Writing your first article for any website as I am is quite a challenging thing to do. Therefore, I decided to write about something that I had a great first-hand experience of and that others could relate to; being a blue down south!

If you were born on Merseyside, you are either a red or a blue. It's as simple as that. There are no other options (unless you happen to have a persuasion for sheep; Tranmere is the team for you!). This was the choice that befell my dad when he arrived into the world in the 1960s and, perhaps unwisely, he picked the colours of Everton. His dad (my grandad) had followed us himself and could remember as far back as the legend that was Dixie Dean.

As a season ticket holder in the 70s and 80s, he watched probably our greatest ever side before moving south for work (at Heathrow) in 1987. 12 years later he had three sons and naturally, all of us were blues too. We were Evertonians, but not from Liverpool. Life would be tough!

Now, I'm sure many of the readers of this website live down in the southern part of the country as well, and can speak of similar experiences. I have sympathy for you and all the other Toffees living further south than Crewe. One of our bigger problems are the so-called "fans" of Liverpool, our esteemed neighbours, and Manchester United. Many of these "plazzies" have never been within 100 miles of their respective clubs and the majority can't even name their starting eleven. Some of the "hardest" supporters couldn't even tell you if they had won over the weekend. Nevertheless, as soon as they realise that their team managed to beat Everton, you'll never hear the end of it. The ribbing goes on and on. It's quite sad if I'm totally honest.

Of course, I'm fine with banter and friendly rivalry, football is just a game after all. However, when someone who blatantly doesn't even know what city the Liver Building is situated in, is taking the piss after a 4-0 derby loss, that just takes it too far. My school is a great example of this and sums up the feeling down here. My two brothers and I support Everton. A kid in the year below supports Everton. No-one else supports Everton. That is 4 people out of 1,100, three-quarters of them in the same family. Meanwhile, my form alone contains 4 Kopites. You start to feel a bit outnumbered even if half of them couldn't point out Liverpool on a map of the North West.

Despite this, as an eternally suffering Evertonian, you learn to cope with hardship and get by in life. It's what we do. You take the stick after a loss to Arsenal or Chelsea and enjoy it on the (very) few occasions when you can give it back. Soon enough though, the suffering continues. Ignorant southerners from the Home Counties calling Everton a "small shit team who've never won anything", without realising that we've played more matches in the top flight than any other team. Spurs fans saying Danny Rose is better than Coleman or that their shite North London Derby is a historically bigger game than ours. You hear it all.

As mentioned previously, I'm certain many readers go through the same stuff day in, day out. However, being young and mixing with people of my age, I believe the lack of understanding is worse. Having to explain the significance of the tragic Heysel Disaster to most of the redshite is a common occurrence. Many don't realise what they've done to us over the years. I've described the events of Thomas, Poll and "Hand"sen derbies multiple times (drilled into me by dad!) but they don't take it in. All they remember is the Suarez "offside" goal a couple of years back and think we get all the luck.

But this takes us to the root of the problem. Here, you aren't born blue or red. You are born as (or more often than not change to) Spurs, Fulham, Reading, QPR, West Ham, Arsenal or Chelsea fans. There is no understanding, no support, no backup. There is only one view of us which, unsurprisingly, is "Ha, you're just a small club overshadowed by Liverpool!".

Sure, there are lots of benefits to living near London and I'm trying desperately to sound like I'm not whining. However, in purely footballing terms, it's not a place you want to be. I still get a thrill seeing someone walk about in a royal blue shirt when visiting my dad's home city because I just never see it anywhere else. Anyone contemplating moving South, prepare yourself for these inevitable events. They will happen!

(By the way, the most frustrating non-football related thing about living down here is constantly being corrected after pronouncing "grass", "pass" or "France" in the normal way, the proper way, the Northern way. It's spelt "pass" not "parse".)

Reader Comments (54)

Matt Williams
1 Posted 07/03/2015 at 09:47:10
A good read I thought.

I limited experience of this, I've only ever lived on Merseyside but my aunty who is from Huyton has lived in London since the 70's, as a result I have cousin who supports Spurs because that's the team his Scottish dad decided upon many moons ago.

Anyway at my little cousins football birthday party in the late 90's I asked all the little cockney gets why they supported Man Utd when they're from London, there reply was why do you support Everton when you're from Liverpool.

Don't know how you cope full time!

