John Giles selects his all-time Everton XI

by   |   12/06/2020  12 Comments  [Jump to last]

Former Leeds and Republic of Ireland midfielder, John Giles, has been selecting all-time XIs for several clubs and international sides during the recent break, for Irish radio station Newstalk's Off The Ball show.

This week, it was the turn of Everton, with Giles selecting his all-time XI from the 1960s to now, which unfortunately ruled out (among others) Dixie Dean.

Giles opted for a 3-4-3 formation but did mention that, if he had to select two full-backs, he would have gone for Seamus Coleman (right-back) and Ray Wilson (left-back).

Some of the names shortlisted for each position and his final selections will certainly raise a few eyebrows among Evertonians as will his recollection of an incident at Goodison between himself and Sandy Brown where Giles believes he was an innocent party! It is nonetheless certainly worth a listen:

The John Giles all-time Everton XI is as follows:

Alex Young
Andy Gray

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (12)

Colin Glassar
1 Posted 14/06/2020 at 11:22:59
That team would win everything under the sun.
Darren Hind
2 Posted 14/06/2020 at 11:42:09
What I wouldnt give for a young John Giles in our team now.

Often nasty. Fiercely competitive, aggressive, streetwise and very very talented. Even in a team as despised as that brilliant Leeds team were, he still managed to stand out with his win-at-all-cost mentality.

He knew how good Ball, Kendall and Harvey were. He was one of the very few who could give them a game.

Tony Abrahams
3 Posted 14/06/2020 at 12:00:47
A fine tribute to Johny Giles that, Darren. It's a very long time since we've had a proper top-notch midfielder who can really drive his team forward.

Some top players on that list. I listen to my red mate tell me how good Van Dijk is and then I think about how much easier defenders have got it now with most teams playing only one up-front.

Although I'd select a different front three, I'd definitely make sure to put plenty of crosses into the box with Gray and Latchford up top!

Sean Kelly
4 Posted 14/06/2020 at 13:49:32
Giles was a good player in his day. He could look after himself and his team mates. His weekly analysis on Newstalk is always balanced and detailed. He's one of the few I would listen to. In an age where some “experts” want to complicate the game, Giles just takes the bullshit out of it.
Paul Birmingham
5 Posted 14/06/2020 at 21:18:58
Fair play to Johnny Giles, who was a very good player but in what was one of the dirtiest teams I've seen in football, in that era when Leeds were arguably consistent and knocking on the door for trophies.

Yes, a great side he's picked and I sense, only my view, he's picked it on football and guts and all-round competitiveness and winning at all costs and bounce-back ability.

I'd have put Bob Latchford or Sharpy ahead of Andy Gray, but fitness etc aside I can see in my opinion why he's gone for that side.

If only we could turn back time for next Sunday and put this team out!

Darren Hind
6 Posted 15/06/2020 at 12:48:18
I must say I thought Andy Crooks would have been all over this one.

Then I realised I hadn't seen much from him lately. Hope he's just taking a back seat until the footy starts...

Paul Tran
7 Posted 15/06/2020 at 12:53:13
I can't think of Johnny Giles without thinking of that wonderful Auf Wiedersehen Pet episode when Oz copped off with an older woman and compared her wonderfully with Johnny Giles, followed by Moxy's punchline.
Derek Thomas
8 Posted 16/06/2020 at 15:31:55
Paul @ 7; feeder and punchline please.

Johnny Giles was Revie's snide in chief, assisted by that other little gobshite Bremner. Revie's cowardly policy of getting your retaliation in first to upset the opposition was based on fear of failing...trouble was - it worked, we fell for it and contributed to our own downfall on that fateful November afternoon.

The thing is - they could play, there was no need. But Giles knows the truth, as his continued (somewhat successful) attempts at revisionism over the years shows.

One of his quotes - gist - a team with Gabriel, Kay and Morrissey in and WE get called dirty.

Clough nailed them - Cheats - throw your medals away

David Ellis
9 Posted 16/06/2020 at 16:57:47
I quite like the team but if I was sticking with his formation I would replace Kendall with Bracewell for more steel in midfield, and Lineker or Richarlison in place of Gray for a bit of pace upfront. And I would have Gary Stevens on the right-hand side of defence instead of Mountfield.
Paul Tran
10 Posted 20/06/2020 at 18:35:14
Derek #8, the Auf Wiedersehen Pet episode was one where Oz got his car impounded by Customs. They all went on a night out and Oz pulled an 'older' woman. The morning after conversation went something like this:

Neville: What was she like, Oz?
Oz: She was like Johnny Giles. A bit older. a bit slower, but she was always in the right position and willing to give the right pass.
Moxey: I once went out with a woman who looked like Billy Bremner.

Later in the episode, it transpired that Oz had been with the wife of the Customs guy who impounded his car, which gave us one of my favourite comedy lines ever:

"Why aye, Oz, he nabbed your car and you knobbed his missus!"

Martin Reppion
11 Posted 01/07/2020 at 10:51:55
Paul. Wasn't it Wayne's car that was impounded?
Paul Tran
12 Posted 04/07/2020 at 15:37:27
You could be right, Martin. It was a long time ago.