Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Keep it secret but

Is Moyes deliberately keeping Vaughan in the shadows and will the lad be sprung on Chelsea a la Mike Treblecock in 1966?

Working from an old and unreliable memory, I believe that Mike was a small fee signing by Harry Catterick from Portsmouth who at that time was a lower division side.

That year, our 1st team could not hit a barn door with a banjo while in the reserves Mike was banging them in just for fun. In those days, reserve games were half price at Goodison with gates of approx 4,000. When I could not go to 1st team away games I went instead to the reserves.

There I saw this Mike fellow who everyone was raving about. What I found was a strong nuggety little chap who was physically more than capable of holding his own. His main weaknesses were lack of pace and poor first touch. His best attributes were guts, strength on the ball and an instinctive goal awareness.

He could be described as an early version of Cahill but minus Tim?s heading ability. Mike?s cup final goals brought him under scrutiny from opponents and no longer would the ?unknown factor? work to his advantage. Injury further spoilt his chance of success in the top division.

To my mind there is no doubt that a fit James Vaughan will play at Wembley and hopefully do a Treblecock over Chelsea. Wherever in the world Mike Treblecock now is, god bless you son and thanks.
Dick Fearon, West Australia     Posted 11/05/2009 at 21:10:11

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Isn't he down in your neck of the woods, cobber?
Brendan Woods
1   Posted 12/05/2009 at 04:21:34

Michael, are you sure not confusing Treblecock with Robbie Fowler? Oh wait, yes Mike’s last stop was in Aus.
MARTIN BERRY
2   Posted 12/05/2009 at 05:02:05

Vaughan is made for Wembley, but in the latter stages of the game when he undoubted energy and tenacity are the last thing that tired Chelsea legs will want.

There is no doubt that he will give the oposition something to think about, the knack will be when to play him.

Its good that we have the option.

Bring em on, COYB’s
Dave Wilson
3   Posted 12/05/2009 at 05:58:06

Chelsea know all about Vaughanny, He had his only really good game against them, he may well have a say in the final, but unknown quantity ? hardly.

Peter Pridgeon
4   Posted 12/05/2009 at 06:06:52

Nothing in the seven years Moyes has been in charge at Everton would indicate he will spring a surprise at Wembley.

I would love him to think he has this option up his sleeve but I doubt he will think about it or even use it...cart horse Jo and sick note will get the nod ahead of JV and we will all think of the wasted opportunity we had.

I really hope I am wrong and every person who shouts negative, koppite, bastard will be able to say I told you so.

Brian Hill
5   Posted 12/05/2009 at 06:23:35

Peter, surely you must know that Jo is cup-tied and cannot play?
antony matthews
6   Posted 12/05/2009 at 06:23:31

You are wrong Peter. Jo is cup tied. Come the final Moyes may have no option but to give the Vaughan a cameo when everyone else is feeling the effects of a long hard season. COYB’s
Peter Pridgeon
7   Posted 12/05/2009 at 06:47:04

OK, OK I should have known he was cup-tied.

I have been disappointed that Moyes has not given JV a go over the last few weeks, when sick note does not seem interested and we know that Jo will be going back to City. I hope he plays him for the next two games even one half to give him some match fitness.
Stevie Kay
8   Posted 12/05/2009 at 06:47:02

JV two seasons ago destroyed the Chelsea defense when we drew on the last day of the season at their place (we should have won but for another poor ref decission). I am sure Jon Terry will be having nightmares at the thought of having to come up against the young lad that put him on his arse in a 50/50 ball.

I am sure he will figure and after all the heartache and injuries the stage is set for one James Vaughan.
Bob McEvoy
9   Posted 12/05/2009 at 07:00:30

I met a bloke in a pub in Peacehaven, W Sussex, about 10 years ago who told me he?d played in the same team as MT in Australia. My memories of Mike was that he?d shoot on sight regardless which as it turned out in the 66 Cup Final was just as well.

