Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Cup Final Song?

Remember back in the mid-80s,when the Everton squad shuffled, recalcitrantly perhaps, on to the set of the Terry Wogan show, and proceeded to give us a giggly, cringe-worthy, but nonetheless memorable moment of happiness during those wonderful, oft-recollected years?

I don't know if the tradition of reproducing generic novelty songs is dying out in this country, with regards to the FA Cup Final, and its shameful de-valuation, but was wondering if we were planning to continue or revive this traditional staple of the English footballing diet? Anyone have a clue ?

I for one would love to see Mo The Fro, Cahill and Peanut etc pitch up on the Jonathon Ross show, lip-syncing terribly, sporting horrendous trackies, taking the piss out of each other, while Hibbert stands at the back of the group, having absolutely none of it!!!

Does anyone know if we are doing a song, and any suggestions as to what it should be? Here We Go.....
Kevin Hudson, Stoneycroft     Posted 04/05/2009 at 14:58:16

Comments

Mark McDonald
1   Posted 05/05/2009 at 04:10:39

Good call Kevin. Ever since we got into the final my 9-year-old son has been playing my "Forever Everton" CD and the thought crossed my mind would we be doing a Cup Final song. I have not been back home for 15 years so I would not know the current music scene. Our last Cup Final song was "All Together Now" (1995) was not bad. I feel we should try and get a song even if it is an unofficial one. COYB
Paul Gladwell
2   Posted 05/05/2009 at 08:02:03

They should use that matchstick men one that is on You tube.
Joeynkoo Ludden
3   Posted 05/05/2009 at 09:59:00

"the FA Cup Final, and it’s shameful de-valuation"...

31,000 tickets for the semi and 25,000 tickets for the final in a stadium that holds 90,000 - "justifiable devaluation"...
Craig Taylor
4   Posted 05/05/2009 at 10:27:46

I was thinking this very thought. Do not think it happens nowadays but I think that it is a great team bonding exercise.

All Together Now was class in 95 (Commentary from Alan Green his only good contribution to football)

"..heres Limpar, Limpar on Calderwood.... Amokachi SCORES for Everton.."

Not sure the Everton players would fit in with the Four Puffs and a Piano!.

Roger Osborne
5   Posted 05/05/2009 at 22:08:50

I would like to appear on the Ross show.

With a flamethrower and a sledgehammer and give that greasy haired Prick a beating of epic proportions. I cannot stand this individual, and for Everton to appear on the show would be a disaster in my eyes.

Anyway, I remember way back in the summer of 1984 when Everton were FA Cup winners and Charity Shield holders, and appearing on Wogan with a song, that was let?s say "questionable".

I can play it in my head right now, seeing Gray, Reid, Harper and others in god awful attire and illegal haircuts hardly even moving to the tune, sort of like the types who always stayed at the back of the disco and hid in the shadows when Careless Whisper came on, which if memory serves, was the Number One single when the team appeared on the show (August 1984).

Move forward eleven years and the Farm did the duties with "All Together Now", which made little impact on the charts, and was probably more of a disaster than what was heard before.

I don?t really care or have much time for Final Tunes, so long as we can win this FA Cup, then maybe, just maybe, a song might be heard (or two).
Sean Patton
6   Posted 05/05/2009 at 22:45:38

I recall an article recently where Fergal Sharkey agreed to write the Everton Cup Final song if we made it as a favour to his mate Andy Burnham.

Right now he is probably re-writing Teenage Kicks with Everton lyrics .
Mark McDonald
7   Posted 05/05/2009 at 23:49:56

Yeah the Undertones! They still are one of my favourite bands! "Teenage Kicks" is a classic and even though he was a Red, it was John Peel?s favourite all-time song. Could it be re-worked in a Cup Final song? Yeah it probably could. Let?s hope it happens!
Duncan McDine
8   Posted 06/05/2009 at 13:01:41

My brother and I are just working on a little YouTube video with some Everton clips from the season, and it’ll be accompanied by the song "Blue and White" which was written and recorded last year by a band called "Begbie". Its a great track re-tailored for Everton and fits the bill for a cup song, but they didn’t even get a reply from BK or the Merchandise department when it was sent (around the time of our League Cup Semi with Chelsea). Maybe its shite but I’ll post a link on a new thread as soon as its up online so you can make your own minds up.