Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Too much time on my hands...

Next Sunday we visit Fulham, whilst Newcastle play Villa. Now, I'd never openly wish for an Everton defeat or a Villa victory, but if those two results did happen, those darlings of the London-centric media, Tottenham, would miss out on European football and we'd finish sixth. The EURO league may have its critics, but Spurs and their fans are desperate to be in there.

Also, does anyone remember back in the day when Keegan was first in charge of Newcastle and Sir John Hall proclaimed that they had replaced Everton as part of the Big Six? Well, if results don't go their way, this "giant" of English football will be relegated from the top tier next weekend.

Despite all their money and the merry-go-round of managers, the nearest they ever got to silverware was the year that Keegan's charges conspired to throw away a lead over Man Utd. Received wisdom is that Newcastle's fans are supposely the best in the country, but as Saturday illustrated, they're only the most fickle. As soon as the game went against them, they left the stadium in droves, despite playing against a defence who are notoriously porous on the road.

I'm fed up to the eye teeth by Everton always being overlooked before the start of a season. I know I shouldn't, but I am. Yes we don't have the resources of those around us, but why Tottenham and Newcastle (along with Villa) are always tipped to be the ones to make an impact in the upper echelons of the Premier League while the Blues are dismissed alongside the likes of West Ham and Fulham is beyond me. Sure, O'Neill has built a decent side full of homegrown players, but Newcastle and Spurs?????

Anyway, I'd really like Everton to finish the season with a victory, but the important thing is to keep everyone fit for the showdown on May 30th. At the end of the day, if we lose and Villa win, we'd still stick it to Newcastle and Tottenham. Oh and we'd be in Europe and the FA Cup Final. Sounds like a "win win" situation to me. There's nowt wrong with that if you ask me.

Come on you Blues :)
Mark Wynne, Bury St Edmunds     Posted 17/05/2009 at 08:57:12

Comments

John Doolan
1   Posted 17/05/2009 at 14:57:44

Mark I?m with you. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see the geordies suffer the ultimate humilation. In my book they run the RS a close second in terms of being easy to hate ? roll on next Sunday!
Chris Matty
2   Posted 17/05/2009 at 15:28:32

Mark I have had a similar dilemma about next week. My ideal scenario is for us and Villa to both win, and Spurs to lose. Elsewhere I had written about my contempt for the apparent glamourising of Spurs and especially Newcastle beyond any history and record of achievement, and certainly in comparison to any positive coverage we received (apart from patronsiing rubbish about limited budgets and over-achievement.)

But there is an economic basis too for my wishes that Spurs don’t get Europe and Newcastle go down. They are our rivals currently in the second tier challenging the Rich 4, along with City - who who have billions anyway, and Villa who are already in Europe and with a rich owner also.

Anything that can set us apart from Spurs and Newcastle will give us an advantage in attracting new players, winning sponsorship deals, or possibly getting more media attention. Euro qualification is a good way of doing this as it gives a status and a stature based on success. And obviously relegation puts the Kibosh on Newcastle’s status.

But the most satisfying reason will be to stick it once again to those know-all-know-nothing media pundits who have given groundless adulation to Newcastle and their supposed fantistic fans for so long.
Andy Callen
3   Posted 17/05/2009 at 15:40:29

Rather then hoping to see an Everton defeat, I will be hoping for a Villa victory, followed by a 1-0 (Saha the goal scorer) win over Fulham? and a win for the RS ensuring Everton 5th for the 2nd season in a row, Tottenham missing out on Europe, Fulham actually getting European football (could be funny), and Newcastle going down - Good times NSNO
Bob Turner
4   Posted 17/05/2009 at 15:43:30

How about we win, Villa win, and the RS draw with Tottenham? We keep the momentum going, Tottenham don’t qualify and Newcastle go down. Now that’s a good Sunday!
Tom Edwards
5   Posted 17/05/2009 at 16:06:31

I have always been puzzled by the Barcodes having the ’everybody’s 2nd favourite club’ label. I hate the loudmouthed, underachieving arseholes and have several friends, from various parts of the country, that hate them too. I can’t think of another club that is so big in the minds of it’s supporters.
Ben Jones
6   Posted 17/05/2009 at 16:11:46

