Mason Holgate, Everton Captain

by   |   14/07/2020  15 Comments  [Jump to last]

'Where is the captain who sees it going wrong on the pitch and tells the players to change or help?' — A recent question in a post by Christine got me thinking…

How about a change of captain?

Seamus Coleman is a fantastic servant of the club and still doing a job; his desire and effort never falter. No Evertonian can help but admire him. The problem is, he is not really a leader, motivator, or organiser in terms of his personality. He is a bit more of a "keep quiet, try your hardest, and get on with it" type and expects the rest to follow suit.

I would like to see Mason Holgate be given the role of Everton Captain going forward… now is as good a time as any to make the change. He is the one player with the grit and determination and class to deserve it. He is combative and vocal. You can see it, he has that precious 'winning mentality' and there is an edge to him.

Other players will not want to cross Mason by shirking; he will let them have it if they even think it. I think he has these qualities now, but they will get better with experience and maturity.

Captains are basically chief motivators and organisers on the field. They have a presence that is a psychological boost to the team. I always think the central positions are best suited to this.

Mason Holgate is the type of player I think who would embrace and improve upon being given the armband and the responsibility. Other players would respond to it. He has just been given a long contract and is part of Everton Football Club for the long-term. He is one of a few players that the Carlo Ancelotti team will be built around.

Recent setbacks have not totally extinguished my optimism for the future. I am keeping the faith and I support Carlo Ancelotti 100% to make a difference next season.

You'd better believe it; times they are a changin' … and I think this change could be one of the building blocks to a better team. (Along with the crucial summer reinforcements to central midfield.)

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (15)

Michael O'Malley
1 Posted 14/07/2020 at 12:14:38
I thought Phil Neville was a really good Captain, although he was a limited player he led by example and was constantly barking out orders and I’ll never forget that tackle on Ronaldo that swung the game in our favour, wish we had his like now
Kevin Prytherch
2 Posted 14/07/2020 at 12:27:09
What about promoting a Holgate initially to second captain - the captain when Coleman’s not on the pitch. We can see them if it affects his performance before making him permanent captain.
Dave Abrahams
3 Posted 14/07/2020 at 12:31:43
I think Mason is a good choice, a Captain has to be a good aggressive player which he is, I’d make another aggressive player who loves Everton his vice captain, Jonjo Kenny they’ve played together often enough along with DCL, add in Anthony Gordon and you’ve got the basics for a good team. That is until the posters on here start picking the bones off them!!!
Mike Allison
4 Posted 14/07/2020 at 13:18:56
Do it for the next three games at least. I’ll be disappointed if we don’t try a couple of experimental things now that there is nothing to play for. Holgate as captain, Baningime in midfield and Moise Kean given more than 20 mins at the end of a game would be the first three.
Paul Tran
5 Posted 14/07/2020 at 13:41:35
Completely agree. He's the only player in the squad who looks and acts like a captain.
John Kavanagh
6 Posted 14/07/2020 at 17:52:57
Since it's highly unlikely that Carlo would give the captaincy to a new squad member, Mason is the only player he could give the captaincy to. Needs to be done asap as Seamus is clearly near the end of the road as a regular first team player.
Rennie Smith
7 Posted 14/07/2020 at 19:38:48
It's a good point because at the moment no one is giving a bollocking on the pitch, not even Seamus. Appreciate players make mistakes but when someone is not putting it in they would have had an earful in the past.

Someone needs to start doing a Big Nev act, and I don't Pickford sticking his tongue out, so maybe Mason is the man to do that?

John Raftery
8 Posted 14/07/2020 at 23:37:40
I felt Mason was captaincy material when he joined the club five years ago. I remember his first game at Southport versus Liverpool Under-23s, only five days after he was signed. He was the player doing all the shouting, marshalling his colleagues and generally looking the part.

This season, he is one of the very few prepared to assert himself on the pitch, get in the faces of the opposition and engage in a dialogue with the officials when appropriate.

