In Praise of Richarlison!

by   |   09/07/2020  66 Comments  [Jump to last]

I am most likely very biased but is there a better attacking player anywhere in the Premier League than Richarlison?

I would not swap him for Salah, Jesus (comes very close), Auybamiyang, Jimenez or Vardi and Harry Kane. The goal he scored today was in a totally different class from any other goal scorer we have had since the days of Lineker and Sharp.

Richarlison is coming close to being an amazing all-round goalscorer. He has pace, strength, control, lethal in the air and on the ground, and is one tough cookie. He has been kicked all over the place since the Restart but recently looks like the only one who gives a damn.

The biggest problem that Ancelotti, Brands and Moshiri have is hanging onto him until we have enough decent players who can give more scoring chances than the crumbs he is currently feeding off. His goal today will be the highlight of MotD, appear in Goal of the Season, and convince many Champions League clubs that he is the one they need while we cannot even get close to the Europa League.

Dear old Marco Silva came in for some most deserved criticism but, without him being in charge, I don’t think we would have got anywhere near Richarlison. So a big “Thank You” to Marco... and then piss off!

I really hope we get to see Richarlison in an Everton shirt with half-a-dozen decent players around him before he goes — and he will go. So enjoy him while we can and pray that Carlo has some magic up his sleeves when the transfer window opens!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (66)

Tony Everan
1 Posted 10/07/2020 at 09:23:44
Yes David , We are lucky to have him , he is a ray of hope for the club. Unless we get our act together we will lose him.

Ancelotti and Brands have to buy midfield quality to regenerate this team, and give Richarlison hope for the future.

Brands said he will target 3 quality players, these will determine our immediate future.

I think this summer transfer window is a watershed, get some quality players in and get into the top 6 next year. Failing in that will see our best player wanting out. The temptation of Barcelona or others will be far too much to resist.

The worst possible scenario is Barca or another CL club offers 100m + their deadwood next month. We lose our best and start player and get dead wood in return that doesn’t want t be here and is unmotivated. Then the cash will be spunked again on top 6 deadwood like Lingard or some Arsenal cast off.

We have to hold him to his contract for next season and tell him to give Carlo a chance to build something. Carlo hasn’t signed a player yet and the best we can hope for is a rejuvenated Ancelotti team next season with a fantastic new midfield.

Tony McNulty
2 Posted 10/07/2020 at 09:30:37
Excellent summary David. Very little to disagree with in your post.
Mike Allison
3 Posted 10/07/2020 at 09:36:12
Can’t disagree with the praise, but there’s something really important about him that needs to change and I find it so frustrating. I also can’t believe that with Duncan Ferguson at the club this isn’t being sorted out.

He is constantly doing the following:

1. Trying to win free kicks by exaggerating slight contact. Referees rarely fall for this, they love to show that they haven’t, and they are far less inclined to give genuine fouls if they know the player does this.
2. Deliberately taking the ball into areas where he will be fouled rather than finding teammate. This is not in and around the box, where it would be a good thing, but in midfield where the set pieces aren’t dangerous.
3. Letting us know he’s ‘hurt, but bravely carrying on.’
4. Getting visibly upset at the rough treatment handed out to him by opposing defenders. These last two encourage the defenders and let them know they’re getting the better of him.

He can do even more for the team with some really simple wising up and toughening up. This might take a 30 minute conversation and a conscious decision, not exactly a difficult thing to do. If the club want to pay me a coach’s salary I’ll pop round and do it myself.

He needs to look like he enjoys the rough stuff. He needs to stay on his feet until it’s impossible not to, get up with a smile on his face if the defenders want to get heavy, and dish out some of the nudges and body contacts that Calvert-Lewin is becoming adept at.

He’s got so much in his locker, but he hands over advantages to defenders and bad referees. I’m flabbergasted that no-one at the club has worked on this because it never seems to change.

Tony Everan
4 Posted 10/07/2020 at 11:39:30
The lad is being targeted and fouled to within an inch of long term injury.

It is an absudisgrace and a dereliction of duty that referees are allowing this to go on. It’s only a matter of time before the lad is put in hospital.

Against Tottenham it was blatantly obvious that Mourinho had briefed his players to foul Richarlison out of the game. Last night there was more of the same.

Managers will think it’s a free hit to take him out now every game.

