Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Attractive summer haven for Tevez?

Well the summer transfer window is nearly here and rumours are strife. One particular story doing the rounds today caught my attention was the story about Carlos Tevez saying he will definately not be at United next season and cited us amongst others as a rival to United and a team he would be interested in joining. Even though we would never find the cash to sign him, I found it as a very promising sign that we are becoming a top destination for players of his quality.

Watch this space....
Ian Tod, liverpool/merseyside     Posted 10/05/2009 at 17:16:23

Comments

Fran Mitchell
1   Posted 10/05/2009 at 17:46:20

"Any club I join, whether it be Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool or Everton, will be a rival of Manchester United."

Now of course there is absolutely no chance that we are in for him, or would have a chance even if we were due to wages and his £25mil plus transfer fee.

BUT... this obvioulsy shows a change in how the big players percieve Everton. Hopefulyy in a couple of years we will seriously be linked with such calibre of player, but its a move in the right direction.

Nick Entwistle
2   Posted 10/05/2009 at 22:06:24

On a previous post I was for this possibility. Seeing that he would be willing to sign for City though brings questions into his motivations... maybe he thinks they can blossom into top-table rivals, or maybe they just got a shit load of cash... and that?s not the kind of player we buy.
Mark Pendleton
3   Posted 10/05/2009 at 22:27:10

Whatever his perceived motivations, whilst playing for West Ham or Man Utd, you could certainly never doubt his work rate.
Will Leaf
4   Posted 10/05/2009 at 22:19:46

Tevez is not even officially a signed Man Utd player, is he? He is on some strange loan contract at £5 mill/year I believe, so I would not be inclined to attack his character for joining City, which I believe is where he will eventually end up should he leave Utd. Sounds like he is setting down a defence early for such a move.

I get the feeling he just wants to start for a competitive team, however. Who knows, he is a great player and they may find a way to keep him. They?d certainly be better served sending Berbatov to the door, and keeping Tevez.

But yes, I did see that comment earlier and had the same thought. Seems we are now visible beneath that glass ceiling (floor for them!) that separates us from the Sky Cartel. It?s not that long ago we could have contemplated bringing such a player to Goodison... sigh.

Nick Entwistle
5   Posted 10/05/2009 at 22:41:52

Just watching him play on MOTD2... great goal... but Ronaldo, what an obnoxious little oik...
Kevin Sparke
6   Posted 11/05/2009 at 01:20:06

Forget it boys... we?ve as much chance of signing him as I have of nobbing Scarlett Johansson... ie none.

But... would I want him anyway?

Screech 9 goals - Tevez 2

Okay, goals are not everything ? but if you don?t score them ? you don?t win.
Rich Williams
7   Posted 11/05/2009 at 02:41:27

Tevez would be the perfect foil for the Yak and the Gladwys would love his workrate... We are not allowed to part-own players though, only Man Utd or Liverpool can do that...
Derek Thomas
8   Posted 11/05/2009 at 05:26:51

It’s not a glass ceiling but a sticky floor, the more money you cover it with the less sticky it becomes.
Dave Wilson
9   Posted 11/05/2009 at 06:48:04

Its a bit harsh to say he?s a mercenary. Yes the money must be a factor, but only people who truly love the game approach it the way he does. DM wants his pound of flesh from all his strikers. He would be beside himself at the thought of having a forward with such an appetite for the game.

Blue Bill's pockets are nowhere near deep enough, an obvious non-starter.

Sam Higgins
10   Posted 11/05/2009 at 07:37:54

Oh No!! Don't make Tevez our summer-long Moutinho/Fernandes wankathon that ends in nothing more than a limp cock and unforfilled expectations.
Colin Potter
11   Posted 11/05/2009 at 09:17:13

Kevin,
That lump Screech is not on the same planet as Tevez!!!
Damian Scott
12   Posted 11/05/2009 at 09:56:01

Great to be in the thoughts of a player like this, and I do think its great that this calibre of player thinks of us as a team they would play in...

But as others have said, its fairytale stuff as we just don’t have the cash. We’d have to sell Goodison to afford him :-)
EJ Ruane
13   Posted 11/05/2009 at 09:55:51

Re Tevez, Kevin Spark asks the question..

?But would I want him?? and points out ?Screech?s superior goals record.

