Everton reprieve fans involved in Bournemouth pitch incursion

05/12/2015  10 Comments  [Jump to last]
The club have, for the time being, decided not to serve three supporters with stadium bans for their involvement in the pitch-invasion incident at Vitality Stadium last weekend.

The fans were arrested after a cluster of jubilant Evertonians spilled onto the playing surface following Ross Barkley's goal in the fifth minute of stoppage time of the 3-3 draw, a strike that restored the Blues' lead on the day and looked to have secured three precious points.

Bournemouth equalised shortly after the spectators had been returned to the stands and referee Kevin Friend had resumed the match but the ramifications of the events surrounding the celebration of Everton's third goal looked to have been further reaching when three fans were sent letters by the Blues' head of security, Dave Lewis.

They were advised that they faced being banned from Goodison Park for the remainder of the season but the club have since relented after speaking with the supporters concerned. They explained that a surge from behind when Barkley's goal went in forced them onto the pitch.

A statement from Everton announcing their about face said: “While we would emphasise to supporters that coming on the pitch is a criminal offence and may result in a football banning order, we have also listened to fans to understand the circumstances around this particular incident.

“As a club, we have to demonstrate to the FA what we have done to prevent these kinds of occurrences and what we will do to prevent them from happening again.

“In this instance, we have spoken to some of those arrested and, having reviewed the circumstances, the fans in question will be allowed to come to the game on Monday night and we will further review the situation going forward.”  


Reader Comments (10)

Note: the following content is not moderated or vetted by the site owners at the time of submission. Comments are the responsibility of the poster. Disclaimer


Derek Thomas
1 Posted 05/12/2015 at 06:41:12
Fair play by the Club: The 'Unlucky' 3 fans, out of how many who were actually on the pitch, can count themselves as 'Lucky' the Club bought their excuse of a 'surge'...in an all seated section, that 'pushed' them over the seats and then, presumably, a wall, onto the pitch...Really?? Must've been a very high tide on the south coast that afternoon.

Christmas came early for them.

File it under 'least said, soonest mended'

Patrick Carty
2 Posted 05/12/2015 at 08:13:33
The club acted in a sensible way here. It would've been very very harsh to ban these fans for life.

I was having a pint with my father at the time Barkley's goal went in and I knocked over our two pints and the table.

I also would have thought that barring me for life would've been harsh.

Dave Abrahams
5 Posted 05/12/2015 at 10:32:41
Derek, I could give you a good argument about that affair and what Everton have decided, but, as you say, least said soonest mended.
Harold Matthews
6 Posted 05/12/2015 at 10:36:07
I hope St Helens rugby scouts spotted the lad who brought Barkley down. Best tackle of the day.
Peter Bell
7 Posted 05/12/2015 at 10:52:17
FFS Everton, give them lads something to shout about instead of banning them. They've showed more passion than some of the players sometimes.
Rob Halligan
8 Posted 05/12/2015 at 11:31:36
Derek, I take it you weren't there, mate.

The only way out of that ground was the walkway at the very front of the stand to the exits, one by the corner flag and one by the fence segregating the fans. Loads of Everton fans were walking down the terracing making their way out when Barkley scored. So naturally there was a surge from further back, making those at the front vulnerable to possible injury. The wall was only about 2-3 feet high, so easy to jump.

I'm not condoning their actions, as I suppose the fans could have stayed on the track round the pitch rather than actually going on the pitch. But hey, when you score a "winning goal" in the fifth minute of added on time, I guess your emotions get the better of you!!

Steve Carse
9 Posted 05/12/2015 at 12:07:19
Correct Rob. My nephew was one who was exiting but basically got pushed over the wall by the surge. Didn't I read somewhere that fans have been on the pitch in 5 of Bournemouth's 7 home games this season?
John Keating
10 Posted 05/12/2015 at 12:20:47
Don't know about the fans not being on the pitch but – the way we played 2nd half – then half the players shouldn't have been allowed on.
Tony Stanley
11 Posted 05/12/2015 at 21:16:22
That was the correct decision from the club.
Anto Byrne
13 Posted 09/12/2015 at 01:37:44
The club should put out a statement thanking the travelling support with a reminder that as Evertonians we also have a code of behaviour that we stand by, and supporters should refrain from actions that may tarnish our reputation as the best traveling supporters in the country.

Add Your Comments

In order to post a comment, you need to be logged in as a registered user of the site.

» Log in now

Or Sign up as a ToffeeWeb Member — it's free, takes just a few minutes and will allow you to post your comments on articles and Talking Points submissions across the site.


About these ads

© ToffeeWeb