Who made you go “Wow”?

by   |   05/11/2020  157 Comments  [Jump to last]

Duncan Mackenzie... yeah, he did it for me.

He had everything that didn't matter. Did he protect the defence? No fucking way. Did he run himself into the ground? Nah.

He was a statement, that we signed who we liked. Him and Bruce Rioch — we wanted them... and we got them. Did he make us a better? No way! He made us (well, me anyway) feel good.

Gary Lineker was the last signing we made as a big club. Duncan was the last signing we made that had magic about it. He was just magic. Maybe not that good, but just special, a one-goal, Micky Walsh, John Fashinu, waste of money.

The last signing we ever made who did not have us fretting over the pennies. Our last Corinthian...

Who last made your heart sing?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (157)

Michael Kenrick
1 Posted 05/11/2020 at 07:07:53
Er... James Rodriguez?

And before him, Andrei Kanchelskis.

Derek Thomas
2 Posted 05/11/2020 at 07:48:38
Early Lukaku, early Rooney, Alan Ball.
Tony Mace
3 Posted 05/11/2020 at 08:18:27
Southall
Lineker
Rooney
Duncan McDine
4 Posted 05/11/2020 at 08:31:38
I’m named after MacKenzie but haven’t ever seen much footage of him (other than jumping over cars), probably because he wasn’t part of a winning side. Evertonians my age will be clutching at straws to find a ‘wow’ player that we’ve seen in the flesh (too young to remember the 80’s). Kanchelskis and Rooney come to mind. James has also given me goose bumps during the few games he’s played.
Gerry Quinn
5 Posted 05/11/2020 at 08:37:09
Any of the Holy Trinity
Gerry Quinn
6 Posted 05/11/2020 at 08:37:55
Oh, and my wife, Cathie...
Ray Roche
7 Posted 05/11/2020 at 08:42:50
Grovelling get.
Brent Stephens
8 Posted 05/11/2020 at 08:54:01
"Who last made your heart sing?"

James Rodriguez.

Who first made my heart sing? Alex Young.

And in between? The Troggs - Wild Thing.

Chris Williams
9 Posted 05/11/2020 at 09:18:50
Roy Vernon
Colin Harvey
Alan Ball
Tony Kay
Alex Young

Andrei Kanchelskis
Gary Lineker
Trevor Steven
Baines and Pienaar
Wayne Rooney

Brian Harrison
10 Posted 05/11/2020 at 09:22:14
Rather than list the many, many I have seen and said wow when watching them play starting with Dave Hickson, its easy to say nobody in a blue shirt has made me say wow since 1990.
Rob Dolby
11 Posted 05/11/2020 at 09:41:11
I do love a flare player a rebel that bucks the trend. Quality over quantity.

When I first started going the game around 78/79 every team had at least one man who had a bit of something about them whilst the other 10 would run into the ground.

Rodriguez is playing on a different level at the moment and oozes quality.
Stones doing Cruyff turns in our own box.
Arteta on the wing.
The all to brief Rooney first spell.
Kanchelskis direct running with the ball.
Beardsley threading passes.
Andy King having that X factor and love for the blues.
It's hard to beat the ungainly reject who had the machine around him whilst provided the vision and best left peg I have ever seen in Kevin Sheedy.

Brian Harrison
13 Posted 05/11/2020 at 09:52:15
I should have said in my earlier post only Rooney has made me say wow in the last 30 years.
14 Posted 05/11/2020 at 10:13:29
Andy (o/p),You’re a great Bluenose Andy and you get Duncan off to a T, a great entertainer, good after dinner speaker but not suited to a football team, better on The Empire or The London Palladium.

Players who got me excited: Dave Hickson, Bobby Collins, Tommy Ring, Roy Vernon, Tony Kay,Alan Ball, although Howard Kendall was better, for me, Kanchelskis and a young boy who got everyone excited, and I mean everyone, in the beginning, Wayne Rooney, plenty of very good players have played since I started watching the Blues with the very, very best at the beginning T G Jones, will never forget that immaculate footballer, even though it was through the eyes of a seven and eight year old boy.

Peter Mills
15 Posted 05/11/2020 at 10:25:01
Andy, It wasn’t exactly a “wow” moment. The rs were on the brink of signing a player, in fact the Echo had him in the team for the following Saturday.

My Dad came home and said “I see they’ve signed him then”. I grunted with all the disdain an 11 year old could muster “he’s no good anyway”. He replied “Oh, I think Howard Kendall’s going to be a very good signing for us” as he strolled off into the garden.

Howard provided one or two “wows” during his times with us.

Dennis Stevens
16 Posted 05/11/2020 at 11:38:54
Funny, I remember him as Duncan McKenzie - I don't know where this erroneous 'a' has come from. I once knew a chap, back in the early '80s who claimed that the Everton shirt he was wearing was actually Duncan McKenzie's - given to him by the man himself! I wonder if it was true?!

The providers of "Wow" moments are rather few & far between for latter day blues. James has already delivered a few, with many more to follow, I hope.

Tony Abrahams
17 Posted 05/11/2020 at 12:53:13
We haven’t had many, but Rooney really was something else the little bastard, and probably the saviour, for the man who has presided over our longest ever baron spell.

I thought Jeffers, was another, the kid had terrific movement, then Rodwell, who just never pushed on, even though he had everything in his locker.

A player who could definitely excite was Limpar, loads of skill, loads of talent, but just like Bernard (this kid is letting himself down imo) a player who was not everyone’s cup of tea.

Barry Rathbone
18 Posted 05/11/2020 at 13:16:58
Young, Ball, McKenzie and Latchford scoring 2 at GP against his old club Birmingham.
Dave Lynch
19 Posted 05/11/2020 at 13:33:59
I remember watching James Macfadden in his debut against a lower league team in a cup match on a cold Tuesday or Wednesday night at Goodison.
I thought WOW! That didn't last long though, as the following months proved.
Stephen Brown
20 Posted 05/11/2020 at 14:25:10
All the obvious one are a given!!

A left field one for me was Billy Kenny in a derby in early 90s, the one where Beardsley scored the winner ! I watched this younger only a few years older than I was run the show in midfield ! I though wow he’s quality

Real shame what happened to him

Geoff Lambert
21 Posted 05/11/2020 at 14:27:11
Per Krøldrup WOW
Waste Of Wonga.
Clive Rogers
22 Posted 05/11/2020 at 15:01:24
Andy, John Fashinu? Should that not be Justin Fashinu, his brother who scored that wonder goal then faded away? John Fashinu was more notable for giving defenders bruises with his elbows. Not that we signed either of them.
Clive Rogers
23 Posted 05/11/2020 at 15:04:45
I was wowed when we bought Ernie Hunt from Wolves, but was less enthusiastic after watching him play.
Alan Rodgers
24 Posted 05/11/2020 at 15:40:57
In recent times I would say Romelu Lukaku. Some of his goals were incredible, I found myself thinking 'does he really play for us' ?
Sky have a short special on demand which shows all his goals, well worth a watch.
Will Mabon
25 Posted 05/11/2020 at 15:44:10
I was taken to games from very young in the mid '60s and you don't really understand what you're seeing til a certain age. The first things I really noticed were the ease with which Labone went about his work, that midfield, Joe Royle's anti-gravity high headers amazed me, no-one else did that.

In terms of impact and wow, it was Bob Latchford. He was the best centre forward for the game as it was, by a mile. The difference he made was immediate and lasting. I was at the Birmingham game mentioned above. Two goals scored, and even more than the hype suggested, was there to be seen.

Rooney - just unbelievable, staggeringly good. There was potentially more than Messi waiting inside, I believe. A mix of Messi and Maradona. The sheer breadth of his all round game probably worked against him later on (among other things). I watched his home European hattrick debut for United. After that third, the free kick, there was a a kind of strange lull after the cheering, as if the crowd thought "WTF have we just bought...".

So many cameos. James the best for eons. Sad that so many of the wows are from so long ago... and that some destined to be a wow, just faded away. Gary Jones I thought was going to really be something.

