The emperor’s new cloak

by   |   23/05/2021  17 Comments  [Jump to last]

I believe Farhad Moshiri once wrote to the Arsenal board expressing concerns about the road the club was taking, and this showed a bit of foresight considering the way the Gunners have slowly fallen from grace.

Everton fell from grace a long time ago, many years before our newest owner got on board. But, after spending a lot of money, and sacking many managers, Farhad has never changed the guard.

I’d love Moshiri to meet some knowledgeable fans and explain what he wants for Everton, which could also help our fans ascertain if our owner knows anything about football, and also question him on why he hasn’t changed much at the very top of a football club that hasn’t won anything for 26 years now – nearly double the longest period the club had ever gone before in our illustrious history – not taking world wars into account.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (17)

Clive Rogers
1 Posted 24/05/2021 at 13:05:04
Tony,

I assume you mean that nothing really seems to have changed. If so, you are correct. We have been on a downward spiral for over 20 years.

The only difference now is that the new owner has money to spend. So far in his tenure, funds have been spent badly. I doubt whether anyone needs a list of names.

In that respect, this summer window will be massive for the club. The signings have to be of a much needed higher quality. Get it wrong again and the downward spiral will accelerate.

Kunal Desai
2 Posted 24/05/2021 at 13:35:31
The fans need to be heard. My question to him is what is the 5-year plan? and: What are the building blocks he is putting in place for each year to achieve that target?

There certainly has been no plan in the 5 years that he has been here, other than throwing money at randoms without any thought process.

Tony Abrahams
3 Posted 24/05/2021 at 13:40:19
But things have changed, Clive, because we have wasted loads of money on players, and a few managers have also been given their marching orders since Moshiri got on board.

I'd just like to know who Moshiri has been listening to all these years, and wonder why the man who was delighted with Everton being the best of the rest is still hanging around like a bad penny, telling our new arrivals what it means to be an Everton player!

I could understand if we had won a few things in the last few years but, if first impressions are anything to go by, then the jolly old boys club that are happy to have you on board needs to be replaced by a much more professional approach imo.

I watched Carragher going back to Melwood for Sky Sports, before one Merseyside derby, and you could see he never looked that comfortable, even though he'd given his career to Liverpool. The place looked like it reeked of professionalism, and the only time he looked himself was when he was talking to the scouse dinner ladies, but maybe I'm just reading into things wrong.

Barry Rathbone
4 Posted 24/05/2021 at 13:46:58
Moshiri joins the long list of foreign business wallahs who have no idea about footy but think they do. The remarks over McCarthy and Lukaku were danger signs... and using Jim White as his mouthpiece, well, words fail me.

The stereotype will be complete when he shits himself and reins in the monies, probably in the coming season, trying to prepare for the new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock.

Kieran Kinsella
5 Posted 24/05/2021 at 13:47:59
Tony,

In other words, you want Bill to go. As Darren says of every manager “I never wanted him in the first place.”

Tony Abrahams
7 Posted 24/05/2021 at 13:57:55
And yet we've been stuck with him for a very long time Kieran. That's exactly what I would like us to discover about Moshiri, Barry, even though the writing seems to have been written on the wall in big 10-foot letters for a long time now.

Who advised Moshiri? Is he working for someone bigger? I ask because it doesn't seem right for a man to waste over a third of his net wealth on something he said he didn't want to spend so much of his time on.

The man who couldn't give, can't thank the man who keeps on giving enough but, like Moshiri, maybe I shouldn't be spending so much time thinking about Everton.

Robert Tressell
8 Posted 24/05/2021 at 14:02:33
The 5-year plan involves building a stadium and redeveloping some docks. While that project is underway, we will be drip-fed transfer budget to keep us relevant and, with the benefit of experienced management, in with a shout of a cup or European competition.

Alongside that, Brands continues to restructure the club itself – with a much better shape to the academy already and the U18 category looking much improved on what has come previously.

All that makes total sense from a business point of view and Moshiri is, after all, a business man.

It's not very well aligned with our hopes and dreams as fans but there's an element of 'tough shit' about that. None of us have the money Moshiri does.

Ken Kneale
9 Posted 24/05/2021 at 14:08:44
Tony - I think your chances are zero of Mr M consenting to any such request given he clearly takes advice from his Chairman in most other matters and such opportunity was denied during the said Chairman's ownership via the AGM for a considerable period of tenure.

