The things I love about Everton

by   |   09/08/2020  76 Comments  [Jump to last]

Go easy on me — it’s the first time I’ve posted in the mailbag!

I’m sitting in the hospital with my Everton made 5-year-old son, decked out in his Everton kit! He fell off monkey bars and broke his arm...

I’m sitting reading ToffeeWeb and getting more and more depressed so we decided to cheer him (and me) up by listing all the things we love about Everton. Here’s what we came up with in 5 minutes:

The Everton Crest
Seeing Goodison Park on the horizon
Visiting St Luke’s Church before the game
Andy King's goal
Most games in top flight
Amokachi's semi-final
Tim Cahill celebration
Big Duncan's headers vs Man Utd
Sheedy’s free-kicks
Baines’s free-kicks
Peter Reid (he sent him a good luck tweet!)
Neville Southall
Rooney’s First goal
Rooney’s West-Ham goal
Singing at away games
It’s A Grand Old Team song
Z-Cars
Goodson Park
Amber away kit (I had to buy him one as he broke his arm!)
Howard’s Way
Dixie Dean
My 1990s Everton scrapbook
My Kevin Ratcliffe jersey on my living room wall
Seeing an Evertonian abroad
Asking any scouser we meet "Are you an Evertonian?"
Richarliason song (minus the f-word!)
Neville Southall – best keeper ever
Dixie Dean – best striker ever
Holy Trinity
EitC
Calling RS fans plastic
1984
1985
1987
1995
Best club in the world. My boy's words!

Add if I’ve missed anything!

Thanks!

Steve and Joseph Brown

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (76)

Dave Abrahams
1 Posted 09/08/2020 at 20:40:36
Steve, nice long list, you're bringing your boy up in the best possible way. I hope he has plenty of happy Blue days in the future.

Most of all, Joseph, I hope your arm mends quickly. Best of luck in the future.

Mike Allison
2 Posted 11/08/2020 at 18:25:12
Andy Hinchcliffe’s corners
David Nicholls
3 Posted 11/08/2020 at 18:54:48
That moment a Z-Cars ringtone goes off in the club shop causing 50 people to simultaneously reach for their pockets
Kieran Kinsella
4 Posted 11/08/2020 at 18:54:55
My favorite thing is match day. Don't see a lot of Evertonians where I live so I feel at home with hordes before kick-off.
Jay Harris
5 Posted 11/08/2020 at 19:12:58
Stephen,

So good that your first post is a positive one.

We certainly needed that on TW and we certainly need it at Goodison Park next season.

Hope your lad gets better soon and gets that rattle out or whatever the kids use now. LOL!

My favorite thing is a few pints before the game and watching the crowds making their way to the gates and feeling proud to be an Evertonian.

Mike Gaynes
6 Posted 11/08/2020 at 19:16:22
Joseph, feel better soon... and Dad, great idea.

My choices:

Tim Cahill's headers
Rideout's Cup winner
Jags' extraordinary Anfield equalizer (I hurdled the couch)
Oviedo at the back post at Old Trafford (I sorta cried)
Kev Johnson's photos of me at Goodison
Shaking Bainesy's hand
Bainesy's last goal
My TW mob at the Midland - love ya all
Rooney against Arsenal
Tim Howard's class - declining to celebrate his goal
Sheedy's double free kick
Osman's goal against Larissa
Stones' top-corner penalty chip against Juventus
The Dixie Dean statue

Mike Gaynes
7 Posted 11/08/2020 at 19:19:00
David #3, your comment put me on the floor. Outstanding.
Brent Stephens
8 Posted 11/08/2020 at 19:29:50
The first home game of a new season in a warm August sun. That sense of increasing anticipation as you get closer to the ground, with equally excited blues who you just know feel the same way – both the young kids and us old “kids”.

Getting up the stairs in the stand and seeing the immaculate pitch. The heightened expectation around the new signings. The noise reaching a crescendo as the ref puts his whistle to his lips to blow for kick-off.

Seeing Bill with a tear in his eye as he looks to where the Boys Pen used to be.

Paul Jones
9 Posted 11/08/2020 at 19:54:54
No words from me can do this justice:

Sharpie

Tony Abrahams
10 Posted 11/08/2020 at 20:00:37
Don't spoil the thread, Brent. Stephen and Joseph need cheering up, mate. And I hope the little fella is gonna be okay, Stephen!
Stephen Brown
11 Posted 11/08/2020 at 20:10:12
Joseph says thanks for the well wishes!! He had a birthday card from Carlo today too so that cheered him up!!

