What would you do?

by   |   20/04/2021  21 Comments  [Jump to last]

Had our new ground been up and running it's not impossible that Everton would have been invited into this "Super" League. I have been thinking quite a bit about what my own reaction would have been.

My first response would have been the same as most reds; total outrage. But then what?

Say it went ahead, could any of us simply write off what has been a major part of our lives?

I suppose I would try to protest from within but here's the decision:Everton v Real Madrid in the SL at our new stadium. Do you go?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (21)

David Ellis
1 Posted 21/04/2021 at 10:03:52
It's a prisonser's dilemma. You don't' want to do it. But if the other clubs chosen decide to go then you don't want to be left out. This was Arsenal's predicament (but not Utd's or LFC's who were clearly strong backers of the proposal).

If it went ahead of course I would go along with it I think. I have some Arsenal mates who were doing to defect to West Ham. I can't see me defecting to the nearest large club in Liverpool. Most likely stick to supporting St Helens RL (with the added bonus that they are the best team in Europe and actually win stuff regularly).

Peter Mills
2 Posted 21/04/2021 at 22:15:03
Putting aside any moral outrage, had I been involved in the negotiations I like to think that somewhere along the line I would have thought “This is a really fucking stupid idea”.
Paul Hewitt
3 Posted 21/04/2021 at 22:22:23
£350 million a season. Count me in.
Paul Hughes
4 Posted 22/04/2021 at 09:35:42
I like to think I'd give up my season ticket, and go to watch my local non-league club, Mossley. I can walk home from there.

But if it really was to happen, who knows?

Barry Rathbone
5 Posted 22/04/2021 at 10:20:04
Everton are my club have been for over 60 years but fairness and accountability have always been my guiding light. If the club entered something as clandestine, shifty and potentially damaging to those remaining, it would no longer be Everton.

The new shiny, money-grabbing entity masquerading as Everton would be of no interest to me, no matter how hard I tried to make it so.

Sometimes the bigger picture overrides parochial attachment.

Chris Williams
6 Posted 22/04/2021 at 10:22:03
What Barry said!
Andrew Ellams
7 Posted 22/04/2021 at 10:33:21
I get less and less interested by football outside of Everton every year so if they went down this route then I'd probably give up on the game to be honest.

Just seen an article in F365 written by an RS supporter stating they should forgive FSG because they'll never find better owners.

Oliver Molloy
8 Posted 22/04/2021 at 10:51:33
As I said in another thread, the irony of one bunch of millionaires calling another bunch of millionaires greedy!

I wish the outrage seen and heard, from the ordinary working man and woman to the Prime Minister, was evident for the likes of Amazon for instance – who pay next to nothing in taxes, offer nothing to your city and towns, and are closing down businesses all over the planet.

Guess what? In reality, nobody gives a fuck, but one day they will and the hypocrisy will begin!

I think a Super League will arrive in the future.

Tony Abrahams
9 Posted 22/04/2021 at 11:48:18
Simple answer from me would be no Andy, mate. I hate anything snide or deceitful, and if Everton were involved I’d have felt embarrassed and ashamed of our club, and would probably be doing outside Finch-Farm, what the Manchester United fans, have done at Carrington, today.

These clubs owners, (some of whom probably know very little about our sport) have acted like they’re bigger than the game itself, and that’s why Moshiri’s statement was so well received the other day, because who do these owners actually think they fucking are?

Colin Glassar
10 Posted 22/04/2021 at 11:57:37
I wouldn’t have touched this stinking, obnoxious plan with a barge pole. Cartels tend to end bumping each other off. Sooner or later the mega rich would try and devour the super rich in a never ending spiral of greed.

We are better well away from it all.

Stephen Vincent
11 Posted 22/04/2021 at 12:54:06
Really difficult question because we all have the benefit of hindsight.

Like Barry, I have supported Everton for 60 years and share the sentiments in his post. However, had I understood back in the 60s what John Moores turned us into, I am not sure I would be a blue.

At the time, I was just ecstatic about the success. There is no doubt that the Mersey Millionaires title fitted us perfectly and that the 1963 title was achieved at any cost and that we trampled roughshod over all those who got in our way.

Andrew Ellams
12 Posted 22/04/2021 at 13:09:33
Stephen, although the 60s were before my time, I was thinking about this and the Jack Walker time at Blackburn.

To me, they don't compare. Both Moores and Walker brought their money to the clubs they had followed all of their lives to bring the success on the pitch that they craved as supporters.

Almost nobody like that exists in the Premier League today and these owners only crave success on the pitch because it boosts their bank balances. And unfortunately Moshiri is one of them too.

Michael Lynch
13 Posted 22/04/2021 at 13:11:25
I'm a season ticket holder who now lives outside Liverpool, so it's a faff getting to the match. But I manage to get to maybe two thirds of the home games and one or two away games every season. I don't really care who we're playing, as long as I'm amongst fellow Blues, having a good old moan or a throat-busting cheer. I've gone through phases of falling out of love with the game, and have gone years without seeing us play in the past. For me football is about seeing old friends, talking shite, and the thrill of seeing the green turf as I walk up the stairs into the Upper Bullens.

