Reader Comments (85)

Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
1 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:17:14
Richard, many thanks for posting this and my thoughts and condolences are very much with your dad, you and your family at this time. Dick has been a member of the ToffeeWeb community for longer than I can remember and it is very sad to be losing one of the "parish".

My sincere hope is that his last days are peaceful and as comfortable as they can be, surrounded by family. If it's possible, I'm sure I speak for the whole community when I say please let your dad know that we are thinking of him.

Brent Stephens
2 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:20:43
Richard, can I echo Lyndon's words. Posts like this bring you up short. Again, please let your dad know we're thinking of him.
Dale Self
3 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:28:53
I will be thinking of him often when I engage the many Toffees here who have gained from knowing him.
Kieran Kinsella
5 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:37:51
Rich

Best wishes to you and your whole family. Your Dad will be greatly missed

Ken Kneale
6 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:39:50
Richard - I like many have enjoyed your Dad's posts over the years and his love of Everton shone through at all times. Loves last gift is remembrance - I hope your many memories of Dick will help sustain you in the present and in times to come.
Danny O’Neill
7 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:45:27
Perspective of the highest order.

We exchange views on here that see us agree and sometimes disagree akin to boxers exchanging blows in the ring. What can't be denied is the one thing we all have in common. Our love for Everton and desire to see them win.

God bless. Dick's spirit will be ever present at Bramley Moore Dock just as it has been from afar at Goodison since 1970. Being an Evertonian is a lifelong birth right and passion no matter where we are on this planet or the next one.

Tony Abrahams
8 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:50:59
Over fifty years in Australia, but never far away from his beloved Everton, and no doubt helped by the great work Lyndon and Michael do for us. I hope your father's last days are pain free Richard, and I'm just glad he had the pleasure of seeing Everton win at Anfield again, to help take his mind away from his horrible illness.

ToffeeWeb consists of loads of names and very few faces, but it keeps us all informed even if it can sometimes be a little bit to addictive, and I'm glad it's helped your dad, constantly stay in touch with the blues, because it seems that Everton has played a massive part in his life.

Paul Birmingham
9 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:54:38
Richard, our thoughts and prayers are with you, and your Family, at this very difficult time.

Your Dads a fantastic ambassador for Everton FC, and he will be with us for eternity in the Blue Heaven.

Thomas Richards
10 Posted 03/04/2021 at 19:56:15
Terrible news. A great contributer to this site. Please let him know all our thoughts are with him.
Darren Hind
11 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:01:26
Desperately sad news, Richard.

Your dad is one of the reasons I got hooked on this site. I remember scouring the threads and coming across a dispute about an incident that happened in the car park at Blackpool FC in 1966.

Dick came on and settled it by giving us a first-hand account. He'd been yards from the incident. I thought "Wow!" This is some site. There won't be much that has happened at this club since the fifties that wasn't witnessed by a TW poster somewhere.

A much-respected poster whose knowledge and love for this club stands out a mile.

I wish him peace and the knowledge that he will be in many an Evertonian's thoughts tonight.

John McFarlane Snr
12 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:20:38
Hi Richard, I would like to add my sympathy to you and your family, it's at a time like this that brings the realisation that there are more important things in life than football, and my thoughts are with you at this sad time.
Tony Everan
13 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:24:51
Richard, Very best wishes to you, your dad and family. I lost my mum to the same disease a few years ago, I know how tough a time it is. Your family will have to look out for each other big time as some will take it harder than others. One of my brothers really struggled.

I lived in Australia myself for a year about 25 years ago, so I can relate to the radio listening at strange hours. The best memory for me was watching Everton beat Tottenham in the FA cup semifinal in a pub in Paddington Sydney, at about 8 am. It turned out to be a long day!

Lots of blue love to your dad (meant in the Everton blue sense!)

George McKane
14 Posted 03/04/2021 at 20:43:08
Difficult to say anything that can lift the heartache the family must be feeling right now. Dick was a tremendous contributor on TW - - a True Blue whose love for everything Everton was wonderful, obvious and resplendent - - I believe his spirit and soul will shine Blue forever. Truly Blue Cosmic Waves sent out for a lovely man and sprit.
Chris Williams
15 Posted 03/04/2021 at 21:17:53
God bless your father, and you and your family at what is the toughest time.

Mike Gaynes
16 Posted 03/04/2021 at 21:26:47
Richard, to the tributes here from the TW blues, I add my deepest personal condolences and those of my family for your impending loss. May your dad's passage be peaceful, gentle and without pain, and may your family find comfort in your cherished memories as we have cherished Dick's shared memories of this club's history.

