Who was the best player signed from a relegated club?

by   |   18/05/2019  18 Comments  [Jump to last]

Scarred as I still am from having watched the entire spine of Wigan's relegated team play for us (and yes, I did try to support them whilst the four were with us.... well, maybe apart from "The Rock" Alcatraz) and looking at the TW "Rumour" column currently featuring the likes of Lössl and Mitrovic, I just wonder if anyone can remember a signing from a relegated club who, within a season or two, was a regular selection for a top six club such as we (allegedly) still aspire to be?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (18)

Si Cooper
1 Posted 18/05/2019 at 01:45:24
Does the fact that PSG and similar are keen on Gana count?
Andrew Yates
2 Posted 18/05/2019 at 03:30:10
Antonio Valencia at United? I don't know its late I should be asleep!
Darren Hind
3 Posted 18/05/2019 at 06:40:25
I thought when I read this that it was the usual type of offering from Don.

I did a quick check through our current team starting from the Goalie. After five seconds I realised Zouma Keane and Gana had all be relegated in recent seasons and immediately chastised myself for giving it any thought at all.

What have those fucking Romans ever done for us ?

Chris Leyland
4 Posted 18/05/2019 at 07:04:57
Andy Robertson from the dark side?
Bill Gienapp
5 Posted 18/05/2019 at 08:11:59
Robertson, Shaqiri and Wijnaldum were all signed by the RS from relegated clubs. Spurs signed Sissoko (at our expense, ironically). Robertson's the only clear-cut starter, but all of them contribute at least.
Ajay Gopal
6 Posted 18/05/2019 at 08:56:50
Pickford, Gueye, Jags (?)

Don, to be fair to Martinez, of the 4 that he signed from Wigan - McCarthy, Robles, Kone and Alcaraz - McCarthy was very good in his 1st season and then was blighted by injuries, Kone suffered a serious injury as soon as he started playing for us, one from which he never recovered (and that probably forced Martinez' hand to sign Lukaku, which turned out great for us), Robles was quite good whenever he stood in for Howard (although strictly he was signed from Athletico Madrid, I believe). Alcaraz was the only real bad signing, no question, he just could not adapt to the Premier League.

Ajay Gopal
7 Posted 18/05/2019 at 09:07:42
I reread your post, Don, and I had misunderstood your question, apologies. Anyway, the year after we signed the 'Fab 4' from Wigan, we finished in the Top 6! :-)
I believe after we signed Jags from relegated Sheffield United, we used to regularly be in the Top 7 under Moyes, only at that time it was the Top 4.
Rob Dolby
8 Posted 18/05/2019 at 11:31:57
Out if the current relegated teams I would take. Mooy from Huddersfield and Sessengion from Fulham.

I am not sure there is as much stigma attached to relegation with a player compared to a manager. Saying that it hasn't stopped us appointing Roberto or Marco.

Don Alexander
9 Posted 18/05/2019 at 11:40:10
I was merely interested in identifying any top player signed from a club just relegated from the Premier League, so thanks to those above for identifying just a few. Frankly I'm not won over by those seemingly in this market right now. Is it out of the question to maybe sign a player/s from the Championship, someone with genuine hunger to succeed in a successful top six team? And no, I don't have the insight to discern such players myself.
Tony Abrahams
10 Posted 18/05/2019 at 12:16:15
Doesn’t matter where a player has come from, as long as he can be moulded into the team to make it better.

Everton are getting mentioned with loads of players, but I’m sure there will be a few signings that surprise us, just like it will be a surprise/miracle, if we can off-load all the players that we don’t want or need?

Agree about hungry footballers, because that’s what we need the most. Especially if they are leaders and they can help the crowd and the team, to feed off each other, because Everton don’t lose many games of football, when the crowd gets right behind the team.

Tony Abrahams
11 Posted 18/05/2019 at 12:19:16
Just reading that Ziyech, has got a £25 million release clause in his contract, and was thinking what an improvement he would be on Lookman, because he looks to possess all the things I have just mentioned in the post above.
Mike Gaynes
12 Posted 18/05/2019 at 16:31:38
Tony #11, I advocated for Ziyech over Klaassen when we signed him.

Unfortunately Ziyech has only gotten better. 16 goals and 17 assists in the league this season -- that's extraordinary. I say unfortunately because now we'd have to outbid Arsenal and Bayern to get him.

He'd put Bernard on the bench in about three seconds.

Tony Abrahams
13 Posted 18/05/2019 at 19:58:06
Only seen him play in a couple of games Mike, but the kid looked brilliant in both of them.

Skill, speed, heart and desire, I think Ajax, will be sick if they only receive £25 Million for a player of this calibre, which will obviously interest some of the biggest teams in Europe I’m sure?

Mike Allison
14 Posted 18/05/2019 at 21:19:49
I’m fairly sure this is true...

In the 90s Neil Redfearn got promoted to the Premier League with Barnsley and was promptly relegated. Then he was signed by Charlton as they came up and got relegated. Then he was signed by Bradford as they can up and got relegated.

Idrissa Gana Gueye was an excellent signing, but I don’t remember many relegated players moving to top 6 clubs at all. Ryan Sessegnon is likely to do it this season, so we’ll see.

Brian Wilkinson
15 Posted 19/05/2019 at 12:53:18
How about Scott Parker, Roy Keane, Joe Cole.
Clive Rogers
16 Posted 20/05/2019 at 05:35:40
It could have been Frank Worthington when Huddersfield were relegated in 1972 and Liverpool were going to sign him, but he failed the medical due to having a STD.
Ste Traverse
17 Posted 22/05/2019 at 13:12:21
We signed Pat Nevin in the summer of 88 just months after he got relegated with Chelsea.
Tony Abrahams
18 Posted 23/05/2019 at 21:54:58
Got really stung for Nevin, off the tribunal if my memory is correct, Ste?