Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Megastore to close?

Looking on the OS, am i right in saying that the megastore is to close and we will be opening a new flagship store in Liverpool 1?

If, like me, you don't actually live in Merseyside, I rely on the megastore for my EFC purchases. If this store closes, I will have to buy online. I do like looking round the store at all the other merchandise and to pick up an impulse buy!!!

Am I wrong? Any clues guys?
Matt Kay, Manchester     Posted 01/05/2009 at 08:35:17

Comments

Colin Fitzpatrick
1   Posted 01/05/2009 at 14:14:35

It says in the article "The new City Centre outlet will be the sister store of a fully refurbished retail operation at Goodison Park."

Nathan Ward
2   Posted 01/05/2009 at 14:49:07

Yeah I’m guessing they are shutting it down, getting all the crap JJB stuff out and then relaunching it later on with all the ’wonderful’ Le Coq gear.

The money is good but I feel it is a missed opportunity going with Le Coq. The image of the club is a big thing
Dominic Bolger
3   Posted 01/05/2009 at 15:00:37

New refurbished Megastore.... Finally a store in L1, with a new dedicated site through Kitbag. If nothing else they surely can?t do a worse job than the JJBollocks!

I think this is good news rather than bad. I know that there are a lot of mixed feeling about the new LCS strip, but the deal is for 3 years with a possible 2-year extension, so we will have to learn to live with it.

Get this season's kit for £10 today as the online megastore closes at 5pm I think today.
Barry Scott
4   Posted 01/05/2009 at 15:08:06

What has not been mentioned is that the training wear will be designed by Sergio Tacchini’s designers and the non-training/non-kit Everton wear is to be designed by Ecko, both will re-branded as Le Coq Sportif merchandise.
Alan Kirwin
5   Posted 01/05/2009 at 15:13:15

The OS announcement confirms the opening of a flagship store in the Liverpool 1 development. This is not only about money but also pride. It reads well.

I would imagine that, after all the brickbats aimed at the club on this topic, Wyness understandably, Kenwright less so, there should be broad acclaim. Not simply that the club is moving up to where many believe it should be, but that it does appear to have not only listened but to have responded in a way that I suspect causes surprise to many.

Credit where it’s due (R Elstone presumably). This is a good news day.
David McKittrick
6   Posted 01/05/2009 at 16:25:56

Rumour I heard is it's going to be called Everton 2? so the address will be Everton 2, Liverpool 1! Classic!!!
Ivor Bona
7   Posted 01/05/2009 at 16:14:17

I just hope they (kitbag) just cut down on all the stuff with Everton ALL over it.I know its Everton and a brand but do we need the massive logos on the t-shirts and such like,we don’t need that type of branding to let people know who we are, as long as we know thats all that matters.Just a small Ruperts tower or 1878 scattered somewhere will do me. If you go to Transalpino in town they have good retro style t-shirts there and if you’ve already got one you know what I mean.So here’s hoping for some better casual Everton clothing. Roll on May 30th. Come on you Blues.
Dennis Stevens
8   Posted 01/05/2009 at 16:32:18

Spot on, Ivor! Remeber the Puma "Tower" range of casual wear a few years ago? Something more subtle along those lines would go down well, imho.
Paul McGowan
9   Posted 01/05/2009 at 15:45:51

Much better commercially from the club. Anyone visiting the city would think Everton had already rode out of town, it?s definitely a positive shift in club policy. We need that obvious presence in our city.

LQS kit has a huge sentimental factor in our history and maybe it?s a good time to do this deal with more success around the corner, who knows? But please God not the Bib!

I don?t know anything about online shopping but the biggest online sports retailer can?t be a bad thing. Let's not stop here, anyone lend me dirty big set of ladders, I feel like painting a couple of Birds Blue!

Jim Reardon
10   Posted 01/05/2009 at 18:28:35

The megastore will be shut from the 31st May, are they fuckin mad ??????
If we win the FA cup and we tour OUR CITY with the cup, we will miss out on thousands of pounds with the shop shut.
Another master stroke Robert.
So the deal of the century breaks down to one and half million pounds a year, thats going to buy quality players for sure.
Noel Kelly
11   Posted 01/05/2009 at 18:51:09

Jim - you should stick to snooker lad. The tour will be on Sunday 31st - and should be win or lose if you ask me. The shop will be open no doubt but who will want to buy the old kit - maybe a few dads like me will get some shorts for the hols but the kids wont be seen dead in Umbro come 1st June. £33million over 10 years is good - it all adds to the gate revenue, TV rights, prize money etc. Liverpool 1 is great news and gets some pride back - so long as its a big unit and not one of them wooden carts in the foyer bit. Le Coq - weak partner - should have been Adi Dasler al the way.
Barry Scott
12   Posted 01/05/2009 at 20:10:35

Noel - It is:

3 year deal with Le Coq Sportif - £1m per annum with optional 2 year extension

10 year deal with Kitbag - £3m per annum, this figure includes the rent on both megastores to Peter Johnson for Walton Lane and to Grosvenor for the Liverpool One store.