The referees have been a disgrace to allow this, and ourselves for not complaining about it as aggressively as possible. Any other club whose star player is getting cut down would go mental on the ref. Our lads react like a librarian who has seen someone put a book on the wrong shelf.

Mike Allison
5 Posted 10/07/2020 at 11:50:50
Tony, I agree with your last point, but moaning about the referees is pointless, we can’t control what they decide. We have to assume they’ll be shit and do something about it. One of those things should be to be less ‘nice’ about bad decisions as you say.

However, my points above are clearer examples of things we can do. If I was an opposing manager I’d be telling my players to target him because I know it’d work. Richarlison needs to be the kind of player who it’s not worth targeting because it won’t affect him. He needs to stop trying to buy cheap free kicks by going down easily, because far from buying cheap free kicks, he’s costing himself real ones because referees write him off as someone who goes down easily.

Again, this is a 20 minute conversation and maybe a slight adaptation to training that should make a massive difference to what happens on the pitch.

Incidentally, another plus point on Calvert-Lewin’s growing list yesterday was how he went over as team ‘enforcer’ when Stephens was trying to bully Richarlison. He picked up a yellow for it, which was harsh as Stephens got nothing, presumably because the appalling Lee Mason wouldn’t have had the bottle to give him a second yellow.

Patrick McFarlane
6 Posted 10/07/2020 at 11:55:26
Tony #4
I agree entirely, it's a good job the lad is a tough cookie, but as you say the likelihood is that he'll suffer a long-term injury due to one crude challenge too many. I'm sick of the game and how it's being officiated.

How come our players have to tread more carefully than others by not falling over or not aiming kicks at opponents whilst the so-called big clubs get away with diving, feigning injury, deliberately injuring others and any other 'cheating' device you can think of.

Perhaps, our players are fully aware of all of this favouritism shown towards the chosen teams and that's why they can't be bothered putting the effort in. Considering the lack of challenges our players generally put in - they gather a ridiculous amount of yellow cards compared to many other Premier League clubs.

It was hoped that VAR would clean up the game but it has become apparent that it is making things worse and favouring those who employ cheating tactics.

How long will Richarlison remain at Goodison if he feels he's not being protected on the pitch and realises that if he plied his trade elsewhere he could be free from the brutal treatment he has received in the last few matches.

Danny Broderick
7 Posted 10/07/2020 at 12:27:34
Mike Allison,

Spot on. It’s absolute nonsense to say he is at risk of getting a serious injury. He is at no more risk than anyone else on a football pitch. What is happening is he is getting clipped, fouled repeatedly (not seriously), which then sees him scream, roll over and we are then a man down until the physio has run on with the magic sponge and then he makes a recovery like Lazarus.

He has had a good season, I’ve got no issues with his performances. But we were all saying this last season. He needs to toughen up. Opposition teams are aware of this weakness he has - teams are simply going to carry on doing what Spurs and Southampton have done. How do you nullify Richarlison? Clip his ankles, give him a nudge in the back etc. This is currently taking him out of every game for 7/8 minutes. Why wouldn’t opposition teams do this?

Ajay Gopal
8 Posted 11/07/2020 at 07:43:11
I am with Tony (4) on this one and I have expressed very similar views on another thread. Mike, it is all very well to say that he needs to 'toughen up' and cut-out play-acting, and I agree with that to some extent.

However, I do really believe that we have seen a big improvement from Richarlison about feigning injuries this season - I do believe that the pendulum has swung the other way big time. Opposition players think that they can kick him and foul him and the referees won't penalise them because "Oh, it is that actor – Richarlison".

The referee's job is to officiate in an unbiased way and be true to what they see in front of their eyes, not what happened in the past. I am surprised that Carlo has not yet brought this up in any of his recent press conferences - I think he would be justified to. I can't imagine Mourinho or Klopp or Pep being quiet about their top player being kicked around like Richarlison does.

Kevin Molloy
9 Posted 11/07/2020 at 12:48:44
it's a joy to see his progress. God knows what he'll be like this time next year. It made my blood boil to hear Clive Tildesley laughing at how he had been systematically targetted by different members of the Soton and Spurs teams.
David Cooper
10 Posted 11/07/2020 at 15:43:29
There is increasing number of times that opponents have tried to stand on his planted foot in tackles. These cannot be random collisions as it takes a good degree of determination and accuracy to hit the foot and either bruise the ankle or force it to rollover. It's nothing new!

