About thirty years ago, my Grandad gave me, what has always been, a prized possession. N The football pink for Dixie’s 60th goal. For all I know it’s the only surviving copy, so before time erodes the delicate paper, i’ve copied the match report and would like to share, word for word what happened on that special day with my fellow Blues. The front page top right corner had an advert for Neills hats in Dale street, Macs for 21 shillings with raincoats and spring coats from 3 guineas. The papers title in bold letters, FOOTBALL EXPRESS edition number 17,683, Liverpool Saturday May 5th 1928. Side headline Manchester Utd stay in the first division Sub heading Liverpool beaten 6-1 at Old Trafford Main title DEAN SMASHES THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE GOAL RECORD sub heading Three goals against the Arsenal, 60,000 spectators see great feat completed. Thrilling scenes, Ball in net three times in first four minutes. Next is the match report, word for word used by the anon reporter of the day. Match report Remarkable scenes were witnessed at Goodison Park today, when thousands gathered to hail Everton as the premier league club. By 2.30 the ground was packed, and the stage was already set for the game which had been keenly anticipated. It was a glorious sunshiny day, ideal for seeing, if hot for playing. A mass of faces surrounded the enclosure, the stands were packed early, the doors closed, all available accommodation filled in paddocks and every corner was occupied. Outside there were further crowds wandering from one door to the other seeking to gain admission. Cheering crowd Inside, the time was whiled away by the spirited playing of the 12 piece band and when this ceased the marconiphone speakers were turned with musical items. Cheers were raised as Mr Cuff, the chairman of the Everton club took a seat in the directors stand and there was another outburst for Mr J Mckenna the chairman of the football league who sat behind the cup which was given place of honour in the centre of the stand. A wonderful scene of enthusiasm had greeted the entry of the cup as it was placed into position by Mr T Mcintosh, the Everton secretary. Amongst the spectators, were many prominent personages in the game. Mrs Dean, the mother of Dixie and his younger sister, Marjorie, who is an ardent follower of the game, were among the onlookers. Mrs Dean said to me,” I have come in the hope of seeing William get his record, but i must not be too disappointed if he should fail”. The Arsenal players did not arrive until 2.30 in a motor charabanc and they were given a warm salutation as they entered. Buchans last game Charlie Buchan who came into the press area before the start said to me, “Yes this is my farewell performance, it is my last football game and i am pleased to play under such auspicious circumstances. In the Arsenal forward line, Buchan took the inside right position, Shaw going to the centre, while Brain filled the inside left position in place of Peel who went to the outside left position. The Arsenal brought in Paterson, the reserve goalkeeper for Lewis, who had suffered a bereavement, his father having been killed. The Everton side remained unchanged. Police were stationed on the touchline and behind both goal lines and Mr Cuff in a few words over a marconiphone, asked the crowd to remain in their places during and after the game. The ground was in excellent trim, except the huge octagonal shaped brown patch in the centre was bare of grass and dusty. There was a large demand for the Everton colours to be fixed to the cup and cheers ran round the ground when Mr Mcintosh complied with the request. Everton were first to come on, amid tremendous cheering and were followed by the Arsenal, in their deep red jerseys and they were also given a cheer. Everton team Davies goalkeeper, Cresswell and O’Donnell in defence, Kelly, Hart. Virr in midfield, Critchley, Martin. Dean, Walden, Troup in attack. Referee W Harper from Stourbridge The ground was packed to capacity with a crowd of about 60,000. Buchan, having won the toss let Dean have first kick. A smart triangular move between Virr,Weldon and Troup saw the Arsenal on defence, Martin being in the picture for some pretty work in front of the gunners goal. Parker , however kicked soundly, Creswell did the same when Peel and Brain got into the action. Everton were in an aggressive mood and following one clearance by Virr, slipped a pass to Dean who forged his way ahead, John adopting safety first and putting the ball outside. Deans double A tornado of cheers nearly cracked the cup and a sensation worthy of the occasion occurred. Dean inside the first four minutes of the game had improved his record and equalled Camsells. Three goals were scored in four minutes, the first by Shaw of the Arsenal. The other two were credited to Dean. Everton in the third minute halted after an attack and Brain hit the ball to Shaw. He was away like a flash and the Everton backs went to meet him