Two games in hand or the points in the bag?

by   |   21/01/2021  13 Comments  [Jump to last]

After last night’s round of games, we sit 6th with two games in hand over Man Utd and Leicester City and a game in hand over Man City and Liverpool. Is having two games in hand a good thing or would we have been better off with the points?

I wish we had played those games and seen where we are. I would rather have the points myself. I also believe not playing a competitive game for so long will be counter productive. Could having two games in hand scupper our top four chances?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (13)

Gerry Morrison
1 Posted 23/01/2021 at 02:31:06
Our two games in hand are Man City and Aston Villa; not exactly easy points.
Mike Kennedy
2 Posted 23/01/2021 at 05:19:45
I agree with Gerry.

I am sorry to sound defeatist but I will be pleased with 7th this season and qualification for the new third tier Europa Conference League (we may stand a chance) – oh, and winning the FA Cup.

Tony Everan
3 Posted 23/01/2021 at 06:59:10
If Man City are without De Brunye and have game congestion with away trips to Europe, coupled with us having Allan back fully fit, then the delayed game is better for us. Still not easy!

Same goes for Aston Villa, if we've got Allan back, we are stronger. But again a tough game, I've watched Villa and Grealish is unplayable at times.

I'd take 4 points from those two games if they were offered now, and run.

I've recalibrated my expectations, I think we are a gradually improving whilst others are faltering. 7th would be an improvement but now I'm looking higher than that. With very good luck on the injury front and a forward signed on loan (Zirkzee?) we can get into the top 4. Why not? The rest of them have weaknesses and are inconsistent.

Fortune favours the bold!

Derek Thomas
4 Posted 23/01/2021 at 07:30:49
Man City & Man Utd are showing some consistency. At the moment there are 5 or 6 inconsistent teams playing for 3rd position and down.

It all depends where you are in your cycle of inconsistency... doing well – or doing badly, when the music stops after game 38.

This being Everton, albeit a seemingly harder to beat Everton, we could finish 3rd or 8th. Like Tony, I'd take 4 points, especially if 3 were from City.

David Greenwood
5 Posted 23/01/2021 at 07:34:27
Obviously we would rather have the points, but we are in a really good position. Our games in hand are clearly tough but there's no reason why we can't win them. Just because they are tough doesn't mean we can’t win them. And of course these games won’t be easy for Man City or Aston Villa, they won't fancy playing us.

There is no standout team this season, so why should we not aim for top four, top two or even top?

Robert Tressell
6 Posted 23/01/2021 at 07:50:01
Tony, the agony this season is that we're only 6 points behind Man City in 2nd and only 6 points ahead of Villa in 11th. There is everything to play for but it's going to be so tight. Goal difference could be the decider – and ours is not great.

You mention Grealish and De Bruyne. What players they are. Someone asked what sort of player Odegaard is and I offered some suggestions – but actually I think these 2 are good comparisons. Odegaard could be our Grealish or De Bruyne... unless Arsenal get him first!

Steve Shave
7 Posted 23/01/2021 at 08:23:57
Robert, I really like Odegaard too, I just think it would be difficult to play him and James. Unless I am mistaken, I am not sure he would put the work in required to supplement James's inclusion, therefore my hope is elsewhere.

Grealish is some player and will go to one of the big boys in the summer, I want to see him regularly for England.

Derek Thomas
8 Posted 23/01/2021 at 08:30:35
David @ 5; Some might say they played the Covid card to avoid us... but I couldn't possibly comment.

Very coincidental though.

Terence Leong
9 Posted 23/01/2021 at 08:33:27
With all due respect, it's a bit hard to say whether we would have gotten any points when we would have played both teams, as originally scheduled.

Not having played them yet, simply means that we still can play a part in what we can get. Thus, while they are not easy games to play, knowing that "there's all to play for" in a literal sense, makes it worthwhile.

De Bruyne will be out for almost two months, Aston Villa seem to be stuttering a little at the moment. So, we could be playing these two teams, when they are not as in peak form (Man City is on the up, but who knows what losing De Bruyne can do to them, and Champions League is resuming as well).

Thus, it's really a moot point here, but I would prefer to be hopeful about our chances to keep climbing up the table.

In the meantime, to seek to overcome Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup 3rd round.

David Greenwood
10 Posted 23/01/2021 at 08:58:48
Derek, yeah that was very convenient for them.

At that point we were flying and they weren't.
And they were able to play their very next game.

Tony Everan
11 Posted 23/01/2021 at 09:24:28
Robert, Steve. it’s looking like Odegaard is going to Arsenal on a loan deal. Real wary of letting him go too cheaply if he is a roaring success.

What could be interesting is that Richarlison has already made it clear he wants to move on for Champions League football. (He may well get it with us ). Odegaard comes to us on loan and could be a replacement for Richarlison he wants out in the summer. A ready made deal with a top quality player coming in for us that may well suit Real Madrid too.

Rumours we are scouting a young Norwegian lad called Sivert Mannsverk, 18 years old. A central midfielder. A Branthwaite/ Nkounkou- esque type signing. A host of clubs looking to bring him into their set up, Ajax, Villa, some Italian clubs. He definitely looks like a talent from the clips.

Bobby Mallon
12 Posted 25/01/2021 at 10:34:26
A lot have said De bruyne will be out. But when city cancelled using the covid card they had 4/5 first team players out and as Derek and David have said above we where on a proper roll playing very well. Villa the same. But where able to play 3 days later. I think we would have 4 extra points if we would have played both teams. Just my opinion
Ralph Basnett
13 Posted 30/01/2021 at 18:12:40
I don’t understand why you would ask such a stupid question!

So Everton, do you want six points or play your two games?

😕