The Everton Squad, 2021-22

by   |   10/05/2021  48 Comments  [Jump to last]

A lot of debate is underway on recent ToffeeWeb threads about our squad’s ability, hunger, and that favoured word: ‘deadwood’. We will finish this season where we belong and I am in the Stan Schofield, Thomas Richards school of asking: Why, with what we have at our disposal, were we expecting to reach the moon in one full season with Carlo Ancelotti at the helm?

We need to move players on, of that there is no doubt. But, instead of replacing the likes of Sigurdsson, Iwobi and Gomes, could they not become squad players with better quality around them? I feel three quality signings could help us greatly without the need for wholesale squad changes.

We have 24 players currently registered in the first-team squad and eight out on loan, according to the official Everton website, a total of 32 – not including any up-and-coming Academy players.

Marcel Brands has indicated he is happy with two players for each position plus an extra goalkeeper. So potentially we will be saying goodbye to nine players just to get down to these numbers.

That bit is the easy part. Due to contracts running down, it is likely to be
King, Bernard, Bolasie, Tosun, Kenny, Walcott, Besic, Delph? – and finally Kean (for different reasons to the others). Getting any fee for most of them is another matter altogether...

That leaves us with:
Richarlison
Calvert-Lewin
Iwobi
Rodriguez
Simms
Gordon

So, to improve the squad, we need to move some of these 23 players on and bring in better quality as replacements.

The goalkeeper likely to move on is Olsen, due mainly to non-football reasons. His replacement needs to either put pressure on Pickford or be better than him long-term. Since Olsen has been signed, Pickford has upped his game out of necessity. I am not including goalkeepers in my replacement numbers due to the situation surrounding Olsen being for non-football reasons.

We are short of both a right-back and a left-back. Nkounkou is not yet ready and Coleman is not getting any younger. Branthwaite is likely to go out on loan again next season. This gives us with the two berths in the denfending part of the squad to enable the two players for every position that Brands wats.

So, with goalkeepers and defenders, that takes up 11 of a 23-man squad. Leaving us with 12 for midfielders and forwards. Of that 12, Simms and Gordon look the most likely to go out on loan again, giving us the ability to bring another two players in.

One seems likely to be a right-sided midfielder and the other a forward. Meaning four fresh faces in the squad with only a fee for Kean to help pay for them. So any transfer budget from Moshiri will be most welcome.

What is most apparent, to get anywhere near the level we want to be at, is that three of these four new faces need to be better than what we already have. Digne being the exception at left-back, where suitable cover is required rather than quality. No lack of ability from Coleman, just that time waiteth for no man.

The problem with Sigurdsson has mainly been the fee we paid for him; he was never a £40-million player. Had we paid around the £20 - £25 million mark, would we be so critical of him? The same applies to Iwobi and Gomes, halve their fees and you have decent squad back-up. So maybe not so much the player but the fee paid. Of the three of them, only Iwobi has me tearing my hair out as a player who is playing well within his ability.

If we do secure European qualification, then the 23 players Brands indicates he is happy with as a squad number will need to be increased to 25. That would give us a total of six new additions, seven if you include the goalkeeper situation. If four of those seven could walk straight into the team on a regular basis, that is what is behind my thinking of not loosing the likes of Sigurdsson and Gomes; they know how the club and Ancelotti work behind the scenes and in game preparation. And, as we found out in the Koeman era, having one set of players getting you into Europe then signing a new set of players who walk straight into the team does nothing for team morale.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (48)

Robert Tressell
1 Posted 10/05/2021 at 21:26:40
On the theme of this Mailbag post by Derek Wadeson, I'd like to up the ante and play what I will call: You are Marcel Brands:

Armed with millions of pounds and luxurious pelt atop your head, you are tasked to play Marcel Brands and create the squad of 23 (a first and a second XI, plus the extra goalie) this summer that is capable of reaching the Top 4. What do you do?

To make this vaguely realistic, you have at your disposal a generous transfer kitty of £110m.