Every life lost to the pestilence of cancer is one life too many. If you have a preferred cancer charity, I'd like to make a donation in honor of your dad.

Dave Abrahams
17 Posted 03/04/2021 at 21:31:43
Echoing the many lovely posts to you and your family, I hope your dad goes peacefully, God bless all your family at this very sad time for all of you,I'll light a candle and say a prayer for all of at mass in the morning, nothing is worse than losing someone you love.
Tom Fazal
18 Posted 03/04/2021 at 21:38:12
Richard,

Deepest sympathy to you and your family and hope that the messages from fellow Toffees will be of some comfort to you all. Dick's posts were always worth reading and he will be missed.

Best wishes to you all in this difficult time.

Andy Crooks
19 Posted 03/04/2021 at 21:41:57
Richard, your dad's has been a name I have looked for on this site for many years. Insightful, sharp and passionate. If I met someone on the street and was asked do you know Dick Fearon? I would have automatically said that I did. We have never met him but we all know him and wish Dick, you and all your family all the strength in the world.
Colin Glassar
20 Posted 03/04/2021 at 21:42:15
I remember reading some of your dad's posts. May he find eternal peace.
Christine Foster
21 Posted 03/04/2021 at 22:26:46
Being away from something you love makes that love grow stronger, Dick's passion for the Blues came through every post. Being down under makes being an Evertonian special, you are one of a few a long way from home but with a burning passion and pride. Short wave radio at 1am to live to BBC World Service (second half only) – I remember that in the Eighties!

Dick has some fabulous memories he has shared on here. I, like so many, are thankful for ToffeeWeb and its community. Without it, we would never have had the pleasure of meeting Dick, but grateful we are. Say thank you to your dad for all of us, we will see him at Bramley-Moore Dock, top of the steps, waiting... God bless you all. xx

Barry Rathbone
22 Posted 03/04/2021 at 22:42:37
God bless you and your family your dad was the epitome of a "chosen" blue his comments were that of a man who understood everything about what made this club great delivered with wonderful passion and no little humour.

The blue family he loved so dearly stand shoulder to shoulder with all of you in this saddest of times.

Good luck brother blue.

Si Cooper
23 Posted 03/04/2021 at 22:54:32
I can't say anything more or more eloquently than some others have already done. All I can add are my heartfelt condolences and hopes that the good memories sustain you all.
Santosh Benjamin
24 Posted 04/04/2021 at 01:17:18
Dear Richard,

This must be an extremely hard time for you and your family - seeing your father this way. I have read so many posts from your father on TW over the years and I feel like I know him. My prayers are with him - that he will not suffer and that he will find peace. My prayers are also with you all at this time - to help you cope with all that is happening. I am sure that he will always be watching his beloved Everton play every game in the future.

Kieran Kinsella
25 Posted 04/04/2021 at 02:23:22
I recall the post Darren is talking about. It pertained to the alleged assault on Harry Catterick. Dick Fearon was a first-hand witness and cleared up the incident on ToffeeWeb. True blue old-timer, God bless him.
Tony J Williams
26 Posted 04/04/2021 at 02:32:38
Devastatingly bad news.

I lost my mother-in-law to cancer on Christmas morning, horrible disease.

Best wishes to you and your family at this sad and difficult time.

Matt Traynor
27 Posted 04/04/2021 at 04:36:55
Richard, heartbreaking news. Your father is one of the stalwarts of this site and his memories, insight and wit will be missed, My thoughts to you and your family at this time.
Bill Watson
28 Posted 04/04/2021 at 06:15:01
Richard; devastating news and deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Dick's contributions were much valued and will be greatly missed. My thoughts are with you all at this sad time.

Alan J Thompson
29 Posted 04/04/2021 at 06:20:46
I'm so sorry to hear the news of your father, Richard.

As a survivor of this awful disease myself I get and am terribly upset by the news and seems even more so being just a couple of hours up the road from you and with a daughter in Australind.

My thoughts are with you and Dick.

Peter Mills
30 Posted 04/04/2021 at 08:22:25
Richard, thank you for letting us know about your Dad's current circumstances, desperately sad though they are.

I used to think I was a reasonably knowledgeable and dedicated Everton fan. Then I started to access this site and read posts from people far more insightful and experienced than myself, many of them watching or listening to matches at daft o'clock their time, all over the globe. Foremost amongst those has always been Dick.

I hope his final days in this stage of his existence are comfortable. Very best wishes to all your family.

Eddie Dunn
31 Posted 04/04/2021 at 08:57:59
Richard, I am very sad for you and your family. I have read your Dad's comments many times over the years and it will be strange not seeing his name on here.

