Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

4 penalties (not given) and a funeral

It is interesting to note that our FA Cup final opponents have the full support of the media regarding their ill fortune in last night's European Semi-Final. Conspiracy theories abound, all part of Platini's plan to hamstring the English clubs from total domination.

I find it mildly amusing that when Everton are given draws against the likes of Villarreal and Standard Liege, and have had to put up with Collina's antics in Spain, there is no mention of any such conspiracy theory.

Also when Chelsea are removed from the Champions League by a Sky 4 rival with a dubious goal once again no mention of any possible wrong doing.

When a Referee like Wiley can constantly not give major decisions in Everton's favour there is no hue and cry, we are told to dust ourselves down and get on with it.

The reaction of the Stamford Bridge players was outrageous and if any Everton side reacted like that I would be ashamed of them.

But that is the crux of my post, when Graham Poll says that Chelsea should have had 4 penalties (personally I thought only 1 was a stonewall pen) it is time for Evertonians to worry about what may happen at Wembley on the 30th May. Remember Blues dignity at all times, even if the Ref has a howler and we don't win because a couple of penalties are awarded to the media darlings from up the King's Road.
Anthony Dyer, North West     Posted 07/05/2009 at 00:55:26

Comments

Cameron Hamilton
1   Posted 07/05/2009 at 10:45:01

Let’s hope no Everton team ever behaves the way Chelsea did. A disgrace to the game.

Whether there are any implications for the Cup final, I don’t know, but there must be a chance that Chelsea will drop their bundle completely after last night.
Chris Cook
2   Posted 07/05/2009 at 10:52:36

Just make sure to hire Ferguson as a body guard for when Gosling fires in the 92nd minute winner for us.
John Vanderwerff
3   Posted 07/05/2009 at 10:56:15

While I understand the players frustration re the decisions - the ref was bad all round - their behaviuor was a disgrace! I don't recall them chasing Drogba around the pitch when he missed a couple of sitters!! Let's hope they have lost the will to live and give us an easy day on the 30th! COYB!!!!
Mike Jovic
4   Posted 07/05/2009 at 10:50:47

Yes, Chelsea were unlucky not to be awarded at least 3 penalties last night. However, what's that saying... you reap what you sow!!! Drogba going down is hardly going to convince any referee that he has actually been fouled is it? And his frustrations at the end of the game are an overdue payback to one of the biggest cheats in the English game.

The behaviour of Drogba, Ballack and to a lesser extent Terry at the end of the game was a disgrace last night and they MUST be punished by the authorities. There are no mitigating circumstances that allow players to challenge match officials in such a way.

The behaviour must be shown as being unacceptable... otherwise, what example is being set to the thousands of kids who watched last night?

I think Cameron sums it up when he says he hopes no Everton Team ever behaves in that way.

Chelsea have no dignity, it's as simple as that.
Joeynkoo Ludden
5   Posted 07/05/2009 at 11:26:16

Am I the only one who doesn’t think Chelski were hard done to? At home, they allowed Barca to totally dominate, 70% possession at one point. They consistently hoofed the ball up field to the Barca defense and sat back allowing them to come at them. At 1-0, early in the second half, Drogba fashioned a one-on-one and could only lazily pass his shot onto the legs of the keeper. They have no one to blame but themselves. Man Ure went out to Porto in similar fashion a few years back. Awful tactics, and when you play a side like Barca, one moment of genius is never far away.

I sincerly hope Ballack and Drogba are punished, would be fun if they missed the Cup Final. That said, all the talk of them not getting pens means its a dead cert they’ll get one against us now. Put your money on it. Hopefully by that point we will be 3 nil up though :D COYB FTRS!
Neil Pearse
6   Posted 07/05/2009 at 11:24:11

No one comes out of last night very well (except maybe Iniesta...).

Actually, the ref was so appalling (shades of THAT Derby....) that I would not be suprised if he didn’t at least know that the ’feeling’ at UEFA Central was that they would rather avoid English domination again this year... Influence does not have be very direct to make a difference in the split moments.