Just what I was thinking Bob, a win for us and win for Villa ensures Newcastle go down and we get fifth.... brilliant!!!
Sean McNally
7   Posted 17/05/2009 at 16:21:50

Is anyone having trouble with eticketing? My page is saying "high volume activity" so therefore no login.
Dave Wilson
8   Posted 17/05/2009 at 16:16:39

What a vindictive bunch you are. Just because 52,000 Geordies rose to applaud Nolan when he got his marching orders for "that" tackle. I would hate to see the Geordies lose to Villa and go down. I?d much rather they won, only to find out that Hull had beaten a 3rd string Man Utd side.
Ian McDowell
9   Posted 17/05/2009 at 16:33:32

I would love to see those Geordies go down.
John Regan
10   Posted 17/05/2009 at 16:40:10

Living in north London and having too many Spurs mates, I can tell you that they?re NOT that bothered about Europe. They want to progress in the league and see Europe as a dangerous distraction with the number of games that have to be played.

Luckily, we have a much bigger squad so don?t need to worry... do we???

Jay Harris
11   Posted 17/05/2009 at 18:06:58

I think I?m right in saying if Villa only draw and we lose we still retain 5th because of our superior GD.

If Hull can get at leat a point against Man Utd we?ll all be happy.
Si Kirwan
12   Posted 17/05/2009 at 18:32:20

Nobody hates Newcastle more than me, they have always seemed to think they?re a big club and better than teams like Everton. The media do their best to support them by lavishing underserved praise on their "best fans in the world". They make me sick. Good riddance!
Jonathan Tasker
13   Posted 17/05/2009 at 18:51:47

Chelsea losing to Barca and the Geordies going down would be a great double.
Danny Broderick
14   Posted 17/05/2009 at 19:06:12

You lot wanna get out more. Why can’t you just be Everton fans without being bitter to pretty much everyone else?
Nick Entwistle
15   Posted 17/05/2009 at 19:33:06

Because it's football, Danny... and with love comes hate. Newcastle are a dour team and any team treading water for so long can happily bugger off... I?d start on their fans next but there?s a good programme on TV.
Kiern Moran
16   Posted 17/05/2009 at 21:05:47

Talking of the big drop, Moyes picked up Phil Jagielka & Leighton Baines from relegated sides; who do we fancy from this years crop?
Billy Brad
17   Posted 17/05/2009 at 21:21:07

Tuncay & Downing
Dave Williams
18   Posted 17/05/2009 at 21:19:31

Si Kirwan, I feel I must take issue with you. I agree with nearly all your points however there is no way you can hate them more than me. We will do Fulham this week so a Villa victory will be cool. coyb.
Rob Wilkinson
19   Posted 17/05/2009 at 21:27:28

Gotta point this out boyz, you?ve overlooked the world of difference between 5th and 6th. If we finish 6th we get £1 million less money and we have to play qualification games for Europa meaning that the team may well burn out around Xmas and we may not even reach the tournament ?league? stages!!! By the way, I hate Villa with a passion!
Mike Oates
20   Posted 17/05/2009 at 22:20:42

I like John Regan above live in the South and believe you me the majority of Spurs lads I know do NOT want Spurs to qualify for the Europa Cup ? 17 games if you get to the final!!!!

If you remember both Villa and Spurs this year had to put out their reserve sides in the latter stages of the Uefa Cup to keep their eyes purely focused on their Premier League status (Top 4 , Relegation).

To be perfectly honest, I love the night cup games and I?m sure it gives the players invaluable experience but will we have a sizable squad to go for a Top 4 place and compete in the Europa squad? I think we need at least another 2-3 quality players in order to allow us to compete in all competitions next year.
Billy Brad
21   Posted 17/05/2009 at 23:18:14

Mike we will need at least 6 players if we are going to compete on all fronts.
Andy Crooks
22   Posted 18/05/2009 at 00:08:13

Billy, we won?t be competing on all fronts. The FA Cup won?t matter, we?ll do it this season. Carling Cup doesn?t seem to ever have mattered. So, we concentrate on winning the Europa League and qualifying for the Champions League. It can be done with an aggregate increase of two new players. Yes!
John Maxwell
23   Posted 18/05/2009 at 00:11:33

Newcastle being relegated will be one of the funniest things I've seen in ages...

