Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Joe Ledley

So it looks like we're having a sniff around Joe Ledley. I dug up a "scouting" report that Steve Claridge did for The Guardian ? he looks like he'd fit in perfectly at Goodison (and bear in mind this was written in 2006):.
Ed Bottomley, Milford, MI USA     Posted 07/05/2009 at 11:39:57

Comments

Fergal O'Regan
1   Posted 07/05/2009 at 20:40:11

Sorry Ed, but wasn't the same said about Simon Davies? That report describes Kevin Kilbane to a tee. What we need is a winger in the mould of Joe Cole, Wright Phillps, I'd even take a risk on Bentley.

We need our wingers to take on full backs, comfortable on de ball and a eye for goal. Leadley is too much like Kilbane and Davies, always playing it safe and no trickery.

Richard Murray
2   Posted 07/05/2009 at 20:58:02

Maybe so, but we really need to try and bring in someone with that ’special’ something, rather than more of the same: lots of graft not much guile.
Will Leaf
3   Posted 07/05/2009 at 22:12:15

Slightly off topic, but fergal’s mention of Bentley....I cringe when that arrogant, disloyal, knob’s name is mentioned in the same breath as Everton. Bentley is not cut from our Royal Blue cloth and has no place on our team.

On topic, I agree with the above and we need someone with a little more je ne sais quoi than Ledley.
Aidy Dews
4   Posted 07/05/2009 at 22:57:02

Its a right winger we want, not left sided, why break up the partnership of Baines and Pienaar when there working so well together, its down the right hand side we need to find a combination that works as good as are left hand side!!
Gavin Goodwin
5   Posted 07/05/2009 at 23:14:41

Aidy, the simple reason is because Peanuts is not a natural left footed player. He would be more useful on the right.
Gareth Hughes
6   Posted 08/05/2009 at 00:18:49

The report says Ledley is slow. We need pace. Simple. You can therefore take it as read that we will sign him in the summer. Moyes has had 5 years to address the lack of pace in our side but always fails to do so. If Ledley is hard working but average Moyes will fancy him. He just doesn?t trust flair players. After all it took him 3 years to play Arteta in his rightful position.
Andy Crooks
7   Posted 08/05/2009 at 00:37:21

Fergal, you?ve got it right... Ledley is not for us. A winger with pace is probably beyond our budget but if Burnley miss promotion then Chris Eagles, fit and well, might be a decent cheap signing.
Jason Broome
8   Posted 08/05/2009 at 01:32:54

Moyes could make Ledley a good player, but not a great one. He’s a mid-table winger at best who would be in awe of Arteta.

Even though I love the guy, I’m tired of Arteta being our best player. We need to treat ourselves to a exciting, pacy winger while our premium is high!
John Brennan
9   Posted 07/05/2009 at 16:57:50

Perhaps I should start by saying something about myself. I began to support Everton in Autumn 1972 because I had a couple of mates who were Toffee fans and we went to Stamford Bridge that autumn. I think we lost 2-0 or 2-1 (can someone put me right there?? who scored, etc)??

Anyway, I am not Liverpool born (my dad was in the army) so home was where I happened to be at the time. As the years rolled by and my hair turned grey, I thoroughly enjoyed supporting the Toffees and boasting about our wins and triumphs (1985 etc). It is also important for you to know that I am a Jethro Tull fan, that I like real ale, and that I am a supporter of the RSPB.

Oh, yes, I also have 3 children and I am divorced. I am 56 and can remember living in London and being a massive Bob Latchford fan. I also remember going to the Baseball Ground in January 76 in the FA Cup and losing!!!

Anyway, lets get down to brass tacks ? if we lose the FA Cup Final, will DM move on to Man U (if they lose to Barca)?? If he does, who will/would succeed him? I might be inclined to go for Gary Johnson, currently at Bristol City, or Dave Jones at Cardiff. If you want to look outside, would Frank Rijkaard be interested??

Assuming he stays, which will be the most sensible option, who will he bring in?? Don't want Owen!!! Would you go for Fletcher from Man U or Duff from Newcastle? Would you take both those riches, or would you add various players from Sporting, Bayern, Dynamo, wherever??? Just thought I would ask--- god bless you all!!!

Matthew Verinder
10   Posted 08/05/2009 at 08:34:03

Ledley would be a good addition to the squad but I don't think he will improve it much. We need a right winger. I'd look at that Dalmat and Joaquin, we need pace. I'd also look at getting Huddlestone ? he is a great passer of the ball and can also play centre back!

A must is Moutinho; he would then become our best player... and maybe we should look for a striker abroad with pace.