This is generated by the following sales, free transfers and loans:

• Kean - £42.5m
• Broadhead - free
• Tosun – loan
• Gordon – loan
• Branthwaite – loan
• Simms – loan
• Gibson - loan

To further add to the realism, you will be unable to name Gbamin in one of your sides because of injury. If you want, you can re-sign King for free and / or sell one of Holgate (£20m) or Mina (£25m). However, to our general dismay, no-one can be tempted to take Delph or Iwobi off our hands – or indeed any of our other players. They are part of your squad unless you can find a loan for them (that doesn’t increase the transfer kitty) or ask that, like Oumar Niasse before them, they simply hand over their locker key and never darken our door again.

If it helps, here’s a list of who we’ve been regularly linked with in the gossip columns:

CB: Demirel and Koulibaly
RB: Aarons, Dagba, Emerson, Celik, Spence, Tomiyashu and Trippier
CM: Rabiot, Assuncao, Svanberg, Anguissa, Soumare and Sarr
AM: Olise, De La Cruz, Luis Alberto, Isco, Buendia and Coutinho
W: Wamangituka, Bouanga and Bailey
F: Zirkzee, Dybala, Igor Jesus, Rafael Leao, Dike, Dia and Daka

If it’s of interest, there are some notable free transfers kicking around this summer – including Depay, Calhanoglou, Aguero, Thauvin, Emerson, Vasquez, Hysaj and Maksimovic. However, these free transfers come with such huge wages then they knock a bit off your transfer kitty.

You don’t have to use any of these players though; by all means, pick your own. But your player valuations do need to be realistic and the players you have in mind would have to actually want to come and play for a side finishing 8th(-ish) with no recent silverware or pedigree in the Champions League. That’s my hint that you can’t buy Sabitzer – and there will be plenty of Champions League takers for Depay, too, so I expect he’s out of our league unfortunately.

James Flynn
2 Posted 10/05/2021 at 21:32:31
I want Kean back. He's a talent.
Dale Self
3 Posted 10/05/2021 at 21:43:18
I don't, Kean doesn't wear the shirt properly.

Nice outline, Robert. I must admit that your raising the ante has priced out your retarded American football friend.

Looking forward to seeing you and Gaynes trade takes on various players and ways forward. I promise not to just take a back seat, I'll give it a go at times but I really haven't been watching enough other leagues to contribute much to the conversation.

David Pearl
4 Posted 10/05/2021 at 21:48:02
Fair piece Derek,

A right back, yes... and he would have to be special with big boots to fill.

Left back Nkounkou should be trusted more, not liked the way he has been used, or not used over the past months.

A winger deffo.

Perhaps even keep King.

Above all l would like our players to stay fit for a change

Laurie Hartley
5 Posted 10/05/2021 at 21:56:36
Derek, your post will generate some interesting debate.

Robert # 1 – the player I want is not on your list: Adama Traore. With him on the right we would look a different team. His inclusion would also mean that once and for all Richarlison would be played in his best position - on the left.

James # 2 – I think he is a talent also. I don't think we will see him back because I don't thinks he wants to be here.

Kieran Kinsella
6 Posted 10/05/2021 at 21:57:57
Derek

I think the issue with retaining the likes of Sigurdsson and Gomes is their collossal wages. If you're paying a squad member £40k or £50k a week it's one thing, but if you're paying them 80k-100k that's really eating into your budget, and limits your ability to pay top dollar for other, hopefully better players. That being said, their wages are also a stumbling block for unloading them so we may see them stick around whether we like it or not.

One guy neither you don't mention is Delph, another joker on £100k plus a week. He will have one year left on his contract. I can't see anyone taking him off our hands. If anyone actually wants him they'll wait until his contract expires, but for a likely much lower wage.

Vijay Nair
8 Posted 10/05/2021 at 22:10:50
For the purposes of the conversation, the players' wages are listed here:

Danny O’Neill
9 Posted 10/05/2021 at 22:17:51
What do you mean, I can't have Sabitzer, Robert? I'm taking my ball and going to my Nan's.

I'll have a good look tomorrow and see what I come up with!!

Barry Rathbone
10 Posted 10/05/2021 at 22:18:43
Derek,

To answer why some (not me) expected to "reach the moon" was the simplistic idea that a manager with success elsewhere guarantees success anywhere – an idea that still prevails.