He also asked the nurse for a Royal Blue colour plaster!!

"Why's that?" she said!

"For Everton, of course"!!!!

Brent Stephens
12 Posted 11/08/2020 at 20:16:11
Stephen, that card from Carlo must have hit the spot! Wonderful.
Chris Leyland
13 Posted 11/08/2020 at 20:58:55
Mike Gaynes – my favourite part of the Oviedo goal at Old Trafford is Coleman afterwards not knowing which way to run in celebration.

I also loved the fact that it was late on in the game and both our full-backs are in their penalty area.

Steve Shave
14 Posted 11/08/2020 at 21:03:45
Get well soon little man.

Duncan snarling.
Rooney showboating aged 16.
Gary Speed swashbuckling from centre-mid (oh to have him in his pomp now).
Agree on Hinchcliffe's corners.
Bringing on academy players for their debut.
James Vaughan against Palace.
Stuart McCall's cup final equaliser from 20 yards.
Last day of season relegation saviour.
Paul Rideout's header in the final.
Dogs of war.
André Gomes's hair and passing when on song.
Tommy Graveson's two-footed challenges.
Kanchelskis tearing down the wing.
Cottee hat-trick.
Mikel vs Fiorentina (and for that matter any other time he touched the ball in our shirt, bloody loved him).
Bainaar telepathy...
And the siren leading us into a Z-Cars charge.
Ray Roche
15 Posted 11/08/2020 at 21:14:30
David @4

Your Z-Cars ring tone going off miles from Liverpool and some bloke you've never seen before looks up and you just know. He's a Blue.

Fran Mitchell
17 Posted 11/08/2020 at 21:14:33
The Mikel Arteta chant.
Ferguson's header vs Man Utd.
Phil Neville's tackle on Ronaldo.
Gosling's FA cup goal vs the shite.
Jagielka's screamer vs Utd.
Rooney vs Arsenal.
The sense of excitement over James Vaughan (such an unfortunate lad)
Those beautiful 18 months of Andrei Kanchelskis.
Ironically shouting 'Hit It' whenever Hibbo had the ball in the opposite half
Hibbo scoring in his testimonial.
Osman in Europe.
But more than anything, the atmosphere of walking up to the stadium after 4 pints in 50 minutes before the game.
Joe McMahon
18 Posted 11/08/2020 at 21:17:08
Steve, yes the Bainaar telepathy!

Also FA Cup Semi at Elland Rd v Spurs, what an atmosphere.

The 2 Andy Gray goals in the best Everton league performace I've seen: 4-1 vs Sunderland (a few mins late getting in and missed the Sunderland goal -– gotta laugh)

Joe Royle, 4-2-4 with Limpar and Kanchelskis on the wings, and winning ... YES, winning at Anfield.

Tim Howard's "Rocker" image

Pissed in the students union watching the 1995 FA Cup Final on a cinema screen, Red Stripe was 50p a can.

Andy Peers
19 Posted 11/08/2020 at 21:19:00
Latchford's 30
Mark Murphy
20 Posted 11/08/2020 at 21:26:57
The Blue Streak disgorging thousands of blues on away days.
Our away support is the best in the land!
Tony McNulty
21 Posted 11/08/2020 at 22:00:53
Live forum on ToffeeWeb
Barry Rathbone
22 Posted 11/08/2020 at 22:09:01
My long term memory isn't what it was so quite a toughie this one but stuffing Man Utd at Old Trafford was quite nice.
Stephen Vincent
23 Posted 11/08/2020 at 22:46:17
1. Bayern Munich.

2. First team to win a European Cup penalty shoot out vs Moenchengladbach at Goodison, going mad when Andy Rankin saved.

3. Wolfsburg away.

Not intentionally all German.

Richard Duff
24 Posted 11/08/2020 at 22:54:44
Teaching any International business colleagues about the origins of Everton, the milestones and influence on the modern game (triangular corner flags anyone!) and the titles won at Anfield.

How theire faces drop when they realise that the Liverpool legend is a sham and we are the creation of Jupiter and the Solar System whereas they are a mere thunderstorm during a heatwave.

