn and pragmatic but he generally hit the objectives of a team with a budget much bigger than the one he was presented with.

Last seasons success was Moyes’ side with Barry and Lukaku, Deulofeu on loan. Credit has to be given to Martinez for progressing Barkley, Stones and Naismith, but this season we have gone backwards. All over the pitch we are out of form, the biggest worry for me being Tim Howard who has been incredibly poor.

I personally do not believe Martinez has the balls to turn this around and quite frankly I hate the football we are playing. This is a rant that I needed to get off my chest but I don’t believe for a second that he will be dismissed because of the massive contract he has just signed,.I just pray he can change because if he doesn’t I truly fear for our future.

Patrick Murphy
74 Posted 22/12/2014 at 15:35:59
I fully appreciate that what the manager says in public is not necessarily what he says to the players in private, however, if Roberto honestly believes that the performances since Wolfsburg have been good enough then either thousands of Evertonians need to make an appointment with Specsavers or Roberto does. He told the Echo :

The Catalan labelled the way Everton conceded as “soft” but he remains confident his side can mount a challenge for the top four by finding form in the second-half of the campaign.“It is a worry in terms of the results but not in terms of the performances,” said Martinez. “We didn’t defend the box well which is the top and bottom of it.“A 3-0 difference is very difficult to explain.

Why should we have to wait until the second-half of the season? Why should our season only start in February? DonÂ’t the next half-a-dozen games count? I cannot understand how a manager can come out with such tripe so often - nearly as bad as his counterpart across the park who believes they are top 4 material. both sound delusional if in slightly different ways.

Dan Hollingworth
75 Posted 22/12/2014 at 15:47:23
Martin Kulkarni @ 66

19 Points is only 6 wins and a draw. Burnley, Stoke, Leicester, West Brom, Newcastle, Sunderland all to play at home yet. QPR, Swansea, West Ham, Villa Away, you telling me you want to get Tony Pullis in to get us 19 points against them lot?

Were not going down. It shouldn’t even be discussed.

Knowing us we will probably go on a run now and do a cup double as well?

Brian Waring
76 Posted 22/12/2014 at 16:00:15
"but we were never in any danger of being relegated."

And the same goes for now Phil because we won’t be anywhere near the bottom come the end of the season. The way some go on though we are already in a relegation fight.

Clive Rogers
77 Posted 22/12/2014 at 16:38:14
Brian,

That team he picked against Saints probably would slip into trouble. We must be stronger with McCarthey and Stones back.
However I get a distinct impression something is wrong behind the scenes. Why have so many lost form together?

Denis Richardson
78 Posted 22/12/2014 at 16:15:41
I still think Martinez has it in his locker to be a great manager, am just not so sure he can change his ways to get us playing well and winning again. It would basically mean ditching his own philosophy and admitting and we need to be a bit more direct and give less shit about keeping possession at the back.

A good start is simply to play midfielders who’ll give us some width. Doing this will allow both Baines and Coleman to play better as they’ll have wide men to link up with and those same wide men will give them the confidence to bomb forward as they’ll (hopefully) cover the FBs when they go forward.

Playing players out wide, who are best in the middle, just screws us before a ball has even been kicked. Admittedly it doesnt help that Pienaar seems to be utter gash at the moment and Mirallas is injured. But we still have the likes of McGeady and Oviedo who’ll do a decent job out wide.

I pray to god that he’ll start Barkley next to whoever plays CDM against Stoke and at least one of McGeady or Oviedo at AM to give us some width and allow at least one of the FBs to play well.

He needs to finally realise that none of Barkley, Naismith, Osman or Eto should ever start a game out wide. If it means leaving two or more on the bench, then so be it. Eto should really be coming on in the second half of games anyway, at 34 he shouldn’t be starting games in the league.

One good thing is that something has to give sooner rather than later so things will change quickly.

Bill Gall
79 Posted 22/12/2014 at 17:16:37
Colin (#71),
I believe that your comment that a club the size of Everton may be to early for Mr Martinez may be right.

Mr Martinez was still a player in 2007. He took over as manager of Swansea for the 2007-08 season and was with them gaining promotion to the Premier League in the 2008-09 season. After that, he took over at Wigan and then Everton, so really his managerial career is only 7 seasons.