Chelsea, with Liverpool, have been systematic cheaters and referee intimidators for years now. Banning Drogba for 6 European games, Ballack for 4, and Terry for 2 would be a good way to start us on the road back to sanity. Fines are of course pointless (unless they have at least eight numbers...).

Who knows how it will affect them for the 30th? It could just as easily make them even more determined to win - to get at least one trophy out of this season. The ref better be good....
Bill Goodall
7   Posted 07/05/2009 at 11:19:20

To see that behaviour from professional footballers is unbelievable. Ballack & Drogba should be suspended for a long period of time and not just from CL games.

They have been so used to ref?s crumbling in front of them that they think if things dont go their way they have a right to virtually physically abuse an official.

The ref in any game may get it wrong, once twice ten times but they are the ref and must not ever be subject to what we saw from Chelsea.

To see John Terry hold one of the stewards back and have a word to him to stop standing in Drogba's way so Drogba could continue his tirade smacks of cowardice. He did not have the balls to do it himself so he left his team mate go at it.

I am glad that I have never seen an Everton player or coach (Hiddink is a hero here in Oz but how he defended them leaves a sick feeling in my stomach) behave like that. Ban them for the first half of next season to teach the ever growing parade of over-paid footballers that, while the bring much joy to a lot of people, it does not excuse them from having to act like men.
Marcus Dawson
8   Posted 07/05/2009 at 11:30:42

I think last night may have been a slightly higher profile game; cue media frenzy. They?re only trying to sell papers. Cameron.
Martin Berry
9   Posted 07/05/2009 at 11:24:23

Neither referees excelled in the Champions League semis, and Fletcher's dismissal was very disappointing.

That said, it was good to see that the ref last night didn't fall for the loathesome wimp known as Drogba, his feigning and falling over due to heavy breathing was just comical. Maybe he will realise that you score goals by standing on your feet not falling over it the faintest contact.

I hope that whoever the ref is in the Cup Final, that he is prepared for Drogba's antics. Personally, I would love to see him sent off in the final for giving away a match winning penalty, such is my disdain for the waster. Sooner the moaner leaves these shores the better, probably the most disliked player in the Prem (after Joey Barton). COYBs
Alan Kirwin
10   Posted 07/05/2009 at 11:29:46

The rush of adrenalin and aggression is unavoidable when the stakes are so high. That’s not to excuse their bahviour. I also saw only 1 incident (Ballack shot) that was an obvious penalty.

Anelka tripped himself up and got Alves sent off (no one mentions this). Drogba regularly goes down like a lazy whore and, despite his abilities, it’s a case of the boy who cried wolf. The Pique handball was nonsense. It was kicked at him from a yard way. There used to be a decision called "ball to hand". Players can’t walk around with their hands in their shorts.

The referee may not have had a brilliant game, but I have seen worse decisions given in a game with less hulabaloo (e.g. Collina, or AJ’s goal at Blackburn last season). Fact is, players like Drogba, Gerrard, Scoles etc go to ground easier based on a) if they are in the area or not, and b) what the stakes are.

Guus Hiddink summed it up when he said that, whilst he understood & would defend his players’ emotive actions at the end, they should have focused more on the chances they did have & on the fact that Barcelona were a man short.

I have no real problem with sportsmen being upset on occasions. I have a bigger problem with cheats.
Brian Noble
11   Posted 07/05/2009 at 11:38:15

All last night did was convince me that UEFA is totally bent. I have no doubt that the last thing they wanted was another ALL ENGLISH FINAL and word was passed to the referee ? just as it was to Collina when they wanted rid of Everton. I just hope the Norwegian crook is so ashamed that like Collina he decides never to referee another game! But then, he can now afford not to!
Tim Lowe
12   Posted 07/05/2009 at 11:49:05

Conspiracy theory my arse. How do you explain the ridiculous decision to send off Eric Abidal then? The ref had a complete shocker but talk of a conspiracy is well wide of the mark.

Last night was another example of why I'm losing all faith in football, but I guess it makes me even prouder to be a Blue; can you imagine the likes of Jags, Mikky or Tim chasing the ref around and swearing to the camera in front of millions of people round the world?