Duncan's wristband with Howard's watch. You just don't get that anywhere else.

Mike Gaynes
25 Posted 11/08/2020 at 23:04:25
What a great thread this is. Keep it going, boys and girls.

Chris #13, I also loved Lukaku (with that hair) sprinting away to the opposite corner as if his scuffed shot had been a pass. I loved all those Man Utd fans looking like they'd sat on a barbed-wire suppository (I hate that club). But most of all, I loved that it was Oviedo, because deep down a small part of me still believes that Moyes was aware of Oviedo because of my posts about him here on TW the year before we signed him. I know it's not true (probably) but I loved that player anyway.

And, like the werewolf drinking the Piña Colada at Trader Vic's, his hair was perfect.

Stephen Vincent
27 Posted 12/08/2020 at 00:47:46
Going to Mr Dennehys when in New York for a brilliant breakfast and a Guinness and the game if the lads are playing on Sunday.
Derek Thomas
28 Posted 12/08/2020 at 01:39:59
What I love about Everton? Wasted seasons and false dawns... just can't get enough of those wasted seasons and false dawns – love 'em me.

Mind you, the wasted seasons and false dawns we get now are only a pale shadow of the ones we had when the Main Stand had a gable on and the cushions would rain down, casting multiple shadows from the 4 floodlight pylons and the only gold was from the smoke of rolled Golden Virginia tobacco – not Gold Bentleys.

Or, besides all that good stuff above... and no doubt soon to be below my post – What have Everton ever done for us???

Kieran Kinsella
29 Posted 12/08/2020 at 01:49:05
Mike Gaynes 25

I always wondered about your support for Oviedo. You never know... maybe Moyes or one of his surrogates read your posts.

I tell myself the same thing happens with me, only Howard Kendall realized I was an idiot so he never followed my advice on Tony Philliskirk etc, so all the crap players we never signed were thanks to me.

Sadly, I stopped making suggestions about signings just before Steve Walsh came along.

Mike Gaynes
30 Posted 12/08/2020 at 03:59:53
Kieran, maybe you should start again. You never know who might be watching.

Steve Shave
31 Posted 12/08/2020 at 08:09:44
Mike, let's hope your other prophecy (McKennie) materialises and is even more of a cult hero for us Blues. I've been doing a fair bit of research on him since you suggested him; I like the look of him.
Paul Tran
32 Posted 12/08/2020 at 08:22:38
Get well soon, Joseph!

Here's mine, though I could be here all day with this:

My first game. The sights, smells, language, noise and my first sight of the bright green pitch under the lights.

The raining cushions.

Davey Thomas flying down the left wing, knowing wherever he crossed it, Big Bob would shoot or head it home.

Mick Lyons's late equaliser against Aston Villa at Old Trafford.

Varadi scoring in that wonderful FA Cup derby, running to the Enclosure and getting a pie thrown in his face.

That wonderful film of the Holte End exploding with joy when Sheedy equalised against Luton.

The gallows humour. Best was on the way to the 2nd leg of the semi-final at Aston Villa. We were 2-0 up. In the car to Birmingham, I asked 'What do you think, boys?' '3-0 to Villa after extra time!' was the instant reply.

The memories of 1983-86, travelling from Portsmouth to watch a dreadful team transform to half-decent then great in what seemed like the blink of an eye.

Paul Birmingham
33 Posted 12/08/2020 at 09:03:50
Great idea for this thread to instill some optimism for the next campaign.

As with many have written already, but the rank stench and smells, especially in the days of Higsons; queuing up to be first in the Street as a kid; various League Cup and FA cup quarterfinals, semi-finals, Cup Winners Cup, and finals are eternal memories,

Mick Lyons, he set the bar for passion and commitment to the Everton cause; Bob Latchford's goals, Dave Thomas, Colin Todd and Mick Pejic. Dobbo's, screamer at Anfield, taking the game to the RS and beating them at their place,

Bunking into Highbury on several occasions, seeing us win there; Wayne Clarke's chip, Alan Harper's screamers at Chelsea, Big Neville's miracle saves in the great years, the sight of masses walking up to Goodison from Kirkdale and down County Road, and away days on the ordinary and seeing masses of Evertonians going the game.

So many great goals, preseason tours watching Everton, home and away, before I settled down.

