Is Richarlison 'Everton'?

by   |   03/11/2019  61 Comments  [Jump to last]

After a game that failed to raise the pulses (until the sight of Andreé Gomes reeling in agony), one could be forgiven for thinking this game was another case of huffing and puffing, with no breath.

For me (and my father) watching in our local, our blood pressure was already pulsing throughout the game, at the sight of Richarlison, wincing in agony, like he'd broken his leg.

There is no doubt that Richalison offers an attacking threat. There is no doubt Richarlison is talented, and there is no doubt that I have walked away from a game, singing the song of the Brazilian, on several occasions.

However, the time has come for all of us to question, for all his productivity: is the constant diving worth it? Is Richarlison just a pain in the ass and is his petulance “Everton”?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (61)

Stan Schofield
1 Posted 03/11/2019 at 23:40:26
The 'culture' of Everton is great football plus fairness, despite our being mediocre for three decades. That culture does not sit well with the modern game with all the cheating and what looks like corruption at its core.

Diving is cheating, and is not the 'Everton way', the way we were brought up with watching the best Everton sides. In that sense, no, some of what Richarlison does is not Everton. Those aspects, of diving and other forms of cheating, practiced so readily by some other clubs, make football ugly and the opposite of the beautiful game. They make football no longer worth watching.

Andy Crooks
2 Posted 04/11/2019 at 00:08:11
I hope he is Everton because he is the only class player we have. A few years ago I made the "Corinthian", argument on a piece on here. I think that boat is gone. He is, sadly our diver.
David Pearl
3 Posted 04/11/2019 at 00:50:14
Well, that last one he did was pathetic and made me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. Fouled by the last man or not, and not as he dived, he could've stayed on his feet and tried to get a shot off. Even Tosun stopped because of it.

Drop him. Give Tosun a game. Might sound daft but this is something we should all get together about, the team, fans, manager.

We are also tainted with the fact that a fan made a racist gesture towards Son. Bang out of order. I want to see all-out passion and purpose next week. Not our players writhing around the fucking floor. (Sorry, Sir John Mc.)

Andy Mead
4 Posted 04/11/2019 at 05:06:17
I don't know who was commentating on Optus Sports here in Australia last night but what he said was spot on. The modern footballer has no respect for his fellow professionals and is constantly looking to get others red and yellow carded. He blamed Fifa for not stamping out this nonsense years ago.

Also said the penalty area should now be renamed the diving zone after the Spurs player threw himself in the air after Mina fell into him.

Also slated the Brighton penalty, saying that somebody standing on your foot does not make you jump 4 feet in the air. I wish everybody in the football community would get together and deal with this cheating once and for all.

Steve Ferns
5 Posted 04/11/2019 at 08:12:16
The last of the Corinthians hung up his boots in the 70s, Andy!

Richarlison is as bad as Zaha or any of the others. Imagine if we had signed Zaha. We'd be the most hated side in the league for the diving alone.

Jim Bennings
6 Posted 04/11/2019 at 08:34:28
I don't think Richarlison really does himself too many favours always walking around either with a face like a smacked arse, for a multi millionaire, what a grumpy young man he always looks.

He's got the ability to be a match-winning player and I said a while ago that he should be stepping up to be our Salah or Mane, sadly he doesn't actually stand up enough to step up.

He's got the ability but he's so so inconsistent and I think he's going to be the kind of love-hate figure in the end that Lukaku eventually was, if he carries on in this manner anyway.

Shane Corcoran
7 Posted 04/11/2019 at 08:37:02
Andy, that's a disappointing post.

Richarlison is an embarrassment to anyone associated with him. It's bad enough having to watch the tripe being served without having to look at that lad's pouting diving mug too.

Phil Sammon
8 Posted 04/11/2019 at 08:55:50
I raised this months ago and got shouted down. At the time, I probably went too far. I think I might have said I ‘hated' the lad, which isn't fair. I just don't like his attitude. He always looks unhappy on the pitch. He is perennially hard-done-by in his own mind. I think if he could find some joy in the game, he'd be a better player.

As for the diving, that's an interesting one. I loved Steven Pienaar, but he was a diver. He invariably flopped on the ball whenever he felt contact in the back. He'd get his back to people and initiate it too. He had a habit of actually handling the ball when he fell which forced the ref to make a decision either way. That sort of stuff is a real blight on the game and I think he played a part in normalising it. I can't really justify him being one of my favourite players... but he was.