I assume Moysey is keeping a watching brief on JV ready to unleash him on a tiring Chelski back 4 come Cup Final day.

Gavin Ramejkis
10   Posted 12/05/2009 at 07:33:38

Unleashing a player in this day and age with no game time under his belt is fucking useless. I said in another post he is chewing at the bit and must be wondering what he has to do to get a game over a pay as you play striker and a confidence shy loaner. Well come the final our only strikers will be Saha and Vaughan so would be a traversty if he doesnt get a game.

Trying not to be pedantic as well but its Mike Trebilcock not Treblecock and Dream, Believe, Achieve is a decent book telling his story.
John Cottee
11   Posted 12/05/2009 at 08:19:51

I hardly think Moyes is keeping Vaughan hidden as some secret plan.

More likely Moyes is just taking it very slow with him because Vaughan is so injury prone.

No point rushing him back only for another long-term injury to pop up. Wrap him in cotton wool and hope that a long rest over the summer will get him stronger for next season.

Although Vaughan is talented he?s become a joke with these constant injuries. Over the last three seasons he?s hardly contributed anything to the team.

For me Vaughan is on his last chance. One more long term injury and Moyes has to give up and sign another striker who is actually gonna play some games and score a few goals.
Dave Wilson
12   Posted 12/05/2009 at 09:00:33

Can we put to bed this Myth that JV "destroyed" "gave a torrid time to" or will cause John Terry "nightmares" and "sleepless nights".

I was there at the Bridge two seasons ago, we only scored one goal FFS, may have got another one at best. JV had a good game ? no more, no less.
Jay Wilson
13   Posted 12/05/2009 at 09:42:22

How many of us have seen JV in training? How many of us have seen Saha in training? The last thing Moyes wants is for JV to break down AGAIN as that could be the end of him. How many time can 1 kid have his knee reconstructed? If he plays he plays if he doesn’t he doesn’t. It is alright shouting for his inclusion in the stands or making up some imaginary rift between Moyes and JV (T Marsh). But only Moyes truly knows if JV is ready for real game time so I’m afraid we are just going to have to trust his judgment.
Tim Wardrop
14   Posted 12/05/2009 at 09:57:20

I mentioned this on another post, but I’ll stick it on here as well.....

Am I the only Evertonian alive who thinks that the reason Vaughan isn’t getting a game is possibly because he’s just not good enough? Everton fans seem to think this boy is going to be the messiah in the future, but everytime I’ve seen him play he strikes me as someone who’s not there yet. Yes, injuries have taken their toll and as a result he’s probably two years behind in his development, but when I see Vaughany I see a willing runner, with great work rate, a lot of power and strength and a good striker of the ball, but at the same time I see someone who lacks a lot of composure, has a poor touch, plays with his head down too much and struggles to look like a goal threat for long periods. The classic example of this was his full debut against Arsenal (1-0, AJ and the snow / hail). After the match people were raving about his performance, but I saw a bit of a headless chicken to be honest.

Don’t get me wrong - there’s no doubt the boy has some good raw materials and COULD become a very good striker. And if nothing else he has the tenacity, bravery and desire to score his share of goals. But he is miles off being a top player and is still very much all about potential. People are suggesting that he could scare the life out of Chelsea, but I think that Saha and Cahill are much more likely to grab a goal for us if they play up top.

Agree though with the comments that considering our injury problems, lack of options and Saha’s own fitness that Vaughany HAS to get on (as a sub) at Wembley.
Tony I'Anson
15   Posted 12/05/2009 at 10:24:49

Give JV half an hour to run his arse off and maybe grab a winner. At half time, I would also say this to whoever would be coming off (Saha maybe):

"Listen monsieur, this is your last 15 minutes at the utmost peak of your career. The chances are you won?t get to play in another FA Cup final, so go out there like your life depended on these next 15 minutes. Run the defence ragged until you can?t breath and your legs are screaming in agony. I want to see tears of pain for 15 minutes because my lad that?s all you?ve got left at Wembley. I want you to remember these next 15 minutes for the rest of your days. And if you do it right and score a goal, you will never have to buy a croissant and coffee in the City again".