Using my work pass to get into Old Nick's place, when I'd not been able to get a ticket (alas, I can't do it anymore), charity dos at The Adelphi, great nights, Echo Arena, and as many have said, your away somewhere, and you see another Evertonian with a shirt or ringtone going off, or driving and you see an EFC registration plate.

The most enduring is the resilient staunch belief of Evertonians, during the most barren and often lacklustre spells in the club's history. Christ must know, this must change soon.

You know you can have a few beers and healthy debate about all matters Everton and football. As we say, it's the hope, joyous hope of better days for EFC that kills you.

Bill Watson
34 Posted 12/08/2020 at 11:27:37
Best wishes to Joseph for a speedy recovery, Stephen.

I brought my son up the same way but, somehow, he ended up as a season ticket holder on the Kop. I obviously lack parenting skills!

There were positives, though, as I saved a fortune on replica kits and season tickets!

Rob Halligan
35 Posted 12/08/2020 at 12:12:53
Probably too many to mention, but best of all, "Born a blue, live a blue, die a blue". Thank God I'm not a RS as the thought makes me sick.
Stephen Vincent
36 Posted 12/08/2020 at 13:01:21
Like Joseph, I was at A&E yesterday and now have a pot on my left leg. Your Talking Point really made me quite emotional and as you can see I have already posted twice on this thread.

Everton is the story of our lives. I don't need diaries to remember what I did – I have 'Everton a complete record'.

But I just wanted to encourage young Joseph, my son, who is grown up now, but was born after the glory years of the 80s, is a passionate blue.

One of the best days ever, even though we lost, was the Chelsea cup final. I remember sitting next to my son at Wembley, watching the Blues walking out and thinking 'It doesn't get any better than this' and then going mad when Saha scored!

So Joseph, keep the faith you will have some amazing times and make many life long friends supporting EFC.

Paul Birmingham
37 Posted 12/08/2020 at 13:30:03
More importantly Joseph, I hope your broken arm heals well, and keep supporting Everton.
Stephen Brown
38 Posted 12/08/2020 at 13:48:36
Some great comments on here! Thanks, Joseph is really pleased and on the mend!

It’s great having so many like minded Evertonians in one place! We all get it don’t we!

Although they don’t make it easy at times we will be behind the team to create many new memories when the new season starts!

Great to hear so many things you all love about our team!

Phill Thompson
39 Posted 12/08/2020 at 13:52:54
Watching a young Joe Royle run out at Goodison with his sleeves rolled up at his elbows and knowing he meant business.

Alan Ball skipping over the turf in his white boots.

Hitching home after the Monchengladbach penalty win cos it was so late my last train had gone.

Big Nev sitting down against the goalpost, cos that's what Big Nev did and it was okay.

Having a player so good he was called “The Golden Vision”.

John McFarlane Snr
40 Posted 12/08/2020 at 15:13:46
Hi Stephen [38] at the age of 82 I'm afraid that I don't have the time to list my memories both good and bad, but tell young Joseph that he can look forward to a lifetime of his own memories. The enduring ones will be the shiver down the spine when the team enters the fray to the tune of Z-Cars, and the splendour of Goodison, particularly on the floodlit occasions, both things still affect me greatly. I wish him all the best and hope that he doesn't have long to wait for the sweet taste of success.
Dave Abrahams
41 Posted 12/08/2020 at 15:22:28
Just reading Johnie Macs post at (40), and I’ll tell you what Joseph,you are going to one cracking Bluenose, you have already beat me and John by starting earlier than we did going to see “The Blues”, five years of age, brilliant that mate and getting a card off Marco, well I’m dead jealous of you already!!!
Billy Bradshaw
42 Posted 12/08/2020 at 15:49:51
3 o'clock kick-offs Saturday only.
Mike Gaynes
43 Posted 12/08/2020 at 15:59:16
I need to add two items to my list.

John McFarlane Senior and Dave Abrahams.

The privilege of spending just a bit of time with each of them and soaking up their wonderful memories.

Brent Stephens
44 Posted 12/08/2020 at 16:01:30
Stephen “Go easy on me — it’s the first time I’ve posted in the mailbag!“

Well, as a first mailbag post, it’s resulted in a great thread. Good man, Stephen. Tell you what, how about getting young Master Brown to submit a piece for the mailbag. Say, about how he got into Everton, his thoughts about this thread, his likes and dislikes about football and Everton etc. A ToffeeWeb poster in the making maybe.