With all their stars, the money they've spent, the managers they've sacked, it's laughable.

Everton could've gone this way, signing big names with big salaries and none of them have performed... I would love to see their wage bill. The list of names is endless and they have signed some quality players, but where has it all gone wrong?

Why have these players turned so shit? Nolan, Owen, Duff, Barton, Smith, Viduka are all decent players in my eye and sure would make our squad a lot healthier (ok maybe not Joey Barton).

I remember them saying that "Moyes" wasnt big enough to manage them, now look where they are.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Jason Broome
24   Posted 18/05/2009 at 02:47:00

?and I thought I was the only one!

A week on Monday Big Sam will be sitting in his Y-fronts laughing in a bowl of cornflakes.

Charlton have made room and vacated their spot. I hope they fill it.
Simon Jones
25   Posted 18/05/2009 at 07:52:28

You are contemplating us losing as you are bothered about another team? Are you sick? I never want us to lose. Who cares about Spurs? If they are so-called "media darlings" then why are you bothered?

Remember we are the only club in recent seasons to break the "Big Four." For all the noise about Spurs, Villa and probably Man City, where are they right now? Yep, lower in the league than us. Nuff said.

Mark Murphy
26   Posted 18/05/2009 at 09:28:02

I don't give a monkey's about any other team bar Everton so in the interests of MY club I want us to beat Fulham and Newcastle to beat Villa just to be sure. I?d like Spurs to beat the RS (my opening sentence wasn't strictly true) as I have too many memories of those gloating arrogant shites from the seventies.

From my travels and experience of other fans Spurs are no better nor worse than Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle, Wolves, Brum, etc etc. I used to quite respect Villa fans but recently they have turned into cocks as well! Some times we over do our bitter blues tag ? other clubs (apart from THAT shower!) shouldn't matter!

Martin Berry
27   Posted 18/05/2009 at 10:00:02

I can?t believe so many people hate NUFC, I thought it was just me!!! They are completely arrogant and have this opinion that they are part of the top 5. They haven?t won a fucking thing in my lifetime!!!
Iain Love
28   Posted 18/05/2009 at 09:48:02

The teams we will be competing against in the summer sales will be the likes of Villa, Spurs, Newcastle, so if Newcastle get relegated, that's one less competitor; if Spurs miss out on Europe that drops their stock a bit; if Villa finish below us that helps us.

What annoys me is when we want a player but they go elsewhere usually for the money because there?s no other reason. Scott Parker was coming to us before he went to the geordies, he would have been a great signing and alongside him helping us we would have helped him in his international career, Jags, Lescott, Baines are testament to that. (If we bought Glen Johnson that could be Englands back 4...)

Jimmy Hacking
29   Posted 18/05/2009 at 10:49:35

The truly tragic fact concerning Newcastle (yes I am your typical bitter blue) is that next season, playing in the championship, they will STILL get far more press attention than little old Everton, with four pages of the sport section devoted to a 0-0 result against Blackpool.
Matthew Mackey
30   Posted 18/05/2009 at 10:25:57

Mark, I can understand where you are coming from but there is another side to the coin.

You see, as much as I think (like you) that Newcastle area bunch of idiots who don?t know how to run a football club, and as much as their fans are fickle and leave the ground before the end of the game (rats leaving a sinking ship syndrome), and as much as the comment made by them that they have replaced Everton as one of the bug six, I find them pretty harmless creatures and actually quite amusing. They are the butt of most Premier League jokes because quite honestly that?s exactly what they are ? a harmless joke who provide most fans with a continuous flow of humour.

The other side of the coin is this. I live in the West Midlands and for more years than I would like to admit to, I have had to put up with the endless dribble and crap that comes out of the average Villa fans mouth. Honestly, you just can?t believe some of the shite they come out with especially at the start of this season and half way through when they were enacting the part of the Hare in the children?s story. Martin O?Neil this and Martin O?Neil that and ?Oh Martin you are the best ? lick my arse! That is, before they came to Goodison for the FA Cup game, got a dam good spanking and then sent packing down the M6 with their tail between their legs. (I rekindled my relationship with God that day and have not looked back!)

