Reader Comments (17)

Mike Gaynes
1 Posted 03/12/2020 at 23:59:05
Lovely article, Brian, a love letter from a father to a daughter through the game that now (finally!!) fully embraces women and through the club we all love.

At least that's what you should tell Child Protective Services when they file on you for submerging Alba in Everton.

Lovely name, by the way... Alba... although it does appear to restrict her future football career to the left back position.

This was a great read. Please share Alba's youth soccer debut with us about five years hence.

Dennis Stevens
2 Posted 04/12/2020 at 00:57:15
Just be thankful if she doesn't turn to the dark side when she reaches her rebellious teens!
Alan J Thompson
3 Posted 04/12/2020 at 09:24:58
Should have called her Jimmy or Jaimie, my oath!
Ray Roche
4 Posted 04/12/2020 at 11:11:17
Enjoyable read, Brian. Great to see our supporters around the globe and hearing how they came to support Everton.👍🏻
Jerome Shields
5 Posted 04/12/2020 at 11:23:01
My own daughter, who knows nothing of the game at 25, will always say when asked, "Who do you support?" I say "Everton. "

She never would wear anything I bought her, whether Everton or not. Even with her own clothes, she would head the other way from my selection even before she could speak. When she could speak, she just said "Yuck!" Now, she just has a look.

She does check the results as a barometer of my mood, as does my wife.

Brian Murray
6 Posted 04/12/2020 at 12:34:11
My kids had absolutely no say in the matter, named 'em Dean Lee Dunc and Brian Roy after our two great captains. Missed a trick with my daughter because I never thought of Eva Toni Anne. She escaped. Just.

Me personally I really envied my older bro who was mascot mainstay in early 60s. Vernon loved him and we have many photos of him as part of the lap of honour vs Fulham in 1963 and in the dressing room afterwards. You see, it's our destiny (unfortunately).

Nicholas Ryan
7 Posted 04/12/2020 at 14:03:41
Wow, just Wow!
Dave Abrahams
8 Posted 04/12/2020 at 14:42:03
Great story, I hope your daughter makes your dreams come true and becomes one of us, best of luck with that.

Brian (6), I knew a fella, an old fella who drank in The Everton Red Triangle, he called his granddaughter Eva Toni Anne. There was an article in The Daily Post about him by the late David Charters, who sadly died this year.

Peter Gorman
9 Posted 04/12/2020 at 14:54:51
Great story, Brian, and if I'm not mistaken, I know one or two in your picture at the bar.

Up to 2012, Everton Ladies were one of the best sides in their game under their manager Mo Marley but she left due to work commitments with the English national side.

Not long after, the likes of Man City and Liverpool threw money at their teams and we lost all the best players. It seems like we're on a revival under this Willie Kirk chap so hopefully we'll still be a team for your daughter to aspire to when the time is right.

Phil (Kelsall) Roberts
10 Posted 04/12/2020 at 15:13:20
Brian,

Love the Romans chapter 8 quotation.

There is also Romans 5:3-4 which could have been written for Evertonians.
Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

I hope in a few years she will realise how special she is and what a wonderful father she has.

Brian Murray
11 Posted 04/12/2020 at 15:26:59
Re women's team, I'm sure Kirk will steer the ship well and have them playing out of this world (tenuous pun intended). At least winning the recent derby shows a good mentality... you know the rest.
Barry Rathbone
12 Posted 04/12/2020 at 16:45:08
Me and my brother have 5 offspring and 6 grandchildren between us. Early doors we decided to keep the blue curse from enveloping the innocents.

So we left Liverpool.

My wagon pitched up on the Hereford & Worcester borders but he figured a place where English is barely recognised would be better somewhere near the edges of civilisation so the pernicious effects of media could not sully their senses. He bought a house on the Wirral.

It made no odds – they all support Everton, forever muttering some incantation about "being chosen". The plain fact is there is an unnatural force defying reason about being an Evertonian: if the royal blue penetrates the eyes to the soul, beautiful children are captured – no matter what we do.

Gerry Morrison
13 Posted 04/12/2020 at 16:52:43
Brian. My daughter was born in California and is a mad Evertonian. Last season, she attended more games at Goodison than I did. Admittedly, she stays with her grandmother in Bootle when she goes over; but I am sure we will be able to find somewhere for your girl to stay when she attends her first match.
Dale Self
14 Posted 04/12/2020 at 17:27:55
Simply beautiful, Brian, your are the current exemplar of beautiful people I expect to hear from on this site. I hope she does a reducer on a red youth team.
Danny O’Neill
15 Posted 06/12/2020 at 14:15:27
Fantastic story, Brian.

Of course she does and always will. Will all fall victim of the spell that is Everton.

For better or worse, in sickness and in health as the saying goes!

Brian Canever
16 Posted 06/12/2020 at 17:11:06
You lads are all wonderful. Thank you so much for the kind words. In fact, Alba just cried herself through her nap time because I believe she could instinctually feel the pain of a 1-1 draw followed by a 3-0 loss this morning for the women. Ha! Perhaps, I am nuts.
Paul Birmingham
17 Posted 06/12/2020 at 17:37:39
Great story, Brian, and being an Evertonian is from here to eternity!

Great to see our international Evertonian brother- and sisterhood growing.

All The Best.