Kevin Tully
2 Posted 07/03/2015 at 10:54:11
A great read, Sam. Just remember mate, because you are not a glory-hunter, it means a lot more to you. It's not just down South where you find RS don't know where to find Anfield though, try my two brothers, while the three blue brothers all 'go the game.'

Keep the faith kid, you are the one who can act superior in front of your mates, you are a 'proper' footy fan. Not a plastic gobshite.

David Greenwood
3 Posted 07/03/2015 at 11:22:41
Good read Sam. Keep your head up, you are the real football fan.
Dave Abrahams
4 Posted 07/03/2015 at 11:22:33
Sam,a good read, remember there are millions of Sky reds,thousands in Liverpool who go to the pub with their red shirts on, who tell you they are going to the match, unbelievable, if it wasn't for the Norwegians. Cockneys etc. they would have lower gates than us.
Denis Richardson
5 Posted 07/03/2015 at 11:38:11
Good read Sam and all I can say is hang in there. Having grown up in London I know how you feel. I can't actually remember another Everton fan in my school! (Still most of my school days were in the 80s:-)
Chris Gould
6 Posted 07/03/2015 at 11:56:49
Hey, Sam, I grew up in Somerset and suffered the same taunts as you as a kid. I could give as good as I got through the mid 80s but after that I was cannon fodder to RS fans that suddenly appeared from everywhere after our decline. I now live in Surrey and have been cruel enough to brainwash my 2 sons into being a blue. They wear their shirts with pride but are massively outnumbered by the Chelsea fans. The thing is, like you said, I doubt any of these kids have watched Chelsea and probably couldn't name a starting eleven. My 9 year old knows every player's name, their squad number, what make of boots they wear, and what car they drive. I think I will also brainwash my daughters when they're old enough. We can all suffer together. We only manage about 4-5 games a season and only go to Goodison Park once a season, but we're still true blue...and wouldn't change it for the world. You aren't alone and you're part of a magnificent family. Keep wearing your shirt with pride.
Andrew James
7 Posted 07/03/2015 at 13:34:52
Sam, feeling your pain. I am in my 30's and have always lived down South apart from a brief few years in the North West. You hit the nail on about the Man Utd and RS "fans" not knowing their history nor the line up at the weekend.

To add to your examples, I once asked a RS "fan" which manager was in charge when they first one the European Cup. They hesitated for ages before getting it wrong. He knew nothing of Heysel, Ian Rush...the list went on. Man Utd fans are probably worse though. They always come up with some justification as to why they're from the South but support United. It's always incredibly tenuous, seems to be post 1993 and I wish they'd just come out and admit they're glory seekers. These are the clowns that go on Radio 5 Live and call for Wayne Rooney to be dropped to the reserves because he has one bad game.

The other trend in the South in the last 20 years has been the rise of Chelsea fans. When I was growing up I think I knew maybe one Chelsea fan in school and he was in my brother's year. Now, wherever you go in the South East, there are dozens of them. I just wonder though, especially of the older ones, were they really supporting Chelsea 30 years ago? I doubt it.

Just be thankful you didn't choose your football club and that you support them not through some big feeling of inadequacy which is what I find with most of those following the other clubs I have mentioned. Wow, on recent form, I'm not sure what we'd all do if that was the case!

Charles Barrow
8 Posted 07/03/2015 at 13:30:33
My sympathies Sam. I’m a scouser but have lived in the South for over 30 years. I live in Brighton now and one of the sad things about the premiership is the number of youngsters who don’t support Brighton and Hove Albion; their local club, but who support Chelsea, Man utd or Liverpool (Arsenal were popular 10 years ago, City becoming popular!). When I go to the pub to watch Everton with a few Evertonian scouser mates it is often quite empty unless we play one of the ’popular’ teams -then its full of aggressive locals who know shite all about their team and have never been anywhere near Old Trafford or Anfield.

In fact I play in a Five-a-side league in Brighton and our team has a squad of 8; including me and another scouser, who’s an Evertonian, and there are 3 others from Kent, Sussex and London - all RS adherents but have never been to Anfield or even intend to go but are full of opinions!(ps Roberto, if you’re reading, I scored a hat trick on Tuesday - and I’m willing to play for free)

I work at the University and i’m sick to death of the students from the South who walk round in Liverpool shirts or tops with the Anfield logo - any in my class get instant 10% reduction in their assignment mark!!