The point I am making here is that Newcastle are humorous and harmless, but Villa are severely irritating and have been living in fantasy cookoo land since MON came to save them.

You talk about fickle Newcastle fans ? I have not witnessed fans more fickle than Villas. This weekend, after losing 5th place to us and failing to win at Boro, there is disgruntled talk in the pubs how MON doesn?t know what he?s doing, playing players out of position, bla bla bla ? all the things that point to the fact that MONs ?glory? days at the Villa have reached as high as they will go.

Mark my words, the talk around these parts is that if MON doesn?t deliver next season then he?ll be out on his arse. You see, what goes round, comes round.

One final final point: as I write this, I am in the office surrounded by disgruntled Villas fans. I have the latest copy of the ?Evertonian? on my desk for everyone to see and do you know what? I love it! I just love it because finishing above the Villa for me is just as good as winning the FA Cup!

COYBs!!!!!!!!

John Crook
31   Posted 18/05/2009 at 11:00:54

Good shout Mark! Just watching SkySports news this morning and We are 250/1 to win the league next season. Guess who is has shorter odds. City (50/1) Spurs (100/1) and even Villa (150/1).

No one in the national media takes us seriously. We are the best team outside the top 4 even without Arteta Jagielka and Yakubu not including this summers new signings.

Michael Owen Joao Mouthinho Alex Smithies Joe Ledley and John Oshea in. Out are Turner VDM Anichebe and Castillio. COYB!!!!
Matthew Mackey
32   Posted 18/05/2009 at 11:11:07

Some of you have commented upon how we will "do" Fulham next weekend and so we want Villa to beat Newcastle and put the barcodes down. Well, correct me if I am wrong somebody, but I think we haven?t beaten Fulham at Craven Cottage in a league match since 1948! (rather a long time somewhat).

Not wanting to be too pessimistic, but there is more chance of us losing next weekend than winning, especially when you think of (a) that statistic, (b) Fulham?s excellent home record this season and (c) we?re not going to go flat out in this one when there?s a cup final to play in the week after.

Therefore, to get the best of all worlds, we have to hope the Geordies draw with Villa and somehow Hull City get a draw against the Mancs. This would guarantee us 5th place (better goal difference than Villa), it would put Newcastle in the Championship and Spurs would fail to qualify for Europe.

Everybody's happy!!!

Garry Martin
33   Posted 18/05/2009 at 11:33:57

This is it !! - Barcodes ("the great pretenders") are going down & good riddance.

COYB
Andrew Keatley
34   Posted 18/05/2009 at 10:07:22

Minor point I know but (in reference to the earlier post) Leighton Baines was not picked up from a relegated side - Wigan stayed up on the last day that year thanks to Rhino’s penalty that sent Sheffield United down and kept Wigan up.
Tony Cunningham
35   Posted 18/05/2009 at 12:14:03

Most Spurs fans that I know (I live in London) actually don’t want Spurs to qualify for the UEFA Cup so they can spend 38 games concentrating on the league and push us all the way. None of them certainly seem to be desperate to get a place!
Norman Merrill
36   Posted 18/05/2009 at 12:47:34

Matthew, We last won in the league at Craven Cottage in 1966. Just so you can alter your records.
Matthew Mackey
37   Posted 18/05/2009 at 13:05:04

Norman, Thanks for the correction. I was hoping someone would correct me on that Fulham statistic because it was a bit embarrassing! I hope you get my point though that it may be more difficult than a lot of us think to get a victory next weekend at Craven Cottage. bearing in mind Fulham?s very good home record and our lack of wins there.
Nick Dommett
38   Posted 18/05/2009 at 13:49:03

Interesting question asked about who from the relegated teams we should go for. I’d go for morrison (WB), Tuncay and Wheater (’boro), Martins (Newcastle).

If Hull went down maybe Myhill as a back-up but that’s it: Hull are the ultimate rejects club.
Chris Mason
39   Posted 18/05/2009 at 15:56:21

How dare all of you!! Newcastle fans wear black and white to every match and we even take our shirts off in the middle of winter! Surely that make them the best fans in the world, doesn?t it? Oh and they WILL win the Premier League next season