Drogba is a complete disgrace to the game and should get a lengthy ban, I dont know if it's been mentioned but didn't he leave the pitch "injured" as well? Didn't look injured at the final whistle.

I just hope even more now that we can do them in the Cup Final. Not only would it be a terrific victory for us, it would be a victory for football as a whole.

Rant over, COYB!!!!

David Moore
13   Posted 07/05/2009 at 12:09:27

This may be a little optimistic but i think that a ban for Drogba, Ballack, Lampard and Terry (the latter two a smaller ban) for their antics after the game and in Ballack's case the final couple of minutes. In Australia we had a similar case where a player touched a referee (hi-fived him) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wBl2gsSKTk

He got 8 months and missed the olympics. I would like to see Fifa show some balls and ban the players for a smilar length, I think the Drogba and Ballack should be rubbed out for a year each and Lampard and Terry 6 games. I think that Chelsea as a club should be sanctioned.

If that were to happen, which is extremelly unlikely as the only balls in the Uefa offices are the footballs, would the four be suspended for the FA Cup final?

In another scenario, would Chelsea impose an internal punishment as thet would want to show some muscle?

I think it all leads to a Chelsea team fired up for the Cup, which is not what we want.
Neil Pearse
14   Posted 07/05/2009 at 12:13:00

Well, if 99% of all non Chelsea (and of course RS) support was with us for the final, I think after last night we just got the remaining 1%...

Really, who wants to see John Terry (how IS this man the England captain?) lift a cup and parade it around Wembley with low life cheats like Ballack, Anelka and Drogba? (Compare: Neville, with Cahill, Lescott and Pienaar.) Let’s just hope having everyone on our side helps.
Graham Duffy
15   Posted 07/05/2009 at 12:17:12

I think Chelski were understandably angry last night. In my opinion the recation of their players was justified. If Everton had been refused those penalty decisions last night i would want our players to react in the same way! If they didn’t react in that way I would be pissed off with the players too!
Those penalty decisons were shocking!
Rich Grisdale
16   Posted 07/05/2009 at 12:39:47

I couldn't have put it better myself mate...
Tony Williams
17   Posted 07/05/2009 at 12:53:19

Neil, I would actually leave Pienaar's name out, he is along with Yak one of our worst culprits for diving. He does get clouted a lot but he also goes down quicker than Paris Hilton with a camcorder near her.

I can understand Chavski?s frustration, they had a game plan that almost worked but they should have been out of sight with at least two pens. The ref probably got word that he messed up with the sending off and spent the rest of the game trying to make up for it.

Ballack and Drogba should receive lengthy bans but I doubt it will mean they will be banned from the FA Cup, just Europe, but fingers crossed you never know. I am surprised that the ref didn?t send both Bollock and Dogbra off though.

They were screwed by the ref though, none of this ball to hand crap with Pique, his arm was raised to almost head height and he clearly stopped Anelka from a deffinite scoring opportunity.
Jim Slade
18   Posted 07/05/2009 at 12:56:02

Absolutely spot on, Anthony. We show class and dignity when we are screwed over and Chelsea showed last night that they are in the same class as the redshite. I wouldn't have Drogba in a swap for Osman. I would have Barton before him.
Joseph Foster
19   Posted 07/05/2009 at 12:59:23

I just thought it was hilarious. Drogba’s rant straight at the camera classic.
Peter Hurley
20   Posted 07/05/2009 at 12:55:29

These players are some of the most highly paid in the world and are looked up to as heros and demi-Gods by thousands if not millions of youngsters around the globe, what kind of example are they setting to them? And how anyone can justify the behaviour they displayed last night is a bit mind-boggling to me. just bullies and thugs, and a disgrace to football, sport and the human race in general, simple as that!

Equally disapointing was Hiddink defending such actions afterwards, shame on you Gus. I can only hope that this puts them under ever-more increasing pressure when they meet us at Wembley and that no matter what happens there that we don?t lower ourselves to their level of scum behaviour.

John Wells
21   Posted 07/05/2009 at 13:24:57

I can completely understand the way they acted. Put yourselves in their position. Beaten the way they were last season, coming into great form at the right time of year and then get that done. I?m no fan of Chelsea but I really wanted them to win to take their mind off us but you?d have to feel for them.

