Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The Winslow

I live in London and so don't get to see the Blues play that often. Consequently, I was very excited to come up to Goodison for my first home game of the season on Saturday.

Enough has been said on these pages about the game itself, which was very disappointing. My comment is about the famous Winslow Pub. I was with an Evertonian mate from London, and we'd both read so much (mostly on these pages) about it as a special pre-match pub. So, in we went at around 2 pm. ...

And what a crap experience! I have never in my life waited so long to get a pint. Not even when England are playing in the World Cup and it's a sunny day. I started queueing at 2 and didn't get my hands on a cold Guinness until 2:30!! The bar was a scrum and the (hopelessly undermanned) staff, all of them in permanent scowl mode, had no concept of serving people in the order they got there ? it was a case of who shouted loudest.

I would just like to know from Goodison and Winslow regulars if it's always like this, or if I just found it on a bad day? One thing's for sure ? next time I'm at Goodison it will not be my pub of choice.
Mark Boulle, London     Posted 11/05/2009 at 11:40:48

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Sounds like the price of success and popularity. A number of pubs have closed in recent years which probably increases the congestion problem. You obviously need a pub with a lousy atmosphere that noboby goes to... should be able to get your pint in double-quick time!
John Maxwell
1   Posted 12/05/2009 at 03:07:15

Maybe we should have a vote on which is the best pre and post match pub ? The Winslow is a bit run down..

I used to go to the Royal Oak before each game, this had a good atmosphere and some nice Stella!

I've heard a lot about the Spellow ?
George McKane
2   Posted 12/05/2009 at 06:52:36

Mark - you can always come to The Dark House (The Barlow Arms) in Westminister Road - 5 minute walk to the ground - very friendly pub - good pint - good service - all away fans always welcome - Spurs fans there on Saturday - also after the match is always good - great staff - its really a great Blue pub - free Scouse and bread after the game - we met in there at 6.00am for the semi - sing songs - stories - a few real mad characters - argument and debate - I?ve been going for more than 25 years - see you there one day.
Steve Carter
3   Posted 12/05/2009 at 08:20:49

There at 6.00 am, George. Bet you’re ready for it by kickoff - ’specially on those night matches.
Tim Wardrop
4   Posted 12/05/2009 at 09:52:15

I?ll second the motion on the Royal Oak, but the only problem is it?s so fucking small!
Derek Turnbull
5   Posted 12/05/2009 at 10:39:37

The Winslow is always like that when you’re trying to get served I do like the place once served though!

Working in a bar should be about zonal marking - that’s the key!!
Mark Murphy
6   Posted 12/05/2009 at 11:16:10

Bring back the Netley!!!!

Shite decor, shocking toilets but great pre-match atmosphere and guaranteed service and elbow room!

Sadly missed!
Joeynkoo Ludden
7   Posted 12/05/2009 at 11:21:03

Mark, I used to head for The Spello, but you?ll have the same issues in there as you had at The Winslow. I?m making the assumption you came up from London on the train and therefore came into Lime Street?? As I do this journey, as I travel from Brum, I tend to get fully watered in any of the decent watering holes in the city centre first, then get to GP with about 4mins to spare! Plenty of time for a quick Chang before choking back the tears as Z-Cars pumps out and the Royal Blue shirts march out again...

To be fair to The Wislow / Spellow et al, home or away, every pub close to a footie ground on matchday is overcrowded, bar covered in various liquids, and getting served a lottery. I?ve become so pissed at this that I don?t do these sort of pubs anymore. For the Semi, I did Guildford town centre, and the Final I think I?ll do the Circle Line crawl and head to Wembley last second! That said, the service at Wembley, though costly, was great.
Tony Williams
8   Posted 12/05/2009 at 13:47:51

I have always went to Orrys (Now Players) before the game. It is always chocker but you can get served pretty quickly and then leave with 15 mins to go to the bookies then in the ground with 5 mins to spare.

I have only ever went the Winslow once, that was before going in the tent in the carpark at about 11:30am, place was empty and I got served straight away. Too busy near match time, I prefer to drink my new pint within half an hour of finishing my last one.
Franny Porter
9   Posted 12/05/2009 at 14:55:17

I always like to pop in to LA?s notorious night spot ?The Viper Rooms? before the game. If its too busy I?ll pop into London's world famous ?Met Bar?. Again, failing that, I go to St. Francis? church club next to the Netto. Always easy to get served and cheap ale.
Dave Roberts
10   Posted 12/05/2009 at 18:32:20

Pay a £1 and go upstairs to the supporters club in the Winslow. Not exactly waiter service but much easier getting served, good atmosphere and there’s a big screen projector for the early game if there is one.