Jim Bennings
9 Posted 04/11/2019 at 09:01:58
Phil,

The difference with Pienaar though is he didn't stay down like he's been shot by a sniper.

Pienaar was very clever at winning free-kicks, I'll hand you that, but the way Richarlison does it, it's so transparent really and so bloody painful watching him feigning he's hurt after EVERY bit of contact.

Fran Mitchell
10 Posted 04/11/2019 at 09:13:50
It is irritating, and hopefully, as he matures and develops, he will eradicate this element of his game.

But this high-horse, false-morality of 'being Everton' - sorry, don't buy it.

What is 'Being Everton'? Being a perennial loser? Not winning silverware? Embarrassing ourselves when we visit our neighbours or any other team that string a couple of passes together?

Football is about winning, and I wouldn't be surprised if part of Richarlison's actions are more out of desperation – we do not create chances, we are only dangerous if we get a free-kick within 30 yards of the goal, so Richarlison is trying to do that, knowing that getting a clear cut chance in front of goal in open play is not likely.

Sterling was a massive diver when he started out, but he has been trained and educated so that now he is the most dangerous player in the league. Salah has a tendancy to fall at the slightest contact - but the guy is one of the best in the world.

Let's focus on improving in the final third = a midfield that passes forwards, wide forwards that make runs into the penalty area, a striker who is not isolated and feeding off scraps.

If we are able to do any of that, Richarlison is part of the solution; we need to get the best out of him so he does not feel the need to cheat; we need a manager who knows how to improve him and set a team up to the benefit of our best players, not to the detriment.

Andy Mead
11 Posted 04/11/2019 at 09:45:39
Shane @7,

I wasn't defending Richarlison in any way shape or form. He is one of the worst.

Steve Ferns
12 Posted 04/11/2019 at 09:51:31
Fran, I've seen it said that Richarlison's behaviour is the norm in Brazil. That he came up in the environment of Futsal and so always played with a ref. Talented players protect themselves from injury by such behaviour. The likes of Maradona had no such protection and so had to be able to handle themselves.

I can only repeat what I've read. You live in the country, is that your experience or is it a load of bollocks?

Steve Hogan
13 Posted 04/11/2019 at 10:11:35
I'd off load as soon as somebody offered us our money back. He may have talent in abundance, but his character is weak and fundamentally flawed.

Can you imagine Shearer (roughly the same size and physique) allowing himself to be bullied and pushed around like that?

Shane Corcoran
14 Posted 04/11/2019 at 10:19:40
Andy #11, my reply was to the other Andy.
Matthew Williams
15 Posted 04/11/2019 at 13:21:13
Be honest now folks... if this lad was plying his trade back in 1970, would Mario Zagallo have picked him in his squad to play in the World Cup in Mexico in that year?

Tosun and Calvert-Lewin should start up top,but I haven't given up on the young lad Kean either!.

I am sick of his all his diving antics... sorry folks, not good enough, would rather have Morelos from Rangers, scores goals and kinda goes ape-shit crazy verses teams who play in all red... A BONUS!!!

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

16 Posted 04/11/2019 at 14:38:37
Without question, Richarlison exaggerated and went to ground too often yesterday. Possibly the most I have ever seen him do in any one game.

He had actually largely reduced such play-acting this season before yesterday, but it was poor behaviour v Spurs.

That said, I think the character assassination of Richarlison in the opening post, and some subsequent posts, is unmerited.

Jim Bennings description of him as being a 'grumpy young man with a face like a smacked arse' is just silly. He is ALWAYS intense on the pitch. He is actually quite timid and humble off it. Who is the one player who always gives his shirt away to a delighted kid at the final whistle?

As for Steve Ferns' claim that is a 'Brazilian cultural thing', is it buggery! It is a trait you can see worldwide in every footballing nation, INCLUDING England, Scotland Wales and the Irelands.

Yesterday he milked it far too much. Holding whatever part of his body for effect. Staying to ground too long. He actually has not been doing much of that lately.

But those criticising him also need to acknowledge a couple of things:

1) Silva playing him at the central forward with the tactic of pumping high balls up to him is not getting the best out of his talents. It exposes him more to the likelihood of getting clattered, which in turn leads to him going to ground.