Alan McGuffog
26 Posted 05/11/2020 at 16:01:59
August or September 1961. My first glimpse of the pitch from the Boys Pen, in the late summer sunshine. Prior to Wednesday battering us four nil.
Peter Mills
27 Posted 05/11/2020 at 16:06:00
I think we’ll all be saying a few wows when we get back in the ground.
Tony Abrahams
28 Posted 05/11/2020 at 16:22:42
I saw Rooney, just like you described him Will, and thought leaving Everton, to go and play for the best team in the country, probably took away a lot of the kids individuality?

The game he played against Bolton, is still the finest outfield performance I have ever witnessed live, and I was shocked to hear David Moyes, say that he never scored, whilst being interviewed after the game.

I remember being in a shop on Smithdown rd, on the Monday, after he scored his first ever goal against Arsenal, and this young girl who was about 14, had her hands around her mouth, singing - Rooney, Rooney, and for a fan base who had had very little joy, for a long time even then, this kid was going to bring it all back.

I remember leaving Old Trafford, and this United fan was saying, what a fucking player you’ve got yourselves there. “You’ve struggled for a few years now, but this kid is finally gonna bring you some joy isn’t he” were is words, followed by, “ see him there? just try and go right through Beckham, he’s a proper little scouse kid, who doesn’t give a fuck for nobody” so that’s why Rooney, will always be a little fucker to me.

Wow is a big word Andy, and although I’m falling out of love with the circus that is modern day football, accepting cheats on the pitch, in the VAR room, and then having to listen or read about it from the phoneys in the media, talent is different, and Wayne Rooney, was definitely the kid, who made me say wow.

Jay Harris
29 Posted 05/11/2020 at 16:36:07
Im a picky bugger so to make me go wow would need something special and the players who made me go wow were Roy Vernon, Tony Kay, Alan Ball, Howard Kendal and Neville Southall.

All of them had that x factor that they could do the extraordinary. Big Dunc had it too but never showed it often enough. Rooney too but he chose to do it in the wrong shirt.

30 Posted 05/11/2020 at 16:45:12
Jay (29), I bet you that Rooney made you go double wow when you saw him play for the Blues, come on be honest. Going to United is another story.
Will Mabon
31 Posted 05/11/2020 at 16:55:28
I remember the game Tony, and the Moyes words following. I think there was a feeling of inevitability from early on that Rooney was gone. Who knows what the club could do to stop it in those days, but sad as a fan to feel that powerlessness, like we really were a "Little" feeder club, should we grow a real talent.

Remember after the Arsenal game, Wenger said "I think today we have seen one of the best young talents etc...". Doomed!

Not to say there should be fawning hyperbole, but for whatever reason, the real impact and success of Rooney as a player often gets a more factual and cool acknowledgement when discussed by many pundits/media.

Will Mabon
32 Posted 05/11/2020 at 17:05:20
Dave, with honesty and all Blue bias aside, I still think we saw the absolute very best of Rooney in his time at Everton, and indications of what could have been. At least in terms of the pure, devastatingly effective destroyer that he was.

He was quickly somewhat modified at United, albeit still incredibly good, toward a kind of "Gascrooney", is the best way I can describe it.

Everyone who saw him here loved it.

33 Posted 05/11/2020 at 17:25:33
Will (32), I think most fans, certainly United fans, thought that Wayne was a striker, he was much more than that, Ferguson got the most out of him, playing him all over the place, and Rooney just loved playing football anywhere any time,never complained just got on with it as long as he was on the pitch.

Moyes didn’t know where, how or when to play the lad, witness the United game when we were 3-0 down at half time and he was brought on after half time, Wayne changed the game and we got back to 3-3 before United snatched a winner near the very end.

As for the Bolton game, Wayne was tremendous, created a few chances for himself,didn’t score but Bobby Robson and his centre forward up in the stands couldn’t believe Rooney was making such an impact on the game while dour Dave said “ he didn’t score did he”

34 Posted 05/11/2020 at 17:29:24
(33), above, Alan Shearer was the centre forward, his name wouldn’t come to me while I was writing that post, soon as I posted it came to me.
Steve Hogan
35 Posted 05/11/2020 at 18:01:35
I have been watching Everton since around 1968, seen all of the greats mentioned above, inc Alan Ball, who wasn't just a great player, but truly inspirational to all who played around him.

Since then I loved Reidy, Stevens, Sheedy, Southall, Sharpe, Kanchelskis etc, but if I was truly honest with myself, the best player I have seen in a blue shirt was Rooney. That kid had everything, power, technique, a real footballing brain, and a huge desire to be a winner.

Sure, he had some stupid moments off the pitch, and reacted pretty badly on his return to Goodison, but a record goalscorer for club and country, over a long period of time, for my money he was simply the best.

Sad, that his best years were for United, but that's the way it goes sometime. I realise this might not be a popular answer to the question concerned, but in my opinion, Everton's best post war player.

Ray Roche
36 Posted 05/11/2020 at 18:20:57
Just watching the American election fiasco. Those Trump baseball caps I wouldn’t mind a blue one with Carlo in it and MEGA in big white letters..Making Everton Great Again!
Barry Rathbone
37 Posted 05/11/2020 at 18:30:08
Oh yeh, Colin Todd.

Never seen a defender like him best I ever saw in the flesh

Steve Shave
38 Posted 05/11/2020 at 18:44:58
In my time supporting the club. Arteta was my hero, young Rooney, Kanchelskis and James Rodriguez.
Dale Self
39 Posted 05/11/2020 at 18:46:27
Kanchelskis! It didn't last long but it made a big damn difference to those otherwise dim post FA cup years.
Will Mabon
40 Posted 05/11/2020 at 19:01:43
Dave, sort of goes back to what I said to Tony. Rooney was a striker but so good that Ferguson milked his every blessing, often taking him away from pure striker. So good anywhere, with the enthusiasm you cite. They used to say he was as good in training in any position as the regular place holder - not bad in goal for a shorter guy, apparently!

I agree about Moyes. It goes against almost everything seen at this level that a young un comes in to an immediate fixed first team place. "Saving" their energy, no burnout, not over-facing them, going to their head etc.

Thing is, Rooney was different and none of that applied. Maybe Moyes had his interests at heart, maybe he wanted to maintain control for his own authority.

I haven't yet read the book that caused the controversy and settlement.

Joe McMahon
41 Posted 05/11/2020 at 19:22:15
Beardsley
Kanchelskis (for a while)
Limpar (for a while)
Trevor Steven
Greame Sharp until about 1988
Peter Reid (for being our Roy Keane)
Tony Cottee (for being clinical)
Lukaku
James Rodriguez (although only just got here)
Nigel Martyn (awesome keeper)

Paul Power and Dave Watson (not a wow players just reliable and professional)

Bill Gall
42 Posted 05/11/2020 at 19:24:09
I am 80 yrs old now and reading all the comments on various players the thing that makes me go wow is Goodison Park, as every time I read about games some of these players played in like Rooney against Arsenal or Ring, Ball, Young, Southall and others with different styles I go wow I was at that game and it brings back memories. We went to games exited to see these talented players but it was the Old Lady Goodison Park that gave us the opportunity.
Paul Birmingham
43 Posted 05/11/2020 at 19:34:40
For me, The Holy Trinity, Big Bob, Dave Thomas, Dobbo, Dunc McKenzie, Andy is Our King, Todd, Pejic, this team didn't quite get but they played some good football, and especially at home the place was bouncing.

80s, Big Nev, Reid, Bracewell, Sheedy, Steven, Stevens, Physco, Rat, Degsy, Sharpe, Lineker, Inchy pre Marwood, Wayne Clarke- if we had an instinct goal poacher now.

Mid 90s: Kanchelskis, Ferguson, Limpar, Horn, Parkinson.

2000s: Rooney, Martyn, Cahill, Carsely, Arteta, Howard

Recently: Rom, Ross, Seamus

Now Allan, Duke and Hames, Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin.

Success at the start in the middle but nothing since 1995.

Hopefully there'll be silverware soon at Goodison Park.