When you take it all in, it’s not that impressive.. but it’s better than what we had. To put it into context Manchester City’s deal with Le Coq Sportif was £2.5m per season.
Jim Reardon
13   Posted 01/05/2009 at 20:11:31

Nice one Noel, I wish I had a nicker for every time someone has cracked that one!!! The location of the shop is 2 doors down from the shites and will be half the size. REMEMBER it is Kitbag who has demanded the shop in the contract.

Fat arse Wyness took our pride away with his franchising of different areas of the clubs business. Remember his wonderful quote, "I am an Evertonian like all of you, and we will have a spade in the ground in May," ? that's May 08.

Can anyone tell me why he left????

Paul O'Hanlon
14   Posted 01/05/2009 at 21:21:28

Finally some good news about the merchandising. The sooner Kitbag get cracking with selling our new stuff (and in OUR city centre!) the better!
Chris James
15   Posted 01/05/2009 at 23:45:08

Surely this has to be good news - some extra guaranteed cash for the club plus more prominence in Liverpool city centre - at bloody last!

Could it be that the commercial team are finally starting to pick up their performance in step with the boys on the pitch? I like Mr Elstone, seems like a decent guy, hopefully this is the first of many.

Re: the LCS shirt deal - I think this is fine tbh, shirt looks okay and the deal will be renegotiated in the second year anyway if we continue to progress and brand grows/other folk show interest.
Jimmy Crack
16   Posted 02/05/2009 at 01:12:53

Why do our sponsorships always seem to bring us less money than other clubs? Spurs make I think like $5m / year from their shirt sponsors...we make $3m.

Man City get $2.5m from LQS...we get $1m
Tom Owen
17   Posted 01/05/2009 at 15:47:23

There seems to be questions un-answered on whether we are recieving £3 million from Le Coq Sportif a year or over the 5 year period.

"In addition to the deal with Kitbag, the new retail arrangement for Everton includes a sports marketing agreement of up to five years with Le Coq Sportif which will generate a further £3 million."

Does anyone know whether it is £3million over 5 years or every year for 5 years.

I don't mind Le Coq Sportif too much, the kit design look pretty good to me. Thank god we never went with adidas. Have you seen their new kit designs for their teams such as Chelsea. I was hoping for Nike but you cant have it all your own way.

One important thing from the whole deal is that we are getting a shop in Liverpool one which is really good news.

Finally, do you think this deal with Kitbag and Le Coq Sportif is any good?

Phil Bellis
18   Posted 02/05/2009 at 11:56:48

I?m with Dennis on the subtlety bit; I?ve still got a plain white v-kneck t-shirt with a light grey Rupert?s Tower. Simple and subtle. The new store appears small compared to the other lot's, 2 doors down, which is the large corner plot; unlike our neighbours, let?s hope we go for quality not quantity

By the way. who made this blinkered statement last year?...
"Only Newcastle fans spend vast amount of sums on merchandising, and out of town Liverpool supporters; if we had a store in the city we would only make a couple of £1000s a year through that channel, so I don't think its worth it."

Have a guess...

Tony I'Anson
19   Posted 02/05/2009 at 12:25:05

I posted this on another article, so apologies....

On another point re the Sponsorship deal, let?s hope our Chief Exec. is another gem of a find on the commercial side. He?s only young for the role he?s doing in Club so let?s hope we see more of this type of hard-nosed business coming through from him. Weed out the commercial shite, and cream off the readies from the Global brands who no doubt will be queueing up to be part of the Everton brand as it develops on the field.

To this I would like to back up comments about a range of subtle merchandise for grown ups to wear for work.

For the white collar fans, a range of white shirts with just a small tower on the pocket could generate 5 sales per worker - and genuinely put it through expenses as "Workwear".

5 x £25 = £125 per fan x 10,000 £1,250,000

- and we?d have to replace them every year.