I think if a player knows he?s only got a short time left, he can go hell for leather without holding back. Then on comes JV to grab more headlines.

Anyone think that is c?est une plan d?attacke. Or would I just be plain stupid for suggesting that DM would play genius tactical mind games on one of his own players.
Steven May
16   Posted 12/05/2009 at 10:27:48

Oh and Mike Trebilcock came from Plymouth Argyle and was originally from Cornwall. He went to Pompey after Everton having only played 11 games.
Steve Hogan
17   Posted 12/05/2009 at 10:38:38

For what it?s worth, on the James Vaughn debate.

I was speaking with one of the assistant physios at Everton recently, and he maintains that JV has had a number of serious operations on his knees over the last four years for someone of such an young age.

He (and it was only his opinion) and not that of the club, was that he doubted whether James would be able to stay relatively injury free for the remainder of his career, certainly with the demands of the Premier League.

Maybe DM knows this and is using him sparingly prior to the final? Clearly a 100% fit JV would always start over Jo and Saha?
Paul Olsen
18   Posted 12/05/2009 at 10:56:55

Tim Wardrop, completely agree with you!

Vaughan is at best an unproved quantity with some nice potential.

For the games I have seen him play, I have also seen the headless chicken act. Along with something that reminds me a bit of a nasty streak.

He has a strong physical presence and great attitude, but still unproven and injury ridden.

Would still love to see a 10-20 min cameo in the final from him.
Martin Berry
19   Posted 12/05/2009 at 11:12:01

We have two Premier League games left prior to the Cup Final. Should Vaughan get a run out in these matches, and I am certain he will, if only sparingly, then I think we will see that Moyes has been doing a carressing job here, to bring him in at the right time.

Wembley new and old, has been a place where the nerves have stopped many players from playing to their full potential. I don't think Vaughan will care less about that, or about the opposition, he maybe wayward at times, but then if something comes off, he could just be the hero that we have been looking for.

Don't forget lads, this boy has been out for most of the season, and is on his way back. If he stays injury free, and we hope he does for him and the club, then we will see exactly what type of player we have on our hands.

As I have said before, next year will be the defining season for Vaughan.
And we could have a "player" on our hands.
Timmy Mongiat
20   Posted 12/05/2009 at 12:05:34

This post and some of these comments are nothing short of hilarious. This isn't some fairytale ending, where Moyes out of the blue decides to chuck on the perennially injured youth protegee from the start who tears apart one of the best defences in the world. The fact is that anyone who truely watches football, which i am beginning to doubt from some of these comments, knows that whilst Vaughan works hard, he is completely short in all aspects of technical ability, at least two years behind in his development because of his numerous injuries.

Despite the negativity of some posts re Moyes, Moyes knows what his doing, he watches them in training and knows his squad better than any of you. If Saha is fit and Vaughan is fit, then Saha will Obviously start unless Moyes opts for Fellaini and Cahill in the forward positions which would make a lot more sense than chucking Vaughan in.

Maybe in a couple of seasons after Vaughan has played more games and if he remains injury-free and catches up in terms of his technical development then maybe this discussion wouldn't be so unrealistic. However, in the here and now, there is no way that Moyes will start with Vaughan, an unexperienced 20-year-old who is not match fit, who ? despite the hyperbole ? is simply not good enough yet.

Ciaran MacGiollaEoin
21   Posted 12/05/2009 at 12:49:58

Tim, You are not alone... JV is an average player. Absence makes the heart grow fonder ? as they say in knitting circles.

But it?ll not be long before familiarity breeds contempt ? as they say in football watching circles.
Ciaran MacGiollaEoin
22   Posted 12/05/2009 at 12:49:58

Tim,

You are not alone.

JV is an average player. Absence makes the heart grow fonder - as they say in knitting circles.