If that was Everton and our players acted that way I?d understand it as I would be trying to get to the ref myself!! (just kidding). All the fans roaring, huge occasion, the rematch that they?ve wanted all year tasted. Do you all really think you could hold it in and walk calmly off the park???

Paul Lynch
22   Posted 07/05/2009 at 13:31:33

I think the referee in the Chelski v Barca match was a Kopite coz he was from Norway and a toss-pot ... COYB
Seamus McCrudden
23   Posted 07/05/2009 at 13:27:42

All this talk is besides the point and only a consequence of the ignorance of not using technology to sort out the contentious issues in the game. All the big talking points would have been sorted with the eye in the sky, and it would also stop the drogba divers conning refs, and also the nonsense that went on at the end of last nights game. Bring in the technology that every other sport is using and stop the farce that our beloved game is fast becoming.
Oz Flanagan
24   Posted 07/05/2009 at 13:14:20

I have no sympathy for Chelski, they played against 10 men while they were a goal up, in their own ground...... and then threw it away.

They lost.

I have even less sympathy for their fans, the attendance last night was 38,000 in a ground that holds 42,000!

Can you imagine even Goodison’s restricted view seats being empty in a Champions League semi with Barca?

Their not fans, they are just people with too much money who are able to read a recent league table.
Alan McMillan
25   Posted 07/05/2009 at 13:33:34

Didier, did your mother ever tell you the story of the boy that cried wolf? He embarrassed himself, his family and his club last night. Payback for plying his trade in the deceitful manner in which he chooses. Any chance of a 5 game ban which would rule him out of the FA Cup final? I think not.
Ajay Gopal
26   Posted 07/05/2009 at 13:28:24

Tony Williams, I got to take issue with you over Peanuts.

"he also goes dowm quicker than Paris Hilton with a camcorder near her" - I think not, if you saw the 1st goal last week against Sunderland !
Ben Knight
27   Posted 07/05/2009 at 13:06:38

Firstly, does last night not make a mockery of the ?Respect? campaign that they are trying to promote??

Secondly, am I the only one in thinking that John Terry has never been involved in any handball incidents (less than 100 incidents counts as zero in their eyes!!!) and got away with it. Being an Everton fan, I?m sure he?s handled the ball on several occasions against us!! Last night was just desserts in my eyes.

Thirdly, am I the only one who gets annoyed at people referring to a Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool dominated competition as English dominance or ?It?s good for English Football??? Bollocks. How does it benefit Everton when these 4 teams continually earn more money (and world wide exposure) from playing in the Champions League? The further they go in the competition, the more they earn, the better players they can buy, meaning they are securing their position in the top 4 spots in the league. Thus the vicious circle continues and the further behind the rest of football becomes.

Anyway, off my soap box!!! COYB
Neal Sutherland
28   Posted 07/05/2009 at 13:50:24

Possibly the cherry on top and the funniest bit was Sky showing Drogba swearing again. Richard Keys reacted like ’oh god, sorry, sorry’ as if they hadn’t realised what he said. How could you miss that!?
Tony I'Anson
29   Posted 07/05/2009 at 07:06:43

Perhaps it's time to end the Away Goals Rule?

It's not that I wanted Chelsea to get to the CL Final 3 days before the FA Cup final, with potentially knackered or injured players. It's more to do with the fact that in the modern global game where a goalie who has played in England for 5 years is eligible to play for England; where the free movement of labour with no passport required is in force; where cheap flights to Barca cost less than a taxi to the match; where fans of the big 4 come from foreign lands en masse every Saturday; where a Barcelona fan interviewed before the CL match last night had a Northern English accent.

We live in a time where a good English meal consists of a Chinese on a Friday, an Indian on a Saturday, and a Pizza on a Sunday night. The times we live in have changed immeasurably over the last few years, and I think it's time that Fifa have another look at this now outdated Away Goals rule.