Then there?s the must have work socks, work undies, work vets.

Then for the real fanatics there?s the works designer suit (with Everton plastered all over the inside lining - some posh designer on Saville Row is charging £1500 a pop for this kind of thing).

We could be going to work full of Everton merchandise every day, and only those with a keen eye for detail would knnow.

Any ideas from our Blue Collar workers.

Tony I'Anson
20   Posted 02/05/2009 at 12:56:58

Mr Elstone, See http://www.savilerow-style.com/issue014/style02.htm

This guy will re-do the lining of an existing suit for £200 - image it in Everton Blue, with EFC branding all inside it, with confidence that it?s generated another revenue stream for the Club.

It?s only by coming up with this kind of off the wall ideas and implementing them first that commercial advantages can be made.

What about teaming up with tailor(s) in the City to offer the same.

Scousers can come up with loads of off the cuff jokes, because we all know that everyone from Liverpool is funny. What about money making ideas for the Club that have not been thought of before.

Like a very hard quiz question, can anyone come up with some ideas or answers.
Ivor Bona
21   Posted 02/05/2009 at 13:18:21

What about a range of hard hats with an Everton design already molded into it coz when we do our own "design" on them the health & safety knobs get a cob on because we?ve impaired the integrity of the hat by using markers on them (doesn?t stop us though).

Also, what about overalls with a Rupert's Tower on them? Hi-viz jackets (you can get them in town I know but they could still do it and get the money). In the constuction game we all like to show our colours so they might just think on and do something about it.

Gaylord Fokker
22   Posted 02/05/2009 at 14:04:14

Ivor Bona every time the wife comes to bed with an Everton top on.
Ken Williams
23   Posted 01/05/2009 at 09:31:20

So all the rumours were true, Everton have appointed Kitbag Limited as their retail partner and Le Coq Sportif as their kit supplier. Let's hope this is a move forward, anything will be better than the service that JJB supllied. The good news is the proposed opening of a new outlet in Liverpool One, will the rumours prove correct and it will be called Everton 2. http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/-32m-deal-for-blues.html
Tony I'Anson
24   Posted 02/05/2009 at 14:12:21

"Ivor" now there?s a multi-million quid global business alone. Target market = the working man, with disposable leisure £££?s, with an affinity to a brand in the form of his Sports Club. Crosses all sports.

Barrior to entry - a licence from each participating Sports Club, overcome by paying decent royalties to the Club that said Target Market is affiliated with.

Market Promotion example:
(numbers and details don?t matter)

"Buy your personalised Everton Hard Hat for £10 and £4 goes to Everton football Club." exclusively from ScrewfixDirect.com. Also available in Jewson, Keyline, Travis Perkins etc...

Now who thought Everton could market their merchandise through Builders Merchants, never mind along Saville Row?
Ivor Bona
25   Posted 02/05/2009 at 14:43:45

Gaylord, I know what you mean ? my missus had one on the other night when I came to bed even though she?s a red shite (long story ? don?t ask). Only down side is she now wants me to wear a shite top but somehow I can?t see that happening ? I wouldn?t even be able to raise a smile, never mind anything else...
Phil McCavity
26   Posted 02/05/2009 at 18:04:09

At least you're getting some!
Tom Campbell
27   Posted 03/05/2009 at 01:44:05

Barry Scott, Stick to Cilit Bang
Tony Waring
28   Posted 05/05/2009 at 07:19:42

I can't believe nobody has picked up on this sponsorship story and in particular the bit about a new retail outlet. To call it Evertyon 2 is a joke; Everton 1 more like !
Mike Dishome
29   Posted 07/05/2009 at 18:35:52

Just had a look at the Echo online and the OS, and I must say the new store does look and sound fantastic. But it has no name yet??

In another post someone suggested calling it Everton 2. What a wonderful address that gives to the Store. Now I have that in my head nothing else sounds as good.

For a bit of light hearted childish fun (maybe this should go to BlueKipper instead) .. what would you call the store?

Ste Blundell
30   Posted 09/05/2009 at 23:37:48

I don't usually comment unless I'm incensed or pretty drunk, the latter being the case at present. My current bugbear is the new deal with Kitbag and the hullaballoo the official site is making about a new store in the city centre. What I can't understand is why we are opening a store in town at all when obviously what the "brand" needs to do is to establish a presence at its proposed new base in Kirkby town centre. Surely as a club we need to support our investments? It's all baffling to me, maybe I should stop drinking.