As we get older we all meet death amongst family and friends, old and young. Endings are rarely as we would like them. I hope your old man goes out with dignity and without pain. Best wishes.

Danny Broderick
32 Posted 04/04/2021 at 08:59:38
Terrible news. May he rest in peace.
Peter Warren
33 Posted 04/04/2021 at 09:30:56
God bless and I hope he and your family are able to find some comfort.
Stephen Brown
34 Posted 04/04/2021 at 09:31:45
Sincere condolences to all your family, Richard! This is awful news and credit to you and your Dad for letting the TW community know! That must have been difficult.

Brian Harrison
35 Posted 04/04/2021 at 10:07:12
Richard,

Very sad news, and deepest condolences to you and your family.

Tony Hill
36 Posted 04/04/2021 at 10:23:30
Your dad's posts were always shrewd. May you all find peace.
Ajay Gopal
37 Posted 04/04/2021 at 10:55:02
This is very sad news, Richard. Your dad was well loved and respected on this site. Nothing much to add except to echo what others have said. May his passage be peaceful and filled with happy memories of his beloved Blues.
Derek Thomas
38 Posted 04/04/2021 at 10:55:34
Richard, my condolences to you and your family. Your Dad had his own pathway and views and stuck to his guns, but would always concede a well made fair point. He will be sadly missed.
Dennis Stevens
39 Posted 04/04/2021 at 10:57:58
I'm very saddened by this news. Dick has long been a greatly valued member of the ToffeeWeb community, & a unique contributor who will be much missed by all.

I hope his passing is as comfortable as possible & that you and your family derive a little solace & strength from the thoughts expressed here by Dick's fellow ToffeeWebbers.

Bill Griffiths
40 Posted 04/04/2021 at 11:50:49
You and your family have my deepest condolences Richard. God bless you all.
Martin Faulkner
41 Posted 04/04/2021 at 12:57:58
Deepest condolences to you and your family Richard, I lost my dad to this in 2016, 2 trips home from Oz in 3 months, once to see him and once to say goodbye.
I wish you all the strength in the world in the coming weeks
Frank McGregor
42 Posted 04/04/2021 at 13:47:23
Richard, Sorry to hear about your father although I did not know your father personally I do remember his posts on ToffeeWeb.

Hopefully he will receive comfort knowing people are praying and supporting him and his family during this trial.
Brendan McLaughlin
43 Posted 04/04/2021 at 21:42:11
Richard,

So very sorry to hear that... Dick's been posting on ToffeeWeb for as long as I can remember. Thinking of him/you tonight.

Dave Roberts
44 Posted 05/04/2021 at 10:53:07
Judging from the several TW conversations Dick and I have contributed to over the years, I think he and I are about the same age. It's such a small world now. We can speak to someone in real time from the other side of the world and feel saddened by their passing.

But take comfort from the fact that Dick will be your dad and an Evertonian forever.

Heartfelt condolences to you and the family.

Phil McKeown
45 Posted 05/04/2021 at 12:03:51
Dear Richard and family,

I have been just speaking to my best friend Andy Fearon here on Merseyside. He made me aware that his uncle was poorly in Australia and told me his name.

He also mentioned that he was a regular contributor on ToffeeWeb. Being a regular reader and sometimes contributor over the years, the penny dropped immediately.

The world truly is a small place and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your dad's passionate views on Everton.

Once Everton has touched you, nothing will be the same.

God bless and much love to your family.

Graham Lloyd
46 Posted 05/04/2021 at 12:44:46
Such sad news. Richard and family - I'm sending me and my lots heartfeat condolencies from our bit of Australia (NSW). I'm just so glad he got to witness in person the mersyside derby win and then the follow up one remotely (albeit 20 years on!).
David Pearl
47 Posted 05/04/2021 at 13:01:39
What awful news.

I enjoyed reading many a post from Dick here on ToffeeWeb. It has to be said that TW brings us blues together from all corners of the world.

May he pass peacefully with his loved ones by his side.

Dave Brierley
48 Posted 05/04/2021 at 13:16:27
Very sad to hear the news, Richard.

Deepest condolences to you and the family.

May he rest in peace.

Robert Tressell
49 Posted 05/04/2021 at 13:19:21
Deepest sympathy, Richard. Condolences to you and your family.
Stephen Vincent
50 Posted 05/04/2021 at 14:15:42
Dreadful news Richard. Your Dad's comments were always considered and to the point, his wealth of knowledge of all things Blue will be missed on this site.
Hope his last days are peaceful.
Dave Ganley
51 Posted 05/04/2021 at 14:44:17
My thoughts are with you Richard and your family.