2) He DOES get fouled many times without the ref calling it. That has absolutely nothing to do with 'the boy that cried wolf' syndrome, but incompetence on behalf of the match official.

Two VAR calls went against him yesterday: the penalty call. He skinned the Spurs player who then caught him with a thigh high tackle without getting anywhere near the ball. The last man foul which should have resulted in a red card.

Both were clear and obvious. Neither the on field or off field referee can annul those decisions on the grounds of 'well, he's been trying to con me all game...I'm not going to give him the decision to teach him a lesson'.

And if his 'simulation' was/is so exaggerated, why wasn't he booked in this game or any other game, as far as I recall, for the offence?

Fine. Have a word. Alert him to the fact he may be getting an unmerited reputation. But to out and out condemn him as some have, questioning his 'Everton credentials'?

I think there are far, far more pressing matters to be concerned with right now.

Give me - and Richarlison - a break from such moralising, please.

Kieran Kinsella
17 Posted 04/11/2019 at 21:08:41
To me it is easily fixed. The manager should have a word.

I know in the past both Fergie and Wenger publicly criticized their own players for diving (although they both often defended players for similar). But, I just get this sense that Silva indulges Richarlison.

With the other younger players, we constantly hear "they need to perform from first to last, work hard, show up in training every day" etc. Richarlison seems to be the one player who can do absolutely nothing in a game and keep his spot.

On some occasions, he will do nothing, then get a goal, and very infrequently he will actually play well for a whole match. Kean, Calvert-Lewin, Kenny, Davies etc have an imperfect game and they're assigned to the bench for weeks. Richarlison somehow seems bomb-proof.

Steve Ferns
18 Posted 04/11/2019 at 21:19:03
Kieran, it's probably the 14 goals he scored last season?
Oliver Molloy
19 Posted 04/11/2019 at 21:26:13
Richarlison is probably the biggest play actor in the Premier League. He is a marked man with the referees and only has himself to blame.

Never mind him, he is letting the club and the fans down in more ways than one with the theatrical acting.

Jay Harris
20 Posted 04/11/2019 at 21:30:30
Totally with Jay Wood.

It might look as if he goes to ground easily but if he gets kicked or elbowed in the face or the chest we would expect him to look for a free-kick and we would be looking for one too.

Nobody tries harder than Richarlison on the pitch and those decrying him should find a better target for the scapegoat because that boy sure should not be it.

Rob Dolby
21 Posted 04/11/2019 at 21:42:26
Why shouldn't he dive, throw himself to the floor and cheat? After all, the whole of the premier League do it.

The rules are encourage diving as it is becoming a no contact sport and with the misuse of VAR the cheating will only get worse.

He was fouled a lot yesterday. Moura gets a foul from Mina on the edge of the box Richarlison got nothing for exactly the same thing.

What did people think of Arteta 'earning' free-kicks. I think at one point he was the most fouled player in the league, most of those were dives.

People have to realise he is the most likely to score or create something for us. We haven't had many 22-year-old full Brazilian international strikers playing for us. We should enjoy his ability, warts and all.

Kieran Kinsella
22 Posted 04/11/2019 at 21:52:24
Steve

If the goals are the key then you could argue he would be letting Calvert-Lewin play every match right now as he is, minute for minute, on course for better than 14.

Joe Corgan
23 Posted 04/11/2019 at 21:58:40
I won't sugarcoat it – no he isn't.

It was telling, yesterday, that even our own players didn't put the ball out of play when he went down, rolling around like he'd been shot.

Frankly it's embarrassing. He's now not getting genuine free kicks because of his reputation for diving at every opportunity. Those around me in the ground yesterday suggested he should have been substituted to make a point that his behaviour isn't acceptable.

Matthew Williams
24 Posted 05/11/2019 at 13:35:23
The Watford fans weren't fussed when he left to join us... the clues were there, folks!

Drop him.

Paul Hughes
25 Posted 06/11/2019 at 15:55:19
The thing is, as I was discussing with my neighbour in the Main Stand, Richarlison makes so much fuss at every bit of contact, when he actually is fouled, the officials assume there is nothing there, so it is self-defeating.

He could be decapitated on the penalty spot and the ref would wave play on, because he's done his Swan Lake act half a dozen times before in the game. He needs a stern talking to, but I suspect our current manager is too much of a wet blanket to do so.