Tony Abrahams
44 Posted 05/11/2020 at 21:45:00
Great point that Bill G, I've always loved Goodison Park. It's old and weary, but it's a place that can definitely make anyone say wow, and going all the way back to my childhood, I can still remember the noise when Andy King's goal, won it for us against Liverpool, and there is no better place to be when Evertonians really celebrate!
Stan Schofield
45 Posted 05/11/2020 at 21:50:02
Goodison Park in the 60s, with 60,000 gates, chanting "Everton, Everton, Everton!" It made the hairs stand on end. It still does thinking about it.

Regarding players: Colin Harvey. Then Ball, Harvey and Kendall. Then the entire Everton side in 68-69, the football was just brilliant.

I always felt a sense of pride that Goodison Park was our ground, especially after it was used for the '66 World Cup. I first went to Anfield in '68, for a derby match, and immediately thought it was like a tin can with no warmth. It was and still is nothing compared with Goodison.

Mary Coleman
46 Posted 05/11/2020 at 22:15:48
Big Dunc for me, unplayable on his day, one of those days was in ‘96 vs Newcastle... awesome!!!
Andy Crooks
47 Posted 05/11/2020 at 22:15:57
Bill @ 42, you have made me rethink. It was Easter Sunday 2019. Thanks to the generosity of Dave Abrahams and his family I walked up the steps and saw the pitch for the first time in many, many years. Wow, my heart sang. We won four-nil, too. One of the days I will cherish forever. Dave, Tony, June, Michael, Cameron (who looked after me). Derek and every blue, it's the people, the blues, not the players.
Peter Warren
48 Posted 05/11/2020 at 22:38:45
Big Nev - oh my days. Even when older I remember Collymore blasting a shot down his throat and he just caught it. Wow.

Duncan Ferguson in a derby at Goodison – I can't remember which but Zola had just played out his skin in the semi-final of the FA Cup and everybody raving about him. Ferguson in a midweek night derby, literally one man against Liverpool, and he was unstoppable culminating in left-foot strike on the turn into bottom corner away from David James. The performance was unreal and far superior to anything the magician Zola could possibly ever produce – literally Dunc was unplayable that night.

Rooney - watching a semi-final FA Youth Cup game. Wow!

Rodriguez – I genuinely didn't realise how good he was; seriously... Wow!

Stan Schofield
49 Posted 05/11/2020 at 22:56:23
The semi-final with the disallowed Hamilton goal.

A goal kick into the centre circle. Duncan Mckenzie was tightly marked by Tommy Smith. The ball falls towards the centre spot, Mckenzie traps it, flicks it over his shoulder, turns, traps it again, and speeds off with the ball, leaving Smith flailing in mid-air like an amateur. Wonderful.

Stan Schofield
50 Posted 05/11/2020 at 22:58:03
At the moment, Rodriguez. Astonishing player.
Mike Gaynes
51 Posted 05/11/2020 at 23:36:35
Rooney's debut, leaving Seaman flailing and ending Arsenal's run.

Lukaku several times, most of all that gaol against Chelsea.

Sheedy and Baines on free kicks.

Cahill going for a header in the box. Any header.

And now James Rodriguez with those first-touch passes.

But Andy #47, you're right, most of all our Blue people. For me also the Abrahams men at the 2018 Derby, and before that Kevin Johnson, Pete Mills, Keith Harrison and Rob Halligan on my first pilgrimage to Goodison. They are all true Wows as well.

Brian Murray
52 Posted 05/11/2020 at 23:46:37
The 1964 Anfield derby, when we went 3-up, the Kop was literally like a fire drill in emptying so quickly. It was hilarious, except for a few pockets of Blues going nuts. Colin Harvey became a man that day.
Stan Schofield
53 Posted 05/11/2020 at 23:55:37
Mike@51: I was born near Goodison, lived near Goodison, and walked to the match with my dad. I was so lucky.

You were born and you live thousands of miles away. But you are as close to Goodison as I ever was.

Mike Gaynes
54 Posted 05/11/2020 at 00:03:37
Stan, it was a privilege for me to be there and I can't wait to return. But make no mistake, I envy the father/son dynamic you and others have shared here, and the decades of cherished memories you have compiled. That sort of family tradition is simply irreplaceable.
Darryl Ritchie
55 Posted 06/11/2020 at 02:50:09
Seamus vs Arsenal in 2014. Incredible skill! He embarrassed them on more than one occasion. Coleman playing “keep-ups” down the sidelines is unforgettable.
Don Alexander
56 Posted 06/11/2020 at 03:06:14
At the risk of having my chunks chopped off, again, but sharing a view that several TW'ers have espoused down the years on other threads, I think it important to recognise "Wow!" moments from our opponents.

To me, George Best is the late '60s was simply sublime against us in a 0-0 draw at Goodison. Willie Morgan, in his all too brief period of brilliance, ran us ragged a few years later.

The newly promoted Huddersfield Town and, especially, Nottm Forest in the late '70s and early '80s were also sublime to me. They outclassed us at Goodison.

Of our own players, I call "Wow!" as being one who, when he receives the ball, makes you stand up on your tippy-toes pre-Hillsborough – get off your piles thereafter – it's sadly limited to Ball, Thomas (only briefly though), Rooney and, for now, James.

Neville Southall made me question physics only after his saves though, because you couldn't have anticipated such brilliance.

We've been severely let down in a boardroom containing you-all-know-who for the past 30 years, and counting.

On a current different thread, many of us still ponder who the source of infection is that allegedly reduces otherwise good players (Doucouré) when we signed them into bog-standard within weeks. I ask again, might it just be that the self-serving inertia embodied by Kenwright that's had such a profoundly disastrous effect on us for 30 sodding years, lives on at Finch Farm, alive and kicking, way in excess of Covid-19 in the real world the rest of us are obliged to occupy?

Please, Farhad, get rid of him and his self-serving appointees.

Paul Ward
57 Posted 06/11/2020 at 05:16:00
Bill, Tony & Stan you are right, the WOW goes to Goodison Park.

My first idol was Dave Hickson who I still regard as our most courageous player of all time. Then there was the Alex Young & Roy Vernon strike partnership backed up by the great unlucky Tony Kay to win the League in 1963.

The next great team included the magnificent Holy Trinity and won the league in 1970.

In 1972, I emigrated to Australia and had to follow the Blues by short wave radio, MotD repeats, the red Echo a week later and the odd TV highlights.

For the past 20 years, I have been lucky enough to see every game live on Fox and Optus TV and have seen all the special players posters have named. But the Wow factor for me will always be pre-1972 at the Old Lady.

Christine Foster
58 Posted 06/11/2020 at 06:46:13
There are so many:

Wayne Rooney via Arsenal, his hat trick on his return;
The first glimpse of Goodison Park pitch from the Top Balcony on a frosty night... beautiful, and it still makes my heart flutter and smile with pride;
Tim Cahill, his goal for Australia in the World Cup against the Netherlands;
Duncan McKenzie sitting on the ball;
Neville Southall in his prime;
Albert Dunlop saving a penalty (I think against West Ham, saving it by going the wrong way and catching it between his legs;
Alex Young getting his shirt ripped off him against Inter Milan;
Catching my first toffee from the Toffee Lady;
Standing in Gwladys Street on my wedding day, against Man Utd...

I could fill a book!

Danny Broderick
59 Posted 06/11/2020 at 06:55:10
The first game I remember being at was the 5-0 win against Man Utd in the 84-85 season. I remember watching all the cup finals on TV, but my first season ticket was 87/88, the year Tony Cottee signed. His debut hat trick was my first real wow moment, I was too young for anything before that. Little did I know that it would pretty much be all downhill from there! I loved Cottee, I vividly recall the 4-4 when he got the 2 equalisers.

I loved Barry Horne after his goal against Wimbledon – what a day that was. The cup final against Man Utd in 95. The semi-final vs Man Utd at Wembley. Duncan and Kanchelskis gave us a few moments. So did Lukaku, Cahill, Arteta and one or two others. But I think youth plays a part in wow moments. If Calvert-Lewin scores 99 goals for Everton, I won't be in awe of him like I was Cottee.

I hope we can get our hands on a trophy or two, that's what makes Wow moments last for me now. A good goal or a win here and there doesn't make me go "Wow!" any more.