Ummm..yeah, when you think about it, that IS a tough one. (Contacts any living McWhirter to come and verify world record for rolling eyes while tutting and shaking head in despair...)
Tom Bowers
14   Posted 11/05/2009 at 11:22:58

Tevez speaks Spanish right? That means Benitez will get him if Manure don?t want him. Enough said.
Andy Ellams
15   Posted 11/05/2009 at 11:24:14

Tevez would be the perfect player for Everton, money aside (I know that is a major part of the issue).

He is absolute world class but with a great attitude and is a superb, honest pro. What a great time for our multi billionaire owner to come out of hiding........
Alan Clarke
16   Posted 11/05/2009 at 11:43:52

Does this mean an Evertonian did not win the Euromillions last Friday? I was hopeful when we were linked with him one of us had managed to scoop the jackpot!
Joe Rourke
17   Posted 11/05/2009 at 11:38:42

Kevin Sparke...

Some of us live in hope when it comes to Miss Johansson!

Tevez has scored 4 in the league as opposed to Screech?s 8. Tevez has played 1000 mins less than Screech though. Here you are really comparing apples and oranges. Fellaini will always play if fit Tevez isn?t guaranteed pitch time...its the difference between having a big capable squad and not.
Kev Sparke
18   Posted 11/05/2009 at 11:49:02

Fair point gents... I?d been on the vino when I wrote that. I?d love to see a player of Tevez class in an Everton shirt... but not the world of shite that would come with him re his ?ownership and I?ve heard he?s going to the redshite in any case?

Scarlett Johansson. like Tevez and players of his movement, ball control and class, remain a wet dream.
James Bowman
19   Posted 11/05/2009 at 11:46:39

I agree, he?d be the perfect Everton striker. Not only the pace we desire but the workrate to go with it. I think he would be fine running the line on his own and I think the only reason he hasnt performed that great is down to the lack of a good run of 90 minute games.

Its the other side of the coin from the Manure perspective, they have the great players but because they dont get the chance they want to move on. Tevez may look at a team like Everton because he knows he will be in the team if he?s fit, unlike at the RS where he will have to sit out his turn. City and Arsenal have the funds but I would guess that if Fergie recommends anywhere to him, it will be Goodison.

I?m just praying for that investor to pop up soon, then we could really build on an already good squad. Wouldn?t it be great to be putting an offer in for Millner and Young... or Robinho and Ireland... see the tables turn for a change.

Paul Olsen
20   Posted 11/05/2009 at 13:42:36

I believe Tecez would be a dream signing for Moyes as he would fit right in as the type of forward Moyes loves.

In fact I would love it too, but then again. Dream on I suppose.
Albert Poissant
21   Posted 11/05/2009 at 14:32:18

"Wouldn?t it be great to be putting an offer in for Millner and Young... or Robinho and Ireland"

Why when I read this, and the mildly insane Tevez link, do I picture our club getting a billionaire investor and then behaving like some kind of old toilet cleaner lady who when her lotto numbers finally come up would not have even the first idea how to spend the money?

Gold plated bog brush anyone?
James Bowman
22   Posted 11/05/2009 at 16:24:08

The context I was getting at Albert was I?m fed up with reading the media hype about our players being linked with other clubs and trying to unsettle them. Which is why I picked on those particular players, just thought it would be good to see it going our way for a change. How many times have Lescott and Arteta been linked with moves away...

I think we could have safely added the Yak to that list as well if he hadn?t been injured. With investment that would surely stop and then it would be Everton getting linked with higher profile players, whether we get them or not.

Jalil Noor
23   Posted 11/05/2009 at 21:03:40

If Man U can loan him for 2 years and RS can loan Mascherano for 2 years for a few million... why can’t we?

True that be a few million less to buy players but a quality player is a quality player. He was awesome for West Ham but I guess the niggling point will be the 3rd ownership crap. Remember Fernandes?
Keith Glazzard
24   Posted 11/05/2009 at 21:53:55

If Tevez really did mention us in a list of possibilities (snubbing Villa in the process) the only conclusion we can draw from this is that he regards us as a serious possibility, in a footballing sense. Nothing more.

But he’s a very good player, and our playing and coaching staff must feel at least a tiny bit good about that.

But anyone who can put Tevez and Scarlett Johansson into the same thought should seek professional help.
Iain Love
25   Posted 12/05/2009 at 00:19:55

Tevez ? great player; want him, yes... get him? NO. END OF!