But it’ll not be long before familiarity breeds contempt - as they say in football watching circles.
David Stewart
23   Posted 12/05/2009 at 14:08:06

Dick,
Just to let you know that Mike lives in Newcastle, New South Wales.
Aside from that, I have always pronounced his name as it is spelled Treblecock but if my memory serves me right, Kenneth Wolstenholme in the1966 cup final used to pronounce him name as Trebilco. Who was right?

Alan McGuffog
24   Posted 12/05/2009 at 16:35:19

Re: the correct pronunciation of Trebilcock's name. He was always referred to as "six balls" as I remember. Then again... if you can remember the sixties, you probably weren?t there.
Ray Said
25   Posted 12/05/2009 at 16:39:43

Seems reasonable to me for Moyes to hold back from playing Vaughan prior to the final. Picture the reaction on Toffeeweb if Moyes plays him the game before the final and JV gets crocked, Moyes will get a right bollocking here. Best to hold JV back and have him as an attacking option from the bench.

I would also play almost anyone ahead of Saha based on his play over the last few appearances ? Cahill up front battling that crying prick Terry and Fellaini attacking the box late with Castillo marking Lampard out of the game.

To me, the key is stopping Cole attacking the space vacated by Osman when he drifts inside... I would play Gosling just ahead of Hibbert down the right side and leave Osman on the bench ? but we all know that Ossie will play. COYB!

Tony I'Anson
26   Posted 12/05/2009 at 19:00:10

Also Sorry to go off topic but, also what about mine in relation to getting rid of the Away Goals rule? (written after poor old Chelsea got knocked out by this)?

Tony, This is an Everton website. If it is not about Everton, or nothighly relevant to Everton, chances are it won't get posted. If it is predominantly about another team (Chelsea, Newcastle and Liverpool being the current favourites) it will definitely not be published. Sorry. ? The Editor

Martin Berry
27   Posted 12/05/2009 at 20:19:04

James Vaughan is better coming off the bench for me, as an impact player. By the way, I?m a different Martin Berry than on previous posts.

Perhaps you guys could add your middle initials? ? The Editor.

Kiern Moran
28   Posted 12/05/2009 at 21:03:06

Call me mad but I?m sure we will bring Vaughan on for the last fifteen when we are two-nill up, Chelsea are stretched and his goal and third will be the icing on the cake. Hang on, I might have dreamt that.

Generally I agree with the people saying that Moyes is easing Vaughan back in, he has never been a manager who has not placed faith in the simple philosophy that if your good enough your old enough. Rodwell for example is increasingly looking a class act.

James Boden
29   Posted 12/05/2009 at 21:37:40

I for one would feel more confident with Vaughan starting the final than Saha at this current moment in time. Saha couldn?t give a fuck cause he knows his place is secure... Well, I say shift or you lose your final place. And for anyone saying that he is walking a tight-rope before the final ? he hardly moved his backside in the semi. Wembley is where legends are made and I believe Vaughan has got it.
Harj Badial
30   Posted 12/05/2009 at 23:35:42

You heard it here first ! the line will be as follows:

Howard
Hibbert
Yobo
Lescott
Baines
Neville
Pienaar
Cahill
Osman
Fellaini
Saha

with Vaughan, Rodwell, Gosling, Jacobsen, Nash, Baxter, Van der Meyde.

As for Saha not shifting ? I think it's because he isn't match-fit and should be by the final... so I expect him to start. He is by far the best finisher we have, if fit.
Timmy Mongiat
31   Posted 13/05/2009 at 00:29:16

We can't forget that Saha has scored some important goals for us, winners against Fulham, West Ham and in the FA Cup and if his fit he could be the difference for us. And I'm sorry, a fit Saha and a fit Vaughan and it's Louis all the way.

Got to agree with the above team although I suppose there is a chance that Moyes will go with Fellaini and Cahill in the attacking positions, especially if Louis is still not 100%. (And I wouldn't be too annoyed if he did as it would help us in midfield and give two players who score brilliantly from midfield license to attack.)