Unfortunately I can remember doing this many moons ago playing as a fullback! In those days it was considered as “part of the game” and football boots gave more protection than they do today.

If referees had ever played a decent game of football rather than study the rule book to get their badges, they would know this. They would also be able to make better decisions about VAR.

I don't blame Richarlison at all for showing how much it hurts when he suffers this type of tackle. Get someone to stamp down on your foot when you are wearing crocs and see how much it hurts!

Colin Metcalfe
11 Posted 11/07/2020 at 15:58:44
I would swap him with Mason Greenwood in a heartbeat! Much better player and still only 18 years old... sorry, but no contest.
Paul Hewitt
12 Posted 11/07/2020 at 16:05:39
Richarlison is a very good player. But to say you wouldn't swap him for Salah, Vardy, Jesus or Kane is ridiculous.
Ian Horan
13 Posted 11/07/2020 at 16:10:38
Interesting views about who you would swop Richarlison with. Even Ronaldo, Messi or even good forbid Salah up front would make no difference to this Everton team. No quality service to your forwards results in what we are seeing at the moment.

Let's see who Carlo brings in. If there is no quality service, Richarlison will be off next summer... let's enjoy him whilst he is here.

Alan J Thompson
14 Posted 11/07/2020 at 16:33:29
With respect, he isn't the Marquee but he could be the Ringmaster. As well as Calvert-Lewin is playing, he doesn't have a sniffer's nose and only when we get somebody to play as a target man who puts away the half-chances and draws away the opposition defence, will we see the very best of Richarlison.

On top of that, we need a midfield that works all over the field rather than specializing in being defensive, holding, or playing wide and takes away the need for Richarlison to do as much chasing back as he does.

Will we be able to keep hold of him? That is the name of the game: keep your best and improve the rest.

James Flynn
15 Posted 11/07/2020 at 16:58:32
Richarlison is getting kicked down for real, not pretend. That silly diving he was doing last season has stopped. Remember, even Marco finally had to say something about it.

Defenders don't need to be told anything by their managers. They're kicking Richarlison down because it's the best way they can stop him. And let's acknowledge that he is getting some calls from refs. It's not all one way.

Allison and Broderick. You both forgot to include, "Why back in my day, when it was a man's game..."

Brian Murray
16 Posted 11/07/2020 at 17:06:27
It's been pointing out that none of the other top managers would keep silent about the treatment Richarlison is getting if he was in their team.

We keep hearing what a decent and nice guy Carlo is. Haven't we had enough of that type? Delusional Martinez and passive Koeman. Time to join the mind games, Carlo, and question all injustices and start protecting the club a bit more.

Bill Gall
17 Posted 11/07/2020 at 17:25:47
Mike #5, I agreed with your point on Calvert-Lewin going to the protection of Richarlison after he fouled the other player. I did not understand why the Southampton player was not booked as he was first to go after Richarlison. I did not realise he had been booked before, which shows how weak the referee was.

I seem to remember Fabian Delph getting sent off for his second foul – that was less than what the Southampton player deserved for pushing an opposition player.

Laurie Hartley
18 Posted 11/07/2020 at 23:06:28
Kevin Molloy # 9 - systematic is the correct description of what is happening to Richarlison. That is another reason we need a hard man in midfield.
Jay Harris
19 Posted 11/07/2020 at 23:53:26
James, I totally agree.

It annoys me when commentators go on about Grealish being fouled all the time and yet, when Richarlison gets absolutely mulleted by Ward Prowse 4 times (and he never even got a yellow once) and nothing is said, it just shows you the contempt for our club and players.

Andrew Keatley
20 Posted 11/07/2020 at 23:55:28
Mike (5) and Bill (17),

Stephens targeted Richarlison verbally and squared up to him a few times during the game. I imagine it was a preconceived tactic, especially considering the way Adam Smith managed to get Richarlison sent off against Bournemouth last season.

Richarlison deserves credit for not getting wound up, and Calvert-Lewin did a good job of noticing and protecting his team-mate.

Mike Allison
21 Posted 11/07/2020 at 00:03:35
Actually James, I used to get some of the same criticisms I’m giving Richarlison. The big difference is that I wasn’t getting paid to train every day and didn’t have 17 professional coaches working with me, I had to figure it out for myself. I just think there’s a lack of nous being shown here that is a quick, easy fix.