It's always sad to hear this kind of news and Dick will be sadly missed on these pages.

Jamie Crowley
52 Posted 05/04/2021 at 14:44:25
Richard -

My best to you and your family in this difficult time. Such sad news.

Your father was a gem. I enjoyed his posts immensely. When I first started following and coming on TW (almost now 14-15 years ago), he was one of the posters whom I really looked forward to, and still do / always have.

Personally, I thank you for informing TW of your Father's condition. I've seen people stop posting for many a year, always wondering where they've gone. Although not a pleasant post to submit, please know there's some of us out here who greatly appreciate this type of information. It allows us to pass along condolences to friends and family whom are close to those we became fond of over the years on TW, and most importantly it allows us to shoot a couple of prayers upstairs to the Big Man.

Again, best to you and your family and friends during this difficult time. I'll say a prayer for your Dad's peaceful passing. God bless, and be strong. Your Dad will be missed.

Ian Burns
53 Posted 05/04/2021 at 14:47:18
Hi Richard, may I add my heartfelt sadness at this news. His posts will be missed and if your Dad had a pint in the Abbey in the late '60's, I would have been in there! We can only wish you all the very best at this most dreadful of times. As Lyndon said at the top, if possible, please let your Dad know we all on TW are thinking of him.
Rob Halligan
54 Posted 05/04/2021 at 14:55:12
Deepest condolences to you and all your family, Richard. From what you say, with him only having a few days left to live, tonight could be his final game, so let's all hope that Everton can provide him with a convincing win to take "upstairs" with him. When my dad died, we played Chelsea away the next day in the FA Cup replay which we won on penalties. Somebody upstairs was certainly looking out for me and my dad that day, so let's hope for the same today for you and your dad.
Ray Roche
55 Posted 05/04/2021 at 15:16:32
Thoughts and prayers with you and Dick's family Richard. Your Dad was a regular and respected contributor to ToffeeWeb. His participation will be missed by all.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

56 Posted 05/04/2021 at 16:09:50
Richard, may I add my own best wishes to your father and family at this time.

Based on the anecdote you shared - that Dick and your mother travelled back to the city and attended our last victory over that lot at our former home before this season's success - tell Dick he should have got back more often to bring us luck!

I am sure the care and love he will receive from you all will be of great comfort. Let him rest assured similar sentiments are sent to him from across the water from his extended family here on TW.

Len Hawkins
57 Posted 05/04/2021 at 16:17:11
This puts football into perspective you live breathe and fight for your team but in the Grand Scheme of things football is an irrelevance when faced with a scenario like this.

Condolences to you and your family at this very trying time and I hope the lads play out of their skins tonight to give your Dad some hope for the future of the club he obviously loved immensely.

Derek Knox
58 Posted 05/04/2021 at 16:30:24
Richard, so sad to hear about your true blue Dad who was a regular on here, and a very well respected one too, my thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time! As with the Royal Blue Family, even people you have never physically met, but known for years, it still feels like nearest and dearest. Let's hope they put on a show tonight !
Derek Moore
59 Posted 05/04/2021 at 19:53:08
Please stay strong Richard; you and your fathers family and friends are in my own families thoughts and prayers at this terrible time.

And if you have an opportunity to do so, please thank your father for I'm sure not only myself but everyone here for all his thoughtful, heartfelt, kind and well enjoyed interactions on here throughout the seasons. His voice, his authentic passion and his wisdom will be sorely missed. Take care.

Mike Dolan
60 Posted 05/04/2021 at 22:38:49
So sorry to hear about your Dad, Rich. He always had something worth reading in his posts and he will be missed. Glad he chose Bramley-Moore Dock as his resting place, his spirit will always be blue.
John Raftery
61 Posted 05/04/2021 at 23:37:37
This is desperately sad news, Richard. Most certainly we will all miss your Dad's contributions on this site. I hope his final days are peaceful and that he and your family can draw some comfort from knowing he is in our thoughts.
Julian Exshaw
62 Posted 05/04/2021 at 23:48:26
Dear Richard. My thoughts and prayers go to you and your family. His posts were always insightful and respectful. He will be missed.
Rick Tarleton
63 Posted 06/04/2021 at 13:29:02
Your dad's contributions were always cogent and perceptive and I can only hope that his end is as pain free as possible and my condolences to you and your family.
Gaute Lie
64 Posted 06/04/2021 at 23:48:12
Richard,

My deepest sympathy to Dick and you, and your family.

Best regards from a Norwegian fellow supporter.