Anyway keep the faith - it will all come good in the end?!

Paul Avery
9 Posted 07/03/2015 at 16:51:50
I am a life-long Everton fan. I live in Walthamstow, East London.

IÂ’m pretty sure im the only one!
Dave Lynch
10 Posted 07/03/2015 at 18:29:21
Chin up sunshine.

I usually hate smugness and people who feel superior to others but you can do both in bucketfuls with my blessing.

The Sky generation retards in your school will never ever know what supporting a team realy means and that is, the pain, frustration, anger, heartache and sheer ecstasy that comes with truly loving your team.

So just look them in the eye and smile, whilst thinking to yourself. " What a knob".

Doug Harris
11 Posted 07/03/2015 at 18:52:51
Great post, Sam. Being a Blue has never been easy lad. We live through all the crap anyone else has to say about us, even on Merseyside. You will never regret your dad putting you forward as one of the chosen not that he did you were chosen anyway.
Can I just say what a fella ya dad was to name you Sam Day. In a saff-ern accent, Sam Day watch us go lad ...
Peter McHugh
12 Posted 07/03/2015 at 18:57:49
I get it but you donÂ’t know what itÂ’s like up here - all full of opinions they could go match but donÂ’t (except maybe to an odd European game). And bloody hell going to school or work up here with our derby record after a match - think I would rather live down south.

Totally get what youÂ’re saying - fortunately or unfortunately whichever way you look at it youÂ’re just an Evertonian. YouÂ’ll find you donÂ’t like any other teams - obviously youÂ’ll have the red shite no other but most other teams come close. U may not think that now but the more u get to know another team and their fans the more you dislike them. So you couldnÂ’t choose another team if you wanted to - we are chosen like it or not!

DonÂ’t know if youÂ’ve ever seen us win - itÂ’s unbelievable canÂ’t explain it. I saw us win in 95 fantastic.

ItÂ’s not as bad as you think - itÂ’s just that you love us so much and we deserve success so more than other fans .

Peter Laing
13 Posted 07/03/2015 at 22:10:47
I've had a job offer down South with a decision needed by early next week. Given that I have spent all of my 40 years in Liverpool, have 3 season tickets for me and my two sons (10 and 12y), reading this piece just adds to the agony over my potential decision ! Thanks Sam !!
Rick Tarleton
14 Posted 08/03/2015 at 06:56:58
Left Liverpool when I was eighteen, fifty years ago. One son and one grandson have retained the faith. Round herein Rutland, they support Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and just occasionally the local team, Leicester City. But you do see Everton shirts, one bloke, bless him at a grandson's primary, wears an Everton top or t shirt every day. My dentist is a blue too.
However, we're all scousers or in the case of my son and grandson, connected to Everton. The so called locals of the Sky generation simply pick a team off the television that's successful and call themselves supporters.
Strangely Man City have yet to crack this market , I see far more Arsenal and Spurs shirts than Man City.
Stephen Brown
15 Posted 08/03/2015 at 07:21:20
There are quite a few blues where I live in Swansea. Mostly around the 35 year old mark. It's a frustrating business though ! Obviously most of my mates are Swans fans and I remember when the Swans were about 6th in the league a season or two back behind Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal , Man Utd and Everton I made a comment that they were only behind the teams who had pretty much won all the trophys in history and he genuinely said to me - have Everton ever won anything then ?
Oh dear !!! Cue my history lesson !
I hope we can start winning things soon as we could eventually be likened to teams like Preston !
Steve Brown
16 Posted 08/03/2015 at 07:31:23
Sam keep the faith mate, we left Merseyside when my eldest boy was five years old and my youngest not even one. In Yorkshire they were surrounded by Shite and Manc fans, then even in Jakarta and Singapore there are still bloody loads of them. Despite that my lads are fanatical and proud blues.

On an aside, my son met Paul Parker last night who is working as a pundit out here and asked him his views on Everton. Summary was 1) we have to remain positive and keep true to how we play 2) he would be devastated if we went down but it wont happen 3) on the other hand if the shite went down he would be delighted 4) because they are always bitter, aggresive and have a chip on their shoulders. A good judge of the RS at least!

John Keating
17 Posted 08/03/2015 at 07:54:10
Sam, I really admire you and all the supporters who live elsewhere in the UK or overseas. Being born and brought up in Everton itÂ’s quite "easy" for me to accept supporting the Blues as normal because thereÂ’s loads of us, however, really shit when we lose!