I'm sure every Chelsea fan would have preferred extra time and even penalties last night having gone out of the competition not by the other team scoring more goals over the home and away matches, but by a stupid rule I've never liked even from when I was a kid. Plus millions of viewers worldwide could have had an extra 30+ minutes of immense sporting entertainment to go down in history. But no. They score in injury time and all the focus is on a moaning Drogba trying to kill the ref.

Kieran Kinsella
30   Posted 07/05/2009 at 14:30:51

Most of the Utd players are tee-totallers whereas every day the Sun has pictures of Lampard, Terry, Drogba and co on the booze. When the Scotland players did that they were crucified whereas as after the Liverpool game Lamps and co where apparently drunk on the town until 4 am and were out even later 3 days later after their next game. That helps explain why they aren?t winning anything any more and gives me hope for the cup. They are old, arrogant party boys.
Neil Pearse
31   Posted 07/05/2009 at 14:51:16

I understand the upset reaction of the Chelsea players - the referee’s decisions were scandalous to the point of being Clattenburgesque.

But this was not just players ’reacting in the moment’. Chelsea, like Liverpool, have put into practice a systematic policy of referee intimidation for the last three or four seasons (I do think ManU and Arsenal are a bit better). This was an extreme version of what these boys do every single week.
Tony Williams
32   Posted 07/05/2009 at 15:05:15

Ajay, yes he stayed on his feet for once, 6 foot away from goal. It usually happens that way when people who go down easy have a good chance of scoring.

Taking a leaf from the editor’s and Marshy’s book re Osman and his Wigan performance, One swallow does not a summer make (in a Yoda stylee)
Will Leaf
33   Posted 07/05/2009 at 14:38:29

I thought someone else might have floated this one out there: How about Chelsea getting a ban for next year’s Champions League, allowing the fifth spot into the qualifying phase. Not going to happen, but would be quite nice. I could then see Roman taking his toys home and the whole Chelsea house of card crumbling within a month (At least the real Chelsea fans would get their club back.. Their chant of "Where were you, where were you, where were you when we were shlt " always brings a chuckle).

Right, incoherent ramble over!
Alan Clarke
34   Posted 07/05/2009 at 15:34:10

I watched the game with the sound off so I couldn’t hear Andy Gray and the other twats on Sky going on all night. This way you get a far more objective view of whether they were pens or not. I agree there was only 1 stonewall pen. They’ll be so diasppointed now, we’ll spank them on 30th.
Patty Beesley
35   Posted 07/05/2009 at 15:52:28

Makes it harder for us... Chelsea might have been knackered for the FA Cup Final if they had played in the Champions? League Final the Wednesday night before...

Also, the FA Cup is the only bit of silverware Chelsea are likely to win now this season. Let?s hope the Ref at the final doesn?t feel sorry for them in relation to last night?s semi-final.

Yusuf Bobat
36   Posted 07/05/2009 at 16:12:06

Chelsea and Drogba got what they deserved last night, If Drogba didn’t spend so much time on the ground faking injury there probably wouldn’t have been 4 mins of injury time and the game would have been over before Iniesta got the equalizer, Ha serves them right.
James Inglis
37   Posted 07/05/2009 at 16:16:39

I also watched the game without the sound and was free to make my own mind up about the penalty incidents without listening to the idiots on the TV. I thought the only penalty was the Pique handball. On the flip side, the Abidal sending off was a shocking decision.

The Chelsea players reaction at the end of (and in Ballack?s case during) the game showed them up for what they are... a disgrace to themselves, club, family and the game. Any players attacking the ref like that should be faced with substantial bans in all competitions and enormous fines. Unlikely to happen though...

In any case, we can knock em off in the final. COYB!

Mark Murphy
38   Posted 07/05/2009 at 16:39:44

Heres a conspiracy theory for you!

IF Chelsea had won last night they would have played a major final 3 days before playing a rested Everton at Wembley in the FA cup and hence would have been knackered and still pissed like us in ?85. The referee last night was Norwegian so ipso facto a gobshite. No way would he want us to win anything so he made sure that Chelsea are nice and rested for the big one.

Well, makes more sense than he was trying to avoid an all-English final by reducing the opposition to 10 men.

Dave Roberts
39   Posted 07/05/2009 at 16:43:17

Patty,

What are you saying lass?