This season has shown the notion to be utter bollocks – there really is a lot more to it but generally people are attracted to simplistic solutions... and fit blondes with big tits.

Robert Tressell
11 Posted 10/05/2021 at 22:36:52
Sincere apologies to Derek. I didnt post my comment at 1 as a reply to your article. It was a coincidentally timed submission for an article in its own right a few hours ago following a chat on another thread. Sorry to hijack your excellent article - it looks like we have a remarkably similar take on our squad. 👍

Kunal Desai
12 Posted 10/05/2021 at 22:47:24
Just for once, bring in players so we are covered in all positions. Every summer we leave ourselves short. Right-back and right-midfield along with another forward are a priority. A creative midfielder as well.

We need to possibly add two or three versatile squad players thay can make an 'impact' of the bench.

Don't forget pace, pace, pace. Over to you Mr Brands. All eyes on you this summer.

Kieran Kinsella
14 Posted 10/05/2021 at 22:54:29
Kunal

Excellent point. We often seem to end up with everything but the thing we needed eg a striker when Lukaku left. I remember the Moyes era in June “we need five or six top quality players,” by July it was “we need three of four,” by transfer deadline day “och we may get a wee lad on loan.” Nowadays we sign plenty, just not the ones we need

Kunal Desai
15 Posted 10/05/2021 at 23:15:45
Totally agree Kieran, just bring in the numbers in quality required. We plug in one hole and leave a gaping hole elsewhere and so the cycle continues. Let's have options to cover many positions.

The likes of Sigurdsson, Gomes, Iwobi, Holgate, Delph etc will all probably be here next season but they cannot be in the starting eleven if we have further aspirations, however we need to build a squad out for multiple competitions including the possibility of Europa League and therefore expect them to still play some part.

Dale Self
16 Posted 10/05/2021 at 23:32:32
I should also apologize to Derek for failing to compliment the fine framework for this topic. Still out of my league but I would like to see the conversation to move from "get rid of the deadwood" to an honest evaluation of who deserves to remain a squad member.
James Flynn
17 Posted 11/05/2021 at 00:57:31
"I don't, Kean doesn't wear the shirt properly."

Made up nonsense.

He wears it the same as everyone else goes out there.

And he remains an attacking talent, under contract to Everton, we should keep.

Don Alexander
18 Posted 11/05/2021 at 02:12:24
Don Alexander
19 Posted 11/05/2021 at 02:12:29
There's comment above, knowingly or otherwise, of several of our dead-wood'ish squad being on £100k per week.

Today's papers state that Fernandes at Man Utd, a fabulous player, is in line to have his salary increased from that same £100k per week. If that's true, just who the fuck at "project" Everton signed off the absurdly high wages paid to our lot?

To me, the answer is "Moshiri", he being the owner, accountable to nobody. If that's true Moshiri this summer needs to grow a pair after losing so much of his hard-earned on account of lousy belief/advice and substantially back the man he's paid the earth to manage us – him being a serial winner an' all.

I assume Moshiri deems himself to be a serial winner too. So prove it, Farhad! Spend big!!

Jay Harris
21 Posted 11/05/2021 at 05:06:20
I would prefer to spend every penny we have available on a world class talent like Leon Bailey.

No has-beens, cast-offs, mid-priced average players.

We need pace, skill, vision workrate and goals and spending cheap will just have us in the same sitaution we are in now with players who are not quite good enough.

Alan J Thompson
23 Posted 11/05/2021 at 06:44:09
Why do we need a back-up left-back when one of the 4 or 5 central defenders we intend keeping should be able to cover at least in the short term or until it is considered that Nkounkou is upto scratch.

Similarly, the right back while Coleman is turning in performances as he has of late and with Kenny coming back for say a season, at least, while it is seen if his loan spell has brought about managements required improvement.

As for a third or reserve striker, I would like Kean but somehow I don't see any proven or highly promising striker coming just to sit on the bench with the odd League Cup game.

And, No, I don't want to be Mr Brands but I wouldn't mind sitting in on his conversations with Mr Ancelotti.