You guys and the overseas lads deserve all the praise going. You really are TRUE supporters. So many supporters outside the City have not had the fortune to go to Goodison but know as much, if not more, than the locals!

To support the Club when you are vastly outnumbered by the fair weather supporters of the "in" teams is incredible! Never forget you are one of the "chosen few" it doesnÂ’t matter what happens you will always be one of us!

Dave Richman
18 Posted 08/03/2015 at 08:11:50
Nice piece, and sums up what it's like supporting the Blues away from Merseyside. We have a thriving community here in Johannesburg (and there's also a strong supporters club in Cape Town), and it is almost exclusively passed down from generation to generation. My kids are both fervent Blues, and Ernie's post applies to mine .... the school battles, baffling kopites with the use of facts etc etc. One excellent example of our local kopites, and I saw this with my own eyes one day, was when we went to watch a derby at a pub a few years back, and unbeknownst to us, the RS supporters club was meeting at the same pub..... Anyway, we stayed and were gobsmacked when they started handing out pieces of paper with the words to THAT song ...... incredible, and typical.

Anyway, one source of great pride for me is that there is a tiny village in Zimbabwe, about an hour's drive from Harare which is an enclave of Evertonians..... This came about after I started giving my old Everton shirts to the Zimbabwean guy from whom I buy a certain .... erm .... organic product. He sends everything back to the village, and he showed me a photo a while back of their football team .... all wearing (different) Everton shirts, and the team is called (naturally) Everton Zimbabwe..... Regardless of form, we never stop spreading the word..... If only the players in our squad has anything like the passion of our fans we would be unstoppable.

James Power
19 Posted 08/03/2015 at 08:22:03
Sam, I really enjoyed your article. It is very well written and like many on here, I sympathise with your plight. I am from the Wirral, however my old house was just over 3 miles from Goodison park (thanks to the tunnel) and my old man was born just off Scotty Road in the 1930's. His dad was a blue, as he is, as is my son. However, one can't accuse others of ignorance and then refer to sheep and Tranmere in the same sentence (although lighthearted I accept) Birkenhead is anything but green!

Anyway, I moved south in the 1990s (lived all over London and now just outside Tunbridge Wells) and have experienced much of that prejudice and foolishness. Some think the Wirral is near Newcastle. Many are surprised to hear how successful Everton are. However, there are quite a few blues around, they just aren't as conspicuous as the glory hunters. I work on the trading floor in Lloyds of London - one of the most traditional establishments in the City and am proud to know quite a few Bluenoses.

Those that know their football give you quite a bit of respect and there seems to be a fondness for Everton that just isn't there for Liverpool. It is also hilarious to hear some 'Reds' from various minor Public Schools referring to Liverpool as 'us' and dropping by for Derby banter when I know I've been to Anfield more times than they will ever go (and many have never been at all).

Keep the faith – it's more rewarding being blue even if it doesn't always feel that way and keep writing, you are good at it!

Dave Abrahams
20 Posted 08/03/2015 at 08:43:53
Sam, I always get Liverpudlians biting like sharks, want to bet me all the money in the world, when I tell them Everton have scored more goals in ONE game at Anfield than Liverpool have ever scored in one game at GoodisonPark.

I'm going out for a couple of hours now, I'll give you the answer when I get back, I bet a lot of Evertonians are thinking about this now.

It's a trick question but it's genuine and most definitely happened.

Dave Abrahams
21 Posted 08/03/2015 at 08:58:25
ps It happened in the late 1950's.
Graham Mockford
22 Posted 08/03/2015 at 09:04:31
Sam,

Your circumstances resonate with me. Although born and bred in Liverpool myself, all my three children born respectively in Sheffield, Cambridge and Salford are true Evertonians. They too were the only Everonians in their school but your dad obviously fulfilled his duties and brought you up the right way.

Some people can be a little sniffy on here about supporters who don't live in Liverpool, probably because we give that lot so much stick for their Norwegian connections.

For me though becoming an Evertonian when living somewhere else given the number of options and the Sky obsession with the big sides is a hard thing to do and you deserve credit for sticking it out. Now like the rest of us there is no escape.

It might not seem so at the minute but there are plenty of good times ahead supporting the boys in blue.

