Everton in the FA Youth Cup

by   |   11/04/2021  17 Comments  [Jump to last]

I am working on a site which takes Everton through the years from the first FA Youth Cup competition back in 1952-53. I am still adding details including match reports, teamsheets etc.

The main site is https://evertonfayouthcuphistory.webador.co.uk/ but from there you can go to pages with all match results and also pages showing a season-by-season review.

Hope it's interesting and useful, I am always on the lookout for additional info, there are two bits I am missing - The first is our scorers in 1958-59 when we beat Leeds United 3-0 in the 1st Round and also the date of the 4th Round tie against Stoke City back on 1967-68.

Any comments or additional info you think would be useful please let me know. I have completed up to 1988-89 but am adding details each week.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (17)

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
1 Posted 11/04/2021 at 21:35:49
This is a great endeavour, Andy. Always impressed by anyone who takes the time to assemble unique historical information about The Blues.

I'm curious to see if you've used the British Newspaper Archive? And how that worked for you? I've been thinking about splashing out on the annual sub as the Liverpool Echo is now archived right up to 1999.

That might allow me to fill in some holes in our older pages here so that we could present a more complete online record of all the Blues teams in the Internet age... whch just happens to coincide with When FootBall Began (according to Sky TV).

Andy Weir
2 Posted 11/04/2021 at 21:53:52
Hi Michael, yes, I singed up and have an account, found it really useful. Although Daily Post isn't available after 1949 and Echo after 1999. If you want to test it let me know, I have an account, give me a call if you need to - 0779 5551718
Ron Marr
3 Posted 12/04/2021 at 01:57:55
This a great stuff Andy. Thanks for sharing. It’s fascinating to see the names of all the youth players, and recall who became stars, both for Everton and opponents. Shouldn’t have sold David Johnson to Ipswich (?). C’est la vie. Hindsight is 20/20 vision.
Dennis Stevens
4 Posted 13/04/2021 at 15:54:22
All the best with your endeavours, Andy. One only has to look at the excellent evertonresults.com to see how such a project can evolve.
Dave Abrahams
5 Posted 13/04/2021 at 16:07:50
Looking back through another link, Everton FA Youth Cup results from the fifties, it was fascinating looking at all the scorers through the years and some of the names took me back to some great youth team matches and familiar names cropping up.

One name in the fifties was a great little footballer, for me. He never made the grade with Everton and went back to Scotland with one of the Dundee clubs: David Bonner, a midfielder with great dribbling and passing skills.

Ron (3), I think David Johnson was sold along with Alan Whittle after a bit of scandal emerged after a game at Notts Forest, might have been another player involved.

Watching Johnson play for Liverpool Boys along with Bill Kenny (Billbo), most fans would have expected Kenny to make the grade rather than Johnson. Later on, his son, Billy Kenny, let a good promising career go to the dogs.

Chris Williams
6 Posted 13/04/2021 at 16:11:50
Dave,

Was the other player Henry Newton?

I remember Davy Boner too from watching the reserves so much. Another youth player I thought might make it was Keith Webber, a centre forward who couldn’t stop scoring at that level.

Dave Abrahams
7 Posted 13/04/2021 at 16:53:26
Chris (6),I’d say no it wasn’t Henry Newton, because Newton was signed from Forest and I think it was another younger Everton player who was involved in that scandal, but I couldn’t say for certain.

Keith Webber a big strong striker, I think he got a few games in the first team Chris, don’t know where he went after leaving the Blues.

Chris Williams
8 Posted 13/04/2021 at 16:55:13
Was it Wrexham?
Dave Abrahams
9 Posted 13/04/2021 at 17:03:00
Chris (8),

I just looked Keith Webber's career up.

He left Everton for Brighton, then he went to Wrexham and played for a few more lower- and non-league clubs before he went in the licensing trade. Then gave that up because of ill health and sadly died, in Wrexham, following a heart attack at the very early age of 40.

Chris Williams
10 Posted 13/04/2021 at 17:07:55
That's sad Dave. After all that early promise too.

"Enjoy every sandwich," was a phrase used by an American singer called Warren Zevon. Meaning just enjoy the moment because you never know what's on the way.

Andy Weir
11 Posted 17/04/2021 at 09:25:24
All updates there for each season now, I will have to trawl through programmes from 2000 onwards for the club's review of games, will add as I find them.
Alan Siddorn
12 Posted 27/04/2021 at 15:27:21
Great work Andy. A couple of things that I hope might help.

12/10/1959 Blackburn v Everton (1). This game was definitely played on the 13th and not the 12th. Both the Red Echo and the Daily Post have match reports on the game.

13/1/1965 Blackburn v Everton (3). This game was played on Jan 6th not Jan 13th. The wrong date was printed on the programme. See on the programme that the next home game for Blackburn is shown as 9/1/1965. Also there is a match report in the Red Echo on 7/1/1965.

Andy Weir
13 Posted 01/05/2021 at 14:21:01
Thanks, Alan. I will look into that and update the site.
Andy Weir
14 Posted 01/05/2021 at 16:42:23
All updated now, that explains why I couldn't find the match report originally
Dave Abrahams
15 Posted 01/05/2021 at 17:25:25
Andy (14), Andy, is there any mention of Andy Penman playing in any of those Everton youth matches.

Andy was a young Scottish boy who only played at Everton for one season before going back to Scotland, he was homesick. At fifteen years of age Andy played at Anfield in the second leg of the, original, Floodlit Cup for Everton, it was a practically a full first team line up whichEverton lost 3-2 but won the cup by aggregate winning the first leg 2-0 at Goodison Park.

Andy had an illustrious career back in Scotland winning a few medals, he died at a relatively young age, I think he is the youngest player to turn out for Everton’s first team at fifteen.

Andy Weir
16 Posted 03/05/2021 at 09:08:59
Hi Dave,

Yes, Andy Penman played in the 1958-59 season, and scored against Manchester United in the 2nd Round replay when we went out of the competition. In Manchester United's programme of that game, there is a short piece and the players including Andy Penman.

Dave Abrahams
17 Posted 03/05/2021 at 10:39:16
Andy (16), thanks Andy had a good look at that website, very, very good, for anyone interested in Everton’s involvement in the FA youth cup I would highly recommend this site.

For the game I was interested in, about Andy Penman it gave all the details of the players playing in that game including players who later succeed as professionals, most of them from United with, David Gaskell, Nobby Stiles,Phil Chisnall, Nicholson and Johnny Giles all in that team, from Everton Andy Penman and Davie Boner made it in Scotland and only Colin Green, a Welsh international full back, made it at Everton, although he only played a few first team games, including one when he scored a twenty yard cracker to win the game 3-2, I think he later went to Birmingham City ? for a decent fee.

So thanks again Andy, you’ve set up a very good website there, which I will be using again and again.