David Midgley
65 Posted 07/04/2021 at 09:38:50

The Beautiful Game
followed by beautiful people.
Dave Williams
66 Posted 08/04/2021 at 19:24:49
Very sad news. My best wishes to him and his family.
Ray Roche
67 Posted 09/04/2021 at 17:10:16
Richard, can you please provide an update on your Dad's condition. I realise it's not going to be high on your agenda right now but we are all thinking of him.

I hope that he's aware of the prayers and thoughts that have been offered from his fellow ToffeeWebbers.

Dick Fearon
68 Posted 15/04/2021 at 01:21:54
I am sad to advise my father Dick Fearon passed away peacefully last Friday 9 April 2021 after a short battle with cancer. I was able to read to dad some of your replies posted to ToffeeWeb to my last post entry.

Dad had all his faculties up until the Wednesday before his passing and asked me to thank all his ToffeeWeb mates for the years of online banter.

Dad will be greatly missed by many people and I will keep copies of your kind replies to look back on in the time ahead.

Kind Regards
Richard Fearon

Ron Marr
69 Posted 15/04/2021 at 02:11:21
I'm sorry to hear the sad news. Deepest sympathy. Feel like I new your Dad from ToffeeWeb, even though I never met him. God bless.
Kieran Kinsella
70 Posted 15/04/2021 at 02:14:22
Richard

Best wishes, thoughts and prayers to all of your family

Mike Gaynes
71 Posted 15/04/2021 at 03:52:23
Richard, from my family to yours, our deepest condolences. May your dad rest well.
Darren Hind
72 Posted 15/04/2021 at 04:06:52
RIP Dick
Alan J Thompson
73 Posted 15/04/2021 at 04:08:34
Deepest Sympathies, Richard, there aren't the words.
RIP, Dick, if Everton ever let you.
Paul Ferry
74 Posted 15/04/2021 at 08:00:25
Memories of Dick will be a blessing for all of you Richard. The worst times are now when we mourn and bleed love. The best times are ahead when we think of what we have lost with smiles not tears and see him in those who has he has left. behind.

Ray Roche
75 Posted 15/04/2021 at 08:42:53
Condolences Richard, to you and your family. Your Dad's involvement with ToffeeWeb will be missed by all of us. RIP Dick.
Brendan McLaughlin
76 Posted 15/04/2021 at 09:01:41
Very sorry to hear that sad news...condolences Richard
Brent Stephens
77 Posted 15/04/2021 at 09:03:24
Condolences, Richard.
George McKane
78 Posted 15/04/2021 at 09:09:46
I can think of no better words than these - - within the last few days a close friend lost his daughter - - I mentioned it on a Radio show I was on and asked if words help anyone to grieve - - I mused that at least words may be a help in grieving - - and so I thought of these words from Walt Whitman for your Dad:
"When lilacs last in the dooryard bloom'd,
And the great star early droop'd in the western sky in the night,
I mourn'd, and yet shall mourn with ever-returning spring.
Ever-returning spring, trinity sure to me you bring,
Lilac blooming perennial and drooping star in the west,
And thought of him I love."
Blue Waves Of Love and endearment sent over Blue Skies to You and Yours from New Brighton.
Danny O’Neill
79 Posted 15/04/2021 at 09:23:44
Sincere condolences to you and your family Richard.
Tony Hill
80 Posted 15/04/2021 at 09:35:13
RIP
Ian Burns
81 Posted 15/04/2021 at 09:39:47
RIP Dick - you will be sadly missed. All the very best to you Richard, cherish the fond memories of your dad and the high regard in which he was held on TW.
Dave Abrahams
82 Posted 15/04/2021 at 09:43:03
Sincere condolences to you Richard and all your family on the sad loss of your dad.R.I.P.
David Greenwood
83 Posted 15/04/2021 at 09:46:23
Ah that's so sad. Deepest condolences.
Christine Foster
84 Posted 16/04/2021 at 03:50:02
Richard, so sad to hear of your Dads passing, as they say, it comes to us all, but your Dad loved to be part of this extended family and he added his views to this site to share with all of us who love Everton. My condolences to your family and a little prayer to carry him on his way into the Blue sky..
Jay Harris
85 Posted 16/04/2021 at 04:24:54
Richard,
I am so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. I really enjoyed his posts and will miss him as I'm sure will all of the ToffeeWeb community.

Most of us have never met but there is a real bond which I am sure your dad felt.

May he rest in peace and condolences to you and all the family.

Thomas Richards
86 Posted 16/04/2021 at 07:19:02
Sad news.
A great contributer to this site.
Condolences to all the family