Dave Abrahams
23 Posted 08/03/2015 at 11:49:46
Sam,Everton beat Tranmere Rovers in a Liverpool senior cup final at Anfield EIGHT - FIve.

People say, after I've told them the answer, That doesn't count, but it is still a fact Everton did score EIGHT and they wanted to bet when they heard the Question.

Andrew James
24 Posted 08/03/2015 at 14:35:31
@Dave

Ok then, like your thinking, what about the true fact that there have been seasons where we have scored more at Anfield than Liverpool have at home all season?

Martin Mason
25 Posted 08/03/2015 at 14:33:16
It's hard Sam but you must stick with it. I'm a life long Evertonian but we moved South in the mid 90's and I've worked abroad since. My 2 lads are ronk Evertonians perhaps even worse than those from the City given that we can so rarely get to games. Because we have such magnificent away support we can rarely get tickets when we play down south. We can never match away support for the two RS's but that was all based on following the winning sides. We rarely have that problem.

I'm thinking of retiring soon and having a drive up for home games, I live in Horsham so let me know if you're interested in coming.

Oliver Moore
26 Posted 08/03/2015 at 14:57:35
Good read, mate. I moved to Bournemouth for university 3 years ago and I can testify with everything youÂ’ve mentioned. One of my favorite repeated sentiments from the Southern RS is how they genuinely fancy themselves to sign the very best players in the world. Recent examples:

"WeÂ’ll sign Cavani from PSG in the summer and weÂ’ll be up there."
"WeÂ’ll replace Gerrard with Pjanic from Roma when he retires."

Another thing that sums them up was their expectation to stroll back in to the Champions League like theyÂ’d been there for the previous 5 years, very few, if any, of the Southern kopites realised the importance of recent experience in European competitions.

Keerthi Vasishta
27 Posted 08/03/2015 at 15:30:55

Everton have simply been one of the most amazing things in my life. I am one more of the rare breed of non-Scouse and non-English Evertonians. The reason for loving this beautiful club was the sheer passion that was exuded every time I watched them play. Most people around me here in India support Liverpool (loads of them, believe me), Arsenal, Man Utd and even Spurs, but I somehow didn't find a connection.

I remember my first introduction to professional Football Leagues was on TV and then on one of the early editions of FIFA, the computer game. Being new to the world of football (I was around 9 or 10) I picked one of the teams I knew about: Manchester United and was drawn against Everton. After the game, I decided to play as Everton and so began my love affair.

After that I would gobble most information I could gather about the club. My favourite player was Thomas Graveson because he was the easiest to recognize because of the bald head the first Everton game I saw.

However over the years the exposure to Everton increased and I always had a passion for the Toffees; the more games I saw, the more I fell in love with the club. As I said earlier, the day I declared myself a Toffee, I had loads of slags and even more laughs but the conviction and the pure desire of the club to the game gives me great pride that I support the real club of dreams – Everton. The Glory days are not far behind and are not too far ahead; tough times will come and go but all I can say is Everton Till I Die!

COYB!!!
Colin Gee
28 Posted 08/03/2015 at 15:25:12
Sam,
Anyone can choose to support any team , but you were chosen by Everton. That's the difference.

If you want to wind up all those plazzy RS fans, just ask them who was their Manager before Bill Shankly, I guarantee not one of them will be able to tell you. It was Phil Taylor be the way.

Plus don't forget if we hadn't won the league in 1890/1891 and moved out of Anfield after the Landlord trying to rip us off by increasing the rent, then they would have never existed. In a way I am glad we did move out, imagine having that lot as fans of Everton! Plus they even tried to pinch our name, they wanted to be called Everton Athletic but the FA said no.

Colin Williams
29 Posted 08/03/2015 at 15:41:14
Keerthi... Great read, mate. Simply the greatest club in the world!!
John Daley
30 Posted 08/03/2015 at 15:50:23
"..the day I declared myself a Toffee, I had loads of slags"

Well, Blues have always had better luck with the ladies. Not hard when most of the red shite competition resemble the bloke from Robocop who got his face melted by toxic waste though, is it?

There's a guy I always see walking the streets around where I live who looks like something out of Lord of the Rings crossed with Terry from Brookside. About 4ft-8in, fat as fuck, bit of a limp and is constantly decked out in a minty Crown Paints Liverpool trackie worn under a clear plastic mac like the one Patrick Bateman put on just before he battered Paul Allen with a big axe.