Tony Abrahams
26 Posted 06/11/2019 at 16:00:35
It shouldn't just be the manager, Paul, because surely there comes a time when his own players have got to speak-up to him about his embarrassing antics, especially because as you've said, his cheating is actually costing his team at the minute.
Martin Mason
27 Posted 06/11/2019 at 16:07:01
The rumour is that Man Utd will try to buy him in January.
Tony Hill
28 Posted 06/11/2019 at 16:18:28
I like him but his concentration does not match his talent and he slips and slides around. He needs self-discipline which I expect to arrive in due course.

If we got a large offer in January or in the summer, who knows? Would he want to stay? If Silva were to go, then the answer to that question may be "no".

Andrew Keatley
29 Posted 06/11/2019 at 16:25:02
Richarlison knows that he will be targeted by other teams. In fact, I think that's part of the problem – he is expecting the contact before it arrives. Sometimes he is even resigning himself to not being able to retain the ball in favour of hoping to win a free-kick – which should only ever be a last resort for a footballer; when you have no option to pass, no option to shoot, no real option to retain the ball, that's when you try and win the free-kick.

There was a moment in the second half of the game on Sunday when the ball was played into Richarlison, back to goal, edge of the Spurs box, Davinson Sanchez marking him, and he tried to turn and manoeuvre the ball into space behind Sanchez in the hope that he could run onto it himself. Unfortunately, the ball ricocheted into Sanchez, Richarlison directly turned into Sanchez and then hit the ground, and Spurs gathered the loose ball.

It was a poor decision by Richarlison - a hopeful attempt at winning a foul. He was never going to get onto the loose ball. It looked to me like he was sacrificing possession in favour of gambling for a foul. He could have received the ball, held it up, let his team-mates take better positions – all the while inviting Sanchez to foul him.

He needs to be braver.

John Pierce
30 Posted 06/11/2019 at 16:28:29
Diving is part of the game. Richarlison however, is bad at it. He neither has the talent to win fouls for us and doesn’t do it in the right areas. Basically if you are gonna get a card for diving at least do it in the area. Anywhere else there is little pressure on the referee to buy it.

You could well argue we don’t do enough to get him the ball in the box or play to his strengths but maybe that’s a chat for another day.

He frequently holds his face, regardless of were he’s been kicked. Look there’s an art to getting a free kick. If he wants to play like that then look no further than Pienaar, Arteta and in this current team Tom Davies. Masters of getting their body between the ball and defender so any touch yields a free kick.

My advice, either learn to be better at it or leave it alone.

Finally for those who think it’s some morally low down tactic, well its professional football and these fellas will do anything to get a result. The only thing that will curb behavior is a more severe sanction.

Sadly like everything at the moment we aren’t very good at it.

Darren Hind
31 Posted 06/11/2019 at 19:10:28
Diving seems to be an acceptable part of today's game. Cheating is ingrained into the psyche of players from a very young age. You either accept it as part an parcel, or you walk away and find a cleaner sport.

What can never be acceptable is the sight of a finely tuned athlete spending long periods of every game in seemingly unbearable agony.

The lads a total fanny. I want to drag him off the pitch every time I see him holding some part of his body with that pained expression.

I know he's talented, but he's also fucking embarrassing.

Rob Halligan
32 Posted 06/11/2019 at 19:47:15
Looks like Silva has maybe had enough of Richarlison going to ground rather too easily. The following is an extract from Silva on the official site:

"We are working with him because the Premier League is really tough and the message and the feedback to him is to always to stand as much as he can. Don't fall down... even if it looks in many, many moments that the decisions are not fair with him.”.

Steve Ferns
33 Posted 06/11/2019 at 19:53:01
It's a good interview, Rob: Link
Joe McMahon
34 Posted 06/11/2019 at 20:05:22
He's not the first, though, is he. Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush, Micheal Owen, Mo Salah, Sadio Mane. But they were all (and some still are) rewarded for their antics with penalties.
Darren Hind
35 Posted 06/11/2019 at 20:05:33
Nice one with the link, Steve.

Interesting...

Paul Tran
36 Posted 06/11/2019 at 20:15:31
Thanks for the link, Steve.

For all the debate here, if we had a team playing at a quick pace, with good forward movement in midfield and attack, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

That's the real issue here.