about 25 yards from goal. Shaw stopped as did the Everton backs expecting him to beat them. He shot instantly, a low ground drive which Davies dropped to pick up nonchalantly. The crowd were dumbfounded when the ball passed between his hands and into the net. It would not have occurred if Davies had had his legs together in the approved style. Everton, in the next minute, straight from the kick off hurled themselves on the right flank, where Critchley took a corner kick, coming to Martin, who flicked it to the head of Dean, who was standing to the left of Paterson. An old head Dixie in his own inimitable way, glided it sweet and low with his head, right into the net. It was a capital goal and complete recompense for an early blunder. The tornado of cheers had scarcely died down and the spectators opened their eyes to the sensations when another was clapped upon them. Everton again in the next minute after their first goal, launched their devastating attack straight from the kick off and Dean was seen leaping headlong through the defence when he crashed on bare hard ground when tackled by John. The Everton leader was clearly dazed by the impact of his fall, the crowd howled “ penalty “ and Mr Harper approved and pointed to the spot. From the spot The crowd roared “ Dean” and it was Dean and another Dean goal. This was exciting enough in all conscience, the fact that Everton had also scored their hundredth goal of the season delighting the spectators. Everton too, continued to level attack after attack and Dean kept forging his way through, the sturdy back, John, again and again barring his path. Dean however,unloaded one hot shot which hit the foot of the post and the Gunners could only beat off the Everton attack with a corner. Critchley was prominent for some choice crosses and Troup as seen in duel after duel with Parker, the little winger having difficulty in getting in his final shot. There was no mistake that his colleagues were dishing out the ball to Dean and on one occasion, Critchley slipped him a great chance while Martin flicked the ball to him again with his head. Dixie, however, was now finding the road to progress hard, for the Arsenal defence were on him like flies around honey. That stumpy bulldog figure, John, was doing yeoman service in keeping the dangerous centre forward out. Parker also had a dashing and fiery way of holding up the Everton attack. The Arsenal were slow in rousing themselves, but Buchan at last showed us that he is still a power in the land although his pace is not what it was and he and Hulme were prominent. Worried Gunners Shaw gave the ball air when well placed for a close up shot. Everton again began to worry the Gunners, this time on the left wing and Dean was again plied with passes and ran into a position for a vital shot. Paterson hastily beat it down and finally extricated himself with Dean trying to force him and the ball through. Dean was going all out for his 60th goal. A feature was the way Troups’ tricks was nonplussing Parker and was after beating this back, Troup passed the ball to Weldon, who had the register of the target, Paterson jumping to it and throwing the ball out. Virr slipped in a drive which passed inches wide. In the next minute, Hulme twinkled down the line after lovely combination with Shaw and put in a hard drive from an acute angle, which Davies caught and dropped, Cresswell booted clear instantly. It was then Dean again, the first time Paterson thumped clear with Dean on top of him, then twice the Everton leader had a shot. Davies appeared not too sure and upset by his misfortune in the second minute, he again just managed to clear a bouncing shot from Hulme. The Arsenal had not forgotten the arts and graces of the game and had the crowd for a spell in comparative silence, enjoyed the exhibition, while the Everton defence stood by and checked the Gunners when they came near the goal. It was in the 40th minute that the Arsenal picked up a particular cheap goal. Play had been made by Buchan who drove the ball up to Shaw, the latter passed to Hulme who closed in. There seemed to be a misunderstanding between O’Donnell and Davies, while Hulme was in close attendance ready for the vital shot. O’Donnell, to the consternation of the crowd, put the ball through his own goal, either with the intention of clearing, or else giving a pass back to Davies, who was taken quite unawares. Towards the interval, Dean missed a couple of chances, one being a tap by his head from a pass by Troup. Half Time Everton 2 Arsenal 2 It was an exhilarating first half with the forwards getting some real assistance from the halves. As far as Dean was concerned, every opportunity was given to him to get his coveted goals, but he had to contend with two dashing backs and a most resourceful centre half in Butler, who was particularly clever in covering up. It was unfortunate O’Donnell should have given this goal away because this incident should most certainly have been avoided. It