Brent Stephens
45 Posted 12/08/2020 at 16:04:18
PS maybe we could encourage more young blues to post. How about a ToffeeWeb Boys Pen for them?!

No, Dave Abrahams, your “young” Tony doesn’t qualify!

Stephen Brown
46 Posted 12/08/2020 at 16:06:45
Brent,

A good idea. I'll get young Joseph onto it over the coming days/weeks! I'll have to give him a hand obviously!

I think a young bluenose splash of positivity would be a very welcome addition to this great site!

Brent Stephens
47 Posted 12/08/2020 at 16:14:42
Stephen, I would find it really interesting to hear what the young lads think about everything – football in general, Everton, other teams, VAR, away games (I see a few wee ones at away games – would you believe I had to correct that as originally I mistyped it to read “I've seen a few wee”!!), new signings etc etc.

Michael and Lyndon could institute a Young Poster of the Season award!

Alan J Thompson
48 Posted 12/08/2020 at 16:15:44
Never, ever having won a bet or a penny betting on Everton to the point now that I won't even consider it. Somebody mentioned those warm sunny afternoons at the match and in the days before all seating it was most definitely the roar of the greasepaint and the smell of the crowd.
Bill Gall
49 Posted 12/08/2020 at 19:10:06
My feelings are that no matter your age or were you live the urge is always there to go to Goodison Park for a game. My start was in 1952 when I played as a schoolboy on Goodison Park. From there I went the usual route from boys pen to Glady's Street End and then as a season ticket holder in the Paddock.

Emigrated to Canada in 1976 to Saskatchewan on the prairies, and to my disappointment there was no results in any of the newspapers. This resulted in heavy phone bills finding out what the results were.

Came back home in October for a month and while going to the home and away games contacted the Echo office and paid for the delivery of the Football Pink Echo expecting a weekly delivery, more disappointment it came once a month with 4 copies.

Not giving up I tried a short wave radio the only problem was finding a reception with the aerial, solved that problem in a steel building the farmers stored their equipment in.

Problem no heating and in the winter in Saskatchewan average of minus 30 meant huddled around a radio with a fire in a steel drum.

Wasn't all bad always still came home for a holiday every couple of years after checking the schedule for the end of Sept the beginning of October. Moved to the East Coast of Canada in 1985 got the results in the paper but no write up. Finally in 1995 Premier League games on TV – get to watch your team on TV as long as they were playing Man Utd. Now every game is available.

Highlights. 1966 final, plus the world cup games at Goodison Park. All the games I managed to see home and away up to 1976. 1988 30 October Everton v Man Utd. tour of the stadium, pass for the players lounge, after the game, talked to Tony Cottee, he scored the winning goal, I think it was his first goal at Goodison.

Talking to Harry Catterick on a couple of occasions when he presented trophies for the Liverpool Sunday League at the Grafton.

Still after the highs and lows cant wait to see Everton on TV, still get excited or pissed off, but would never miss a game if I can see it. I hope to get back next February for a wedding and see a couple of games but with this pandemic who knows what will happen. As they say, it doesn't matter how you get there, what matters is you were born to be there.

Dave Abrahams
50 Posted 12/08/2020 at 20:33:25
Bill (49), I went to loads of those schoolboy cup finals at Goodison and Anfield, summer nights at the end of the season, usually two games on the same night, so do me a favour and tell me what school you played for and the team you played, there is a good chance I saw that game.

Those games drew some good attendances, one match stood out, a fierce local derby game, St Anthony's versus St Sylvester's, with over 8,000 attending the game. Silly won and paraded the cup down Scotland Road right past St Anthony's church, it didn't go down too well with the parishioners of St Anthony's!!!

Terry White
51 Posted 12/08/2020 at 20:40:06
Bill (#49), Tony Cottee scored 3 on his debut in the 1988-89 season. First game of the season vs Newcastle. He did score in the game you mention vs Man Utd, a 1-1 draw sadly, not the winning goal, and he had scored 6 in total for us before that game.
Bill Gall
52 Posted 12/08/2020 at 22:56:11
Dave #50,

I played for Abbotsford Road at left-back even though I was right-footed. I remember we got a medal it was the size of a threepenny bit. I think all the spectators were in the Park End. What impressed me was we changed in the home dressing room, and that was a little different from changing in Walton Hall Park

Can't remember the team we played against and I think we won either 2-0 or 2-1.