He may end up by being the exeption to the normal progress of Premier League managers that are usually assistant managers in the lower leagues going through the normal process of relegation and promotion and gradually moving successfully higher, gaining experience along the way.

He really has only one failure and that was with Wigan being relegated but I do not think he counted that as a failure as they won the cup.

Paul Tran
81 Posted 22/12/2014 at 18:19:47
For all those who want Martinez sacked and replaced by Pulls, two questions:

Where do you see us in two year’s time with him?

What are your ambitions for our club?

Bear in mind that when Walker was sacked we had escaped relegation on the final day the previous season, then were marooned at the bottom.

We’re not getting relegated. If you want a new manager, surely we can do better than Moyes - lite?

Kevin Tully
82 Posted 22/12/2014 at 18:26:10
There is no doubt we have been below par for most of the season, culminating in our worst performance against Southampton. Players are out of form, and the style of football has really been poor. You can also add some baffling line ups to that list. All fingers point to Martinez, no arguments there.

But feck me, the shouts for Pulis, Moyes or Joe Royle are beyond madness. No doubt we would hear Warnock’s name being bandied about if he was currently out of work.

We are not in the relegation zone, and we are currently mid-table, with 21 games left to play.

Martinez needs to pull his finger out, and get this team playing, but can everyone calm the fuck down please? Liverpool fans are backing their man, even though they are only one point ahead of us after spending 𧴭m!

What’s happened to make Evertonians boo after a win, and want the manager gone because we are mid-table? Is it because we all expected great things after last season?

Colin Williams
83 Posted 22/12/2014 at 18:12:23
Bill #79..obviously I hope Robbie can climb back on his horse! Although I wonÂ’t hold my breath. When I look at his philosophy about the game I see only one dimension. He seems fixed on, one philosophy, one strategy and one game plan....( hope he can "change" and grow as a manager with us)

Look, Our great club deserves better than where we are at present! Fecking hell, your not talking about just any club! WeÂ’re talking about EVERTON!!

Every year, I keep thinking, just maybe this year! But when I look from the outside- in, at our great club all my hopes vanish when I see a manager either out of is depth! or gone has far as he can! Also, the wrong appointment. (thereÂ’s been a few of them).... I was hoping like many of us, Robbie was the man!!

Patrick Murphy
84 Posted 22/12/2014 at 18:45:03
Kevin - It seems that apart from last season and perhaps the previous one Everton have managed to revert to their usual habit of being slow starters that we have seen all too often for the last dozen or so years. Looking shot-shy, lacking energy, lacking leadership etc etc.

Roberto is a little unfortunate that he took over a team that had played decent in 2012-13 and surpassed themselves in 2013-14, but in the last 9 months we have become too easy to beat and look laboured when trying to win games.

It isn’t only down to the manager, the players have a great many questions to answer,but between them, I still hope we can turn it around.

They don’t have to soar into the top 4 to win the supporters over, they just have to put in a decent shift and look as if they care about what is happening on the pitch. I get bored with reading about how the players feel disappointed about being unable to put a run together - just go all out to win the next game and forget about what happened in the last match and if they do that in every game then the fans will once again support the team in the way that they have done in the past.

As for the QPR match it was a good result but not a good performance and was barely better than has been seen in the last couple of months.

Frank Crewe
85 Posted 22/12/2014 at 17:19:26
@Pat#74

Both RM and Brenda have become concerned about keeping their jobs hence their ridiculous pronouncements in the press. Just as soon as this or that player is fit everything will be ok. It’s not going to happen. Last season they both touched lucky. All the the big money clubs, Manure, Chelsea and City, for one reason or another were having poor seasons by their standards. This gave clubs like Everton and Liverpool a chance to make some progress in the league, especially since neither side had any midweek European football to worry about.

Well last season is now the good old days and both RM and Brenda are under pressure and look like keen amateurs in a league of professionals.

Everton had an ageing squad last season and that needed addressing last summer. Unfortunately what with his world cup punditry commitments and being gods gift to footie management RM never quite got round to doing anything about it. Now he’s in the shit and doesn’t know how to get out of it beyond spouting endless bromides about jam tomorrow. Maybe he should have stuck to being a physio.