Tony Abrahams
60 Posted 06/11/2020 at 07:53:53
I said I'm falling out of love with football, I am, it's got to a point where we have got people disagreeing over penalties, that are not even free kicks imo, and the sport will slowly keep losing its appeal to me, unless something is done about this, instead of people trying to justify cheating because, at the end of the day, that is exactly what it is, with the media also really helping to kill the beautiful game, imo.

But reading this thread has been brilliant because it makes me realise that there is a special connection between people. People who come from everywhere because they all love Everton FC!

Danny B, what a great first memory to have of glorious Goodison Park mate. I can still remember Sheedy's header, that was a “wow” as was his left foot strike in off the post, but not quite as good as the second greatest “wow” I think I've ever had watching football, the following week at Anfield, and the realisation, that we finally had a team of real fighters and winners, when Graeme Sharp, made the Evertonians go berserk!

My greatest night is Bayern Munich, the crowd was heard by Picton Clock, for goodness sake, but the thing that still makes me shiver is Rotterdam. Walking out that stadium, and our song was getting sung, “just like the team that's gonn@ win the fuckin lot, We Shall Not Be Moved!!!”

I can't wait to get to Goodison Park again after reading this thread, and with the crowds back in the ground again, I can't wait to see Everton, running round Wembley with the cup, and to see the younger Evertonians dance the night away!

Chris Williams
61 Posted 06/11/2020 at 08:11:01
Thanks Tony,

You’ve just put a lot of things into perspective for me in that post.

Let’s focus on the things that really matter!

Antony Kelly
62 Posted 06/11/2020 at 09:11:46
Big Dunk 2005 v Man U what a performance what a night atmosphere was incredible Goodison rocked!!
Stan Schofield
63 Posted 06/11/2020 at 09:14:10
Regarding recent wows, apart from Rodriguez' touches, I went wow when DCL received that fantastic long ball from Michael Keane, took it first time on his left foot, flicked it to his right foot, and calmly slotted it into the net, all under pressure. That was truly world class.
64 Posted 06/11/2020 at 10:02:03
Christine (58), Jesus girl, standing in Gwladys Street on your wedding day !!If there was a prize for this thread you’d walk with it with no recounts!

I went past Goodison Park on my wedding day with my new wife tightly holding my hand, not out of love, but in case I jumped out and went to watch the match, Christine you are a much better supporter than me God bless you!!

Harry Williams
65 Posted 06/11/2020 at 10:22:52
Calvert-Lewin's two goals against Chelsea last season – what an unforgettable day... now that was a Wow!!!

The atmosphere and experience that day was right up there... Wow!!!

Brian Harrison
66 Posted 06/11/2020 at 10:24:46
Tony 60

I agree with a lot of what you say about falling out of love with football, things have changed so much since I first started watching Everton. Now when people dive in the box and thats what it is, there is no condemnation even if its blatant, at best a pundit will say he went down a bit easy or it was a soft penalty. But none of them call it for what it is, the new phrase to justify diving is "there was some contact". I could well imagine the reaction of the players in the late 50s to a team mate diving in the box.

The old maxim used to be never show a defender he has hurt you, now even if a defender brushes against you the first thing is scream at the top of your voice and roll over clutching some part of your body. These are con artists who have all perfected the art of conning refs. Now because of new technology like VAR that was brought in primarily because refs were making so many simple mistakes, but they have taken it to a level that it was never intended to do. Remember clear and obvious, now every goal is scrutinised before a decision is made. We have virtually made the role of the linesman redundant, now he sticks is flag up 15 seconds after the offside player has collected the ball had a shot and the goalkeeper is just about to take the goal kick.

Technology and cheating players have made the game I love a lot less enjoyable than it used to be. Sadly I can only see it getting worse, this game had the same rules for decades, now every season a new rule appears and most have made the game worse not better.

Christine Foster
67 Posted 06/11/2020 at 10:38:50
Dave 64* it was the result of a dare.. defiant till the end!
68 Posted 06/11/2020 at 10:49:29
Christine (67), brilliant, who made the dare? Yes I know, I’m nosy so and so!!
69 Posted 06/11/2020 at 11:38:58
Danny (59), yes Danny back to the fans against hat semi final v Man. Unt, it wasn’t much of a game to be honest, but at the end of the penalty shoot, that unbridled sheer joy of relief and the passion of the fans,as we abandoned the minutes after to singing, dancing, and cheering with the happiness we had found that we were going back to Wembley for a Cup Final,we were that starved of any success. How many times did we sing out the song “Is this the way to Amirrillo” No one wanted to go home, Istood and just watched our supporters for a few minutes, men and women of all ages all wrapped around their friends and relations dancing and singing, so happy and it was wonderful to watch,yes when Evertonians. celebrate “ Nobody does it better”.

Danny Broderick
70 Posted 06/11/2020 at 11:55:39
Dave,

That moment at the end was exactly what I was thinking of. I remember the whole Everton end singing ‘Hi Ho Silver Lining’ and it was brilliant. It seemed to last forever and we were daring to believe our name was on the cup. I should add that it was a great moment when Saha scored after 30 seconds in the Cup Final as well. Obviously we all know how that ended up!

Brent Stephens
71 Posted 06/11/2020 at 16:00:56
Dave #64 "Christine you are a much better supporter than me God bless you!!"

No, she was just stronger than you, Dave!

Or, yes, she's a better supporter AND stronger!

Darren Hind
72 Posted 06/11/2020 at 16:43:32
Mines unlikely one. Asa.

When Asa Hartford first came he seemed incapable of finding a blue shirt. Me and me mates hated him lol. Then somebody started talking about going up to the top balcony for a game.

After standing just behind the goal to the right in Gwladys street since we were schoolboys. We got all adventurous one game and went up the escalator and took our seats. It was dizzying. we were near the middle in row B and you looked down on what was a sheer drop.
When the game kicked off it was like watching a game of chess. Asa surprised us when he tried a couple of really clever passes. Unfortunately his intended targets were'nt on the same wave length. After a while It dawned on us...Asa could play, Deep joy. but the joy was followed by a terrible realisation the rest of the team were fucking morons.

Asa was a talented player, but he was never considered top draw...Unless you sat int the TB. He had a brilliant footballers brain.

We spend years sitting in the TB after that, we thought we were proper cool. Used to go the match dressed as if we were going to a wedding. By fuck did we look down on some proper morons.

73 Posted 06/11/2020 at 16:55:33
Darren (72),I always liked Asa, he didn’t stay long at Everton, as you say he was in a poor team at the time, there was one Derby game he played in and he had Everton playing really well, we took a 2-0 lead, Joe
McBride got one of the goals, don’t know if Asa got the other, but then we just fell apart, had no belief in our selves and Liverpool destroyed us, it finished up a draw, it was a 2-2 massacre. I think Hartford was born with a hole in his heart, but recovered well to become a professional footballer, he was named after Al Jolson the singer, ASA Yolson.

Brent (71),the Christine talks, definitely a better and stronger supporter.

Darren Hind
74 Posted 06/11/2020 at 17:05:02
Dave

You've got some memory lad - Although I bet you cant remember what you had for your breakfast today.

I forgot about the hole in Asa's heart. That's what he was really famous for.

The Kop used to sing "you've got a hole in your heart dear Asa, dear Asa" and he used to conduct them. In fairness the kopites loved him in his WBA days and they continued to love him even when he signed for us.

I think it was when he was having a medical for them that his heart condition was first discovered - although I may have just made that up.

Youre also right about his goal against Liverpool too. Cross from the right Glwladys street end.. down by the paddock (cant remember who). Asa arrived late to near the six yard box. Header. Bang. Cue Bedlam

Andy Crooks
75 Posted 06/11/2020 at 19:07:19
Darren, I think it was David Coleman who, ridiculously in my view, had to apologize for referring to Asa as a wholehearted player.

Clive Rogers
76 Posted 06/11/2020 at 19:21:40
Darren, I’m sure it was a medical for Don Revie’s Leeds that his heart problem was detected.
77 Posted 06/11/2020 at 19:52:24
I think we signed Asa from Notts Forest, he was only there five minutes and Clough got shut, I think we paid less than Forest bought him for, he must have upset Brian very quickly.
Christine Foster
78 Posted 07/11/2020 at 01:19:47
Dave sorry but no such thing as a better or stronger supporter, just a blue, always a blue. Like all of us here. I was just born lucky.

