Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The Football Manager deal?

After the signing of Anton Peterlin from a team who play fourth tier football in America, and the possible signing of Mustafi, who seems to be an unknown but excellent prospect from Hamburg, though he has played for the German youth team, I'm just wondering if the Football Manager scouts had anything to do with these transfers?

It does seem logical in a sense, how we have suddenly bought these players and the fact they are in contrast to our previous transfers when we have heard of almost all of them, even Castillo who is an Ecuadorian international and was on trial with Blackburn. Or then again, this just maybe wishful thinking and complete speculation? Is it just wishful thinking or am I on to something here?
Ben Jones, Anglesey     Posted 02/05/2009 at 17:49:46

Comments

Marc Williamson
1   Posted 02/05/2009 at 22:03:47

I was thinking the same thing Ben. Even when we beat Man U to that kid a few months ago, we seemed quick off the mark. But now they are signing from other countries, I deffo think it's kicking in. By the time Man City have built their expensive army, we will have the best young players from around the world and probably not even spent 5% of what they have. Let's hope they come good.
Jimmy Crack
2   Posted 02/05/2009 at 22:20:26

Forgive me if I don’t share your optimism, but I’ll wait and see how they turn out before I start singing people’s praises.

And if anyone ends up deserving that praise, I’m sure it’s Moyes and the scouts, not some game designers
Chris Cook
3   Posted 02/05/2009 at 22:29:29

Must be data for next season's game being collected then, since none of them actually exist in the current database.
Jimmy Crack
4   Posted 02/05/2009 at 22:48:10

More importantly, is there no way we can keep Jo? We can’t scrape up any money? He wants to stay

Paul O'Hanlon
5   Posted 02/05/2009 at 22:54:07

It?s a possibility Ben, if we weren?t gonna use their DB we wouldn?t of signed the deal. Did we pay anything for the "exclusivity agreement"?

Jimmy, as much as I like Jo I can?t see him and Yak being a good partnership next season, so I don?t think he?s worth blowing our budget on. Plus we need midfielders, center and wide (preferably with PACE!).
Jason Broome
6   Posted 02/05/2009 at 22:20:44

Either Moyes has extended his Facebook portfolio or the FM2010 database is getting more attention than his wife.

Moyes is growing every year and he is known for experimentation and utilizing all available resources, so I am not surprised.

If one of these players eventually becomes Sky 4 material then what a financial genius.

I truly believe that Moyes has adopted the best practices of Wenger and Ferguson.

So here?s to Fenger and next year?s database? COYB!
Dan Mckie
7   Posted 02/05/2009 at 23:16:59

I would hope that the FM deal will come to help Everton and that maybe this young american and the player from germany have come from that, but does anyone seriously believe that FM will have scouts where any of the big teams dont??
Dave Southword
8   Posted 02/05/2009 at 23:35:25

Dan, they do. FM has a couple of thousand researchers who update the DB for nothing more than a free copy of the game. They’re often fans of the clubs they research and will go to all sorts of reserve and youth games.

Even the big clubs with massive resources can’t be everywhere.
Gareth Humphreys
9   Posted 03/05/2009 at 00:49:29

Where has this sudden support for Jo come from? If everyone was fit he would be on the bench for the stiffs.

The lad is piss poor.
Jimmy Crack
10   Posted 03/05/2009 at 01:53:27

Now I’ve never played FM so let me know if I’m off here, but isn’t it all numerical stats? That doesn’t tell about the player’s attitude, his potential, his workrate, etc., so how can having access to the FM database be all that helpful?
Vijay Nair
11   Posted 03/05/2009 at 02:23:28

Jimmy, this is why we have scouts. The stats from FM can only tell you that there is a player with potential there. The rest is up to our scouts to keep tabs on them and perhaps bring them in for a trial, such as with this American kid.

Nobody in the real world signs players based on just stats, but having those stats at your disposal can only be an advantage.
Brendan Woods
12   Posted 03/05/2009 at 05:22:24

It says on the Ventura County Fusion website that Peterlin was recommended to Moyes by their manager. We played them during a pre-season when we were in the US... (http://venturacountyfusion.com/index.cfm?action=core.menu.page&page_id=5043) so he has either been aware of him since then or has maintained contact with the club since then. As nice as it would be for us to think we found him thanks to FM, I do not think this is the case.
Michael Jennings
13   Posted 03/05/2009 at 07:13:15

It?s most probably a Moyes cheap gamble a la Scott Spencer, Lukas and Dan Gosling. 1 in every 5 most likely pay off and play at the top level so if it costs us nothing it?s definetly worth ago. With us having a small squad the more people we have training and making things competetive the better.
Gavin Ramejkis
14   Posted 03/05/2009 at 08:17:31

I said in another post this is the market Moyes can afford to buy in those with youth and potential, we haven’t a pot to piss in so the small fees involved are much less of a risk. If we find another Cahill or Arteta who although admired by their peer groups were cheap DM has made a great move, if they are Championship fodder we haven’t blown an entire tiny budget on them. I’d love a raft of stars who want to play for the club but it just isn’t going to happen.
Paul Flaherty
15   Posted 03/05/2009 at 10:40:56

Never posted before but might help a bit. Graham Smith, the guy who recommended Peterlin, is a very knowledgeable ex-pro footballer (played in goal when Colchester beat Leeds). He is also a blue through and through, as is his son who I have been to Goodison with on several occasions.

He has known and been a friend of Moysey for a long time and I am sure he will not have sent this lad unless he really feels he could help the blue cause. Hope he turns out to do the business for us, Graham!!

Mike Allison
16   Posted 03/05/2009 at 20:13:58

Jimmy, you asked "Now I?ve never played FM so let me know if I?m off here, but isn?t it all numerical stats? That doesn?t tell about the player?s attitude, his potential, his workrate, etc., so how can having access to the FM database be all that helpful?"

The answer is that they have numerical stats about his attitude, potential, workrate etc.!

This is all put together by people from all over the world, if an American 4th tier player has an attitude problem, the game knows about it because some guy in America who watches 4th tier football will have contributed to the database.
Matt Traynor
17   Posted 04/05/2009 at 04:39:21

The two brothers who developed CM / FM are both Blues - Paul and Oliver Collyer - in fact I’ve seen them contribute on here sometimes.

Last time I saw them in the UK (a few years back at Soton away) I think only Paul was still working on FM.

Don’t know if EFC had to pay anything for the deal, but I think they boys have made enough from the game down the years!

Like anything in any business, you use a range of tools to inform decisions. I’m sure if EFC use the FM database, it’s part of a wider assessment framework.