James Hughes
86 Posted 22/12/2014 at 19:02:26
I am not (yet ) worried but I am definitely concerned and frustrated with our displays this season. The general performances have been less than desirable to say the least and RMÂ’s inability to address this is baffling.

A ManagerÂ’s role is to get the best productivity out of the available talent at their disposal. Focus on the individualÂ’s strengths and try to limit any possible negative effects of their weaknesses on the team. This is true in all professions but Bobby Brown Shoes seems to be ignoring the basics.

Maybe we should club together and get him on a course, call it a crimbo present

Clive Rogers
87 Posted 22/12/2014 at 19:20:13
Frank #85,

Agree with what you say. I would add that he compounded the age problem with Eto and Barry. Their signings are looking like a disaster for EFC. If they are both on 𧴜 grand pw, their contracts will cost 㿅M, crippling us for the next 3 years.
I feel the manager is and will continue to pick them to justify their contracts to the chairman.

Harold Matthews
88 Posted 22/12/2014 at 18:57:35
Against Wolfsburg we played a flat back four with Hibbo and Garbutt rarely straying from their traditional fullback positions.
Helen Mallon
89 Posted 22/12/2014 at 19:32:44
It is not rocket science, two things need to happen. Play players in their proper positions and stop changing bloody winning teams. Its that simple.
Sean Kelly
90 Posted 22/12/2014 at 19:41:31
I couldn’t give a shit if Roberto remains as our manager. We have had shit football served for most of this year being followed by smiley rubbish spin to the media. Look Roberto you talk the talk mate it’s high time you walked the walk. The crap being layers on the pitch and being spouted of it has run its course. When Roberto came I was happy to hear his positive attitude but I have switched off to him now.

The fact that I along with many others have stopped believing the bullshit will make no real difference. The real problem I suspect is that the players are also tired of his spin. I’m not one to favour the old whiskey nose / Keano methods of constantly kicking a player in the bollox but at the moment many of our players need it. How stupid is it to keep telling players they are brilliant world beaters when the evidence is clearly there that they are performing shite. Collectively but mamager coaching staff and the selected eleven are not performing to a level acceptable to Evertons standard. If there is no massive improvement soon and consistently for the remainder of this season then they can collectively fuck off somewhere else. WE DESERVE BETTER.

Phil Walling
91 Posted 22/12/2014 at 19:56:48
Patrick Murphy, you’ve accused me of talking tripe in the past and you may well be right. But how the feck can you say St. Martin was ’unfortunate’ to take over a side that had done well in the two seasons before his arrival ?

The truth is that he inherited a pretty decent squad and with Lukaku, Barry and Delboy improved on it. Full credit.

This season the team is properly his and from the non pre season he has turned it into a dog’s dinner. Forget Moyes finishing 17th,not relevant. Forget Moyes having good second half-seasons. Not relevant as he also had some stinkers as well !

What we will agree on, I’m sure, is if we hammer Stoke on Boxing Day, the manager’s crown will be back in place and these columns will be empty !

Let’s just hope that’s the case.

Phil Walling
92 Posted 22/12/2014 at 20:39:37
Clive @ 87. Then how stupid is the chairman for buying into Roberto’s bullshit. No wonder he got conned into blowing all that bread on Lukaku and didn’t think King’s Dock was worth 㿊Million !
Patrick Murphy
93 Posted 22/12/2014 at 20:54:08
What I was trying to say in rather a clumsy way Phil - was that the team has often under-performed apart from the early Moyes years- they very often got off to a poor start followed by a second-half season rally but in the last 2 seasons Evertonians began to think we could perhaps see a team that would perform for the whole season but we were wrong as has been proved this season and to some extent the last third of last season.

Normally a new manager comes in and has problems to sort out and can rightfully - if the results improve - claim thanks for it and that in turn buys him time but he won’t be afforded that time - whether he deserves it is a matter of opinion, I don’t love the guy neither do I hate the guy but nothing has changed and fans have had enough of treading water and many now feel that we are in decline which obviously the manager has to take responsibility for but it is and always has been the players who take to the field, most of whom should have been ditched in 2009 following the FA Cup final defeat, they weren’t good enough then, so I don’t see how they could be good enough now.