Andrew Ellams
24 Posted 11/05/2021 at 06:58:56
A right back is a must. Seamus was top drawer the other night but next season he'll be another season older and those performances will start to become more difficult to maintain on a regular basis. Kenny isn't good enough.

Pace in the middle and out wide is also a priority. If we had had more of that at West Ham, we could have won that game comfortably on the counter, and others too.

On people who expected more from Ancelotti's first season, well we have the 15th best home record in the league but, if we had match Wolves (only 10th best), we'd currently be 3 points off a Champions League spot with a game in hand and 4 games left. Who carries the can for that home record?

Steve Shave
25 Posted 11/05/2021 at 07:26:31
Interesting post, thank you. Cheers also to Robert who has raised the stakes. I'll have a go.

Unsuprisingly, I'll take Buendia for £35M please, he will offer versatility (can play in the 10 or right-midfiald). Toney from Brentford for £30M, I like the look of him. For a pacey winger off the bench I'd take a punt on Olise - probably not ready yet but has the pace and ability to get bums off seats and is only 18, highly rated and will cost £20M.

Right-back, I will go for Aarons from Norwich who I will purchase for £25M but kenny will go the other way in part exchange. That's my £110M spent, however (cue Columbo moment), I will sell Mina for £25M, promote Branthwaite to 4th choice centre-back for the season and spend that money on Sarr at CDM, snappy, aggressive fucker in midfield.

Therefore, my team would be:

Pickford
Aarons
Godfrey
Keane
Digne
Buendia
Allan
Doucouré (or Sarr)
James
Richarlison
Calvert-Lewin

The bench would have: Olise, Holgate, Toney, Coleman, Gomes, Sigurdsson

Forgot about a goalie... shit!!!

Robert Tressell
26 Posted 11/05/2021 at 08:56:41
Steve, I think we'd all be delighted if the squad is in that shape by the end of summer. Norwich fans would be fuming though! I hope, like you, we resist the temptation to sign a fading megastar. All of your new recruits are in the mould of Godfrey – players who have worked hard to earn a shot at the big time.
Derek Wadeson
27 Posted 11/05/2021 at 11:19:20
Robert Tressell, no need to apologize, I think the threads will blend nicely. Dale Self, thanks for the compliment.

To everybody else the Talking Point was to get everybody talking about their different take on the squad. Personally I don't think our squad bad, top ten yes, top four no. That's why what we add in the summer needs to take us upwards without damaging the framework that looks like likely to get us between sixth and tenth this season.

Danny O’Neill
28 Posted 11/05/2021 at 12:04:57
We don't necessarily need a clear out, but we need 4 or 5 players who make a difference. Retain Keane, Holgate or Mina (I think if one goes its the latter), Davies, Sigurdsson, but they become backup.

I'll come back with my thoughts later when I sit down with a glass of wisdom juice.

Am I still not allowed Sabitzer?

Ajay Gopal
29 Posted 11/05/2021 at 12:56:33
Fun! I believe we need 4-5 players to improve our squad.

I would sell:

1. Kean (40 million?) - he does not want to play for Everton. I think PSG will be flush with money after they sell one of Neymar or Mbappe and they will want to keep Kean.
2. Mina (20 million?) - slightly controversial maybe, but I think he slows down our play more than Keane, plus he is injury prone. He will do well in the less physical German/Spanish/French/Italian leagues. PSG might well be interested in him.
3. Bernard (5 million) - part exchange for Emerson, the Real Betis RB? Plus there were rumours that Manuel Pelligrini was interested in Bernard.
4. Delph (Free transfer) - I think there will be clubs interested in taking him - maybe West Brom/Fulham interested in an immediate promotion or one of Crystal Palace/Newcastle/Burnley/Villa. I would make a cheeky exchange offer for John McGinn of Aston Villa.
5. Iwobi - (10 million) Iwobi would fetch value from a German/Spanish team
6. Kenny - (5 million)

Incomings - I clearly prefer players with PL experience, because otherwise it takes too much time for players from other leagues to bed in.