Peter Mills
53 Posted 12/08/2020 at 23:06:24
The thing I love about Everton?

Everton supporters. Every man, woman and child of them.

Steve Brown
54 Posted 13/08/2020 at 05:21:55
Duncan's McKenzie's dribbling in the centre circle v Stoke. Poetry in motion on a mud pile.

He would thrive in the modern game for sure.

Steve Brown
55 Posted 13/08/2020 at 05:22:54
Dave Evans
56 Posted 13/08/2020 at 07:43:39
A couple of old dears taking their seat on the train up from Euston:

"We're surrounded by football supporters."

My young son at the time: "No you're not, we support Everton."

Darren Hind
57 Posted 13/08/2020 at 08:06:12
My next door neighbour played for St Anthony's in that game Dave. He always maintained they were robbed

Being in such close proximity the payers on both sides knew each other very well. The rivalry was friendly, but as you say it was fierce.

Years later he got very sick and I went to see him in the Royal. One of the silly players was in the same ward as him. They had the nurses in stitches because they were still arguing about

Chris Barnes
58 Posted 13/08/2020 at 08:37:29
Tony Hibbert's goal & celebration!!

Hope the arm mends quickly, Joseph.

Really good article, Stephen, I enjoyed the read.

Tony Abrahams
59 Posted 13/08/2020 at 08:56:10
I can't believe you never gave us McKenzie's flick over Tommy Smith's head on a real mud bath, Steve!
Dave Abrahams
60 Posted 13/08/2020 at 09:00:06
Bill (52), Abbotsford Road, know it well, live about five minutes from it now, the school is still going. Unfortunately, I doubt if I went to the game you played in. I bet you've still got that medal you won. A great night for you. Happy days from long ago and much more peaceful.
Tony Abrahams
61 Posted 13/08/2020 at 09:21:54
Reading back, what a story that is, Bill G. The things we will do to find out about Everton are really incredible. Keeps us alive, even in despair, a connection like no other. 👍
Steve Brown
62 Posted 13/08/2020 at 10:03:36
Tony @ 59, I am going to search that right now! Smith was so bitter he refused to give Duncan MotM for the Stoke performance on Kick-Off.
Steve Brown
63 Posted 13/08/2020 at 10:23:53
Link

Here you go Tony - 7:01 into the video. Scored one, made one!

Patrick McFarlane
64 Posted 13/08/2020 at 12:05:30
Linked below is from Falkirk FC asking if Alex Parker is the greatest ever player that they had, I'm too young to have seen him, but I thought it might be of interest to those that did.

Best Ever Bairn?

I think Goodison Park has been the biggest constant as to why I love Everton, there isn't any footballing place in the country that can match it for the atmosphere it can generate or the sense of belonging and history that it imbues, it will be a wrench when we eventually leave the old lady behind.

Tony Abrahams
65 Posted 13/08/2020 at 16:07:32
Brilliant Steve, no wonder McDermott chipped Lawson though, watch how far out of his goal he was earlier when Fairclough fell over when about to shoot!

Still rankles with Evertonians that game, and Lawson reminds me of Pickford. He made a great save to keep us in the game, but he looks to little in his goal, and making great saves is only a small percentage of being a good keeper.

Organising your defence, and remaining calm, helps defenders more, let’s hope Pickford starts maturing?

Dave Ganley
66 Posted 13/08/2020 at 18:31:26
Excellent thread, well needed after all the depressing stuff and arguing on this site recently.

I finally got round to watching Howard's Way recently and it totally ignited my love for Everton again.

Being an eternal optimist
Definitley Andy King's goal
The 80s, an amazing time being an Evertonian
Being in the Gwladys Street End in a rearranged game against the RS after we had already won the title, singing "Hand it over, Liverpool"
Kevin Campbell's goal at the khazi across the park
Dan Gosling's goal
Many many other moments but as others have said, when Z-Cars comes on as the players take the field, hairs on the back of the neck standing up.
The atmosphere on big night games, nothing like it.

Hope Joseph heals soon.

