Ted Sagar

by   |   25/01/2021  15 Comments  [Jump to last]

I was interested in the appearance record for this late great goalkeeper and recall seeing him in his final days at Wolves. My father took me to Wolves to see my first ever game, and I’m pretty sure that it was a reserve team, Central League game as there was only a small crowd, around 1950 (?).

I was only about ten years old but I clearly remember being behind the goal net when the goalkeeper made a fantastic flying save to deny a Wolves goal. I said to my dad, “What a great save, dad! Who is that?”

I always remember him saying, “Best keeper you’ll ever see, that’s Ted Sagar, son.”

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (15)

Dave Abrahams
1 Posted 26/01/2021 at 13:17:28
Ted Sagar was Everton's goalkeeper when I first started going to see the Blues. Safe as houses, was Ted, gave his defenders a tongue-lashing if they cocked up.

Another player whose career was spoiled by the 6 years wasted in the Second World War, no doubt his career record would have been much increased without that episode. I think he spent 23 years on Everton's books.

I remember him because of his agility and fearless nature guarding Everton's goal because he was only slight for a ‘keeper and they got knocked all over the place in those days, plus he had plenty to do in a very mediocre team and struggling club.

Dennis Stevens
2 Posted 28/01/2021 at 13:35:07
Before my time, but the marvellous evertonresults.com website has this to say in their Previous Legends section:

"There are few players in the Everton back catalogue as legendary as goalkeeper Ted Sagar.

He was at Everton for 24 years and five weeks and made 497 appearances in all competitions - a figure surpassed by only Neville Southall, Brian Labone and Dave Watson. In the League only Southall has played more than Sagar's 463 matches. If it hadn't been for the interruption of the Second World War then who knows what total he may have clocked up.

Sagar was a brave 'keeper, famed for his headfirst dives at the feet of onrushing forwards and for his ability to come and claim crosses. To survive for so long in an era when it was legitimate for forwards to barge the goalkeeper around practically at will is a testament to how good Sagar was.

He won two League titles with Everton in 1931/32 and 1938/39, as well as the FA Cup in 1933 and the Second Division title in 1930/31. He also won four England caps, making his debut against Northern Ireland in Belfast in October 1935.

His last game for Everton before retirement came in November 1952 at Plymouth at the age of 42 years and 281 days - the oldest player ever to play for the club."

What in incredible career he had!

Dave Abrahams
3 Posted 28/01/2021 at 18:44:46
Dennis (2), I was thinking about Ted Sagar’s last game for Everton and I think it was because Jimmy O’Neill was playing for Eire the next day ( Sunday).

I remember one of his games very late in his career at Goodison Park, when we played Tranmere Rovers in the final of the Liverpool Senior cup, we won 4-1, if I’m not mistaken and after the game Ted was presented with a cheque as a reward for long service.

John McFarlane Snr
4 Posted 28/01/2021 at 19:03:56
Hi Dave [3] I was at the Tranmere game, and as you say, it was the Liverpool Senior Cup final, and Ted Sagar was carried off by his team-mates.
Bill Watson
5 Posted 28/01/2021 at 19:07:05
Ted Sagar was before my time but I worked with his son (Dave?) in Standard Triumph in the 1970s. I think Ted ran the Blue Anchor pub, out Aintree way, after he retired.

Amongst the workforce in Standards were Jimmy Tansey and Ted Buckle. How times have changed! These days they'd have been millionaires.

Dave Abrahams
6 Posted 28/01/2021 at 19:23:22
John (4), nearly seventy years ago, how time flies!!

Bill(5),Jimmy Tansey, left back, I think he played in that never to be forgotten FA cup match at Goodison when Liverpool beat us 4-0 and they were in the second division, did I mention they were in that division for eight years!! Ted Buckle, part of our squad when we won promotion in 1954, he later went to Exeter City and I think his grandson later played for them.

John McFarlane Snr
7 Posted 29/01/2021 at 15:31:33
Hi Dave [6] you're right, it's said that time fly's when you're enjoying yourself, I think that you and I have had a share of enjoyment, but regrettably a larger share of misery.
I would like you to be the first one to be notified of the fact that I have succumbed to the lure of [soulless, crowd less, televised] football.
I am prepared to be the target of ridicule from some quarters, but as they say "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" I was tempted by the Manchester United vs Liverpool FA Cup tie, and having watched that I felt that I had to watch the Everton vs Sheffield Wednesday game
Dave Abrahams
8 Posted 29/01/2021 at 15:41:50
John (7), yes we’ve supported the Blues for a great length of time and seen more hard times than good ones, we’ve also seen some fabulous footballers for the Toffees and the opposition, the good times have been worth waiting for and I wouldn’t begrudge one minute of being an Evertonian, bet you feel the same, from the crib to the grave!!!

As for watching football on tv or not, it’s your decision and I think you’ve always been your own man, so do whatever pleases you and enjoy it, you won’t be hurting anyone.

Thomas Richards
9 Posted 29/01/2021 at 15:57:55
Dave and John.
Two elder statesmen of TW.

A favour please gents.
Please continue the dialogue, ive got an hour to spare here.
Really enjoy you both reminiscing.

John McFarlane Snr
10 Posted 29/01/2021 at 20:42:03
Hi Thomas [9] I'm afraid that nowadays I need a prod to awaken most of the memories, [or maybe a bottle of Guinness] and most of my enthusiasm was knocked out of me by various managers. I find relief in revisiting the books, and photos of past glory's, and being able to say "I was there"
I really sympathise with younger fans who have seen nothing resembling success, it's going to be twenty six years since we won the FA Cup and anyone under the age of thirty is unlikely to have a memory of that. Being a believer that anything can happen in a game of football, has carried me through the dark days, and I still cling on to the thought that this could be our year.
Bill Watson
11 Posted 30/01/2021 at 05:18:12
Dave and John.

I'm fortunate enough to still have been able to go to all games, home and away, so hadn't seen us on Tv for years.
However, I have to admit I've been watching all this lockdown season's games on TV via a link from a friend (don't ask). They often have a foreign commentary but I don't particularly listen to the British commentaries anyway!
I find being a teleclapper far more stressful than actually being there!

George Carroll
12 Posted 30/01/2021 at 10:36:17
I too was fortunate to see Ted Sagar.He did run the Blue Anchor pub just over the canal bridge.His son went to Warbreck school and wore his dads international jersey when he played in goal. Happy days
Dave Abrahams
13 Posted 30/01/2021 at 10:46:49
Bill (11), I am with you there on watching TV, I have football matches on mute no matter who is playing, listened to Michael Owen on one game, for half an hour before switching him off, fancy sitting next to him in the match, never shuts up for a minute, and so bleedin’ boring. Switch the sound off and concentrate on the game.
Brian Wilkinson
14 Posted 31/01/2021 at 00:12:34
I tried putting it on mute Dave but must have been a technical issue with my remote control.

Each time I pressed the mute button, our midfield froze and stood still, not sure if it was malfunctioning to pause instead, or that we were just shite and static.

Dave Abrahams
15 Posted 31/01/2021 at 08:33:18
Brian (14), l'd have an educated guess at that one!!