1. Most agree that we need a new Right Back. I have been advocating one of Aarons/Lamptey, but I recently peeked at the YouTube highlights video (I know!) of Emerson, and he is a tall, athletic, pacy RB in the mould of Wan-Bisakka of ManU. 25 million (or 20 million + Bernard) - yeah, I will make an exception here about PL experience. Aarons/Lamptey would be my alternatives.
2. Creative/right mid-field: I have been very, very impressed by Perreira at West Brom. He looks like the real deal - aggression, speed, technique, goals - the whole package. I hope Brands breaks the bank to get him, 40 million (Alternatives would be Buendia/St. Maximin)
3. A combative box-to-box mid-fielder: I like John McGinn at Aston Villa a lot 20 million (alternatives - Dwight McNeil, Todd Cantwell)
4. Forward: We need someone who can give us 10-12 goals a season in addition to DCL and Richarlison. I have been impressed with Diagne - on loan at West Brom from Galatasaray. I think he will cost us about 20 million. (I am sure there are many alternatives, I just don't have any names)

Summary:
OUTGOING: Kean, Mina, Iwobi, Bernard, Delph, Kenny - 80 million
INCOMING: Emerson, Perreira, McGinn, Diagne - 105 million

Net spend: About 25-30 million

I suspect Carlo is keen to have Koulibaly, and if Moshiri has the cash, he will splurge about 40 million to get him, which could be part funded by selling Gomes and our 5th CB - Gibson.

This would take our net spending past about 60 million, which is a lot.

IF all this happens, the squad next season would look like this:

GK: Pickford, Olsen, Virginia
LB: Digne, Nkounkou
RB: Emerson, Coleman
CB: Keane, Koulibaly, Holgate, Godfrey, Branthwaite
MF: Allan, Doucoure, Davies, McGinn, Perreira, Gbamin
Forwards: Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison, Siggy, Diagne, Simms, James

How would a starting XI like this be?

Pickford
Emerson Godfrey Koulibaly Digne
Doucoure Allan McGinn
Perreira Calvert-Lewin Richarlison

With a back-up XI being:

Virginia/Olsen
Coleman Holgate Keane Nkounkou
Davies Gbamin Siggy
James Diagne Simms

Gary Willock
30 Posted 11/05/2021 at 13:09:47
Sticking to the “2 for every position” (well, nearly!) with a 4-2-3-1 x 2.

GK - Pickford / Romero
RB - Emerson / Coleman
RCB - Godfrey / Mina
LCB - Demiral / Keane
LB - Digne / Nkounkou (+ Small if he signs)
CM - Rabiot / Doucoure / Gbamin
CM - Allan / Davies / Gomes
RM - Pereira / Brooks
AM - James / Sigurdsson
LM - Richarlison / Danjuma / Gordon
ST - Calvert-Lewin / Aguero / Simms

Demiral and Rabiot in a swap for Kean. Romero and Aguero on a “free”. Fees for Emerson, Pereira, and the two young lads from Bournemouth if they don't come up.

If we can move the rest on, then bonus. If not, get the kids out on loan and that are emergency cover I guess.

Peter Warren
31 Posted 11/05/2021 at 14:12:04
It's nice to buy ready made players but surely the scouts need to identify the next big things. The only ones who have come through the door in about 10 years that I can remember are Lukaku, Deulofeu and Richarlison (and could be argued Ricky was ready made).

The red shite always seem to get good forwards at good prices, Mane, Firminho, Salah, the lad from Wolves. I don't think any of those players were unattainable. To be fair we tried with Moise Kean and I just hope we've identified more players of that type - ie potentially world class - whether known or unknown gems.

Jason Li
32 Posted 11/05/2021 at 14:24:36
Laurie @ 5 and Jay @ 21 - totally agree.

One outstanding playing from wide who adds 12-15 goals a season and this will also help Richie who needs service like Dom too. That's Richie coming in from the left like when Sidibe crossed them in.

We'd be top 4 with this one fantastic player added to our squad.

Maybe if any other cash comes in, a right back then another position. Holgate and Seamus could do it with less running next season if a top right sided player comes in as it stops the opposition left back coming too far as they will be scared of losing a foot race from the half way line.