Never, ever, gonna get his hole that lad.

Peter Laing
31 Posted 08/03/2015 at 16:15:06
Martin I'm looking at relocating to Horsham, just been offered a job at City Place close to Gatwick. If the offer is right from the company financially I will hopefully be heading down to Sussex over the summer. What's it like for young blues in that neck of the woods, my two boys are fanatical Evertonians and also good junior players. I will be on the look out for a couple of local teams for them to join and a good boozer to catch the blues playing ?
Dave Abrahams
32 Posted 08/03/2015 at 16:32:35
Andrew James (24) go head give us the answer. I've been out just noticed your question.
Dave Abrahams
33 Posted 08/03/2015 at 16:48:15
Andrew do you mean when we played at Anfield?
Andrew James
34 Posted 08/03/2015 at 20:28:28
Dave I thought you'd get that. Bet most of the adorable RS down here wouldn't get that one. On that subject, did we or they have to switch grounds in or around the wars?

Plus here is a question for everyone...I was watching an old 1970's Everton match recently and you have that archway behind the goals. I believe it was there when Eusebio played as well. But my early memories of Goodison don't register it. When was it removed because that must have been a bit of work? Anyone recall?

Brin Williams
35 Posted 08/03/2015 at 20:43:05
Hey Sam, Why have you got it in for sheep?
Patrick Murphy
36 Posted 08/03/2015 at 20:44:37
Andrew (#34) It must have disappeared around 1978, I’m struggling to remember if it was a feature in Latchford’s 30-goal season.
Jeff Armstrong
37 Posted 08/03/2015 at 20:49:44
Arches where put in for 1966 World Cup, removed when fences went up around 1978.
Brin Williams
38 Posted 08/03/2015 at 20:44:36
Sam, Stop wasting yourt time and breath and start to enjoy being an Evertonian.

I learnt that many years ago, working in London, I was constantly bombarded with abuse and ridicule and there was often mention of those sheep you talk about. But, being a Welshman I learnt to ignore those taunts and became a better Welshman.

Perhaps in time you will become a better Evertonian when you learn to ignore those ignorant bastards.

Nil Satis - Cymru am Byth.

Andrew James
39 Posted 08/03/2015 at 20:51:35
Patrick, makes sense, definitely saw it on the old Match of the 70's when Latchford and McKenzie etc were in full flow. I've never seen footage of Lee's team or early Kendall but it was definitely gone by '84.
Dave Abrahams
40 Posted 08/03/2015 at 20:47:34
Andrew (34) the arches were put in place after an incident during an Everton versus Spurs match when a dart was thrown at Bill Brown the Spurs goalkeeper, not long before the World Cup.

Everton were fined and decided to put the arches in so the fans were much further back. Neither club had to switch grounds during the war, but Man Utd played a home cup tie at Goodison because their ground at Old Trafford was bombed during the war, they played Liverpool and beat them 3-0.

Everton used Anfield a couple of times when they were getting the underground heating installed, one match was the game against Tranmere which I referred to above; another game was a reserves match against Huddersfield Town which I think they won 3-1. They also played a reserve game against Wolves at Earle's ground; they were an Amateur team at the time.

Brent Stephens
41 Posted 08/03/2015 at 21:06:25
Dave, I remember the dart affair. Wasn't there a photo of the dart sticking out of some guy's head?
Dave Abrahams
42 Posted 08/03/2015 at 21:07:52
Couldn't vouch for that Brent, I'd say the dart struck the Spurs goalkeeper rather than stuck into him but maybe your version is correct.
Brent Stephens
43 Posted 08/03/2015 at 21:15:01
Yeh, maybe it was the keeper, Dave.
Paul Smith
44 Posted 08/03/2015 at 21:13:05
John Daley, I loved that acid guy seen in Robocop. When he gets hit by the car and his head comes off, kept rewinding it for ages – absolute class!.

There's loads of people down here in Portsmouth decked out in quilted and grime covered, Kenny Dogleash Crown Paint jackets. You can spot em' a mile away, rushing to get their scratch cards at 8am.

Nice to have you on board Sam. Supporting Everton is definitely a labour of love at times.

Patrick Murphy
45 Posted 08/03/2015 at 21:08:56
I was surprised when I read on the Independent Everton Research Data site that following the game with Manchester City at Maine Road in 1956 the train bringing home the Everton fans was vandalised, I thought all of that nonsense didn’t start until the 1960s.