I have asked Paul the Esk on previous occasions if he has any way of gaining traction with his considerable fiscal breakdowns around Everton and wider football - the Esk replied he had tried several times but the club was not interested in any engagement even on a minor basis.

I suspect you are in the camp like myself that continued money flowing in from Mr M but only reaping the same levels of performance on and off the field to more or less replicate what has gone in the 26 odd years before simply is not the Everton we grew up with. I really do feel guilt about bringing my son up to all that had gone before but he has had, as he puts it, 26 years of varying levels of misery in the main.

I am so frustrated and demoralised by yesterday I just cannot see a Catterick style team or a Kendall Mk1 team representing our club again in the foreseeable - hopefully a summer of Carlo and Brands actually having realised that there are issues to solve at all levels of the club may invigorate me once again.

Derek Moore
10 Posted 24/05/2021 at 14:10:49
I personally think Moshiri has been thoroughly rinsed, with millions going out of the door needlessly to the usual array of football parasites. The Walcott and Tosun transfers during Allardyce's reign are particularly suspicious to my mind.

That's an astute observation on Carragher as well, Tony, and I one I share. Since his playing days, the standards and expectations at their club have evolved and been raised, so much so, one club man Carra looked a bit awkward and out of place in a building where he was once part of the furniture.

I'm not sure our standards have kept pace with the neighbours'.

Tony Abrahams
11 Posted 24/05/2021 at 14:26:53
Robert, what you say might be what has already been decided mate, and I think if the club came out and spoke to the fans, explaining that they have wasted a lot of money going nowhere, and are now going to concentrate on professionalism and stability, to help us grow slowly, and helping us to be in a much better position when we finally get to Bramley-Moore, then through the frustration, I think a lot of fans would eventually get on board.

I know I would, because I'd sooner get rid of all the players who don't appear to have what I'd describe as a real professional pride, and watch an Everton team where you can identify with the players, because you know that they are playing for the shirt.

Tony Everan
12 Posted 24/05/2021 at 14:38:38
Yes, Tony, I watched Carragher return to Melwood, he was a little uncomfortable. He knew he was part of the past and nothing to do with the current set up, he had an air of, I need to keep my distance here. Like he didn't want to be seen to interfere or cause and interruption to anything.

As Robert says the plan is the stadium and I fear that mid table cannon fodder is the order of the day for Everton FC. Moshiri will be hoping and even expecting more but will be content with security until the stadium is built.

This is a dangerous game though to take the eyes of progressive practices.

It is clear that the training regime is not up to standard. Players are not well drilled and not well prepared to play together as a team. There is little understanding between players, basic footballing errors are commonplace.

New younger, hungrier quality recruitment is only part of the solution. Also, the work on the training ground needs a complete overhaul. We need the best football training personnel in we can find.

If Davide and Duncan and other old boys don't like it, tough, we have got to start getting ruthless and professional as a club. The cosy, rest-home, family club has to be put to one side.

This 'we're making progress' nonsense is delusional. Without big changes to playing personal and training methods, we will get more of the same dross next season.

Action is needed now.

Robert Tressell
13 Posted 24/05/2021 at 14:38:50
That's a bit unrealistic unfortunately Tony. That's just not the way clubs engage with fans.

Revenues are generated by (irrational) hope and the appointment of Ancelotti and the acquisition of a broken Galactico are part of the hope machine. This is something we probably just need to accept for ourselves. It sounds very bleak, I admit, but it needn't be.

I'm excited by a good number of academy players and, like I say, the possibility of an experienced manager winning us a cup or overseeing a European campaign (which we can even win). Once the stadium is sorted, then bigger things become possible.

Jay Harris
14 Posted 24/05/2021 at 14:47:33
Tony,

I believe you are spot on. The Black Bill/Moshiri show has been an appalling failure with Bill running the show as a Chairman who will not listen to other people and wants it to be his show – accompanied by his acolytes Denise Barrett-Baxendale and various planted positions that undermine the rest of the operation.

I can't believe we brought "poor lifestyle" Rooney back on 𧵘 grand a week when Man Utd just wanted him off their payroll.

Every manager has big Dunc foisted on them and Unsy has been made untouchable. Meanwhile, the Elite Premier League machine keeps moving forward while we stand still.

I have rarely seen a successful manager - Director of Football relationship work as well as just having a manager in charge of recruiting his own players but, when we add the owner and the chairman to the decision making, it is a recipe for what we have seen over the last few years.

People who know very little about football are at the very senior levels of our club – and it shows. Bill was "seriously ill" a few years ago when the pressure was on and then assured everyone he would "retire at 70". Both have long since passed and yet he still runs what should be an elite club.