was every man for Dean and none for himself straight from the kick off. Dean was plied with chances innumerable and each man gave him the ball in all positions. His first chance was when Hart gave it to Critchley and the winger sped down and lobbed to Dean, the Everton centre forward bore down on Parker as Paterson advanced as the full back kicked clear. Paterson punch Dean, twice in as many seconds was right on top of Paterson, but at the second time of asking, Paterson punched clear as he was falling on the line and repeated the performance a minute later. The Arsenal then got into Evertons half for a brief moment but the ball was again punted to Dean, who flung himself headlong between the backs, swerved to the right and crashed in a drive which Paterson dropped to on the goal line and only gathered the ball as it was passing for a corner. It was Critchley who broke the ceaseless Dean tattoo, when he hit a drive, which shot up in the air off the corner of the woodwork and this, be it noted, was only after Dean had failed to get through first. It was undoubtedly Dean first today and Everton afterwards. The half backs had such constructional ability that the Everton forwards were encouraged to play but their finishing was disappointing. The genius of Buchan glimpsed out in his efforts to get the Gunners forward. He was wearing a plaster on his face having been damaged in the first half. The Everton defence had a way of butting into the pretty moves of the Gunners but Hulme nevertheless got in a couple of choice crosses and one passed right over Peel, the climax being a high dipping shot, which called all the resources of Davies to deal with. After Martin had caused Paterson to nearly twist himself double to thump clear, Dean was away and this time his drive dropped just behind the cross bar as Paterson sprang to it. Unusual stoppage The game was then held up for an amusing little interlude. Paterson, after Evertons attack, waved to the referee to stop the game, as he approached a policeman and borrowed a handkerchief. THe referee and others then assisted to extract dust from his eye. During an Everton attack, the ball struck a small boy, who had climbed over the wall onto the ground, but apparently he was not too much hurt and was helped back again by one of the ambulance men. Brain put a difficult shot past the upright from a well placed pass by Barker, but the Arsenal were only dangerous on isolated occasions, one of which was when Cresswell cleared from close under the goal from a free kick by Barker. The pace of the game had slackened somewhat but it was full of incident with each side struggling for the lead and with Dean running himself out in his chase for that elusive goal. That goal !!! Paterson saved from Weldon seven minutes from the end and them Martin hit a high drive which Paterson put behind for a corner. Troup took the flag kick and Dean headed it past Paterson. Dean as usual got his head to the ball from a bunch of players before anyone could get to it. The success of Dean was a signal for unprecedented scenes of enthusiasm, the ground rang with the volume of cheering for several minutes. He was mobbed by his fellow players, while this was going on, a small boy evaded the policemen who were chasing him and insisted on shaking hands with Dean despite the efforts of the referee to stop him. The boy reached Dean, shook him by the hand and then proceeded to ruffle his hair amid the merriment of the crowd. The referee finally got the youngster by the scruff of his neck and escorted him from the field. Just before the finish Shaw scored for the Arsenal, taking a fine pass from Peel, Davies being none to certain. Final Everton 3 Arsenal 3 What a day Amidst further scenes of enthusiasm, the crowd refrained from overrunning the playing area, although owing to the great tumult, were hardly able to hear what Mr McKenna said when he presented the cup. The Everton players went on to the stand and were cheered again and again, Dean coming in for a special reception. Mr McKenna handed the cup to Cresswell and who promptly handed it to Dean, who flourished it into the air and then passed it onto the other players for inspection. The chairman of the club, Mr Cuff, then addressed the crowd and stated this had been the most brilliant season in the history of the club, in which they had obtained a remarkable number of away points. Mr Cuff referred, amid much cheering, to the brilliant feat of Dean and also expressed gratification that Everton had scored more than one hundred goals in one season for the first time in their history. The ceremony concluded with three cheers, much magnified by the crowd who went almost wild with excitement. So there we have it, word for word the actual account of the day from what we knew as the Football Pink/ Echo but originally the Football Express. Probably the oldest “ from my seat “ report on TW. I wish the name of the reporter was known but thanks to him, It’s good to know your history.