Tim Wardrop
11   Posted 08/05/2009 at 08:59:00

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pace, pace, pace ? how many times does it need to be said! Joe Cole, Joe Ledley, David Bentley (scum).....they?re all good players, but not what we need! I would rather we took a punt on a Lennon-type player ? someone who can carry the ball over 40 / 50 yards, drive at the opposition and take people on.

Even if all they do half the time is win a throw in the opposition half, we have to inject some pace into the midfield. This is an absolute must: our biggest failing is our inability to counter attack and drive at people with pace.

The question is: is there anyone out there?

Colin Smith
12   Posted 08/05/2009 at 10:39:42

I agree with Gavin, Pienaar would be better playing on the right hand side. Not sure, who would be a good fit on the left; Ledley would be a gamble. Downing?s OK but I do not think he is worth the silly money Boro will be asking.

Until recently I liked Pedersen at Blackburn, but he has gone off the boil, maybe Moyes could get him going. Similarly, if Damien Duff could retrieve his Blackburn form he would be worth buying, but I think he is on the downward slide. Hunt at Reading, again OK, but is he one to help push Everton up to the next level?

Dan Mckie
13   Posted 08/05/2009 at 11:14:06

I disagree with people saying Pienaar would be better on the right. He is most effective with Baines overlapping, leaving him with space to cut inside with the ball himself or use Baines. I'm not sure he's as good when he is at the byline, which he would need to do more on the right-hand side!

I think a pacy right winger is needed, and hope they get an understanding with whoever is at right back. This would give us both balance and variety!

Fran Mitchell
14   Posted 08/05/2009 at 11:26:56

Ever heard of a squad? We get Ledley, who is a talented player (far better than Kilbane), and it gives Pienaar competition. If he is £5mil, which seems about the price as they rejected £6mil but now he has just 1 year left on his contract. I doubt there are many better player you can get for £5mil, also fits the bill of a Moyes player, could turn out a very astute signing.

But, I do agree that pace is a necessity. Downing I feel would be an expensive Ledley, Bentley doesn't have pace and is a arrogant tit (however, when at Blackburn, was one hell of a player, 15+ assists and 10 goals in 2 consecutive seasons, for a midfielder). I would go for Bentley, but only if we had spare cash (£10-12mil) ? which we don't ? so it's a no.

Two foreign imports who could be a bit expensive but could really improve the tem are Eljero Elia (FC Twente) and Ibrahim Afellay (PSV). Both have fantastic pace can play on both wings and attack, and would suit our formation perfectly, with Yak in the middle and them two out wide, with Mikel and Felli central and Nev sitting with pienaar, Cahill, Rodwell, Gosling etc all offering us room for rotation. That Dalmat is another, however I know him from 2 matches vs Everton, whilst these two cost maybe less and look like 2 new Dutch wonderkids.

Add to that a right back who can cross and we're good to go.

Unfortunately, it's so easy when your just spouting names of players you'd like to play for the club.
James Bowman
15   Posted 08/05/2009 at 12:57:02

I hope we dont get Owen... would much prefer us to have a go for Wagner Love. Ledley I think could be worth a shout, would prefer him over Bentley. I think Niko Krankjar could be worth a look and I think I’m with the masses when I dont rate Downings worth. Huddlestone is worth rating though... fingers crossed for Moutinho. Will have check out Frans suggestion of the two Dutch kids, they sound promising and youth seems to be high on Moyes list at the moment.

COYB!!!
Martin Berry
16   Posted 08/05/2009 at 18:56:29

So some stories are going around that maybe Joe Ledley could become an Everton player... the majority of posters don't sound so keen, as there's an opinion that he?s not got pace, well I will say the following in his defence, whether he comes to Everton or not.

The lad is 22, already the captain of Cardiff and has played over 200 games for the club! He is said to be an extremely hard worker who covers all of the flank (so he must have some pace, and certainly abundant stamina), he can pick out a pass, rarely gives the ball away, and can accuratly cross it. But will he be up to the Prem?

With this in mind, consider the players brought in by Moyes, who initially were a step behind, think Jags, Bainesy, Fellaini, they have all got up to speed with the demands of the Prem, I see no difference in Ledley, in fact I am pretty sure his style will lead him to become a crowd favorite, wherever he goes.

I hear you cry, pace, pace, pace... yeh like Downing, SWP, Lennon ? headless chickens who couldn't produce a cross if Dracula was standing over there granny! I think I know which type of player I prefer.

I think Moyes has a knowledge of the Championship, second to none, his signings from there prove it, whatever happens in Moyes we trust.

