A suitable role for ex-players

by   |   17/01/2021  15 Comments  [Jump to last]

I have just read that Marcel Brands is suggesting that the club should start recruiting more ex-players into coaching positions. Various names have been mentioned including Neville Southall, Paul Gasgoine, Phil Jagielka and others.

Not long ago, there was discussion about the merits of a 'bootroom' mentality at Goodison Park; some were in favour but, at that particular time when the club's fortunes were at a low point, many were pointing a finger at too much old-boy involvement.

There is no doubt that today's Everton, under the ownership of Farhad Moshiri, is a long way removed from what we had before. There certainly appears to be more business nouse about and the whole backroom team seem to be working well, with a common goal.

I have no particular feelings whether we need more ex-players at Finch Farm or not. Some have already described the club as a rest or retirement home for past-it players. What I am certain about, though, is that nearly every Evertonian I speak to is absolutely fed up with the lack of representation as media commentators.

Football – whatever your stance about VAR, a contactless future, and a no-heading game – is nevertheless big business and nowhere is this more apparent than in the £Millions being spent by the likes of Sky Sports, BT Sport, Amazon Prime, BBC and whoever else has the pennies to air matches.

Granted, there are one or two ex-players that come to mind who have managed to squeeze into the mould. There is no indication that the mould has been cracked, never mind broken. To have any media influence at all, Everton must start a programme of training a new breed of commentators and promote them to do an 'unbiased' job of work for Everton, just as the likes of Carragher, Neville, and Owen regularly give the world their own brand of 'unbiased' views.

In my opinion, this is the area the club should be targeting; ex-players should not be considered too old for the job, look at St John, Thompson, McManamman, Souness and a myriad of other Golden Oldies that our dear neighbours manage to role out on a regular basis.

I read that Everton should copy the Liverpool financial blueprint… Everton are the Blues, we should establish our own blueprint and start a programme of indoctrinating the next generations into what it means to be a Blue – through the words and experiences of its former players.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (15)

Harry Williams
1 Posted 17/01/2021 at 21:59:27
It's great that we have ex players in the set up, as long as they are qualified and contribute. Hopefully Tim Cahill will get a role in some capacity, I remember when Ferguson was receiving criticism, ‘what does he do’ etc, well look how that turned out!

Let’s all get behind our club and players, past and present! COYB!!

Jerome Shields
2 Posted 18/01/2021 at 17:46:52
I have mixed feelings about ex players at Everton, particularly seeing Kenwright&Co thrive in such a environment rather than perform as they ought. Ex players taking up roles having not done their time learning the trade in lower divisons or in menial roles at Everton is not much use when they are wheeled out to appease fans. Michael Ball , a ex Evertonian does a reasonable job , as does Carragher a Evertonian at heart. But you are always going to get Clowns like Kean and the like being pushed forward.

Ferguson is a different case volunteering to start with. Eventually getting a role in the lowest run of the coaching ladder. Taking years of keeping his nose clean, mouth shut, carrying the kit bag, staying in the background and slowly but surely learning his trade getting his badges, wanting the best for Everton. He was loyal to every Manager he worked under, though I am sure he had his own opinions.

If this is the best that Brands can come out with at a Board meeting, my advice would be to shut his mouth, just in case' Pretty Polly' slips out.

Thomas Richards
3 Posted 18/01/2021 at 17:52:19
Cahill.?
Baines.?

Yes please.

Thomas Richards
4 Posted 18/01/2021 at 17:52:41
Cahill.?
Baines.?

Yes please.

Tony Abrahams
5 Posted 18/01/2021 at 18:11:47
Steven Pienaar is exactly the type of player I think about when Brands talks about ex players
Thomas Richards
6 Posted 18/01/2021 at 18:14:41
Pienaar another good shout Tony.

Off topic but on topic if you know what I mean.
Ive been following this young mans progress.
Inspirational.
@billymooreAPBD

Joe McMahon
7 Posted 18/01/2021 at 18:33:01
I thought Baines and Pienaar already have some kind of role? I just wont be satisfied until John Oster joins up, along with Tony Hibbert.
Thomas Richards
8 Posted 18/01/2021 at 18:37:38
Who would you prefer to be coaching our youngsters Joe?
Mike Gaynes
9 Posted 18/01/2021 at 19:00:56
Harry #1 and Thomas #3, Cahill's already with us, isn't he? Coaching the U-16s I believe.

Baines is already on staff as well -- player development coach for the U23's and U18s.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Peanuts got his UEFA A coaching license and is working with the youngsters at Ajax.

Brian Hennessy
10 Posted 18/01/2021 at 19:18:00
Speaking of ex-players, I still can't believe my local club (Waterford FC) now has two former Everton players, Kevin Sheedy and Mike Newell as manager and assistant manager.

First interview with the pair today Link

Joe McMahon
11 Posted 18/01/2021 at 19:33:09
Thomas @8, I don't care as long as they are quaifiled and as it's 2021, experience of European and international football. If they happen to have played for Everton that's fine, but as far as I know no one on the Man City, and Liverpool coaching teams are ex players. Klopp has changed the mentatility of that lot, SAF did, I just can't buy in the peoples club bollox and the Everton Family. Out of all Evertons ex players mentioned, Tim Cahill is the standout natural fighter/winner.
Thomas Richards
12 Posted 18/01/2021 at 19:37:11
Thanks Joe.

The Ancelottis wont allow ex players to be appointed unless they are capable, in my opinion.

Brian Murray
13 Posted 18/01/2021 at 19:59:34
Joe post 11. The likes of Jeffers and Ebbrell still hoping to stay on board our gravy train for as long as possible
Mary Coleman
14 Posted 18/01/2021 at 21:46:48
Post @11,

Joe, you say you can't buy into The People's Club bollox and the Everton Family... why? And why would you even mention it?

Everton in the Community do an incredible job in our City and help so many people. I take it you don't live in the city?

Stop being so negative about our great Club. Let's support our community work, and, we are the People's Club. Big Dunc and Tim Cahill would be a great manager and assistant in the future. Let's get behind our great team.

Jerome Shields
15 Posted 20/01/2021 at 05:50:36
Mike #9

Is Cahill already with us, better as a pundit? Maybe he is now a failed pundit. Haven't come across him for a while. I wasn't in favour of Baines either. This ex-player stuff smells of Blue Bill and Barrett-Baxendale, rather than a professional Director of Football. At least Pienaar is making an effort if that is true.

As for Ancelotti, even he has to keep in, that's what Baines's appointment is about IMO.

Mary #14

After years of observation, there are different opinions with some truth in them.