Brian Harrison
37 Posted 06/11/2019 at 20:29:55
I see Marco has had a word with Richarlison, I am sure if he had played in the same team as Andy Gray and Peter Reid, the manager wouldn't have had to say a word to him...

But different era, different ethos from team mates now.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

38 Posted 06/11/2019 at 20:31:04
Richarlison, the 7th most fouled player in the league the link says.

And that's just on the calls he is given. Plenty are not which have nothing to do with his more theatrical falls.

As Paul Tran says, with better tactics, speed and movement, playing Richarlison in a position and set up where he gets the ball to feet running at a retreating defence, rather than trying to compete for a high ball with his back to goal and an Orc of a defender on his heels, and the fouls against him will be more obvious and in more threatening positions to the benefit of the team.

Len Hawkins
39 Posted 06/11/2019 at 21:31:52
I hate diving and I can't not hate it if an Everton player does it, but these money-grabbing morons who end up on TV telling us about what we have just watched most of them rednecks condone it with rubbish like "He felt a touch in the box he's entitled to go down". They should be the first ones banned off TV.
Tommy Carter
40 Posted 06/11/2019 at 22:14:50
He's a modern footballer trying to gain marginal advantages in games much like other more successful teams than ours do.

I've no problem with it because he's a superb player.

But the dinosaurs would probably prefer Ashley Barnes or someone in our forward line.

Good luck to them.

David Thomas
41 Posted 06/11/2019 at 22:28:24
I can’t believe people are watching the same matches as me if they want him dropped or sold etc.

In my opinion he should be alongside with Digne the first name on our team sheet.

He is without doubt our best attacking threat and our main goal threat.

Darren Hind
42 Posted 07/11/2019 at 05:40:22
Tommy Carter,

I'm begining to suspect the only time you take a break from fawning all over expensive foreign imports is when you launch into an attack on an English player. You've excelled yourself here. You managed to do both.

Everyone (even the dinosaurs) accepts that players try to gain an advantage by diving these days... but its only the fanboys who will accept the length of time Richarlison lies on the floor in unimaginable agony.

The referees have longs since lost patience with him and simply restart the game leaving him there. Evertonians wring their hands in frustration as we play for long periods with ten men and the opposition supporters of EVERY club take great delight in ridiculing his histrionics... Still Tommy Carter is fine with it. So thats ok.

Incidentally Tommy lad; Although Richarlison cost around seven times the amount Ashley Barnes cost Burnley... Although he earns twice the wages... Although he gets to play with vastly superior teammates and although he has been blessed with greater skill. See if you can guess which one of them have scored the most premier league goals in the last three seasons combined?

The "dinosaurs" will already know the answer, but I suspect you will have to look it up.

You bring Barnes into the argument as a perfect example of why we should put up with Richarlison lying down for such long periods, but be of no doubt. If Richarlison doesn't start standing up for the full ninety, he will be outscored by the Burnley journeyman again

Tommy Carter
43 Posted 07/11/2019 at 06:31:35
Thanks, Darren.

In just a few short paragraphs, you have told me all I need to know about your knowledge of the game.

And provided me with a short laugh to boot.

David Thomas
44 Posted 07/11/2019 at 06:32:16
It would be interesting to see if they both became available this summer what calibre of club and manager went after Barnes and which went after Richarlison.
Paul Tran
45 Posted 07/11/2019 at 07:34:40
Maybe Barnes's manager is better at getting the best out of him than Richarlison's? It's perplexing that Silva's bought him twice and still isn't getting the best out of him.
Darren Hind
46 Posted 07/11/2019 at 07:51:39
Tommy,

My post had nothing to do with my knowledge. Everything I said was common knowledge. My post merely exposed your ignorance.

David,

No top manager would be interested in either player. Barnes because he is coming closing in on the end of a career he has been very lucky to have – given the terrible injury he suffered 4-5 years back – and Richarlison for reasons which should be very obvious.

However! If it's goals and assists you need (which is what these players are judged on), I wonder how many people would be daft enough to bet against the journeyman Burnley player (despite all the disadvantages) coming out on top of the Brazilian Superstar on both counts this season?

"Yeahbutnobutyeah... He's a Brazilian" – He's a fucking Brazilian alright. He needs to stop listening to bleeding idiots who tell him his behaviour is fine and acceptable. Otherwise, his career will be over before he even begins to approach his true potential.