Also read how the manager Cliff Britton had offered his resignation just a couple of weeks before that sixth round tie with Man City, due to the Board trying to bring in a general manager for the summer tour of the USA.

Typical Everton on the verge of getting to a Cup Final and doing reasonably well in the league and they self-implode. Mind you Dave Hickson had already been sold. Man City went on to win the FA Cup and Bert Trautman who had had a stormer against Everton managed to play on injured and won a Cup Winners medal.

Andrew James
46 Posted 08/03/2015 at 21:35:54
Dave - you are a fountain of knowledge. There was me thinking it was for TV reasons for the World Cup or so players could run behind the goal after scoring like they do on the continent...

Now if could someone could kindly explain to me why we got rid of Billy Bingham and brought in his replacement, why we sold Bob Latchford and who Terry Darracot was, you might help fill the gaps before I was born...

Paul Jeronovich
48 Posted 08/03/2015 at 22:02:24
When you're sat in that big old ground, fans in full voice and the sound of Z-Cars ringing out m after all these years, it still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I love being a blue. (And even watching crab football won't stop that!!)
Justin Packett
49 Posted 08/03/2015 at 22:38:14
When me and my daughter have our Everton shirts on we generally get a lot of comments from fellow Blues in the South. Only yesterday I got a comment when walking round Fleet pond!!
Dave Abrahams
50 Posted 09/03/2015 at 11:29:49
Andrew, Harry Catterick decided to replace Billy Bingham with Alex Scott during the 1962-63 season, he thought Scott would provide more pace and more goals, which he did, and we won the First Division title that year.

The story of how we signed Scott is worth a mention, Spurs had virtually signed Scott and a lot of us Blues had given up on us getting him. One night, I went to bed thinking Spurs had signed him; when I woke next morning there it was in the papers, Catterick had sneaked in and talked Alex Scott to sign for us.

That's the way Harry Catterick worked, did the same with Alan Ball, almost snatched him out of Don Revie's hands at Leeds.

Terry Darracott was a local born lad, made his debut against Arsenal (I think) and gave good service to the Blues, solid rather than spectacular, a bit like Mick Lyons, a player who would never let you down.

Billy Bingham was a very good player, but I think Catterick thought his best days were behind him, Catterick never made many mistakes but Bobby Collins and Alan Ball were two massive ones, let them go too early.

Dave Abrahams
51 Posted 09/03/2015 at 11:51:06
Patrick, I wish you could have seen Everton's first half performance that day – absolutely brilliant. Bert Trautman had had the flu all week, got out of his sick bed and played a stormer for them; we slaughtered them, should have scored five or six only for the brilliance of Trautman, wish he had stayed in bed. They scored an equaliser and their crowd got behind them and they won 2-1.

But that first half performance by the Blues has always stayed with me, wonderful, but not enough.

Patrick Murphy
52 Posted 09/03/2015 at 12:04:09
Dave - I also read that a few weeks earlier, Everton had played Tottenham off the park at White Hart Lane and the press were likening our football to the great Hungarian national team, but I think we only managed a 1-1 draw when the performance merited a great deal more.
Dave Abrahams
53 Posted 09/03/2015 at 12:28:54
Patrick, that's correct and the team was mainly the same as the one that had won promotion a couple of years earlier. I think Jimmy and Brian Harris played that day, Jimmy scored the goal that if I'm not mistaken, they hadn't played in the Second Division.

Interestingly you mentioned that Cliff Britton the manager had offered to resign not long before that match, that's true because the whole team had signed a petition asking him to stay in the job, including one player, rumoured to be Wally Fielding, who never got on with the manager. Everton got beat the following Wednesday 3-0 at Maine Road in a league match, again if my memory is correct.

Martin O'Sullivan
54 Posted 09/03/2015 at 22:53:25
Love the post!! I can totally understand what he's on about as I was born and bread in Surrey and I too had the same old rubbish he grew up with.

I was the only Everton fan in my school surrounded by RS glory hunters. All my family are Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham. But I get great satisfaction in being a fan who regularly makes the trip up to my club and taking my son who too is a blue. He's got 3 blues in his school and he too has the same old rubbish I had but now it's all Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City glory hunters down here.

Also, to me it confirms we are born and not manufactured!! COYB!!!!