Phil - You obviously think or believe that a different man in charge will see us return to where Moyes had us or better, perhaps you are correct, but I still think that whoever is Everton boss will have their work cut out motivating a bunch of players who think the street behind the goal at Goodison Park is called easy street.

Sean Kelly
94 Posted 22/12/2014 at 21:16:31
Gone very quiet down at Goodison and Finch Farm are they having a sleep over in Roberto"s holiday home?
Bill Gall
95 Posted 22/12/2014 at 21:02:47
Colin # 83 Honestly I agree fully with your comments that Everton deserve some one better than what we sometimes get. As supporters the only one we can hold accountable is B.K. who hires these people.I have said before but have no proof that after Moyes left Martinez was the only person offered the post.

I do hope that Martinez can turn it around so we can say that it was all his tactics that brought us the success we had last season but as this season is going backwards he has to do something dramatic to turn it around.

Personally I believe that Mr Martinez is to stubborn to admit the philosophy he wishes to install to the club is not working and he will continue playing it .

Other formations of players may improve his style of play but even he after trying Barkley out of position with Eto’o and Lukaku he has to admit he is wrong and start using the players he has in their correct positions even though they may not be as good as the player they replace.

We will never get consistancy in the team if it is not balanced. I do not care if we win and he just says we played well instead of it being phenomanal.

Colin Williams
96 Posted 22/12/2014 at 22:05:05
Bill #95 Bill, when you look how the season has unfolded into, sheer bewilderment, between all blues. Due to constant poor decision making... through team formations, player selection and game time decision making.

It seems like heÂ’s consistently making the wrong call at present. Look, we all have a difference of opinions on players, due to subjective views, also with systems of play and team formations. I just feel RobbieÂ’s overall football decisions are fecking weird!!... They say! " donÂ’t change things if itÂ’s not broken" "WELL" it is broken! Fecking change things NOW!

This guy has played the game at a decent level and also been brought up in a great football culture/ environment. I just canÂ’t fathom out why he makes such strange decisions on all things Everton.

I really thought this season would be a season of change. I was led to believe the talented youth players we have within our club would be given a real opportunity to shine and develop into our next generation of stars. Nothing could be further from the truth! At this stage these talented, frustrated players must be absolutely gutted the way things have gone up to now.

The BK saga, I try and keep away from. I have enough problems trying to control my frustration with our managers anticÂ’s.

John Gee
97 Posted 23/12/2014 at 01:04:39
We don’t owe this guy a living nor any of the players. The Christmas period will show us a lot as the players probably won’t train to any taxing extent thereby slightly nullifying the obvious finch farm bondage sessions.

We have pace, strength and guile in the squad. If Martinez can’t find a way to put that on the pitch then he’s not the manager we need. It’s about time this club reestablished itself. We’ve been treading water for far too long. And last season, as good as it was until we threw it away, is not good enough.

Bill Gall
98 Posted 23/12/2014 at 01:40:43
Colin # 96 colin as I said before I agree with you and reading your comments I can practically feel the frustration you are feeling.

To me you believe that Martinez should be fired now and that is a feeling from a number of supporters but I doubt very much if that will happen. B.K.will not admit that Martinez is not the manager for Everton until he gets the club in a precarious position and I don’t think that will happen. We just have to hope that he understands what he is doing wrong and sorts it out.

Matt Traynor
99 Posted 23/12/2014 at 02:55:57
Phil #73, I wasn’t going to respond as I couldn’t be arsed to, and assumed someone else would. To my surprise, they haven’t.

You state: "This revisionism that Moyes was some sort of footballing ogre is really starting to get on my tits." which is a fair point. Moyes served Everton well and earned his place in our historical records for his longevity.

You then go on to, in my opinion, commit an act of revisionism in the next sentence: "For the majority of his reign we were a good side and played decent football."

I can’t agree there. I agree the first few years he had to roll-over the squad he inherited, and there were spells in the last 3-4 years of his tenure that we did play some good stuff, but it was never sustained, and invariably reverted to the safety first "knife to a gunfight" crap.

What amazes me is Moyes got 11 years, didn’t come close to winning anything (unless you count an FA Cup final appearance when the team turned up and little else as close), and on the whole retained the support of a pliant fanbase during that time.