Ah the dare.. that came about when my Uncle Jimmy chided me at the reception in Thornton Hough, for getting wed on the morning of the 19th August when we were playing Man U at Goodison that afternoon.. he waived his blue season ticket book in my face and said, "Here it is, are you going or not? What sort of blue are you?" I was offended..lol
I just pinched his ticket, thanked everyone, who by this time was well on the way to drunken oblivion, grabbed the other half and threw the bags in the boot of a Hillman Minx and we were gone.. daft buggers...:-)

Don Alexander
79 Posted 07/11/2020 at 02:45:05
WOW to me means players who almost always made you stand up/get on your tippy toes (depending on your age) throughout their Everton careers.

To me on this thread there's far too much adulation of one single moment or two regarding WOW: exemplified by Duncan Mac - give me a break! He was useless in terms of winning football matches. With a ball at his feet he could admittedly match sealions at Chester zoo though, yet some on here revere him. Bizarre!

We all remember THAT goal from whomever but the fact is that WOW factors are accumulated over years and not just seconds.

Winning teams don't revere moments folks, they revere dynasties.

Go figure who's chiefly responsible for where Everton's been for the past 30 years?

Paul Ward
80 Posted 07/11/2020 at 03:49:33
Darren #72, You remind me of something I had completely forgotten about. That being the view from the stands at GP.

My first game in 1953 was in Gladys St stand and although I did my time in the boys pen and the four sides of the ground I jumped at the chance to get one of the first season tickets in Gladys St with Everton supporters club.

I have been in all the top tiered Stands at GP but my long winded point, is to agree with Darren that you see a different game from a height.

Tony Abrahams
81 Posted 07/11/2020 at 07:34:29
I like the view from the Top Balcony, but I've always thought you are a little bit far away from the rest of the crowd, and this can take away a little bit of the atmosphere?

I reckon I probably dislike Bill Kenwright, just as much as you Don, (honestly) and although I can understand your disdain, this thread is about players who have “wowed us” and not split us in half, mate.

Dave Williams
82 Posted 07/11/2020 at 12:01:58
The Trinity
Jimmy Husband
Alan Whittle
Bobby Latch
Big Dunc
Andy King
Psycho
Joe Parkinson in the semi against a Spurs
Young Wayne
James R
83 Posted 07/11/2020 at 12:15:52
Christine (78), Ah, lovely story about you’re wedding day, I hope we won!! You’re uncle Jimmy, is he the same fella who encouraged you to write better and gave you a couple of Bob to do so?

As for being the better supporter I never disagree with a lady, especially my wife, pull tongues behind her back instead,but you are correct we are all Blue together.

I hope you are well settled in New Zealand Christine and enjoy the game, and a win this afternoon.

Lee Courtliff
84 Posted 07/11/2020 at 20:15:51
Peter Warren, that game was in April '97. Drew one apiece.

3 days earlier Hansen was praising Zola for his awesome display in the FA Cup semi-final and said he wouldn't like to play against him.

3 days later he said, "if had to choose between playing against Zola or Duncan tonight, you'd pick Zola every single time."

Tony Heron
85 Posted 07/11/2020 at 20:46:15
My "Wow" moment was every time I walked through the underneath of the terraces, up the steps and just gazed at the majesty of the ground and oh! that beautiful green pitch. Night games were especially magical.
Christine Foster
86 Posted 08/11/2020 at 00:27:20
Dave, yes same uncle Jimmy (Davies) who made me rewrite the echo report every week, does anyone write anymore? He used to iron the Pink Football Echo and send it to me every week throughout the season on our first 13 years sojourn in NZ in the early 80s, apparently, it made it lighter and was cheaper to send!
We did win 2-0 but for the life of me cannot remember much of it, (it was 72)
So here I am watching a painful display at 3am in the morning, howling winds and rain outside.. but safe. As an aside, you cannot have James and Siggy in the same side, two passengers, one you can live with for his brilliance, the other barely makes any impact. Secondly, we have been sussed out by teams, every manager is attacking us down the right, you have to move James inside and cover Coleman. Everyone thinks Holgate is great, I don't. Never have.. his positional play is dreadful, he made Keane look bad, both Man U goals came from unmarked players, although the second one dropped in, Rashford had a free header but missed it completely, I don't condemn Pickford for that. I could for a few other things as his form is erratic and we cannot afford that. Lucky goal. The third one, a sucker punch.
James not fit, he needs a free role but we need to organize a team that can accommodate him. The honeymoon is over!
Stay well over there Dave.. I see they are using Pontins camp in Southport for testing, I wonder how this is going to work in lockdown..

We are two or three players short of a team,

87 Posted 08/11/2020 at 16:21:51
Christine (86), I know a Jimmy Davies, good fella, a steward on the docks, no chance of him being the same fella, because he is a red, Writing letters is a dying art, still write a few myself,,always wrote into the Pink Echo, that piece in my post (73) and the bit about the 2-2 massacre v Liverpool was the headline from a letter I wrote about that game at the time.

You always write a lot of sense Christine and most of what you wrote about yesterday’s game I agree with, but differ over Holgate and Keane, I like Holgate but with Michael, it is himself who makes him look bad, in my opinion, I bet we’d have some arguments after the game over the Blues.

As for the virus testing, I think the people from the army are staying in Pontins while all the testing is going on, I’ve got mixed feelings about getting tested at the moment, for various reasons, I certainly believe that this virus is alive and infecting many people as well as killing them but I’m holding fire about being tested for now.

Phil Gardner
88 Posted 08/11/2020 at 16:37:43
Rooney for me all day long. And I’ve seen from Ball onwards. To think that he was just a kid too when he was with us. Kopshites try to tell me Slippy G was the best but where the actual fuck was he at the age of sixteen? Nowhere that’s where. From the moment I saw John Terry bounce of this kid who then smashed the ball off the crossbar leaving Terry on his arse I thought ‘wow!’ Open jawed. It’s Rooney all day long.
Derek Powell
89 Posted 08/11/2020 at 18:09:46
Duncan McKenzie and Ronny Goodlass
Derek Powell
90 Posted 08/11/2020 at 18:17:26
I forgot Andy King.
Will Mabon
91 Posted 08/11/2020 at 18:43:21
Derek - Ronny Goodlass; something I was reading a fortnight back led me to look him up. I'm old enough to have watched him play for us, sleeves pulled down. Would you believe in all that time, it somehow got by me that he had only one hand - I had no idea.
Jason Wilkinson
92 Posted 08/11/2020 at 18:57:17
Duncan McKenzie.

He was the one player who you thought could change a game with one piece of magic. After him Big Dunc. His attitude always gave us hope and dread in equal measure.

Maybe James can become our beacon of hope.

John Raftery
93 Posted 08/11/2020 at 22:52:48
Ball and Rooney.
94 Posted 09/11/2020 at 01:35:29
I will leave some of the obvious ones out and go for a few that have not had a mention.

I will start with Adrian Heath, took a while for some of the crowd to warm to him, but he didn’t half knock some goals in for us, crying shame about his bad injury.

Staying on the injury front I would add Jelavic, until he got injured, there was never a doubt he would score for us.

Going back to the seventies and this has had previous mentions has to be Bob Latchford.

Unsung heroes would go to Andy King, Alan Harper, Kevin Richardson, Derek Mountfield, Joe Parkinson, Nigel Martyn, Paul Power and finally for one of the best human beings and work rate, Steve Naismith.

Christine Foster
95 Posted 09/11/2020 at 11:47:12
Brian, you can't say Bob Latchford without Dave Thomas, brilliant winger who could deliver..
Bill Griffiths
96 Posted 09/11/2020 at 12:48:19
Christine you mentioning Dave Thomas has spurred me on to post what I intended to a couple of days ago but didn't get around to.
As far as I'm concerned he is as good a winger as there had ever been and the best crosser of a ball I've ever seen.
Kathie would never have got his 30 goals without him.
Just to mention 2 other great favourites of mine who I think don't get the recognition/respect that they deserve, Martin Dobson and Dave Watson. I thought Dobbo was elegance and coolness personified while Watson was one of the bravest and hardest players I've seen in the Blue Jersey.
97 Posted 09/11/2020 at 17:01:44
Christine, I mentioned in a post last year about Dave Thomas, his rolled down socks, moulded rubber studs on his boots and how I rated the guy as one of the best wingers around, he could put the ball on a sixpence and for many years, was always my favourite player in the team.

