All I want for Christmas...

by   |   27/12/2020  20 Comments  [Jump to last]

So, 15 games in, not quite the half-way point, and we sit 2nd in the Premier League, 2 points behind Liverpool. We have a lengthy injury list and some players are also starting to look tired... so, as a belated Christmas present, what or who should be on Santa Moshiri's Christmas list?

Against Man Utd, I think it showed that squad depth is an issue; we just don't have class to replace class. Tom Davies replacing Allan is like swapping your Ferrari for a Ford Focus (nowt wrong with a Focus but there is with headless Tom). In my opinion, we seem more settled in defence, so I think we need to concentrate on other areas.
The lack of defensive midfield cover is apparent; I would like to see Gbamin back and see what he's got.

The main area for me that needs some additions is upfront, although Iwobi is playing better (he still shits out of any physical battle, even when he's favourite to win it) without Rodriguez or Richarlison, we struggle to make chances and big Dom is looking more isolated as each game goes on.

So please, Santa Moshiri, can I please have a Wilfred Saha and a decent striker as my belated Christmas gift?

Where do you think we need additions and who would you like to see brought in?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (20)

Patrick McFarlane
1 Posted 27/12/2020 at 22:04:13
Is Wilfred Saha a cousin of King Louis Saha? It would be fun to see Zaha at Goodison, but it's probably beyond our means in January and his age might prove prohibitive too as he'll likely want a pretty long contract.
Jason Wilkinson
2 Posted 27/12/2020 at 22:26:59
Zaha would be a welcome addition. Only problem is... would his character fit in? Would he rotate with Richarlison? I think we will see a youngster signed and maybe a loan deal from Spain or Italy.
Brian Williams
3 Posted 27/12/2020 at 22:47:51
Well, if you go by what Ancelotti's said to two different news outlets, then there'll be no new additions in January.
Jay Harris
4 Posted 27/12/2020 at 22:52:44
I was watching Zaha and Grealish yesterday and thought what a difference either of those 2 players would make to our team.

I guess we will have to settle for Isco if anybody because I believe the cupboard is bare except for outgoings maybe funding a loan or something.

Jim Jennings
5 Posted 27/12/2020 at 23:41:10
Jay,

I believe Isco is on his way to Juventus. Not to worry, we still have Bernard...

Tony Everan
6 Posted 29/12/2020 at 08:27:51
There’s many doubts about Zaha but I think he would be a good acquisition. He virtually carries Crystal Palace year after year and is often their only threat. At Everton things would be different he would be a component of a better team with better players. Not a one man band. This could give him even more freedom to be more direct and attack without fear.

He could be a player that makes a difference between a top 4 finish and a top 6. He’s getting older but he is a beast of an athlete. He has four or five years left in him at the top so that tempers how much we should pay, there’s no resale . If Brands can do a player swap deal plus cash it would be a master stroke. Otherwise, I don’t think we will be overpaying for him and we will be looking at exciting, younger, alternatives.

Steve Brown
7 Posted 29/12/2020 at 08:39:47
An athletic and pacey right-back, defensive midfielder and striker please.
Ajay Gopal
8 Posted 29/12/2020 at 08:52:35
Imagine if we had got Zaha all those years ago instead of Bolasie. Thank you, Koeman, thank you Steve Walsh (angry face).

We could have afforded him in the summer, I believe, but now his value would have sky-rocketed because of his goals and performances. Minimum 50 million. Assuming that Moise Kean continues to storm the French league, can we expect something in that range of money if we sell him to PSG? What do Blues think of swapping out 21 year old Kean for 28 year old Zaha? I would be worried about having a lot of key players in the 28+ category: James, Allan, Siggy, Doucoure (turns 28 next week), Coleman, but then I get that it is good to have a mix of age profiles. So, if that piece of business were to happen in summer, I would be happy, also given that hopefully, we will be in Europe and hence need a big enough squad.

Oh, and to the original poster, I think that was an unnecessary dig at Tom Davies - especially if you go by his performance in the last 2 games. Let us be a bit patient, eh? and see if he turns out to be a Ferrari himself?

