Back where we belong

by   |   07/06/2021  6 Comments  [Jump to last]

My last post on ToffeeWeb was after the Sheffield United game. I said, from memory, that I was indifferent to Carlo and his team and to whether he went or stayed. Indifferent, that is after more than 50 years as a Blue and 20 years reading and posting on this magnificent site.

That was my low point. Never felt like that before. Angry, really angry, pissed off, indignant, done all those. Never indifference and disengagement. I have looked on the site every day and admired the passion and commitment of every Blue. How the fuck can they take it anymore? I thought.

I admired Carlo but the doubts grew. The Sheffield Utd game made me realise that the race was run. You know what? I admire him more now. He knew that the game was up. His many admirable qualities were way short of what we need. Some saw it, some suspected it, I feared it, but hindsight is overrated because lack of it makes us Blues.

I don't feel betrayed by Carlo, just a massive sense of relief. He got out leaving us pretty much as he got here. Upside? Some fucking big wins, and my God, that counts. Downside? Shite football and two fingers to the notion that we are a big club in waiting, needing only a bit of fairy dust from a proven winner. I actually think I have got back to why I love us. It's as if Carlo was never for the likes of us.

Backs to the wall, ridiculed, getting above ourselves. Everton that. I feel engaged again. We will get a new coach and he will piss us off. But we are back to dreaming again. The Carlo era already feels like a pleasant dream that I woke up from before it ended. Now we are back where we belong. Start again, and sometime, maybe, perhaps, we will get there again.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (6)

Barry Rathbone
1 Posted 08/06/2021 at 10:50:55
I was only thinking the other day the only disappointment I've felt over Everton Managers leaving have involved those who actually did something - Kendal mk1, Joe Royle and Martinez. The rest are a homogenous bunch bereft of any imagination or guile and without football would be stacking shelves at Tescos (Carlo might run the fish dept with his "gutting" skills)

It's often said we live in hope but I think it's more we live in a "can barely give a shit " envelope of cynicism these days.

Tony Abrahams
2 Posted 08/06/2021 at 11:10:37
I started feeling indifferent once or twice in my long career as a demented Evertonian, Andy, and it wasn’t a nice feeling because I’ve always had a burning passion for Everton FC.

Jerome has just written something on another thread that really needs investigating imo Andy, and if there is even a hint of truth in what he’s written, managers don’t even come into it, and I think we need to start using some kopite behaviour, because it’s that serious, I’d say the future of Everton is very very bleak, unless the fans demand real change?

Dave Abrahams
3 Posted 08/06/2021 at 13:52:28
Tony (2), that was tried before by a group of absolutely genuine Everton supporters, The Blue Union, they turned out to be the baddies in the eyes of the majority of Everton fans and the architect of Everton’s decades of bad management, Kenwright, the good guy, there will have to be a massive swing against this man to get him where he belongs: Out of Our Club, with his small minority of shares it’s unbelievable he has any say in the club, not only that but he was allowed to bring in another voice as CEO to give him backing.

As you say Tony, this is the worse state the club has been in since the Second World War ended, not even relegation in 1951 was as bad as we are in now, because unless the boardroom is sorted out immediately I can see Everton going in only one direction, down and it will not be a slow movement.

Jerome Shields
5 Posted 10/06/2021 at 08:49:11
Funny Andy, I felt the same. After that Sheffield United game, I was hoping that Ancelotti with his post match outbursts would get a hurt pride response from the players, but it did not materialise. As you say, the game was up and Ancelotti knew it, the Club and him where heading in different directions.

I choose the Blood Brothers theme in my article, which you kindly commented on, because of the Kenwright association. But when I started to read the play, having seen it twice, with the red brick wall with the white Everton grafitti. I could not but become aware of the similarity in tone with Everton Football Club, with us long suffering supporters hoping for better, as you are now.

Surprising I also have the same feeling of renewal, even though I have worked out real difficulties ahead.

I have a friend who is a West Ham supporter. He is a Professional Investor, starting the first hedge fund in Europe. An Oxford University Professor of Physiology had him do tests on emotional intelligence. He has the emotional intelligence of a fighter pilot as regards investment. In the case of West Ham he reckoned he has the emotional intelligence of a loyal dog. I told him that I reckon I am the same as regards Everton.

By the way, he tells me that Moyes has found a second Everton Home at West Ham and unfortunately according to him will not be leaving. Thank god. Your article is a more genuinely Everton article than mine.

Jerome Shields
6 Posted 10/06/2021 at 09:07:55
Better than any Blood Brothers theme could enlighten.
Ken Kneale
7 Posted 10/06/2021 at 09:20:48
Tony and Dave - I fear you are correct - the way back to where we want and need to be is a long slog now- made longer and harder by the years of disgraceful decline under the Kenwright regime and exacerbated by his continuing influence over his dream investor.

Jerome's excellent piece was a very, very sobering read for me and really does explain the myriad of failings internally whilst making our loyalty as supporters seem a real juxtaposition – proud of our club and its great heritage whilst furious and deeply sad at the position we now find ourselves.

I confess to not having the foggiest idea where to go now; letters to the club go unanswered and unheeded… most within the club structure have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Andy sums it up – thank goodness we have this site to vent.