And I only stopped playing 5 years ago.

Alex Parr
22 Posted 12/07/2020 at 02:09:29
I agree with the general opinion around the change in Richarlison from last season - I think the diving has taken a bit of a back seat. A lot of the tackles he is on the receiving end at the moment are snide and he is getting kicked about a lot more, without protection from the refs.

Yes, his reputation is making that easier for the majority of cowardly Premier League refs but, in my opinion, there has been a big change in how vicious and repetitive the constant kicks Richarlison is getting are becoming.

Martin Nicholls
23 Posted 12/07/2020 at 10:33:47
I well remember the retribution dished out to Brian Marwood for his assault on Adrian Heath. An "enforcer" in the mould of Peter Reid (or Mogsy!!) might make some players think twice about targetting our star man.
David Cooper
24 Posted 12/07/2020 at 15:19:40
No praise for anyone today. Shambolic and spineless. Very hard to watch here at 7am.

My only thought was what was going through Richarlison's mind after we went 2 down and he had spent the whole time chasing shadows. At one point, he was on camera shaking his head.

Was he thinking “Is this what I have to look forward to next season?” And “What would it be like to play for a team that gets more possession and has players that can give me the ball in dangerous positions?”

Jerome Shields
25 Posted 13/07/2020 at 18:17:11
I agree that Richarlison is Everton best forward and has improved. He is being specifically targetsed, often unfairly. But , he is poor at passing a ball and when he finds himself running down blind alleys, he looks bemused in what to do with the ball. He would benefit from better players around him.
Joe McMahon
26 Posted 13/07/2020 at 18:20:42
Fear not Jerome Shields, there is a good chance next season he will have better players around him when he becomes part of the Lingard deal.
Jerome Shields
27 Posted 13/07/2020 at 18:25:39
Joe#26

This is possible, but who will want to come to replace him, unless part of a deal.

Joe McMahon
28 Posted 13/07/2020 at 18:41:25
Jerome, probably a few, with no expectations on performance and multi thousands per week.

What a sad state of affairs this wretched club is.

Darren Hind
29 Posted 13/07/2020 at 18:50:24
Doesnt get any more stick than any other forward. Just rolls around the floor a bit longer.

Not sure he is quite ready to be bracketed with the leagues top marksman either. He's not even the top scorer here is he ?

Gavin Johnson
30 Posted 13/07/2020 at 18:59:49
In the case of Richarlison I'd try and move him across a bit. With our current wingers less than useless, barring Anthony Gordon, I'd be inclined to play a 4-3-3 with Richarlison, DCL and Kean, with Gordon played in the middle of another row of 3 with any 2 of our useless midfielders. We need to try something.

Robert Tressell
31 Posted 13/07/2020 at 19:05:09
Richarlison is a champions league quality centre forward. He plays a little deeper and wider for us than he should because he's effective and we're so light on quality generally. He is one of the very, very few players in the world who could replace Aguero at City.
David Thomas
32 Posted 13/07/2020 at 19:10:28
He is our best attacking player by a country mile (considering his opposition that’s probably not saying much) but to say you wouldn’t swap him for the likes of Salah and Kane etc is a bit ridiculous.
Joe McMahon
33 Posted 13/07/2020 at 19:29:25
To be fair Darren half the time he's an attacking midfielder (not a striker), and gets kicked to shreds every single match.
Darren Hind
34 Posted 13/07/2020 at 19:30:45
Just checked.

Not even our top scorer. Which is a bit disappointing when you think he has played as many games in the same team as a guy often described as championship at best

Tony Everan
35 Posted 13/07/2020 at 19:33:13
Gavin 30, I have been thinking the 4-3-3 is the way forward. but who would be the lynchpin in central midfield? It’s too big a job for Gordon. Sigurdsson and Davies are not the answer. The only player who could pull it off is Mason Holgate if he recovers.

Pickford
Coleman Keane Mina Digne
Davies Holgate Gordon
DCL Kean Richarlison

At least then we have players like Davies and Gordon who will be thinking about getting forward to support the attackers. DCL and Richie can be told to track back and close down. We can try to put our opponent on the back foot for a change, something haven’t seen for ages.