I am still baffled after setting up most of Latchfords 30 goals, we allowed him to leave the following season.

There is only one other winger I would put on a par or better than Thomas at the time and that was Steve Coppell.

So yes Christine, I will add Dave Thomas, glad other Evertonians have the same memories of Thomas, as I had.

Chris Williams
98 Posted 09/11/2020 at 17:13:14
Mick Madar made me go wow. Once in a good way!
Paul Tran
99 Posted 09/11/2020 at 17:17:10
As an eight year old, Rod Belfitt made me go 'Wow'! Even at my tender age, I couldn't believe how poor he was.
100 Posted 09/11/2020 at 17:54:32
I tell you what, we were frightening in the Seventies, Dia Davies without his teeth, Mick Bernard, Jim Pearson, John Connolly and Terry Derrocott gave me nightmares when I came across them in the football stickers.
101 Posted 09/11/2020 at 21:50:17
Bill (96), Dave Watson, yes a real tough and inspiring captain, a man who you wanted on your team. Now he would walk into Everton's team today and coax some fight and determination into this defence, a player's player.
Michael Kenrick
102 Posted 09/11/2020 at 22:08:02
Sorry, Dave @101, but Wow! – talk about having false hope... I really don't think he would.

I'm pretty sure he's well past his best by now and won't be walking into any team, least of all Carlo's Lost Boyz!

Chris Williams
103 Posted 10/11/2020 at 04:15:20
After remembering Mick Madar’s wow goal, against Leicester City (?), a fantastic volley from the edge of the penalty area, it struck me that there were other ‘unlikely wows’ waiting to be dredged from my failing memory banks.

So I quickly came up with Radzinski’s very late wow against Southampton, Gosling’s against Liverpool, missed by ITV, Johnson’s brace against the same opponents, and Segundo Castillo’s thunderbolt against Standard Liege(?).

And then there’s Barry Horne’s screamer against Wimbledon.

Slightly more mundane wows, if tackles can be considered a wow, were Neville’s tackle on Ronaldo and Besic’s tackle on Toure which got the crowd on their feet.

It’s fair to say that none of the players mentioned could ever be described as having the wow factor, but for me at least, they’ve stuck in my memory, if only for the moments mentioned above.

Neville Southall was definitely a wow player, but it is his save from Falco against Spurs that I remember most vividly.

So for me I guess it’s as much to do with the individual moment and the memory as it is to do with the great players.

104 Posted 10/11/2020 at 11:55:24
Michael (102), yes Michael of course you are correct, I was talking about when Dave Watson was in his prime not as he is today, then again looking at Keane and Mina I wouldn’t bet against it!!
105 Posted 10/11/2020 at 14:24:36
Has anyone watched Howard Kendall’s last Interview with Ian Snodin on youtube?

The reason I ask is to tie in with one of the players I liked and gave me the wow moment in signing Gary Lineker.

After the season ended there was only radio or newspaper reports back then to get any news, and I always remember feeling sick when the back page headline was Lineker sold to Barcelona.

Snodin asked Kendall about this and he said we were relying too much on him and other players were not scoring, me on the other hand was more than happy with Lineker scoring 44 goals, in all competitions for us.

That was the reasoning why Kendall,let the player leave, then justified his reasoning saying we won the league the following season with the goals spread out.

To put it in prospective, can you imagine Calvert Lewin banging in 44 goals, then we sell the player because other players are not sharing the goals.

I still say to this Day, Kendall thought he was getting the Barcelona job at the time, only to be overlooked after we sold Lineker to them was part of the reasoning he allowed Lineker to move.

Now back to my question about watching his interview, after giving his reason why he allowed Lineker to move, he then moved on to coming back to Everton for his second stint and he said to Snodin, I made a big mistake in not putting a clause in Linekers contract to give Everton first offer on Lineker returning, and him ending up signing for Spurs instead.

So again I ask, if Kendall was not happy with Linekers roll at Everton, why was he so disappointed that we did not get Lineker in 91, a player he has already stated, does not fit in with goal contributions from other players.

My personal feeling, Lineker never asked for a move but was as good as told he would be going to Barcelona.

That is the one big regret for me that we allowed Lineker to move after only one season.

106 Posted 10/11/2020 at 14:39:11
Here are the stats for those 3 seasons, in 1985 we scored 88 goals, in 86 we scored 87 goals and in 87 we scored 76 goals.

So even though other players were not sharing the goals, we only scored one goal less than the 85 title winning side, but scored 11 more than the 87 title winning team, so what ever logic Kendall was using, he dropped a big one, selling Lineker.

Phil (Kelsall) Roberts
107 Posted 10/11/2020 at 14:53:39
Never saw much of Duncan McKenzie and the only thing I remember is one of his team mates reminiscing - "Yeah, Duncan McKenzie WAS Magic. Never seen somebody disappear in a game like he could"

Luxury Player comes to mind. Sigurdsson, a poor man's Duncan McKenzie?

Patrick McFarlane
108 Posted 10/11/2020 at 15:09:25
Duncan #4
A couple of brief cameos of Duncan McKenzie for you.

Cardiff 77

Stoke

Andy King and Dave Thomas were the first two Everton players to have the wow factor in my time of watching.

Mike Gaynes
109 Posted 10/11/2020 at 15:20:16
Christine, enjoyed your wedding story.

I never saw Duncan McKenzie at Everton but saw him play a couple of times in the US when he closed out his career with my hometown Chicago Sting. He was always fun to watch on the ball but didn't run much. I thought it was because he was past 30... come to find out he was always that way!

And when I met him at Goodison a couple of years ago, turns out we had been close neighbors in suburban Chicago during his time there. That's when his sense of humor made me go "wow"... he certainly never did on the pitch.

110 Posted 10/11/2020 at 15:55:41
Patrick (108), there is another one on Utube v Aston Villa, Duncan scores one of the goals in a 4-1, cup match, we get a silly penalty awarded by Clive Thomas, phoney bastard, first time he had been at Goodison Park since the semi final v Liverpool when he disallowed Hamilton’s winner.
Will Mabon
111 Posted 10/11/2020 at 16:25:35
When watching those, Patrick, I also found this:

Link

What does the last one almost remind you of?

Stan Schofield
112 Posted 10/11/2020 at 16:37:21
Mike@109: It was ironic that McKenzie never ran very much, because he's an unusual athlete. When he was at Leeds Utd he was renowned for jumping over cars in their car park, and playing for us he was adept at jumping over defenders' lunges at him whilst controlling the ball at the same time.
Phill Thompson
113 Posted 10/11/2020 at 16:47:30
1971 and Alan Ball's 30-yd goal against Newcastle at Goodison on his return from injury was a “Wow!” moment.

Not so much a "Wow!" – more a “What the fuck!?” the same season was against us at Coventry. For some reason, we were moving around the ground at the time, all I could see over people's heads was the ball somehow going up vertically in the air and being walloped into the net. It wasn't until I watched MotD that night that I got a decent view of Ernie Hunt's now illegal goal.

Tom Bowers
114 Posted 10/11/2020 at 17:25:19
There have been many but the one I really remember is a Martin Dobson screamer from fully 30 yards into the Kop end in a losing effort. It never even made the highlight reel as the cameras almost missed it but then again it wasn't RS or Manure scoring it.

There is one that really tops the lot and that is Sharpies tremendous volley against the RS at the Analfield Rd. end beating gobshite Grobellaar all ends up. This was one we did win.

Patrick McFarlane
115 Posted 10/11/2020 at 17:42:36
Tom #114
Yep, it was a goal and a half or 'half a goal' on TV, I didn't link that one because it comes after the other lot took a 3 goal lead and was merely a consolation. But in the clip below he scores a cracker and Everton won the game at Old Trafford.