Christine Foster
15 Posted 24/05/2021 at 14:51:23
I remember an interview Moshiri gave when he came to Everton; he said, on all things football, he looked to Kenwright for his advice. I sincerely believe this cost Moshiri the thick end of 𧶀M with a string of purchases highlighted in the Koeman era, when I am not sure who the hell was buying players...

The truth is, the game has changed, but Everton haven't – and while advice is taken from Kenwright on football, it never will.

Sounds lovely when you hear Everton is a family club, but that was a long time ago (around the time of Jimmy Nail).

I believe we have allowed family values to overule common sense. There is a place for family values but, if you want to win, money talks.

My other point would be that I am upset at the performances, disappointed but secretly not surprised. We had an awful team pre-Ancelotti; we still have quite a few of them who are not good enough. But money talks.

Carlo is allegedly on €12M, Klopp on €24M and Pep on €27M. Man City have spent circa €1.5bn on players over the past 5 or so years, Liverpool almost a billion; we have spent half of that. Most of that badly and very little on Carlo's watch. He is paid to get the best out of them, who let who down? Six of one?

Kieran Kinsella
16 Posted 24/05/2021 at 15:21:33
Jay,

Denise Barrett-Baxendale is not a football expert but, from what I've seen, she seems to have done a very good job with regard to the stadium, EitC, even battling the Super League. While she may or may not be a Bill "acolyte", she seems very competent.

My issue is on the footballing side which is not so much her purview. Going back to the Walsh era, we seem to have different individuals trying to recruit players without cohesion. For example, there's an interview with Doucouré in the Echo this week where he says he keeps trying "to prove Carlo wrong," as Carlo wasn't the one wanting to sign him.

My thought last summer was that I didn't see the point in getting both Allan and Doucouré as they're similar in terms of role. But it seems as if from the Doucouré interview, we finally signed him after a long pursuit; meanwhile, Carlo signed the guy he actually wanted.

Why? We had other areas of the team in dire need of improvement so we add two defensive central-midfielders when we also had (reliable or not) Delph on huge wages, and Gbamin (injured; but the club supposedly believe he will be right as rain eventually), plus Davies and Gomes – who I wouldn't exactly describe as attacking midfielders.

Dave Abrahams
17 Posted 24/05/2021 at 15:21:59
Derek (10),

I agree entirely with that. Kenwright got his friend Mr Moshiri to buy the club and stayed on as Chairman, initially I thought to help his friend settle into running the club and then settle into a cosy retirement because of health reasons.

Kenwright is still here and if he is Mr Moshiri's friend then poor Moshiri doesn't need enemies, he's had very poor advice in how to spend his money improving Everton FC. Then again, he's over 21; if he didn't realise in the beginning, people were helping him to waste his money, he surely must realise it now and get rid of them.

Or maybe he will tell his real friend and partner he needs some help to get the club into position to start acting like we are going places, instead of standing still.

Danny O’Neill
18 Posted 24/05/2021 at 16:30:51
Now, I'm still not in a good place with all things Everton so apologies upfront.

I think you're spot on, Tony. Moshiri had a very different opportunity with Everton. Given those frustrations, he had an opportunity to call the shots and shape what he was after. Unlike at Arsenal, where he obviously got frustrated with what he was seeing but couldn't influence as much as he would have liked.

But, he comes to Everton and takes advice of people who romanticise about the past like a good supporter does, not like an investor would. He's been too nice and too influenced by Kenwright from what I see. And he (Moshiri) is at fault for allowing that to happen.

Now an investor can be a supporter, or someone who 'gets' the club. But they need to detach the emotion from it. There is a balance to be struck, so good links to Paul the Esk's posts on reform here, especially those who call for the fans to be listened to.

I probably differ from a lot on Kenwright. I don't have strong dislike of him. I see similarities in Moyes. What we needed at the time but couldn't take us further and stayed longer than they should have. That's probably why they were a good fit for each other for so long. That's just my view.

I admire Moshiri for getting to understand the club, the supporters, and the culture. But he has wasted time and money being advised by Kenwright and sticking with the old boys club at Finch Farm.

He needs to now own this and rid this club of that mentality that has held us back for too long. Listen to football people like Ancelotti. Listen to businessmen like Usmanov. Not Evertonian Romanticists like Bill Kenwright and Danny O'Neill.

He's the successful businessman, not me. Surely he can see that?