Also, it's good to feel that this season the signings look like being concluded prior to pre-season, with no last minute fannying about like last, which cost us such a bad start.
Ian Tunny
17   Posted 09/05/2009 at 01:21:37

I wonder how many of you have actually seen him play.

Arteta and Becham aren't exactly pacy when playing on the wing and still produce the assists. If we could get him for £3-4m he would be at the very least a good replacement for AvdM. Well will certainly need a big squad in the Europe league.
Martin Clark
18   Posted 09/05/2009 at 10:09:04

I would like to see Gudjohnsen or Marc Janko of Red Bull Salzburg and Nico Krancjiar of Portsmouth! Think these would be great additions and all play good football, bringing in a bit more creativity and variation to our play. Not sure if we could even afford them but the thoughts nice.

Janko looks awesome though and think he’d be a better option than Jo and probably cheaper!
Ian Lewis
19   Posted 09/05/2009 at 12:50:27

I have seen him play for Wales loads. He's alright, functional and would be a good addition to our squad as he can play central midfield. If he has a year left on his contract, I would be offering £3.5M tops.

I can see moyes taking him, Naughton (Shef Utd), and a couple of others that are up coming Championship players. It would have been interesting if Wolves hadn?t gone up as I think he would have gone for Banks-Blake and Kightly (this lad is worth a punt).

I would like to see Pienaar on the right, as I think he would be more effective on his natural foot. I'm surprised about comments on Downing ? I think this lad would kick on if he had a decent set of players to play around. He scores goals, good injury record, and creates. Forget Lennon ? he wouldn?t come.

I would keep Jacobsen, sign a young left back, centre mid, right wing and striker or two. I think we will have some money ? cup run, johnson cash. Let's wait and see ? please get them early to avoid a rubbish start for 09-10.

Everton for the Cup!
Ian Raws
20   Posted 09/05/2009 at 13:35:16

I watched cardiff at Crystal palace a few weeks ago (free ticket from father in law) and watched Joe to see if he would be good enough to wear the royal blue. My opinion was that he would be just like Osman and would disppear in games.

It's a big jump from the Championship to the Prem ? look at Ben Watson at Wigan. He was a good player in the Championship and was behind the pace and couldn?t get into the game at Goodison. But if you want a young winger who can take people on, we could do worse than look at Victor Moses at Palace.

Brian Taylor
21   Posted 10/05/2009 at 10:45:26

Has anybody picked up on the Tevez interview in the Daily Mail? He's quoted as saying.. "Any club I join, whether it be Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool or Everton, will be a rival of Manchester United."

If we are going to break into the top four he's the kind of player we need, lets just hope big bill can find the cash!

I think we need 3 new top class players so we can get the 70+ points we need for top 4 I'd go for...

Glen Johnson £7m
Manny £7m
Tevez £25m

Come on you blues!

Ben Jones
22   Posted 11/05/2009 at 11:57:04

According to skysports, we have just signed the German startlet Shkdoran Mustafi, our third signing of the summer.

I gotta admit, even if this kid will not be in the first team for ages yet, it is encouraging to see we are making signings early for a change instead of the last week of the transfer window... and also making signings for the future.

Long may it continue! COYB

Robert Jones
23   Posted 11/05/2009 at 17:01:05

Everton are close to completing a deal for the teenage German defender Shkodran Mustafi, to the disgust of his present club, Hamburg. The 16-year-old, who was in the Germany Under-17 side who beat their England counterparts 4-0 last week, is believed to have agreed a three-year contract with the Goodison Park club.

"We really tried to keep Shkodran at our club, but when there is a club from England coming up we are unable and unwilling to compete financially," said Jens Todt, the head of Hamburg's youth academy. "It is tough to accept, but it will not destroy us. We are just hoping this is not going to happen too often again."

Good to see us bringing in young players that can back up the first team, give us some depth.

Brian Garside
24   Posted 09/05/2009 at 10:12:22

Jose Baxter is Englands Nr 9. The Under 17s are playing Germany in the Euro´s. The match is being shown live on Eurosport or www.myp2p.eu England started best but are loosing 0-1 after 15mins.
Scott Jenner
25   Posted 16/05/2009 at 18:39:54

This subject split many Evertonians in Januray but Reading have now realesed Leroy Lita and is available for Free. Surely this would be a good squad addition? His goal record is not to bad and still fairly young so could be moulded into a hard wroking striker that Moyes likes?
Doug Walters
26   Posted 20/05/2009 at 04:31:05

With Boro about to go down I was just wondering what anyone thought of Tuncay and Adam Johnson as potential transfers.