Share this article

Reader Comments (5)

Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer

Peter Mills
1 Posted 23/12/2014 at 08:26:18
Happy Christmas Ken!
Jamie Yates
2 Posted 23/12/2014 at 09:25:42
Brilliant! Thanks so much for that, what a read!
Dennis Stevens
3 Posted 23/12/2014 at 10:56:44
Brilliant stuff, Dave. I hope that precious item is museum bound for posterity.
Rob Sawyer
4 Posted 23/12/2014 at 13:19:06
Excellent stuff Dave - something to lift the spirits after a dire weekend.

Billy Smith of EFC Heritage Society runs a wonderful website, bluecorrespondent.co.uk . It documents newspaper reports on Everton back to the 1800s - it is well worth a look. Here is the Daily Courier match report for this momentous day which Billy transcribed for the website:

May 7th 1928 - The Daily Courier.



Memorable scenes marked the final match between Everton and the Arsenal at Goodison Park, when two records were made. Dean became the champion English goal-scorer passing Camsell's figure of 59 by one, and his club set up new goal-scoring figures of 102, their greatest total in a season of League games. It was well on the second half before “Sixty” Dean made history. A sporting incident was that John Butler, the Arsenal international centre-half, who had been doing his utmost to spoil “Dixie” ambition, took the opportunity of going up and giving him a hand-shake.


The history-making game was not one of Dean's most spectacular in a way although it was characteristic of him, for when the ball came in from a corner Dean was in the midst of a bunch of players –friend and foe, and when it was a case of whose head was going to reach the ball first it was a foregone conclusion it would be Dean's. He nodded the ball into the right hand corner of the net. The air was full of electrical disturbances after that, and it was just possible the crowd might have over-run the ground as they saw Dean's colleagues hugging him. Instead, the crowd cheered themselves, out for more than five minutes without stopping. A small boy wriggled by policemen and officials, and succeeded in reaching Dean in the centre of the field and giving him a handshake.


Then an excited supporter rushed on waving his arms wildly until he reached Dean, and likewise gave him a hand grip. Not content with that, he proceeded to ruffle Dean's hair as a further mark of affection before Referee Harper, not too gently seized him by the scruff of the neck and the pantaloons, and pushed him into the hands of a policeman. Fortunately the crowd refrained from over running the ground.

Everton sustained a shock in the first two minutes when Shaw, reminding us of Chambers in his style, and who proved an admirable leader, put the Arsenal ahead with a direct shot Davies, not too confident, letting the ball slip through his hands. Dean, however, immediately raised the temporary drooping spirits with a couple of goals, which helped him well on the road to beating Camsell's 59. The first one from a corner taken by Critchley, Martin turning the ball over to Dean, who clinched matters with his head. The second was from a penalty kick , after Butler had accidentally tripped Dean, who fell heavily. It was, however, an exceptionally clean game. Everton with the first goal, had reached the “100” mark this season, and Dean now started to chase the elusive record-breaking goal, which seemed so hard to obtain and did not arrive until seven minutes before the end. This also followed a corner kick, taken by Troup, and it was easily Dean's head, which was first to the ball to nod it into the net amid a memorable scene. Shaw, who was one of the best forwards the Gunners had on view, was a capable leader, and he was responsible for a goal right at the beginning and at the end. O'Donnell made him a present of a goal near the interval, for he inexplicably turned the ball over his own goal line as Davies was attempting to pick it up.

Teams: - Everton: Davies, goal, Cresswell (captain) and O'Donnell, backs, Kelly, Hart and Virr half-backs, Critchley, Martin, Dean, Weldon and Troup, forwards. Arsenal: Paterson, goal, Parker, and John, backs, Baker, Butler, and Blyth, half-backs, Hulme, Buchan, Shaw, Brain, and Peel, forwards.

Paul Wharton
5 Posted 23/12/2014 at 21:18:37
Why not donate the pink to the Everton collection, a wonderful gesture.

Add Your Comments

In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.

» Log in now

Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.

About these ads

© ToffeeWeb