Dave Abrahams
36 Posted 13/07/2020 at 19:45:10
David, I think you are going overboard in your lavish praise of Richie, he’s a good player, lagging behind Dominic in the goalscoring list, he gets load of stick obviously, so does Dominic who gets on with t better.

Richie is far from a great player, IMO, goes down plenty of blind alleys, plays like he’s got blinkers on, passing when he should shoot and shooting when he could pass, but he is still learning, like Dominic, who gets most of the flack.

However they have scored twenty five goals between them while still relatively young and could lead our forward line for the next five or six years, let’s get behind the two of them instead of overpraising one of them, again in my opinion, and giving too much stick to the other.

David Thomas
37 Posted 13/07/2020 at 20:17:01
Sorry Dave but Richarlison is a far better player than DCL.

Richarlison and Digne in my opinion are the only two players I would have any interest in keeping this summer.

To be honest I couldn’t give a toss if they sold DCL tomorrow.

Dave Abrahams
38 Posted 13/07/2020 at 21:10:05
David, (37), yes Richie is a better player than Dominic, on his day, but he isn’t consistent, he has had plenty of off days before and since the season has restarted, he has scored two good invaluable goals which have saved us worrying about staying up, he has also been on the outside looking in a couple of times.

As for you not giving a toss if Dominic was sold, well that is your call, fair enough, I think you’d be surprised at the number of premier league clubs who would be interested in signing him, and I doubt he would come cheap.

David Cooper
39 Posted 13/07/2020 at 22:06:00
My comparison with Kane and Vardy etc. Was done with age in mind. Yes Greenwood looks an outstanding prospect but we shall see how he develops and gets kicked around the park. Richarlison is nailed on to be one of the 2 Brazilian attackers along with Jesus when international football restarts. As for his comparisons with DCL they work really well together but I think I don’t think DCL could have scored the goal that started this article. Jota’s goal was of equal quality and they have Jimenez as well!
David Thomas
40 Posted 13/07/2020 at 22:27:16
Dave 38,

Well I hope they hurry up and buy him to be honest.

Maybe I will be proven wrong but I just don’t rate him. He’s a hard worker and has got pace but that’s about it for me.

I’ve been told by people on this site over the last year or so that Tom Davies is a potential future England captain, Iwobi was not a panic buy and has very good distribution in the final third, Mina is one of the most dominant central defenders in the league and DCL is one of the most sought after young strikers in European football etc etc.

I’m just amazed with all this talent that we are were we are as a club at present.

Maybe it’s because these players aren’t as great as many people seem to think and in fact they are at best bang average.

As I’ve said before this club needs a massive clear out (unfortunately it won’t happen any time soon) otherwise we will continue to be left behind by the clubs who use to be our equals.

Danny Broderick
41 Posted 13/07/2020 at 22:37:07
Dave (39),

You don’t think Firminho will start for Brazil?

Danny Broderick
42 Posted 13/07/2020 at 22:38:16
No one is doubting that Richarlison is being fouled. He just has to stop squealing like a piggy!
Robert Tressell
43 Posted 13/07/2020 at 22:39:45
I like DCL, was glad he started to get the goals his effort deserved. However, he's still a work in progress. Next season is big. He needs to replicate that 15+ goal haul and ideally nudge it north of 20.

Richarlison is a different matter. He scores difficult goals and makes goals out of nothing. Our current shitness worries me. It is possibly only COVID-19 that will keep him on our books for the 2020-21 season.

Darren Hind
44 Posted 13/07/2020 at 22:50:37
It's funny... Two strikers playing the same amount of games in the same team. The one has scored the most is "championship standard at best". The one who has scored the least is a world beater.

You couldn't make this shit up.

Dave A is right of course, both should be supported, but by making himself a £50M+ player, Calvert-lewin has already made a mug out of some and they will not forgive him for it.

Jim Jennings
45 Posted 13/07/2020 at 23:02:36
Except they are not both strikers and one of them has not played the entire season as a striker, Darren.

Nor is “number of goals scored” the only metric to measure a player’s contribution.

Nor has the author (or anyone on this thread) called DCL “championship standard at best”.

Nor is the thread about DCL. Nonetheless, aside from one poster who couldn’t care if he’s sold, there’s been plenty of praise for DCL.

t’s almost - ALMOST- like praising one player and attacking another (young / homegrown / English) player are not mutually exclusive.