Utd 76

Will #114
I take it you mean a certain 16-year old who's name I can't recall :)

Terry White
116 Posted 10/11/2020 at 17:52:04
I think you are looking for this, Tom (#114). Skip to around 6 minutes as you do not want to see what happened before then.

Also,

And then there is this

Martin Dobson was an elegant and classy midfield player, beautiful to watch him glide across the middle of the field. I did enjoy the front 5 of that time, King, Dobson, Latchford, McKenzie, Thomas. The side, in my view is vastly underrated and underappreciated as it came close to winning all the trophies but fell short.

Ken Kneale
117 Posted 10/11/2020 at 18:14:48
Terry - I think you are correct - we were close to being a very good side - it went wrong in my view when Gordon Lee took Mckenzie away and put in Mickey Walsh - we never had the same flow afterwards and it was the start of the end of lee's period as manager - he struggled for three more seasons if I recall but they were at times pretty dire performances.

Strange how Walsh's brother also came and wrecked us 38 years later!!

Eddie Dunn
118 Posted 10/11/2020 at 18:17:44
As a teenager, I fastidiously followed Everton in the papers, the Pink Echo, Radio Merseyside and Radio City.

From '74 to '77, I was obsessed but my best mate in our street was a Red and went with his Dad and his uncle every other week. I was envious, but most of my school mates were Reds and not many went to the match. My old man worked shifts and we had no car, and he wasn't into football (although he had been to Goodison a few times when he was 17 or so, just after the war.)

Eventually, me and a mate "Brownie" decided to go together and made the pilgrimage, a bus to Woodside, the ferry across the Mersey, and then a bus from Pier Head to Goodison. It was 1977-78 season and we had just bought George Wood and Dave Thomas and we were playing newly promoted Nottm Forest.

We somehow got into the Top Balcony, and I was amazed at a bloody escalator to get to the top! My first view of the pitch as we came up the stairs blew my mind, that intense green. We were in really early and watched the build-up from our lofty perch.

Forest won the league in that season and we finished about 4th. Dave Thomas caught the eye, he was lightening quick and his crosses were fabulous. We never went in the Top Balcony again, preferring the Street End and then Park End, but it was the beginning of a few years of going to almost every match until I went off to Art College, in Nottingham where I was lucky to see Nottm Forest and Notts County regularly.

Rob Halligan
119 Posted 10/11/2020 at 18:39:31
John (Patrick) # 115. I remember that United game in 1976 very well, particularly outside after the match. Scary as hell.
Will Mabon
120 Posted 10/11/2020 at 18:42:32
Patrick, yes! So similar.
121 Posted 10/11/2020 at 18:43:57
Ken@117 I was only watching the Everton v Bristol City game in 79 on youtube last night.

I was at the game in the Park end and it was a very cold Day, with Joe Royle playing for them.

There was only a few Bristol fans that turned up and the banter was, you must have come on a tractor.

The very player you mentioned Walsh was put on the subs bench and Andy King recalled for the game, King ended up scoring with his left foot, right foot and header for the perfect hatrick, to put us back top of the league.

I can only assume Walsh ended up starting some games later on, to start our free fall :-)

Duncan McDine
122 Posted 10/11/2020 at 18:58:45
Brian 121, you reminded me of a great FA Cup game away at Bristol City a few years back when Bakayoko made us go “Wow!” with a late brace (one of which was a fantastic free-kick). Unfortunately that was his only “Wow!” moment! It got a bit dodgy afterwards with the Brizzle hoolies looking for trouble but the police seemed quite used to it and settled things down!
Paul Hewitt
123 Posted 10/11/2020 at 19:03:30
Andy Gray. He helped transform us into the best.

In the current Premier League era? Not a single one.

Duncan McDine
124 Posted 10/11/2020 at 19:06:13
Patrick 108 - thanks for linking the vids. Looks like enjoyed taking about 12 touches too many in each of those clips!! Strangely enough, my dad met a guy through work who’s mates with McKenzie and I was lucky enough to get a ‘Happy Birthday’ phone call out of the blue from him on my 30th! I thought it was a wind up tbh.
Patrick McFarlane
125 Posted 10/11/2020 at 19:09:05
Rob #119,
I was also at Old Trafford that night, I sat in the stand to the left of the scoreboard end, personally I didn't see much bother that night, probably because we parked well away from the bulk of the Everton coaches. But generally, Old Trafford could be pretty scary – especially for night matches. I always found Maine Road far worse.
Neil Copeland
126 Posted 10/11/2020 at 19:17:56
In terms of "Wow!" moments, I think there are so many:

8-0 vs Southampton;
Dobbo's goal at Anfield;
Big Bobs 30 goals;
Andy King's screamer;
Sharpy's volley at Anfield;
5-0 vs Man Utd;
Trevor Stevens's goal against Sunderland;
4-0 away at Newcastle;
Ron's goal against Chelsea;
Rom's goal away at Man City (when Stekelenburg saved 2 pens);
3-0 League Cup Quarter-Final at Man Utd.

As I say, so many and I can think of loads more.

But the one that has and always will be top for me is hearing “We Shall Not Be Moved” sung at full volume. I love Goodison Park and will really miss it when we move to Bramley-Moore Dock (although I do realise the need to move forward).

Neil Copeland
127 Posted 10/11/2020 at 19:22:32
I went to Old Trafford that night as well, stood in the scoreboard end. Very scary after it.

I was 16 at the time and me and a mate grabbed hold of a police horsetail and followed it through the middle of the Mancs baying for blood.

Oh and how could I forget; 3-1 vs Bayern Munich.

Brian Murray
128 Posted 10/11/2020 at 19:42:02
That Old Trafford game my older brother somehow got me through the Mancs outside but there was hardly a window left on our coach. Weirdly I wasn't that scared maybe because I'd never seen us going to a big club and playing like that up until then in the 70s.
Ken Kneale
129 Posted 10/11/2020 at 20:05:45
Thanks Brian - as I recall, Walsh was bought by Gordon Lee as a 20-goal-a-season partner for Bob Latchford, but they never gelled. Bob's form dipped, Walsh I think contributed minimum goal return per game he played and the whole balance and form of the team was disrupted.

A great shame as Terry outlined – King, Dobson, Latchford, Thomas deserved better for their contributions in a blue shirt.

Stephen Vincent
130 Posted 10/11/2020 at 20:42:39
Ello, ello, Martin Dobo.

Bally (RIP) scoring 4 at WBA in a 6-2 win in 1968.

131 Posted 10/11/2020 at 21:02:57
The biggest support I saw at Old Trafford was the 1983 quarter-final, when Stapleton scored the winner in injury time. We had all the scoreboard end seats and terrace and round the corner up to the segregation.

I was in the Man Utd Stretford end with four other Evertonians, and when Stapleton scored there were loads in the Utd road end stood still with glum faces, but saying nothing, there must have been a good few hundred Evertonians, in that end.

132 Posted 10/11/2020 at 21:06:31
Some have said none in the Premier League era, I would like to throw a spanner in the works with Coleman doing his keepy-uppy against Arsenal and going the length of the field as well.

If that was not a "Wow!" moment, I give up.

Jeff Armstrong
133 Posted 10/11/2020 at 21:32:09
I was in the Everton end that day 37 years ago, Brian, and I haven't forgotten the words of an Evertonian behind me as the ball went in at the far end: “That's not fair” is all he said, still haunts me.

We didn't deserve that defeat that day.

Rennie Smith
134 Posted 11/11/2020 at 08:09:23
Trevor Steven's goal v Sunderland '85, being in the Gladwys in an all-round "wow" season. What a player he was, you can't compare against modern-day players but he'd walk into the current team.

Of course Rooney. It was all too brief but being at Leeds to see him score that goal in 2002 when he was just 17 and a scally like us is an indelible memory. The end went mental.