He is also one of the few players brave enough to acknowledge the away fans, even after our defeats, of which there have been far too many. A good team has captains all over the pitch. While Mason does not strictly need the armband to fulfil a leadership role, it would be a statement of intent to appoint him as team captain.

John Keating
9 Posted 15/07/2020 at 09:11:23
Sad that we have to be talking about young Mason stepping up, not that I think it's a bad idea.

We've got internationals all over the pitch - surprisingly not that you'd know. Every single one of them plus the others who aren't should be good enough and know enough a captain shouldn't be required.

When you look at the '60s teams, the '80s teams, we had guys there who were all vocal and many Captain material. A sad indictment where we've come to...

Sean Callaghan
10 Posted 15/07/2020 at 17:35:06
100% agree with what you say, Tony. I have nothing but respect for Seamus as a person, footballer and proper emblematic ambassador for the club and hope that he could continue to do the PR meet the fans type stuff (in a sort of 'club captain' role).

On the field though it has to be Mason. I'm like John Raferty in that, as soon as I saw him step out in blue, I thought "future captain if all goes well" (with the massive caveat that far too many of our youngsters vanish from sight and it would have been equally likely that Holgate would go the same way as Pennington, Browning, Galloway, Foulds and more).

Paul Birmingham
11 Posted 16/07/2020 at 22:42:35
In an ideal team, Everton would have 11 captains; in past eras, every player gave his all – win, lose or draw. Where the club is now, this I see is a key step to transforming Everton.

Yes, Mason for Captain gets my vote as, despite the internationals in the squad, Mason plays and acts like he does care about Everton FC.

The team needs a living pulse on the pitch, which we haven't had for a long, long time.

Dave Williams
12 Posted 17/07/2020 at 08:55:36
Good shout, Tony. Perfect choice, he'll be an automatic starter and not one of the old brigade who has been steeped in failure.

I also agree with Dave Abraham's – put Kenny in at right-back for more pace, crossing ability and grit and the defence is pretty much sorted unless Pickford is sold, which I'd be more than happy about.

We need these young, more determined types to establish a new order at the club and with Holgate and Kenny in charge on the pitch, Calvert-Lewin back to form with Richarlison up front, Digne at left-back half the team is in place.

I personally think Davies will be a good player once the rabble he has to play with in midfield is sorted and he can focus on whatever is his best position. The poor lad takes dreadful stick but he plays centre-midfield virtually unaided by Sigurdsson or Gomes alongside him, often with three opponents on his shoulder. Even Alan Ball would struggle to make an impression in the midfield at the moment.

Philip Bunting
13 Posted 17/07/2020 at 09:05:54
Def Mason. Every team needs a leader and Seamus was never that. For me against Liverpool at Anfield a few seasons ago he stood tall, he fought back, he challenged. Never hid, type of player I would want in my team and as captain.
Mike Gaynes
14 Posted 18/07/2020 at 07:58:25
I agree with Kev #2 that it's not necessary to take away Seamus's armband, but if he's not on the pitch, I think Mason would make a fine captain next season.

Dave #3, I know you love Kenny but I am still predicting -- without any supporting evidence or inside information -- that he will not be back. Everton won't renew the loan and Schalke can't afford to buy him outright, but they love him and he could still go back there as a makeweight in a McKennie deal. Unless somebody comes in with a better offer for the young Yank, I think it'll happen.

ps: ESPN reports tonight that McKennie's pursuers now include the RS, Leicester, Spurs, Wolves and Herta Berlin. Spurs are reported to be particularly interested if we beat them to Hojbjerg.

Justin Doone
15 Posted 21/07/2020 at 22:58:05
Yes, he's vocal and tries to organise players but I'm not convinced he's guaranteed to start and should be left to concentrate on his own game. Maybe a few seasons down the line.

I'm hoping we sign a top quality / world class player who is a real leader and obviously an easy captain decision.