Concerns

by   |   02/11/2020  10 Comments  [Jump to last]

I've been an Everton supporter from a lad and I'm 75 and I've seen some great teams over the years. I had a season ticket for well over 18 years till I moved from Liverpool to live in Newcastle 40 years ago. I'm very frustrated over the recent years with the following:

Our attacking approach is too slow and when we get into the opponents' area we always go backwards.

The biggest thing for me is the lack of urgency with in the players and I'm sorry to say this, the quality of some players is not good enough.

We've had a great start and hopefully when we get the players back to winning again but I hope I'm not witnessing the same old story promises promises. We now have a great manager so don't let him down.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (10)

Barry Rathbone
1 Posted 03/11/2020 at 22:16:13
For as long as I can remember Liverpool teams have played like their lives depend on it our lot play like their mother in-laws lives depend on it.

The courage and determination of this club in telling John Houlding to shove Anfield up his arse and get out there to build the finest stadium of the day, Goodison. Then power on to become one of the dominant clubs of yore has vanished.

No sign of it ever coming back either

Stan Schofield
2 Posted 04/11/2020 at 16:45:48
Roger, the whole thing is very frustrating with Everton. This tendency to raise you up to a point where you think this time it's different, and then let you down with a bump, seems ingrained. So much so that you inwardly tell yourself to expect the worst whenever there's a chance to really cement any decent run we have. It always seems to fall flat, and it has to be a mental problem.

The derby is an example, every time we fail to achieve. Even Man City, before Monsour, managed to occasionally beat Man Utd, and Utd have been far better than Liverpool in the PL era. It's become ridiculous. You can always bet on Everton to bugger up your weekend.

All we can do is hope the early-season momentum returns soon. And if it does return, that it doesn't slide off a cliff again. Just for a change.

Kevin Dyer
3 Posted 04/11/2020 at 17:30:12
Roger I too am an expat, exiled in the frigid north-east (Durham) these 7 long years. I know Sunderland fans and with their current sorry state I'd feel like a bit of ass complaining about our fortunes. Yes, we've had some lean times with little money or ambition but right now we have a billionaire owner, a new stadium on the horizon, one of the best managers of the last 20 years, one world-class player (Rodriguez), one on the cusp (Richy), proven players (Keane, Digne, Holgate, Coleman, Allan, Dacoure, DCL), some exciting youngsters (Branthwaite, Gordon, Nkoukou) and a few that may come good when they settle in, kick on or show an upturn in form (Davies, Iwobi, Pickford, Bernard, Gbamin).

Believe me, it could be a lot worse, and has been not so long ago. Right now we have the potential to push for top 4, if we can add to what we have and continue to shed those not good enough. A lot of clubs, even those with some history would love to be in our position. My partner who's from Boro (knows nothing about football) will occasionally say something like "I wonder if Mourinho would ever manage Middlesbrough" and I have to say "no that could never happen"; that's the reality for the vest majority of clubs.

Mike Doyle
4 Posted 04/11/2020 at 18:48:25
Hi Roger. I was born in Old Swan, but have lived in London for 30+ years.
I noticed on the GOT site that it was 50 years ago today that Everton beat Borussia Moenchengladbach via the first ever penalty shootout in a European Cup game at Goodison.
It was also the first European match I ever attended - and only bettered for atmosphere by the Bayern Munich semi- final in 85.
Be nice to have a few of players from either of those sides available today.
Joe McMahon
5 Posted 04/11/2020 at 19:36:33
Kevin @ 3, nothing wrong with Northeast, fantastic coastline and so many castles up there, not to mention some great food.

For me, I'm slowly giving up hope, we just can't compete when it matters. Never been in Champions League and the record against Liverpool over the past 20 years is shambolic. Everyone has their own opinion on Kenwright, but I feel him keeping Moyes for 11 years and letting Kings Dock slip away has done the damage, to the aspirations of the club and image. Recently compounded by the appointment of Koeman & Walsh for the squad being very costly and awful in quality.

Paul Birmingham
6 Posted 04/11/2020 at 20:29:34
For me it’s become a way of life and as Stan @2, says it’s now in our DNA, to know that success of any type will be a flitting experience.

In the EPL era, its not like, too far, too soon, as we saw in the good days, since the start in 1992, Everton, has become a team making up the numbers, in the EPL, bar the odd top 5 finish, and Cup final and a few semis.

Sad but true, but the courage, belief, and blind hope of Evertonians, and a great sense of banter and humour, provides some solace and salvation, for inconsistencies of the first team.

I genuinely believe that Carlo can turn the fortunes around and become consistent but I think it will take a few more windows and the breakthrough of some youngsters to get meaning of being a successful football team

The worst part is shadow cast by Old Nick, and I still believe that Everton’s fortunes, took a massive turn for the worst in 1985, with English club ban from Europe.

But as in life you try and bounce back, from tough times, but it’s become Biblical at Everton, in context of success and consistency.

I pray and hope this season, the team can become consistent and win games, ideally playing well.

The last few weeks have been the reality check, but there’s a core of a team, to build around but plenty of work to do, in my view.

Start on Saturday and beating United, would be great..

Danny Broderick
7 Posted 04/11/2020 at 20:53:58
I share your feeling that our play is too slow. The word on my tongue every time I watch us play is 'tempo'. We always seem to slow things down. How many times do our full-backs and midfielders turn back and pass the ball sideways and backwards?

Some teams pass aggressively – not us. We pass timidly. In our whole squad, I'd say there's only really Digne and Rodriguez that look to play someone in on goal. Sigurdsson used to, but he's turned into Schneiderlin and only plays it sideways and backwards.

Tony Everan
8 Posted 05/11/2020 at 20:23:13
Roger, I think we are all disappointed at the moment. One, because Southampton played us off the park and two, the match we were meant to bounce back in we were worse.

I share your frustrations with regards to our attacking play. Without Richarlison and a fully fit James we are bereft. I too yearn for us to have that drive and momentum for us to get behind defences with a well timed pass and a great run, or with sheer pace over a few yards and a wicked cross fired in across goal or a powerful snap shot.the moment the opportunity arises.

As a priority we need someone who can deliver that type of threat to reinforce our attack.

In the meantime Gordon should have a shot at it on the left and or Iwobi starting on the right taking on the full back or coming inside and attacking with vigour and pace , and being told to drive forward and create something at all costs. No back passes, no excuses.

It is a beheading offence to say it but I think Iwobi could yet come good.

...and the condemned poster shuffled off to the virtual guillotine.

Brian Murray
10 Posted 05/11/2020 at 20:58:48
We have the best manager we have had since Kendall Mk I. However, Carlo (like the rest of us) knew Richarlison was suspended and had a full week to plan, so as to not isolate Calvert-Lewin. Instead, he picked last season's problems once again... so let's just say we have a very good manager – not a world-class one.

At risk of stating the obvious, play Simms or Gordon right up front and have the courage of your convictions, Carlo – and keep the goalie in.

Dave Williams
11 Posted 07/11/2020 at 12:08:56
I’m with you on Iwobi Tony. Loads of ability but needs the rest of the team playing well for him to do so. A bit of a luxury player at the moment perhaps but he is the one of all our flops who I think can still come good.