On the other hand, the best night of my footballing life, like many on here, was the famous European Cup-Winners Sup Semifinal. But what made it great, what made it stand out, was that it was a one-off. You hope it will be repeated, but part of the thrill is knowing deep down that you're only going to have a few nights like that in your life. We still talk about that to this day. Football can be magical only because a lot of the time it can be so mundane.

So I'm against this kind of thing. Would I go to Real Madrid at the new Stadium? Well, in this scenario, we'd be playing them about four times a fucking year, so I might go on the odd occasion, but I'd rather we play them once or twice in my lifetime when we've qualified for a tournament. Or not. I mean, I've got mates who support Newcastle. Their big night is beating Sunderland every now and then but do they stop going?

I'd rather play in a competitive Premier League than a European Super League, even if that means watching us play Fulham rather than Real. Having said that, I fucking love Craven Cottage, so you can stick your Bernabeu.

Chris Williams
14 Posted 22/04/2021 at 13:21:02
Stephen,

Moores lent Everton cash, he also extended the same courtesy to Liverpool. While Everton were spending cash on players, over several years, Man Utd were spending over £100k on Law, vast amounts on Crerand, Herd, Morgan, Connelly; Spurs were spending over £100k on Greaves, huge fees for McKay, White, Jones. Liverpool bought Yeats, St John, Strong, Thompson, Milne. It's why they got promoted.

It wasn't just Everton, but that suited the press narrative of the day. I recommend you read Money Can't Buy Us Love and get the full story. It's a very good and factual book – and importantly gives the context.

Chris Williams
15 Posted 22/04/2021 at 13:39:28
Stephen,

I should also add they also generated good fees for the likes of Hickson, Collins, Harris, Wignall, O’Neill. At least for the time.

Stephen Vincent
16 Posted 22/04/2021 at 16:22:44
Chris,
I have read Money can't buy us Love and I think the clue is in the title. If you read the first paragraph of chapter 6 'Flexing the Millionaire Muscles' I think that gives you a pretty decent idea of how powerful a club we were back then.

On a personal note one of my very earliest abiding memories of following Everton is coming out of Molineux at the end of the 64/65 season, we had wiped the floor with them and should have scored many more than the 4 we had. We were queuing outside a chippy and the blokes in front and behind us told me and my Dad that they could not compete with us and that what we were doing wasn't football. You must remember as well that this was a Wolves side that had won the 1st division twice on the bounce not five years earlier.

It may well be that this perception of us suited the press at the time but to a certain extent isn't that what has happened over the last week. I wonder what the public perception of us would have been back then if the internet and social media had been available.

Will Mabon
17 Posted 22/04/2021 at 16:48:57
Oliver - I agree. There are very big problems on the horizon. In broadly similar pyramid vein to this current drama but of much wider import. Nothing's off the table; nothing. One day people will have to face the reality but they'll fight til the last minute to remain in denial.

Not genuine outrage from the PM, of course. Professional globalist stooges.

Chris Williams
18 Posted 22/04/2021 at 17:07:12
The perception of us was dreadful, Stephen, and it was as biased in its way as now. Most of the press was London-based, and Spurs were their darlings. One of the biggest press critics was Blanchflower, and of course he was totally independent! Manchester Utd were beyond criticism because Munich was still firmly in everyone's mind.

It wasn't helped by the fact that Moores made no secret of his intentions, and it was successful... but, given the extent of the media at the time, it was pretty widespread, and unfair given what others were up to, simultaneously, and just as successfully, in Man Utd's case.

What's been happening this week is not the same, I think, since the anger there was from the fans unprompted, before most of the media had even sorted out sides. The agenda was set by the fans for once. And their anger was justified, not like the agenda in the early 60s. Sunday night on here was an excellent example.

Having said that, in most cases, the standard of sports journalism generally seemed higher in those days.

All social media would add to it is the uninformed opinions we see these days. For its time, it was pretty fierce, as it was.

I never personally came across the sort of thing you experienced with the Wolves supporters. You can chalk that up to jealousy maybe?

Dave Ganley
19 Posted 22/04/2021 at 17:51:07
Andy, I've been a season ticket holder for many years and my first game was back in 1974. However, there's absolutely no way I'd condone a closed-shop Super League and go and watch it.

I've been disillusioned with football for a few years now due to the ridiculous nature of the likes of Man City and the Chavs effectively buying trophies. (Yes, I know we all want that kind of cash to spend...)

But, for me, the whole point of professional football is the hope that you have at the beginning of each season that this may be the year. With Man City and the Chavs, they took a lot, but not all hope away.

A closed-shop Super League does remove that hope for all but 6 clubs thay you can compete against the very best. It's just all wrong on so many levels that I wouldn't want to watch it.

There's a reason why European nights are special: it's because they're not every week and you can get anybody to play in Europe – Zenit or Khakov spring to mind. That's all gone with a Super League. The day that happens is the day football dies.

Derek Moore
20 Posted 28/04/2021 at 18:54:38
If Everton had been daft enough to agree to this ESL proposal I would not have even bothered visiting this site today Andy. I'd have been absolutely done with them.

I also suspect our presence would have attracted more laughter than even "big six Spurs" did. It often seems this club could buy every ticket in a raffle and find a way to not win - the idea they'd even be invited into an elite super league under any circumstances is just something my brain cannot process.

Kieran Kinsella
21 Posted 28/04/2021 at 19:32:19
Andy

I haven't watched Doctor Who since he turned into a woman. I used to always watch it