1963 League title special song recorded

by   |   31/10/2020  12 Comments  [Jump to last]

Dear Toffeeweb, do any of your readers have any info or memories about the song that the 1963 League winning team recorded at Phillips Sound Recording Service in Kensington, Liverpool?

Percy Phillips recorded team members along with a professional singer, doing 2 songs on a 7-inch single. The songs were, E-V-E-R-T-O-N, which was specially written, and side 2 was a version of 'Men Of Harlech'. The recordings sound great but they're not mentioned in any lists of Everton songs.

This was also the first ever football pop song recorded in the UK, so the Club should be justly proud of it. I have a copy of the disc, which is in a specially printed cover with autographs of the whole squad.

All the best, Peter Phillips.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (12)

Dennis Stevens
1 Posted 01/11/2020 at 10:07:24
According to Discogs the b-side was "Everton For Me" - I suppose this is set to the tune of "Men of Harlech", as per your comment above.
Gerard McKean
2 Posted 01/11/2020 at 12:03:10
You evoked nice memories for me there, Peter. If this is the song with words like: "They come from Garston, Woolton, they come from Dingle, too, they come from all of Merseyside to cheer the Boys in Blue," then I had a copy of that disc, too. Sadly I no longer have it as I played it to death!
Dave Abrahams
3 Posted 01/11/2020 at 12:12:39
Gerard (2), yes Gerard that is the song, I thing that line you quoted also included “ They come from parts of Huyton to cheer the boys in blue” I had that record too,God knows where it is now. Happy days!!!
Barry Rathbone
4 Posted 01/11/2020 at 13:02:28
Need the songs uploaded to youtube for a greater audience. With our historic Welsh connections quite surprised we haven't utilised the incomparable Welsh anthems more.
Peter Mills
5 Posted 01/11/2020 at 19:35:42
I remember the song well, it was constantly on the record player at my Grandad’s when we visited on a Sunday.

I think the first verse went:-
“There’s West (or was it, for some strange reason, Rankin?) and Parker, Wilson, there’s Gabriel and Labone, there’s Kay and Scott and Stevens they’re the pride of Everton
Young, Pickering, Vernon, Temple (yes, that’s 12 players) and victory’s there for sure, plus 70,000 Everton fans who roar and roar and roar.”

That collection of players, if I’ve got them correct, would, I think, nail the date of recording to some time in early 1964.

Something nags away that the singer was Scottish.

I’m happy to be corrected.

Phil Parker
6 Posted 02/11/2020 at 01:18:24
Hello Peter, I met you at the Beatles convention, introduced you to Johnny Hutchinson. I have the record, going by the players on the label it was probably recorded around April 1964. Mick Meagan is on the label and Ray Wilson isn't, they were involved in a swap deal in July 1964. Fred Pickering is on it, he was signed in March 1964.
We are very proud of it! John Dunbar the soloist. He recorded a song with Glasgow Rangers as well, may also have been in 64.
Gerard McKean
7 Posted 02/11/2020 at 16:51:35
You know, Peter #5, I think you're absolutely correct: for some reason he sang of Rankin rather than West, and you have reminded me how as a young Blue how stirring I found that reference to "70,000 Everton fans who roar and roar and roar!"

Barry #4, you're quite right, we should dig out some of those old songs and anthems and get them re-cycled. Dave #3 (hope you are keeping well), I was quite jealous that my area of "all of Merseyside" didn't get a mention, but then again Speke doesn't scan as well as those that are mentioned. I'll tell you what though there was never an empty seat on any bus going out of Speke on a matchday, whether it was the 81 or the 500 or linking up with the football special from the depot in Garston, which were all direct, or just any bus that took us to within about 4 miles' walk of Goodison!

Actually Dave, you could probably suggest some songs to Barry? My father and his father had come back from the great wars and their generation of Evertonians adapted some of the nostalgic tunes they remembered such as "Bless 'em all" which they turned into a tribute to every member of the team, or "It's a long way to Tipperary", which became "a long way to Wembley Stadium." Younger Blues might be baffled to references such as "Good-bye Upper Parly, farewell Clayton Square"! As you say, Dave, happy days indeed!

Chris Williams
8 Posted 02/11/2020 at 17:20:10
I got in touch with my mate Steve who now lives in Arizona. I recalled him playing the record in his parlour in Pendleton Road, Walton.

He recalls the record going, similar to the above as
Rankin, Brown And Parker, Gabriel And Labone
There’s Kay and Scott and Stevens
They’re the pride of Everton

Young, Pickering, Vernon, Temple
And then something about the gallant Everton

He also is cursing me because he can’t get the song out of his head.

I recall a Scottish flavour and a simple piano backing, but could be wrong.

He also played me Smokestack Lightnin by Howling Wolf, and that had a bigger impact!

Dennis Stevens
9 Posted 02/11/2020 at 18:09:55
Looking at the labels on Discogs, Rankin is on the A-side along with Brown, Harris, Gabriel, Labone, Kay, Scott, Stevens, Pickering, Vernon, Temple. Whereas the B-side label features West, Parker, Meagan, Gabriel, Hislop, Kay, Scott, Stevens, Young, Vernon, Temple. The site also has images of the picture sleeve, both front & back.
Alex Kociuba
10 Posted 02/11/2020 at 18:15:29
There's one of them:

Dave Abrahams
11 Posted 02/11/2020 at 21:24:02
Gerard (7)I’m keeping fine thanks, hope the same goes for yourself.

Those songs which were turned into Everton Anthems I remember them well but can’t think of any others although “ It’s a grand old team to play for” which I think belongs to Celtic FC, I first heard it sang at Anfield and Goodson by the supporters of St. Anthony’s school when their team played there, I think possibly it came about because National Service was still going after the war and a lot of Scousers and Glaswegians mixed together in the army and the song came from there, but I could be wrong.

David Pearl
12 Posted 04/11/2020 at 23:26:27
Alex, thanks for that link. I played it for my dad asking if he remembers this? He sung it start to finish having not heard it in 50 years.