Robert Tressell
9 Posted 29/12/2020 at 09:43:52
Zaha would definitely improve us but that ship has sailed. As others have said, we should have bought him earlier in his career.

Buying him now would use up the money (fee and wages) we need to strengthen quite a few positions.

It'd also be a bit like the purchase of Sigurdsson. Buying the 28yr old talisman of a small Prem club at top dollar when none of the really big clubs are interested. Like Sigurdsson, Zaha also failed at a big club earlier in his career. I know it's a bit different but none of us would take Sigurdsson again if we could go back in time.

Plenty of better value, younger alternatives to Zaha out there and available (albeit more in summer than Jan). We should shop in that market.

Colin Glassar
10 Posted 29/12/2020 at 10:05:21
What about that Sarr (?) kid from Watford? He’s about 21 and looks a real talent and wouldn’t cost a bomb. Even playing for a poor Watford team he, and Doucoure, stood out like two shining gems.
Robert Tressell
11 Posted 29/12/2020 at 10:11:25
Sarr is very good, Colin. He won't be sold while Watford are in a promotion race - but would be available if they miss out. He cost them £30m so they'd be looking for more, I expect. The best value is usually overseas, although Olise of Reading and McNeill of Burnley would be the right sort of profile too and not hugely expensive for various reasons.
Colin Glassar
12 Posted 29/12/2020 at 10:28:15
Robert, I remember Sarr tearing our neighbours apart last season (2 goals and an assist). They are also interested in him but like you say, Watford are unlikely to let him go this window.

McNeill is another player I like but he’s slower than Ismail, less direct and plays in Richarlison’s position. I believe our right side is still weak despite Iwobi improving ever so slightly.

Robert Tressell
13 Posted 29/12/2020 at 11:12:39
Sarr is the sexy sort of signing, goals and pace etc. McNeill offers something different but the likes of Godfrey have reminded me just how important it is to have hard working British players in the squad. They don't necessarily have a great youtube showreel, but they make a difference in matches with their workrate and discipline. McNeill also delivers a steady supply of crosses into the box, covers his full back well and can play LW, LWB or RW. They would probably both be excellent signings for different reasons. Minimum £35m for either, I expect, but either could be an important part of the first team reckoning for 10 years.
Brian Murray
14 Posted 29/12/2020 at 11:29:28
Any of them will add quality with it paving the way it seems for bolasie and at least tosun in their way. No excuse for Brands because it frees up wages. Coyb get the deals done. Asap.
Ajay Gopal
15 Posted 29/12/2020 at 14:11:15
I also note that Diego Costa has terminated his contract with Atletico Madrid and is available for signing on a free. He is still only 32, knows the PL well and is a nasty f**ker to play against. If Brands can work out a short term contract with him, he could turn out to be our own Ibra/Cavani/Giroud and give a good option up front. Of course, we would not be the only ones interested- apparently Arsenal and Wolves are already sniffing around.
Tony Everan
16 Posted 29/12/2020 at 15:24:53
Ajay, if he was fit and up for it Costa would be a tremendous loan signing. Not sure if he still the same player as he was three or four years ago.
Robert Tressell
17 Posted 29/12/2020 at 15:37:14
Didn't realise that Ajay. Yes, Diego Costa was released by Athletico today. He's a free agent. He's scored 12 league goals since returning to Spain 3 and a half seasons ago. I guess we could give him a 6 month contract as experienced back up, but not sure whether his heart is really in it anymore. But it generally is slim pickings in Jan.
Ajay Gopal
18 Posted 29/12/2020 at 16:02:43
Yes, Robert, the Brazilian contingent that we have here will make him feel right at home.
Mike Gaynes
19 Posted 29/12/2020 at 16:07:04
Robert/Tony/Ajay, Costa has played exactly 37 minutes (3 sub appearances) since October. Anybody signing him had better watch him train for a few days first.

But as a free agent Costa is likely the only kind of signing we would make, because as Brian points out, Carlo says we won't be buying anybody in January.

Brian Murray
20 Posted 29/12/2020 at 16:14:38
Let’s hope it’s a Carlo smokescreen because at least two additions of quality will make the difference between nearly and a glorious season.