Fixture list due out tomorrow!

Comments (15) jump to end

The new season's fixture list is being released tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it as always.

The opening game of the season is always interesting. As much as I enjoyed the Man Utd game last August, I would much prefer us to be on the Saturday itself.

We usually have a 'month of death' where we play three of the top five in quick succession. We have never had this as our opening set of fixtures and I'm hoping it's the same again. With a new manager and new style I would hope to see us get some of the perceived beatable teams up first. It will give us a chance to get used to a new style of play and get some confidence around it. Some positive results and a good start in general won't hurt either.

I'm also hoping to also get to see a few more games on TV this season. I think we played well enough last season to warrant the TV companies giving us a few more live games at the start of the season. Setanta gave us little or nothing last season and as I have their freeview channel on my cable subscription, I'm really hoping that this changes. Then again, Setanta almost went under a couple of years ago so I can see them mainly showing Man Utd and Liverpool games again, especially given the clubs' Irish connection and the associated viewing figures. My wife is happy enough for me to disappear the odd Sunday afternoon so I may start to take advantage this season if we are on Sky's Sunday billing.

In general I am always happy when the fixture list comes out. It makes the new season seem that little bit closer and I start to get a little bit excited about it.

Kieran Fitzgerald, Dublin     Posted 18/06/2013 at

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments back

Reader Comments

Patrick Murphy
567 Posted 18/06/2013 at 14:05:35
Rumours are circulating that we are at home to Swansea for the fist game of 2013-14 with the Goodison Derby taking place on the 31st August. Apparently the Dark Side on one of their official websites have them playing away to Hull first game then at home to Fulham and away to us for their first 3 games. There are snapshots of the website posted but obviously it could be a big wind-up.
Gavin Ramejkis
578 Posted 18/06/2013 at 15:12:35
Do you think with the 125th anniversary of the league and other leagues featuring matches of the founder members we will be drawn against Aston Villa? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22894378
Patrick Murphy
580 Posted 18/06/2013 at 15:27:13
Gavin according to rumours we will be at home to Swansea and our third game will be the Goodison derby. Grand Old Team have links but it may be bogus.
Paul Ferry
584 Posted 18/06/2013 at 15:38:01
Hull at The Old Lady will do for me.

Get a nice win under our belts.

Mike Allison
585 Posted 18/06/2013 at 15:33:05
I'd rather play big teams early. Newly promoted sides often start strongly then fade and we've been stung like that before. Man United last season was perfect and kick started our season, whereas we've lost to the likes of Watford on previous opening days.

Rather than struggling to 'settle in' we may benefit from a fearless honeymoon period where we take results off teams that we would struggle against by November when injuries, rotation and general squad depth kick in. Catching the best sides before their new signings settle in can be good as well, although sometimes new signings start well and then fade in a similar kind of honeymoon period.

In summation, I see early season as a bit of leveller, so overall I think we would benefit from early big games, rather than the smaller teams.

Mark Tanton
587 Posted 18/06/2013 at 15:54:57
Apart from a 2-1 win at Charlton under Walter Smith — I think we came from behind with a Ferguson penalty — I am really struggling to remember when we have started away from home. Home games against Watford, QPR, Man Utd, Wigan, Arsenal, Spurs all spring to mind. Much harder to recall starting on the road. Someone correct me?
Tony Hanlon
590 Posted 18/06/2013 at 16:05:38
Aston Villa, West Brom or Stoke (original members of the Football League).
Patrick Murphy
592 Posted 18/06/2013 at 16:09:23
Blackburn away 2010-11 we lost 0-1 and we were due to play Spurs but the riots put paid to that. Prior to that, we lost 2-1 at Arsenal in 03-04.
Chris Matheson
605 Posted 18/06/2013 at 16:57:32
I agree with Mike at 585. Newly promoted teams tend to come strong out of the traps; it's best to play them a little later in the season when the wind is out of their sails.

I don't like playing Liverpool so early and I wish we didn't always play them at home first (which issue I know has been done to death on other threads.) Assuming he is still there, would sewerez still be banned then?

I remember going to Forest away in 1992 or 1993, I think it was the first game of the season. I also think it was Mark Ward's debut but I can't remember the score, just remember it was a baking hot day and I was in shorts. That is all.

Jamie Barlow
613 Posted 18/06/2013 at 17:45:10
Chris, I believe Suarez has 6 games to miss yet.
Matt Traynor
616 Posted 18/06/2013 at 18:04:18
Mark #587, we should've started away at Spurs 2 seasons ago, but a bit of trouble down the Seven Sisters Road meant we had a quiet weekend, and started at home against QPR the following week.

Where we lost 0-1.

Lyndon Lloyd
628 Posted 18/06/2013 at 18:30:34
Here's a screenshot purportedly from Liverpool's official site showing the derby as being on 31 August - though it could, of course, have just been a placholder ahead of tomorrow's release.
Ross Edwards
634 Posted 18/06/2013 at 18:48:54
I hope that we have a nice easy opening, get 6 or 9 points on the board, instill some confidence so we can get behind Bobby and the lads.
Sean Patton
684 Posted 18/06/2013 at 20:21:16
Stoke (A) is my prediction
Tony Cheek
084 Posted 20/06/2013 at 16:03:47
Apparently, due to new rulings on broadcasting of live football in Europe, us "Norwegian Blues" are goiing to be hit hard. Every single Everton game was sent live last season, with up to 6 live games being shown simultaneously on saturdays at 3 pm.

For some reason they can now show only one live game on saturdays at that time. In short, that means all RS and United games kicking off at 3 pm saturday will get preference, if neither of them play then it will be Arsenal, City, Spurs, Chelsea and probably Villa that get the nod.

I will probably miss half of our games next season on the box, and apart from being really pissed off,I am just wondering if this effects the clubs television income?