135 Posted 11/11/2020 at 13:52:20
Hi Jeff, yes quite a few of us felt the same way, after checking my post for some reason it is saying the Stretford end, which is not the case, we were alongside the touchline known as the Utd Road end, we would have been to the right of you in the ground, halfway between the away end, and the half way line.
136 Posted 11/11/2020 at 13:55:23
Speaking of Trevor Steven rennie, Kendall had to sell Steve McMahon, to raise the money to buy Trevor Steven.
137 Posted 11/11/2020 at 13:56:38
Type or paste your comment here. PLEASE capitalise initial letters of proper names and use proper grammar. No txt-speak; all-lowercase posts are likely to be deleted
Brian Harrison
138 Posted 11/11/2020 at 14:12:32
I think my first non Everton wow moment was when I saw Real Madrid play Man Utd at Old Trafford. Real had the brilliant Di Stephano, still one of the best centre forwards I have ever seen, they also had Ghento on the wing, Suarez in the forward line and Santa Maria at centre half. To me as a teenager I was in awe watching them.
Andrew Ellams
139 Posted 11/11/2020 at 14:38:00
Brian @ 97, there is a story (maybe a myth) that Shankly bumped into Dave Thomas in a restaurant one night and convinced Everton weren't going to offer him a pay rise when his contract expired. Thomas wasn't happy and left at the end of the season.

I'm sure Brian Viner tells the story in his 'Looking For The Toffees' book. (great read if you haven't already).

David Cash
140 Posted 11/11/2020 at 17:33:57
Scanning through the threads is a sobering experience at the moment. So well done Andy for instigating this one

WHL 1985. Goals from A Gray and Tricky Trev have us ahead against a very good Spurs team who were many peoples favourites to win the league.
When Spurs pulled one back, WHL became a cauldron. Roared on by their fans, Spurs quite literally through the kitchen sink.
We didnt just have A strong Character back then. The team was full of them. They would all step up to the plate at sometime during that season
It has to be said, Spurs probably gave us the most thorough examination that night. They were playing with such purpose and aggression. Nervous Evertonians were biting their nails and praying we would hold on. The clock was on go slow.
Despite our resilience an equalizer for our title rivals seemed a certainty.

Ball in from the wing. A Spurs player (I think it was Falco) drives in and meets the ball perfectly right on the bone of his forehead from point blank range. WHL exploded in celebration of the "Goal"
Neville Southall had other ideas. He somehow contrived to miraculously turn it over the top.
Astonished Evertonians celebrated as if we had just won the league. That's probably because we just had.

WOW

Stan Schofield
141 Posted 11/11/2020 at 18:16:02
If non-Everton "wows" are included, it has to be George Best, not for any particular thing. The best footballer I've ever seen.
James Reed
142 Posted 15/11/2020 at 01:00:23
So many wow moments, but as for who, I can't choose between Sheedy and Kanchelskis. Absolute class and consistent WTF from Sheeds over and over again, and for an unfortunately short spell, Andrei was amazingly direct, two great feet, decent in the air and greased lightning. The incredible derby stuffing just tops him off. In awe of both.
Steve Shave
143 Posted 15/11/2020 at 08:29:01
James Reed 142 boy could we do with a Kanchelskis now :)
Jeff Armstrong
144 Posted 15/11/2020 at 09:04:50
Another wow I’ve remembered was a Sharp over the shoulder volley in a Goodison game about 1983, might have been an FA cup tie, think the whole ground went Wow as nobody was expecting it, least of all Spurs keeper a certain R.Clemence, made it that bit wowier!
Kunal Desai
145 Posted 15/11/2020 at 11:02:28
I genuinely genuinely thought wow after we trounced Spurs in the semi final in 1995.

Really thought big Joe had us on the cusp of something special and bringing back the great days again.

Darren Hind
146 Posted 15/11/2020 at 12:00:13
Jeff

Clemence was asked, tongue in cheek, by Elton Welsby, "Did you nearly save it ?"

Fair play to clemence for a very funny answer - "I nearly saw it"

Casho

It's a pity the big fella didnt inspire you enough to avoid doing your David Lawson impersonation a few days later.

I know I have mentioned this once or twice before, but it should never, ever, be forgotten that you single handedly threw away a two goal lead and cost us a place in the final

Joe McMahon
147 Posted 15/11/2020 at 12:28:03
Non Everton wows, the following players, (PL era) Peter Schmeichel being on another level, Thierry Henry being mesmerising, Gianfranco Zolas trickery, Ian Wrights determination and Alan Shearers 25 yard thunder bolts.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

148 Posted 15/11/2020 at 12:37:22
Too many to list for me. And they are not only related to stunning goals or saves.

Going off on a slight tangent, any F1 fans among us?

I ask because the Turkish Grand Prix has just delivered a sporting 'WOW!' moment.

If Lewis Hamilton's drive today doesn't qualify as sporting genius, then I don't know what does.

What a way to seal his record-equaling 7th World Title.

Tom Bowers
149 Posted 15/11/2020 at 12:43:07
Well it certainly wasn't Kell Brook who, past his prime anyway should not have fought Terence Crawford last night.
A better match up may have been Amir Kahn but I think retirement is now the best option.

Lewis Hamilton should be the biggest ''wow'' now even though it is not quite what I consider a sport but still he is a Brit. and has conquered the World yet again.

150 Posted 15/11/2020 at 12:47:05
Tom (149), Kell was just cashing in on, hopefully, his last big pay day, I don’t think any boxing fan would begrudge him that, and he can finish now and enjoy his retirement.
151 Posted 15/11/2020 at 18:24:26
Going back to the original post re McKenzie, I remember reading a great article on Gordon Lee. In regards to Duncan McKenzie, he said, “I looked at the players on the pitch and thought, ‘Who would I like besides me in the trenches, which of these players could I count on?’”

For all the flair and swagger on McKenzie, he did not think he did anything to help his teammates out.

He saw Graeme Sharp and then Ian Rush and wanted both players; the board would only allow Lee to sign one of the two, with Sharp available for less, and so the board allowed Sharp to be bought.

Talk about Thomas was he was wanting a bigger contract and was advised from outside the club that he would get more money if he moved elsewhere.

Christine Foster
153 Posted 19/11/2020 at 07:52:04
Actually, there is one more who rarely gets a mention post Neville Southall, Nigel Martyn, a very, very good keeper! After him, it was all downhill in the keeper stakes! He was often compared to Southall but he would have got many more plaudits if Big Nev wasn't so fresh in the minds of us all!
Andrew Clare
154 Posted 19/11/2020 at 08:21:24
I agree Christine,
Nigel Martyn was definitely one of the best goalkeepers we have ever had.
Rennie Smith
155 Posted 19/11/2020 at 10:38:55
The bin-man was incredible, even when he's being a stroppy teenager and sitting on the post at half-time (can you imagine the media frenzy if a keeper did that these days!).

If we're talking about non-EFC then I remember being slightly mesmerised by Ryan Giggs in his early seasons at Utd. He used to rip us to pieces at Goodison, he had perfect balance on the ball, almost like he was skating around the pitch.

A few years back I went to a pre-season friendly of Barca v Roma and the starting 11 had Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Inestia, Xavi etc. My head was spinning trying to keep up with the inter-play from the stands, god knows what it was like for the Roma defenders!

156 Posted 19/11/2020 at 14:26:14
Christine (153), spot on as usual Christine,did his job calmly and without fuss, giving his defence total confidence.

Rennie(155), when Neville sat by the post at half time he had a cob on with Everton, we had had a good offer from Spurs to buy Southall, but wouldn’t let him go, he wanted to, Colin Harvey was the manager at the time, sitting by the goalposts was one of many tantrums at the time, like lashing his boots at the windows in the gym at Bellefield, good job they were tough, Neville was the best of the best, he had a right temper as well.

Rennie Smith
157 Posted 19/11/2020 at 15:14:57
He certainly was. I know someone who used to work for a car showroom in North Wales and Big Nev used to get a sponsored car from them every year or so. He had the pick of the range and every time went for the dullest/plainest version of a bog-standard model. Not because he didn't want to stand out and get noticed, just because that's what he liked, dull, normal, middle-of-the-road.

He could teach a few of today's players about keeping a low profile!

If we have had a thread on a "wow" moment, surely there has to be the opposite and have an "Oh FFS!" moment 😁

Tony Abrahams
158 Posted 19/11/2020 at 17:07:48
Peter Beagrie, smashing right through the window of the hotel foyer on a motorbike, would be right up there Rennie!
Darren Hind
159 Posted 19/11/2020 at 17:41:44
Nigel Martin ?

Fair. he belongs in there