VAR and the Liverpool

by   |   20/11/2020  11 Comments  [Jump to last]

VAR referee David Coote is being stood down from refereeing Liverpool's next game because he didn't advise the referee to give a red card to Jordan Pickford for that tackle on Virgil van Dijk.

This is a Kangaroo Court by a bunch of Rednecks and the VAR and newspapers go along and encourage it. What chance have we got for the rest of the season when all referees will be looking over their shoulders and probably wanting to get into their good books by punishing us at every turn?

I think Everton should make a formal complaint to the very top people. They cannot be dictated to by Liverpool because they don't like a decision made by VAR.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (11)

Stan Schofield
1 Posted 20/11/2020 at 09:35:06
It has seemed to me for some time that football at the top is corrupt. It has gradually put me off the game, because I see little point in watching any sport where so much money breeds corruption. I haven't actively turned away from it, but have gradually and passively become less interested in it, to a point where I hardly watch it now.

Everton could and of course should raise issues about the decision regarding Coote. There's little chance of anything being done to resolve such issues, because of the corruption, but issues should nevertheless be raised.

Kevin Prytherch
2 Posted 20/11/2020 at 09:40:14
I don’t make a habit of defending decisions regarding them, but...

I know it’s being widely reported that he’s been taken off VAR duty, but he has actually been promoted to referee the Man Utd game.

I’m sceptical on this one whether he has been taken off for this reason or whether it is media speculation.

If he has, then it’s yet more Liverpool bias.

Patrick McFarlane
3 Posted 20/11/2020 at 09:40:25
I'm unsure why the big six don't have a set of embedded match officials that travel with the squad to every fixture that they play, at least that way we'd all know what to expect - then again we already know don't we?

Make an error of judgement against the chosen clubs and you suffer the consequences, make a decision in favour of the other clubs and you'll suffer the consequences, ergo the officials will always give the 60-40 decisions to their paymasters' faves.

Derek Thomas
4 Posted 20/11/2020 at 09:53:29
...and we won't say one 'kin word, not a bleat.
Tony Abrahams
5 Posted 20/11/2020 at 10:06:16
I’ve said it that many times it becomes boring, but how can a man whose two sons have got Liverpool FC season tickets, genuinely be allowed to referee any games involving Liverpool?

Barry Rathbone
6 Posted 20/11/2020 at 10:18:40
The top man at the ref's club, or whatever they call it, needs to grow a pair.

Criticism by any manager should be met with a loud and public "go fuck yourself you gormless twat!!".

Don't care if it's Everton, RS, the mancs or anyone this ludicrous ref baiting needs to stop

Chris Williams
7 Posted 20/11/2020 at 10:29:58
I think I read that on Sunday our ‘team’ is Madely on the field and Mason on VAR. I have a recollection of that pair fucking us over last season, when VAR, or Mason overruled the On field referee or Madely for the first time, and awarded a controversial penalty.

I don’t think we’ll complain!

Brian Harrison
8 Posted 20/11/2020 at 10:32:13
I don't think there was anything wrong when they decided to bring in VAR for clear and obvious mistakes, but thanks to David Ellary ( a useless ref) and Colina they decided it would have a massively greater impact than was originally intended.
I would like them to go back to what it was initially intended to do which was to correct any clear and obvious mistakes.
Not to decide on every tackle or every possible offside, we have now reached the position were someones sleeve could be offside. I think we would all be happy if the ref and the linesman make any offside decision and only ask the ref to view VAR if someone is more than a yard offside. I mean the latest thing is now linesmen don't put there flag up for clear offsides they have to wait to be told by VAR to put the flag up 10/15 seconds after the incident.

Please lets go back to refs and linesmen making the call and for VAR to only ask them to look at the monitor if something clear and obvious has happened. Not someone's arm or big toe is offside, and maybe stop endless replays by TV trying to cause more problems for refs by suggesting someone was 2 inches offside. I mean all we have seen prior to VAR coming in was pundits on live games or MOTD looking at fouls from different angles or possibly someone being fractionally offside. Yes there will be mistakes but at least we can go back to celebrating when a goal is scored and not have to wait 4/5 minutes for VAR to check its a goal. There is nothing wrong with VAR its refs wanting absolute decisions to be made by someone other than the match officials.

Dennis Stevens
9 Posted 20/11/2020 at 11:30:41
Hear! Hear! Brian, quite right. If the incident being reviewed via VAR cannot be clearly decided upon within 30 seconds of stopping the match then the referee's original decision should stand, even if he's made a mistake. We could then get away from these enormous breaks in the play, which still often result in an incorrect decision being made.
Andrew Ellams
10 Posted 20/11/2020 at 13:16:05
This guy is one of the worst on the poorest refereeing panel I've ever seen at the top level in this country.
Alan J Thompson
11 Posted 21/11/2020 at 10:23:40
Strangely, if the Offside rule had not been changed in the first place and remained that you needed to have two defenders between you and the goal in the oppositions half then there might not be a problem about arms, toecaps and other little bits hanging over that line. Similarly, handball should be about diverting the path of the ball or bringing it under control, intent, rather than hitting you on the way through.

Common sense or intransigence?