’The FA Cup is the only trophy Chelsea are LIKELY to win this season’

I think our lads might have something to say about that!
Dave Roberts
40   Posted 07/05/2009 at 16:49:39

Mark Murphy

Absolutely spot on mate. It stands out a mile! Fooking Norwegians!
Tony Waring
41   Posted 07/05/2009 at 16:39:28

Agree with a lot of the foregoing but in the final analysis the better team won ? all ten of them and Iniesta?s goal was beautifully made and executed.... unlike Essien?s in which the ball only reached him when it ricocheted off a Chelsea defender, i.e. great goal but fortunate.

I have to say I hope Barca stuff Rooney & company in the final because on their day, which is just about every day of the week, they are truly awesome and a delight to watch for a supporter or neutral.

Pete Clark
42   Posted 07/05/2009 at 16:31:20

What I found pretty funny was the sight of Michael Ballack twisting his body out of the way when Iniesta took aim. FFS, it?s not a medicine ball. You put your head down slightly so not to take full impact in the kipper but to squirm away from your duty like that shows that he?s got no bollocks. I am sure that although Hiddink has defended them slightly, he probably can?t wait to get away from them.
Les Turner
43   Posted 07/05/2009 at 16:51:50

Chelsea complain about bad refereeing decisions losing them the game. Nothing to do with Drogba bring shite and missing a more than half decent chance. Hope Uefa ban him from playing football and he misses the Cup Final.
Ciaran MacGiollaEoin
44   Posted 07/05/2009 at 16:56:27

What kind of moron wears flip flops at a football match... Drogba.

Anyway I digress... one obvious penalty dismissed and those Chelsea muppets engage in assault and affray... personally I hope they get locked up.

They were simply beaten by a better team, with ten men... anybody who says there is a conspiracy is an idiot. The ref sent a Barcelona player off for nothing FFS.

Oh aye, and while I?m at it... Fletcher?s sending off the night before was a clear implementation of the rules... he took the player while getting the ball, therefore it was a foul... and as that foul prevented a goalscoring opportunity it's a red. There?s no discretion. OFF.
Keith Glazzard
45   Posted 07/05/2009 at 17:15:23

We all knew the media were going to award the FA Cup to their darlings before the kick-off. Now the certain victory will be billed as "only fair" as they suffered so much at the hands of that Norwegian referee.

Moyes has shown this season that he can play the ante-post mind games successfully so it should be interesting to see how he handles the build-up to the game.
Neil McKinney
46   Posted 07/05/2009 at 17:43:04

The behaviour of Chelsea?s senior players yesterday was unacceptable. However, it was IMO understandable. I watched the game from a totally impartial point of view and I was astounded by the referee!

There were at least 5 penalty shouts. Of those 5 at least 4 would have been given, as individual decisions, in any Premier League or European game. Some above have suggested only one was a stone waller, not everyone has stated which one they thought was a penalty, but I bet if they were against Everton you would have screamed injustice if you hadn?t got every single one.

That was a great piece of entertainment last night, but not a particularly good advert for the game in my book. Chelsea could have won that game 5-1, yet we?re all still waxing lyrical about Beautiful Barca. Well, fuck Barca! They are great passers of the ball and have excellent technique, but I thought Huddink showed what an excellent coach he is by getting Chelsea to play to their strengths and effectively shut Barca down. They had one shot on target FFS! You can pass it around all day but at some point you have to score!

I don?t like to see hoofball and I want EFC to play it on the deck, but I don?t want to watch them stroke it around all game and draw 1-1. Chelsea should be as frustrated at their missed opportunities as they are at the referee?s display, but to say that you wouldn?t react the same way, in the same situation, with the same at stake, after being denied a 5th penalty shout is naive. <>The reaction on here after the Clattenburg debacle showed how emotions can take over. You?ll never really know how you would react until you are in the situation. They should be punished for their antics as it must be shown that it is unacceptable, but I do not believe any other team would?ve reacted any differently in the same circumstances. If you are put under that much pressure then at times you will crack!
Mike Whittaker
47   Posted 07/05/2009 at 17:46:41

At least we know now that there is not much point in playing like Barcelona in the cup final. Last night they had one shot on goal. Moyes now knows that flair, pace and imagination wont do it against Chelsea. It has to be hoofball. Neville and Castillo in the middle and lets launch it 50 yards each time we have it.
Michael Greaves
48   Posted 07/05/2009 at 18:29:11

Ciaran in your mind then, all tackles must be fouls? This is the problem with "modern" football. Tackling and defending are not considered to be entertainment and therefore have been gradually demonized, deemed not welcome to the party which is the beautiful game.