Welcome back. Hope you had a nice sabbatical.

John Raftery
46 Posted 13/07/2020 at 23:22:21
For his goals, work rate and tackling Richarlison has been our best player this season in an admittedly narrow field. He is the only member of our squad who could even compete for a place in a top team.
Darren Hind
47 Posted 13/07/2020 at 23:47:45
Jim

There are two posters on this thread who have repeatedly called DCL championship at best. They wont deny it. They never miss an opportunity to have a dig. See if you can spot them

As for goals not being the only metric to judge a forward. When the OP compares a striker to the leagues top marksman. Then goals will most definitely be the metric used to.

It all comes down to the time honoured argument which has always come up with certain players: Is he a great scorer of goals or is he the scorer of great goals ? At this moment in time Richarlison may be one, but he definitely isn't the other.

Jim Jennings
48 Posted 13/07/2020 at 23:55:01
Darren,

I genuinely don’t know which posters you mean but fair do’s, I don’t doubt you on it, and if that’s your way of calling them out, then so be it. It just seemed bizarre to bring DCL into it.

I don’t think the OP was basing it purely on goals scored. Richarlison is one of the few players we have who I would not want to see sold. DCL too, incidentally. I don’t think either one of them are or will become great goal scorers.

Steve Ferns
49 Posted 13/07/2020 at 00:02:28
Jim, I think you might be right, but we don’t need either of them to the league’s top scorer or in the top 3. When’s the last time a great goalscorer won us a trophy? Didn’t we win the league in ‘87 sharing the goals out. We Won nothing with 40 goal Lineker or supreme poacher Cottee. The year we finished 4th, wasn’t Marcus Brent on 7 goals or so and Biffa Beattie was on less?
Darren Hind
50 Posted 14/07/2020 at 00:06:33
I didn't bring him into it, Jim.

The OP bracketed Richarlison with the league's top scorers. I simply pointed out he wasn't even our top scorer.

Don Alexander
51 Posted 14/07/2020 at 00:16:03
Dazza, your self-confessed sabbatical vis-a-vis that other, welcome, as you are, TW nutter Jay Wood, has been mercifully brief for those of us who enjoy a good laugh. Welcome back and keep 'em comin.

Don

Gavin Johnson
52 Posted 14/07/2020 at 00:26:26
Tony - Yes, I I'd not thought of that. I think you're right about Holgate in midfield providing Mina is fit.

The three subjects to make Darren blow a gasket – Say anything bad about Everton youth, David Unsworth or Big Dunc! lol ;)

Dave Abrahams
53 Posted 14/07/2020 at 09:16:37
David (#40),

You say you are wondering where we are in the league at the moment with all the talent we have? Come on, David, you know why. We have the poorest and weakest midfield in the Premier League.

Once that is considerably improved, both Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin will improve their goalscoring tally and become a pair that will take us forward. Dominic will get his England caps and increase his transfer fee, Richarlison will get more caps for Brazil, score more goals for them, but (in my opinion) will never become a world class player, it's just not in him.

I couldn't care less about England or Brazil at football, but those two players will do me for Everton.

Mike Allison
54 Posted 14/07/2020 at 09:29:12
I just don't get why some people are so desperate to slag off Calvert-Lewin. He's been excellent all season.

When we had Lukaku, he wasn't good enough either. If we sold Calvert-Lewin and signed Mbappe and Gabriel Jesus, there'd probably be something wrong with them both.

David, 40, your list of positive things you've been told about our players just highlights how often you're on here slagging them off.

Brian Murray
56 Posted 14/07/2020 at 09:38:23
We keep hearing football is close to becoming a non-contact sport and refs are card and whistle happy. Well, why is it, if a team wants to kick Richarlison all game long, they are allowed to?

Or is Everton the exception because we are never near being top-four or Sky loved???

Jerome Shields
57 Posted 14/07/2020 at 09:46:11
Joe #28,

That's it exactly.