Joe McMahon
67 Posted 13/08/2020 at 20:09:29
Patrick McFarlane, I'm sure many teams could say the same although Munich in 85 was something. Having been to a Manchester derby (donkeys year ago) being in the Kippax when City scored was pretty incredible also.
Patrick McFarlane
68 Posted 13/08/2020 at 21:01:55
Joe #66

They might well – but, as far as I'm concerned, they'd be wrong!

Bill Gall
69 Posted 13/08/2020 at 23:52:07
Dave #60,

I don't know how I ended up at Abbotsford Road as I lived in Scarisbrick Road and other kids around us including my younger brother went to Florence Melly.

The medal went missing when I moved to Canada along with other stuff. We had moved to Kirkby before we left and, like other mementos, it went missing during moving.

Dave Abrahams
70 Posted 14/08/2020 at 10:48:11
Bill (69), pity about the medal, but I don’t know how you moved to Canada after seeing Kirkby!!!
Bill Gall
71 Posted 14/08/2020 at 14:36:01
Dave #70,

Surprisingly we didn't find Kirkby to bad, the problem was the high unemployment rate in 1976 and I couldn't see a future for the kids. I received a letter to go down to Canada house in London for an interview and I said to the wife, let's go down for the weekend, they never hire you as there are so many applicants.

To cut a long story short we went down I had a couple of interviews and wrote an exam, and we had 1 more interview with a personnel manager who just said when can you start.

That was near the end of April and by the end of June we were in Canada.

Dave Abrahams
72 Posted 14/08/2020 at 20:24:36
Bill (71), yes I was mostly tongue in cheek over Kirkby. Most of the people I know from Kirkby are good genuine people who came from the Liverpool suburbs and moved during the 1960s exodus from around the city. It seems you made a good move and changed your life but took Everton with you to Canada and never let go.
Paul Tran
73 Posted 14/08/2020 at 21:03:53
Don't start me on Lawson, Tony #65. First goal he was so far off his line, begging McDermott to chip him. Second goal he came and flapped at a cross and they scored from the rebound. Then there was Nicholls' equaliser at Old Trafford when we were 1-0 up and coasting. He hit it at 9:00, it went in at 9:05. Every time I see that, I don't know how it passed him.

I still think that side was a good keeper short being serious challengers at least.

As for Pickford, if we can get a decent fee, I'd sell.

Simon Dalzell
74 Posted 15/08/2020 at 00:15:05
The humility and selflessness of a Blue. Especially compared to the typically arrogant, pretentious, often violent, loud mouth, win at any cost etc etc Red Shite scum of the earth.

Ahh, that feels better.

David Currie
75 Posted 17/08/2020 at 02:01:57
As a 6-year-old going to my first game at Goodison and all I could see were white socks but the noise was so loud and of course hearing Z-Cars for the first time.

At Elland Road for FA Cup Replay and Bob Latchford's equaliser, the Everton Fans and noise was amazing.

Being locked out at Goodison with my Dad in 1981 in FA Cup replay 5th or 6th round, and refusing to follow my Dad back to the car to listen on radio; they opened the gates near the end and I rushed in and got to see last few minutes and the whole of extra time and Eamonn O'Keefe's winner in the Gwladys Street end The drive home to Burnley that night was special and my late Dad was so happy that I got to see the extra time.

Seeing us beat the RS in 1978 with that Andy King goal, my first Derby win.

All the games at Goodison are special but the night games are incredible, lucky I was there in 85 for the Bayern game.

1984 FA Cup final, 1985 night game at Spurs where we won 2-1 and knew we would win the League.

Rotterdam What a night!

1987 League Winners again.

Seeing us win the FA Cup in 95.

Get well soon, Joseph, and hope you can see us win something soon. My 17-year-old son has not yet seen us win silverware but I keep telling him that I was 20 before I saw Rats lift the Cup in 1984.

Good Luck to you and your wonderful Dad.

Lenny Kingman
76 Posted 19/08/2020 at 06:46:02
Derek Temple's supreme skill, cool run and exquisitely placed shot for the winner in the greatest final in 1966.
David Hamilton
77 Posted 01/09/2020 at 10:05:15
Alex Young
Paul Thomas
78 Posted 20/09/2020 at 11:37:50
Good list Steve,

Found myself nodding to everyone.

Sometimes the simplest emails, things I love about Everton, are the best.

Could add loads myself but I'll just put the one.

95 Cup Final song. . . Altogether now