Priority - brilliant winger like Harvey Barnes, Bailey, Traore etc.
2nd is Right back
After that wherever we are weak really.

Spend less money on kids who've never played senior football at any level. Branthwaite, Holgate, Stones, Lukaku, Calvert-Lewin, Kean all played professional football before we signed so we knew they had a good chance of being a player in a team in the top 10 in our league one day.

We can't keep shelling out and wasting scouts times on kids who play in the U18s around Europe. All the best U18s are in the professional leagues already, rarely are our scouts going to find a Premier League class 18-year-old in the Belgium U18s league as an example. If the recruitment team brings in an 18-year-old or above from outside the Premier League, they definitely should have played some games in a professonal league to be judged properly before handing over money.

Tom Bowers
33 Posted 11/05/2021 at 15:04:54
Some valid points and some not. It's all a matter of supposition and assumption.

A far as incoming players we have to assume that the cream (when available) will be looking for the top clubs first (Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea etc) and failing that, the best wages they can get elsewhere. It begs the question, what chance did Everton have in getting say, Cavani, for a season or two? No chance in my opinion.

Getting rid of some of the overpaid dregs that Everton are carrying is not so easy, hence all the loan-outs. Nobody wants to take on underachievers on high wages.

It's becoming more rare for the successful clubs to start promising youngsters or at least giving them an honest run in the team unless you are really something special, like Foden. These youngsters who know their own talent can become disgruntled and end up out on loan here, there and everywhere with some of them eventually disappearing from view, sad to say.

A lot also depends on the system that a manager wants to adopt which may not be suited for certain types of players who then remain on the fringe and only being used sparingly which doesn't do anything for their confidence.

Without doubt, Everton do need at least three class players coming in for next season but will it happen?

We can look to seeing the midfield improved especially as Gbamin may just be a continual sick-note player like Delph and possibly James.

Gomes, Davies and Iwobi are a little off the pace, in my opinion, as is Sigurdsson.

The attack is woefully short with just the two we have persevered with this season so that is for sure a position that has to be improved.

Carlo hasn't done to badly with and inconsistent squad but they still have a long way to go to be much more dominating.

Shane Corcoran
34 Posted 11/05/2021 at 15:19:59
Those wages stats can't be right: Calvert-Lewin on £20k, Holgate on £25k and Bernard on £120k?
Kieran Kinsella
35 Posted 11/05/2021 at 15:40:59
Shane

I am pretty sure DCL got a new deal about 18 months ago which took him up to 50K per week, but yeah Bernard is reported to be the highest paid player since we got him on a "free" his agent negotiated the wage up plus a 45 million release clause -- he must have been having a laugh.

Kevin Prytherch
36 Posted 11/05/2021 at 15:58:23
According to one website (don't know how reliable, but seems to be up to date), we have 12 players earning £100k or more.

If this is true, it makes a mockery of Brands being credited for reducing the wage bill.

Tony Abrahams
37 Posted 11/05/2021 at 16:02:08
Arsene Wenger said it won’t be long before there are no more transfer fees Kieran, and this makes a lot of sense, when you see how obscene the wages can become if clubs don’t have to pay a fee. I’m not stupid I'm aware Bernard, will have got a massive signing on fee, which will be spread over the length of his contract, but it’s highly unlikely he would have gotten such a good contract if Everton would have had to buy the player from another club?
Robert Tressell
38 Posted 11/05/2021 at 16:14:05
I think Brands and / or Ancelotti has said there'll be about 2 or 3 new first 11 players - and we'll probably get Olsen or Romero as reserve GK too. Might also get one or even two for the future like Sarr who Steve Shave mentions @ 25. He's only 18 so might be signed and loaned back to develop at Metz for another year.

Those 2 or 3 players will position the first XI as good as anyone outside of the very rich 4 of City, United, Chelsea and the RS. The cavalry might still be quite weak though.

If Spurs sell Kane or Son they start to look v ordinary. Arteta needs a good start to next season or will be sacked leaving Arsenal in a complete mess. Leicester may find themselves overstretched by Champions League demands.