The game is riddled with cheating, particularly on the continent. Not sure why we bother to even compete particularly at the national level as it seems that success will never happen, due to a lack of ability to adapt to that sort of mind set, rather than a shortcoming in technical ability.

Iain Love
49   Posted 07/05/2009 at 19:06:22

This is why Video-refs should not be allowed, it?s great that opinions etc can continue long after the match has finished.

And yes Chelski should have had at least 1 pen (the handball) I don't know how Alan could say that was ball to hand the others??? Could have gone either way, sad to see Chelski go out... I wanted them in the final extra time knackered for the FA Cup, but at least Barca v Manure will be a better game.

Adam Wilkinson
50   Posted 07/05/2009 at 19:32:01

It?d be brilliant if Uefa gave lengthy bans to Drogba, Ballack and Terry so they missed the FA cup final!

Shame it probably won?t happen though.
Dave Wilson
51   Posted 07/05/2009 at 20:01:11

Why is everyone so focused on the Champions League? That other "profile raising " European competition is reaching its climax too. WARRA ya mean, you hadn't noticed???

Shakhtar Donetsk are in the final...
Rob Treacy
52   Posted 07/05/2009 at 21:14:19

Our team behaves with dignity ? nobody chased that Clatten-pox around when he raped us in the derby a couple of years ago.
Kevin Hudson
53   Posted 07/05/2009 at 21:26:45

FA Cup Final: May 30th

Class versus cash.......
Kevin Hudson
54   Posted 07/05/2009 at 21:50:58

" One nil...And you fucked it up...!! "
Stephen Graham
55   Posted 08/05/2009 at 01:53:37

There’s only two words to be said about this: Fuck Chelsea!
Ciaran MacGiollaEoin
56   Posted 08/05/2009 at 08:55:04

I'd love to know how you come to the conclusion that I think ?all tackles must be fouls?, Michael.

What I said, if you?d care to read it properly, was on an objective application of the rules ? Fletcher's was.
Tony Williams
57   Posted 08/05/2009 at 10:02:46

The thing is, Ciaran, they can go either way. Hibbert has made a career out of taking the ball and the man. I did a double take on your comment also, I assume what Michael is thinking is that you meant that no matter if you get the ball first and then take the man then it will be a foul, which is obviously incorrect.

However, if you take the ball and the man at the same time, I personally don?t think it is a foul, as long as your initial impact is with the ball.
Peter Howard
58   Posted 08/05/2009 at 11:02:44

All together now: "1-0 and you fucked it up."
Ciaran McGiollaEoin
59   Posted 08/05/2009 at 13:42:04

Tony,

The circumstances play a big part. But of course there can times (like fletchers) when you get the ball then take the player out... and its still a foul.

For you to state outright that this is ?obviously incorrect? just indicates you haven?t read the rules since the early 80s.

You see.. the problem with these type of arguments is that people argue on the basis of what they think the rules should be ? not what they are.

Tackling with careless, reckless or excessive force = foul. Law 12.
Tony Williams
60   Posted 11/05/2009 at 08:51:58

Ciaran I did reply to this on Friday but I am in pre-mod because I disagreed with Marshy 3 weeks ago.

My "obviously incorrect" comments with in regards to what Michael was thinking. I had to do a double take when reading your post, as I thought you meant that every tackle where you get the ball and then the man is a foul, hence my saying Michael was "obviously incorrect" in that way of thought.

I can see where you may have been confused with my wording but there?s hardly any need for your usual sarcastic comments about the 80s. (I know me suggesting others not be sarcastic, ironic isn?t it?)