John Roberts
32   Posted 13/05/2009 at 00:46:33

Just a question regarding Reserve games that Dick mentioned. When I was a very young lad of around 9 or 10 years of age in the early 70s and living in Anfield (have lived in Oz since 1973), my group of friends (both Everton and Liverpool supporters) used to go to the Reserve games at Goodison and Anfield while the big game was going on across the park. Used to cost a couple of bob to get in and we had a great time ? all unsupervised of course! Gave us a bit of freedom from the oldies and we had a great time running rampant around both stadiums.

My question is; when did they stop holding Reserve games at both stadiums?
Karl Sega
33   Posted 13/05/2009 at 07:24:54

JV is an impact player and, being injury prone, I think DM is just holding him back. I won't be suprised if JV plays a bit in the last 2 league matches to get him much hungrier.

My starting 11 for the final will be Howard, Lescott, Yobo, Baines, Hibbert, Neville, Rodwell, Pienaar, Osman, Cahill and Fellaini. Yes... no strikers ? but we have played well in this formation before.

The game plan I believe is to choke the midfield and counter. Plus, we don?t feed our strikers well so I guess this is the best option and go for extra time. Then... JV and Gosling will be unleashed with Fella and Osman dropping out. Sounds familiar???

I don?t care if we lose the cup but I hope the boys do go down with Guns Blazing! COYB!!!!!

Tony I'Anson
34   Posted 13/05/2009 at 08:49:05

Easy tiger. It was absolutely to do with Everton. If there was no away goals rule, Chelsea could have got to the CL final which is 3 days before the FA Cup final. Maybe it will get posted if we get knocked out of the Europa Cup next year with the away goals rule which I still think is a crap (rule not the competition), and I thought the issue merited discussion given that EVERTON are in Europe again.
Tom Bowers
35   Posted 13/05/2009 at 11:25:37

Nothing much is going to change. Unless Saha is less than 100% he won?t start at Wembley. Chances are he will start with Fellaini alongside and JV will sub in the second half. We will play a tight midfield and the game will not be a spectacle. They have the bigger guns and we have to disarm them slowly. Unfortunately, much like the semi-final, we will hope to snatch one goal or take it to pens.
Alex Robinson
36   Posted 14/05/2009 at 00:15:34

Sorry, gotta disagree with the Vaughan detractors above. On form, fit, and given a ball in front of him, he?ll scare Terry and Co shitless The issue is whether he?ll be fit. If so, and if we?re still in it 20-30 mins to go, let him rip.

I still tink Piennaar will be the decisive factor. If he and Baines are allowed to link up down the left flank, we?ve got a chance. If not, it?s gonna be backs to the wall (a la 1995), and as much as I appreciate Yobo?s talents, he?s just not as solid as Jags. Hope I?m wrong!

Ciaran MacGiollaEoin
37   Posted 14/05/2009 at 11:45:26

Yobo is as solid as Jags defensively... and faster.

Jags communicates more, and Yobo hoofs it less. There?s not much in it for me.
Ray Kelly
38   Posted 14/05/2009 at 14:52:52

Unfortunately, due to lack of numbers, Saha will almost certainly start in the Cup Final. It's a shame because he is so lazy and disinterested and looks like he hasn?t kicked a ball all season. Vaughan just doesn?t appear fit enough yet to start any game but one thing's for sure: if he gets on the park then he?ll run himself into the ground for the cause. If we can pull this one off with such a small squad and so many injuries it will be our greatest ever FA Cup triumph.
Adrian Linde
39   Posted 14/05/2009 at 23:42:17

FFS - am sure Chelsea are quaking in their boots at the thought of JV... Not.

Let's be honest here ? we won?t be winning the cup unless they have an unusually bad day and we have a lot of luck and an unusually good day.

Very optimistically, we might hold them out for pens... but even then, I prefer their goalie and kickers by a mile.

I know we have to support and believe, but I?ve hedged my bets and put a monkey on Chelsea winning.