So we would have an outside chance of top 4 but it would take the continued underperformance of better teams. And also WHU, Villa and Leeds must fancy their chances too after further recruitment.

I hope some of the names on various wish lists do come true.

Thomas Richards
39 Posted 11/05/2021 at 16:20:42
Kevin,

Four of them are on a tenner a week.
Evens it out

Dale Self
40 Posted 11/05/2021 at 16:58:58
I like the offerings from Ajay and Gary, very helpful and well organized. Feeling less retarded all the time.
Dave Bowen
41 Posted 12/05/2021 at 09:28:11
Ajay @ #29.

Olsen is highly unlikely to stay. Currently on loan from Roma and, due to that disgusting burglary at his home, he stated at the time, that he wanted to go back to Rome at the end of his loan. Hopefully he's changed his mind, because he's definitely made Pickford up his game and is a solid keeper in his own right.

Tony Everan
42 Posted 19/05/2021 at 17:01:42
We need goals and we need some character.

Kalvin Phillips CM no nonsense tough character, a really strong, very good footballer, proper engine, never gives up, a captain who will drive the team to glory 40m
Diaby to give us some pace goals and assists from the right 30m
Emerson, Strong athletic right back 20m
Buendia 30m tenacious goals assists forward thinking attacking midfielder with a bit of an attitude.

Oh bollocks, I’ve gone 10m over the budget. Mr Mosh, get yer cheque book out.

Tony Everan
43 Posted 19/05/2021 at 20:05:08
Or blow the budget with just 3 players,
Kalvin Phillips 40m,
Adama Traore 50m
Emerson 20m

Jon Harding
44 Posted 20/05/2021 at 15:04:10
I fear this is fantasy football stuff as we'll struggle to offload any players (bar Kean) this summer as they're all on big money contracts till at least 2022 and will not want to take a substantial pay cut playing elsewhere.

For example, £5M fee in for Bernard? He's on over that per annum and no one else will get close to matching it so he'll probably see the final year out on our bench.

We could pay him off now but that will cost us £5M and we'll lose his services. So that could be a £10M swing on any transfer kitty. Maybe Mosh is happy to spunk this £10M away but I'd be surprised with all the invoices he'll be getting from the builders merchants soon.

The same applies to Delph, Iwobi and Tosun. Even loan moves will see us cover the majority of their wages sadly.

Several contracts do expire in 2022 so hopefully then we'll see more revolution than evolution but don't get too excited ahead of this summer's transfer window, please, or disappointment will surely follow.

Robert Tressell
45 Posted 20/05/2021 at 15:23:53
Tony, unfortunately there is no way Kalvin Phillips would leave Leeds for Everton for £40M. Why would Leeds sell? Why would he join us?

Jon, I think Kean, Kenny and Bernard are the three we'd get a fee for. You're right about Bernard's wages but there were serious bids from the Middle East in January and I could see us getting up to £5M.

I agree with the rest. There's very little chance of other clubs spending good money on our crap.

Danny O’Neill
46 Posted 20/05/2021 at 15:42:32
Okay, back on this one but I too don't like the fantasy football thing as it never works that way.

Aarrons (going off others' recommendations on that one in honesty.

Koulibaly

Sabitzer

A striker. Can Kean come back and do a job??

I don't necessarily think its about offloading now. By and large we have or will have done that. That players remaining will be ones that by and large can finish around 8th. But they become backup. It's about what we build on top of that.

Kieran Kinsella
47 Posted 20/05/2021 at 15:56:08
Tony @43,

Emerson? The old Middlesborough fellow? Isn't he about 50 by now?

If I were to raid Leeds, I'd look at Rafinha or Harrison who I think is or was on loan from Man City?

Fran Mitchell
48 Posted 20/05/2021 at 16:31:14
Dwight McNeil would be a really good option. He has really come along and probably needs to move to step up a level. His value will only go one way also.

Joe Willock has also impressed at Newcastle and would be a good option in midfield. Maitland-Niles, and Conor Gallagher are other players who were out on loan and looked decent players.

Young talent like this is what we need in our squad.