David Thomas
58 Posted 14/07/2020 at 13:32:32
Fair enough we all have different opinions on players. I think I’m definitely in the minority on this site who just doesn’t think DCL is ever going to be a top striker. I hope I’m wrong.
Robert Tressell
59 Posted 14/07/2020 at 13:49:55
DCL is already a very useful footballer with a really good goal haul. I am, being honest, kind of glad he's not been brought into the England spotlight this summer due to cancelled Euros. The media is not kind to Everton players and there is a good chance he would be unfairly scapegoated. He needs another strong season under his belt and if that happens england caps will follow. Probably not loads (he's no rashford, greenwood or kane) but that's nothing to beat him up about. Plenty of really good players get relatively few caps if the team is strong in their position.
David Cooper
60 Posted 14/07/2020 at 16:43:29
Danny 41 - I think will get the nod over Firmino (find it hard to write that name on our website!) because of his physical assets and presence. Playing F and Jesus would not give them the work that Richi is learned to do without the ball. But I know very little about the Brazilian national team apart from watching that Prime Video Series about the team where Richi showed up quite often.
Jim Jennings
61 Posted 14/07/2020 at 22:43:46
Darren #50,

“Bracketed him with the league's top scorers”. The OP didn't claim he had scored more than anyone. Or mention Calvert-Lewin.

He said, “Richarlison is coming close to being an amazing all-round goalscorer.”

So yeah, you did bring Calvert-Lewin into it by making some reference to comments that two of your sparring partners have apparently made in the past about him, by drawing a comparison to Richarlison, based purely on goals scored.

It's all there in black and white in post #44. Anyway, I'll stop flogging this dead horse now.

Geoff Lambert
62 Posted 14/07/2020 at 23:01:23
I think we will loose Richarlison to Barca or another top Champions League team.

I don't think we will loose Calvert-Lewin to Barca or another top Premier League team.

Tom Bowers
63 Posted 14/07/2020 at 23:28:29
All goalscorers are coveted, especially those younger ones with years ahead of them.

Richarlison is wasted at Everton and will continue to be without the support of better players. Calvert-Lewin tries hard but is lacking that bit of class and It's looking like Moise Kean and Walcott are not really favoured. We don't have any young guns ready to burst on the scene so Carlo has to look elsewhere.

Sadly, Richarlison will be looking to European soccer and, as Everton have failed miserably yet again, it won't be very long before a big team makes the right bid for him.

Hard to believe that even Burnley are likely to finish above Everton.

Everton will likely keep Calvert-Lewin for a few seasons more, as they did with Niasse, Sandro, Mirallas and Bolasie, as no other team thinks they are worth spending money on.

Darren Hind
64 Posted 19/07/2020 at 16:27:44
Jim Jennings,

If you are going to tell blatant porkies, it's probably a good idea not to draw attention to it.

I did not bring Calvert-Lewin into this debate, he'd already been mentioned six times before the post 44.

As you say... it's all there in black and white.

Trevor Peers
65 Posted 19/07/2020 at 16:49:57
Just watching Kane destroy Leicester, who hadn't been too bad up to the 40th minute. Having a good striker like Kane you can turn the game on its head.

Richarlison is the only player anywhere near his standard at Everton. The rest are way short. I doubt we'll be signing a striker in the summer and will remain mid-table or worse because of it.

Jim Jennings
66 Posted 19/07/2020 at 16:55:20
Darren,

No porkies. I did not say you were the first person to mention Calvert-Lewin on this thread. You only have to re-read my first post on the thread (#45) to see that I acknowledged others mentioned him (positively).

I did say that you brought a comparison between Calvert-Lewin's and Richarlison's goals scored, for this season, into the thread, to discredit the OP. In fact, you felt you needed to say it on three different posts before I posted at all.

I did also say that goals scored are not the only barometer of how good a player is, which is what the OP was saying.

I don't really want to “do a Jay Wood” here (although I am now starting to see how these debates ensue) and have to quote posts line by line. Just read back the chronological order of the thread. You're either misreading, misconstruing, or just missing the point.

David Cooper
67 Posted 20/07/2020 at 21:37:18
More evidence of what an outstanding player Richarlison is. Just thinking who else might be capable of scoring the quality of header he did today. Praise also for Sigurdsson for delivering the perfect ball.

Add Richarlison's tracking back and defensive duties... I don't think we overpaid for him like our expert thought we did! £40 million is a bargain!

Against a tough team to beat at home, I thought this was one of our best performances. Several players were at their best and Gomes looks like the player we saw glimpses of last year. Thought Keane and Branthwaite were very solid. Perhaps Branthwaite is our answer to a left-footed centre-back.