RM deserves the brickbats coming his way right now, in as much as he deserved the plaudits he got last season. But for some of our fanbase to be calling for change, less than 2 years in when the predecessor got 11 years to refine his version of boreball is a fucking joke. To see Pulis’ name mentioned just makes me cringe. Why not Allardyce? West Ham are doing well and he’s out of contract in the summer?

Steve Orchard
100 Posted 23/12/2014 at 09:57:22
Helen @89 nail, head! DonÂ’t get why the team was changed so drastically from the Monday night game. It was only Mirallas who couldnÂ’t play, Barkley was Man of the Match then he ends up somewhere else on the pitch!

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not calling for his head or anything because I don’t believe there’s anybody else who could do any better out there who’s available at the moment and I do like him and his way forward for us. But he has to be tactically more astute and be able to get more out of the players playing where they need to be.

I would love to see an absolute cauldron of a Goodison against Stoke and us batter them with effort and great ball movement and not let them out of their own half for first half hour at least!

Harold Matthews
101 Posted 23/12/2014 at 10:33:33
Just watched the Jags PRE-match interview on the Official site. Astonishing, to say the least. Upbeat and raring to go? You must be joking.

Throughout the interview he stared at the floor and kept mumbling "Hopefully." A portrait of a man without confidence. A man who is our chief dressing room and on-the pitch motivator.

This was followed by the Martinez post-match interview where he pondered, "Teams will change things around to suit the way we play and that has to be a concern."

All in all, a pretty sad state of affairs.

Joe Clitherow
102 Posted 23/12/2014 at 11:00:27
Matt IÂ’ll tell you exactly why some are calling for RMÂ’s head after 2 rather than the 11 Moyes got then.

ItÂ’s because Moyes inherited a team that sooner or later would have been relegated when its luck ran out and even BK had to act eventually. Year on year, with the odd wobble, Moyes improved on this until he hit his limits in the last 3 years or so. If there were such a thing as a TW mailbag archive you would see pretty much wall to wall IMWT from everyone including our esteemed editor until fairly recent times. It *was* time for Moyes to go.

RM inherited a Top 6 side, no question of that at all and my belief is that he is dismantling every pragmatic positive aspect of our team which got us in that position so yes I think he should go. Football clichés like "earn the right to play", "keep the spine of the team strong", "you can’t be successful" without a strong defence are actually 100% true, certainly in England, and they are consistentlying applied without fail through the top teams.

They were the bedrock of Moyes and IMHO he struggled to get much beyond these but RM seems to completely disregard these practicalities for his "philosophy" and that is what is really worrying me the most. I think he is a busted flush.

Dave Lynch
103 Posted 23/12/2014 at 11:08:49
So in effect Harold, he is saying we only have one way in which we play?

If a opposing manager can set up his team to play effectively against us before the start of the match then God help us for the rest of the season!

How about this for a novel idea. Study the opposition and set US up to exploit THEIR frailties, give THEM something to think about, it’s called tactical nouse, not playing by numbers...

Kevin Tully
104 Posted 23/12/2014 at 11:24:19
Luke OÂ’Farrell, who has sometimes posted on these pages said after the QPR game ; "Booing a side minutes from a two-goal victory is like a spoiled, rich kid complaining his new Ferrari is the wrong color."

On another thread, someone is no longer supporting the Blues, he is packing in football altogether.

These boards are full of drama queens, all trying to outdo each other with their condemnation of the manager and players. Cries of "Martinez out" from some, and even that chavvy baseball cap wearing divvy, Pulis, has been the suggestion of quite a few on here.

Fuck me, we have finally morphed into a poor Man Utd.

I am just waiting for the next post of how hurt someone is feeling, and they are refusing to eat Christmas dinner, or going on a dirty protest outside the Gwladys St.

Anyone want a noose?

Barry Thompson
105 Posted 23/12/2014 at 11:49:36
The way Everton are performing has, I must admit, left me feeling really hurt. So much so that instead of eating my Christmas dinner with my nearest & dearest I’m off down to the Old Lady to organise a protest march. I’m sick of these fuckers consistently letting us down.
So there.