Anderson, the centre-back at Fulham is another who looks a player, should we sell Holgate.

Bissouma and Aarons added to that list and the complextion of the squad is totally different.

A few young talents like this, then a couple of more experienced signings.

And flog Iwobi, Gomes, Bernard, Holgate, Delph and Kean (plus the rest of deadwood).

Robert Tressell
49 Posted 20/05/2021 at 16:49:22
Fran, you are coming round to my Leipzig way of thinking.

Could you imagine the difference with McNeil, Olise, Gallagher and Aarons in the squad? Pace, energy, movement, talent and an opportunity to step up. And all first team ready too.

The only difference is Leipzig tend not to pay more than £20m for a player which would rule out McNeil and Aarons - but £30 to £35m should do it.

Danny O’Neill
50 Posted 20/05/2021 at 17:11:38
Very good point about Leipzig, Robert. They've been very liberal in the transfer market in terms of outlay on players considering where they are.
James Flynn
51 Posted 20/05/2021 at 17:38:02
Talking of our players, this might be posted somewhere else in here.

Simms scored 2 in Blackpool's first-leg playoff victory over Oxford the other day. 2nd leg tomorrow:

Link

Stephen Vincent
52 Posted 20/05/2021 at 18:10:41
Add me to the list of Fantasy Football haters but the weather is shocking and I have bugger all else to do.

Don't think we need a keeper Pickford and Virginia will be fine.

JJK has 1 year left on his current deal and unless we are offered silly money for him I would keep him as back up for the new stellar RB we are going to sign. Would Emerson be a good choice? He is young fast but has only 1 season under his belt in Spain and has yet to make his full international debut for Brazil so there may be work permit issues. Aarons is the obvious choice but there would be huge competition and I imagine he will wind up going for close to £35m. Celik from Lille would be my pick, 24 and a full international. Dalot available on a free would be an acceptable option.

Wouldn't sign a CB. Godfrey, Mina, Keane, Holgate, Branthwaite, Gibson, may prove good enough. It is a position we can afford to shelve for a season.

Similarly LB well covered. Digne, Nkounkou, Small.

What we do with the midfield is anyone's guess. Defensively I think we may be OK but I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise. What we need is pace. I too like Pereira at West Brom. Calhanoglou from Milan on a free (although we all know it won't be really), Dwight McNeil from Burnley and a bit left field Harrison Reed from Fulham, really impressed when Fulham beat us at GP and a friend who is a Fulham season ticket holder tells me he is the one they would keep above all others. I think we need to bear in mind that Allan only has one season as a starter left in him and we need to groom a replacement, seriously hope it can be Tom Davies. Marcel Sabitzer from RB Leipzig is a possibility 1 year left on his deal, €50m buy out though may prove problematic. Would keep Siggy although no new contract. Haven't seen any reason this season to want to retain Delph or Iwobi.

Up front, need to persuade DCL not to believe all the hype about himself and I hope Richy stays and has a great season next year so that we can get something approaching his true value, because we sure as hell won't if we sell this summer. I would go for Grady Diangana at West Brom, West Ham fans up in arms when he went last summer and when I've seen him he looks really good and swift, Fat Sam clearly doesn't rate him. Ivan Toney from Brentford is a definite possibility especially if DCL jumps ship. We also will have Tosun for another 12 months, unless WBA will take him in part ex. Ellis Simms needs to step up, he has the physique and the loan at Blackpool has brought him on. Leon Bailey would be my number 1 choice for RW although he will not be cheap. Anthony Gordon returning should be retained. Moise Kean can go to PSG for €50m and Bernard to wherever.

As for James - don't think Everton have ever had a more frustrating player. Undoubtedly a genius with a football at his feet but can we afford someone who will only play 20 games a season and gets left out of the side because he is 'fatigued' having played 60 mins in a month!!!!! Could we get a fee for him?

CA will not want the youngsters we all are proposing and I fear we will end up with the likes of Isco and Coutinho to add to James and Allan.

Did someone suggest Aguero - yeah right, in Carlo's dreams maybe.

So there it is my 20 mins as Marcel Brands.