Tommy Carter
47 Posted 07/11/2019 at 11:03:28
@46

Darren. To summarise, you are saying that Barnes is a better player than Richarlison?

Or have I got that wrong?

David Thomas
48 Posted 07/11/2019 at 11:07:43
I hope not Tommy. Darren has come out with some strange claims in the past but even he wouldn’t be suggesting that.
Conor Skelly
49 Posted 07/11/2019 at 18:06:20
Tommy 47.

I think what Darren is saying is that, for all of the hype and with respect to Richarlison's undoubted ability, Barnes still has the more impressive numbers.

It not to say he is "better" than Richarlison, but that over the last several seasons has been more productive.

There is no doubt that Richarlison spends too much time on the floor and his body language can appear negative - to put it kindly

I'd also like to acknowledge that asking if he is "Everton" might sound a bit sanctimonious. However, this is based on the image of Everton that I have, which is bravery, blood, guts, and thunder.

Tommy Carter
50 Posted 07/11/2019 at 21:14:46
Conor

Stats can be used to shape an argument according to your own bias.

In this instance Darren uses the last 3 premier league seasons goals combined to try and support his argument.

An alternative view on the stats may be to point out that Richarlison scored more goals last season than Ashley Barnes.

Another may be to point out that Richarlison has scored 6 international goals for Brazil since the beginning of last season.

Barnes is yet to make a senior appearance for either Austria or England.

When Barnes was 22, he was playing league 1 football.

My point is very simple and very clear. If Ashley Barnes is more ‘Everton’ than Richarlison then what a truly sad indictment of our football club.

‘Everton’ to some people seems to be Unsworth, Ferguson, Dave Watson.

Well not for me.

Give me Dacourt, Kanchelskis, Lukaku, Barkley, Materazzi, Beardsley any day of the week. Top quality players. Ones that we were unable to keep

Darren Hind
51 Posted 08/11/2019 at 02:23:52
Tommy,

Your laugh must have been, as you say, a short one. You've come back twice to dig yourself deeper.

First of all, you demonstrate you don't even get the point you were arguing – that point being: It's not about seeking advantage, like other strikers, it's about Richarlison's embarrassing habit of lying down in unimaginable agony long after the game has been restarted.

You described fans who don't subscribe to your sycophantic tolerance as "dinosaurs". Yet a cursory flick through the several current threads would show you the condemnation of Richarlison's antics is almost universal. It would appear the "dinosaurs" massively outnumber you sycophants.

In your attempt to appear clever, and knowledgeable, you make a complete mug of yourself. Why introduce a journeyman striker to the debate? Then why make the bizarre claim that the "dinosaurs" would prefer him? Where are you getting this stuff from?

You thought you had dismissed the argument of others, but you hadn't even had the good sense to choose a journeyman who hadn't been pissing all over your foreign superstar.

Nobody here has claimed Barnes is a more talented player (that was another daft claim you made all by yourself). Nobody else even mentioned him.

The blindingly insightful Tommy Carter may tell us he has "no problem" with the way Richarlison conducts himself z because he's a "superb player"... The trouble is, this is his third season in this league and in that time he has been outscored by the crocked journeymen you wanted to hold up for ridicule... Hardly a ringing endorsement for the Brazilian's antics, is it?

As ever with you Tommy. There is a huge gaping hole in your argument. See if you can spot what it is...

Jim Harrison
52 Posted 08/11/2019 at 02:54:47
Probably a bit over the top. Yes, he needs to learn, but he is young. He is a full Brazilian international, our leading goal scorer last season.

Let's turn on him, flog him, then spend next 3 season wondering why we don't score any goals. Anyone remover that Belgian guy that played for us?

Jim Harrison
53 Posted 08/11/2019 at 03:51:01
Would also add, Sterling, Mane, Salah, Ronaldo, Neymar to name but a few have all at various stages been accused of diving or play acting. Some still do it. All have become great players.

Richalison is only young, and does need to learn that, if he gets tackled, he doesn't need to react as if he has been gaffed. If he can shake that part of his game and focus more on his skills, we have great potential in him.

Tommy Carter
54 Posted 08/11/2019 at 12:41:49
@51

Darren, I don’t know you but I can imagine being so aggressive and negative probably doesn’t serve you.

I don’t dig myself any holes. I have an opinion to which I am entitled.

My original point if you care to read again was how Richarlison was a modern player in a modern game. It is not just him, there are plenty like him in much more successful teams than ours who seek to influence the officiating with their behaviour.

Barnes was cited as the antithesis of this, he’s old school and there are few of him about.

But I’d rather a more talented player with the modern influence on their game than a less talented one with an honest attitude.

Obviously all these blues that you refer to would rather the honesty and hard work. Or ideally, Richarlison to have the attitude of Graham Sharp.

But he doesn’t, he is what he is and for his talent I’ll take him that way. Rather than lose him simply because he rolls around a bit too much for some people’s liking.

I watch him closely in the flesh and he comes in for a lot of rough treatment and he doesn’t shirk it, ever. He’s happy to get involved with the physical stuff.

But I think he knows he is targeted and this is his way of trying to get some more recognition from the officials. Whether we like it or not, it’s his prerogative.

Watch the game vs Southampton at home last season if you get the chance. He was targeted and hobbled on a number of occasions. It was a clear tactic and one that must be difficult to face each week. Basically I think teams identify him quite rightly as our main threat and try to nullify him with the physical stuff.

As a closing point, Richarlison will outscore Barnes this season.

David Thomas
55 Posted 08/11/2019 at 14:26:11
I wouldn't waste your breath, Tommy. Darren's idea of Everton is Unsworth as manager and the likes of Rodriguez and Barnes up front. Just shows how far the club has sunk with fans who now believe this is Everton.
Darren Hind
56 Posted 08/11/2019 at 18:20:04
Tommy

You always do this.
You come in swinging shouting about "dinosaurs" not knowing what they are talking about and what you THINK these fictional characters want.

Then as as always - and it is always in your case. You get a little back and you scream foul. You could easily have simply made your point. You chose not.
Its pretty easy. If you want to be treated with respect and courtesy try showing little. I can play either way, but Please, spare me the hypocricy.

At the start of last season and the season before I suggested we sign Jay Rodrigues as a bargain short term solution to our goal scoring problem. (This is what your little echo is alluding to) I said the players we had wouldn't score.
Three different people on here challenged me to a charity bet saying our forwards would score more. . He'd murdered our forwards in their beds by Chrimbo. Fair do's they honoured the bet

As a gesture of no hard feelings. I will offer the same bet to you. a straight shoot out. The Burnley journeyman with the ridiculously English name against the Brazilian superstar.
If Barnes score s the most, you donate twenty quid to Cancer research. If Rich comes out on top. I have to donate the same amount to a charity of your choice ?

Are we on ?

Steve Ferns
57 Posted 08/11/2019 at 18:25:58
Didn't Ashley Barnes play for Austria? English name, Germanic blood!
Darren Hind
58 Posted 08/11/2019 at 18:30:56
I don't know whether he has or not steve. I did hear he was eligible.
Tommy Carter
59 Posted 08/11/2019 at 20:50:05
Darren. You pick up on one expression and take great offence. Your apparent hypersensitivity is quite a turn off.

It’s just my observation that anybody who refuses to accept simulation as a part of the modern game is a dinosaur.

Yes, there’s no doubt that Richarlison would be a more attractive proposition to our fans if he had an approach to the game of someone like Bryan Robson.

But he doesn’t. Simulation and influencing the referee is a part of his game that I’m happy to accept (very different from me liking or encouraging it). Because he has undoubted quality and I’d find it interesting if anybody questioned his desire and guts.

I would be happy to for you to donate to charity when Richarlison has finished the 2019/2020 season with more League Goals than Ashley Barnes.

Darren Hind
60 Posted 08/11/2019 at 21:51:32
Tommy

I don't do sensitive, I don't mind a bit of two and frowin. . I just take exception when the guy who starts it, Then complains.
Once you start down that road you have to be prepared for what comes back over the net.

Anyway enough of that

I'm stunned that you think there is a single referee in the game who will be influenced by Richarlisons half witted antics . . . How do you think its going so far ?
He is in very real danger of losing all credibilty.

My prediction is that Richarlson will not get off the floor long enough to outscore the journeyman you foolishly ridicule.

Name your charity

Tommy Carter
61 Posted 08/11/2019 at 22:17:25
Darren

At no point have I ridiculed Barnes.

I have nothing but respect for him.

Richarlison is a better player.