Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Tiger Tim's Best Ever Goal

Scored a few good goals has our Tim and some important ones:

• Goals which set the tone of matches...
  • Goals which finish matches off ? Villa in the cup this year for example.
  • Goals which secure vital draws ? overhead kick at Stamford Bridge for example.
  • Goals which sneak important wins ? Luton away in the League Cup for example.
But there is one goal which could prove to be very, very sweet. It was scored on Monday 19th January 2009 and currently has the potential to be my favourite, ever, ever Tim Cahill goal. The reason being... it's the one goal which will hopefully mean the difference between the Liverpool obtaining their beloved holy grail of winning the title this year or not from the Mancs.

Look at it this way... Mancs put out weakened team against Hull next Sunday with the Barca match in mind. Hull fighting for their survival get at least a draw. So the Mancs move to 88 points and a goal diff of 43. Liverpool pox a 1-0 win against Spurs with a penalty obtained via another Gerrard dive. They end up with 86 points and a goal diff 49. Sweet, cos what it means is that Our Tim's 87th minute equalizer at Anfield in January denied the Liverpool the 2 points which would have meant them winning teh Premier League on goal difference.

Not only does Tim score in derbies, he scores big important goals! Indulge me please and let's hope he pops another important one in on 30th. Come on you Blues.
Steve Green, Southampton     Posted 17/05/2009 at 12:20:17

Comments

Michael Kenrick
"One goal which will hopefully mean the difference between the Liverpool obtaining their beloved holy grail of winning the title this year or not from the Mancs.

Er... what parallel reality are you living in? Liverpool failed already. Man Utd ARE Premier League Champions!!!

My God, I hate Liverpool like the rest of us but you have to be pretty twisted to actually construct something like that after the fact... but before the last games of the season have even happened, and justify it in terms of something that has already happened, if you know what I mean.

And then there is the little case of the way the league operates. It's on accumulated results over the entire season. Ifs and buts related to one game... sorry, that's not how it works.

Danny Broderick
1   Posted 17/05/2009 at 19:08:26

What an idiot! Why are you even bothered about what they do? I just don’t get that mentality where your favourite memory of a player’s goal is not what it does for us, but what it does to another team...
Nick Entwistle
2   Posted 17/05/2009 at 19:27:38

Don’t be too harsh on the man... I liked that goal too!
Its one of those pointless but worthy stats to take out if an RS starts getting all self important in the pub...

Favourite Cahill goal? Against Japan in the world cup... school boys own...
Mark Jones
3   Posted 17/05/2009 at 19:49:03

Not really bothered about how the redshite go on but at least they can celebrate Norway winning the Eurovision Song Contest.
Peter Roberts
4   Posted 17/05/2009 at 19:49:20

As much as I’m in agreement with the responses in that I would look back at home draws with the likes of Stoke and Hull as the real reason Liverpool lost the title to United, I would point out that if you looked at it in the light of the OP, Lee Carsley’s derby winner in 2004 proved the difference between 4th and 5th that year, as without that goal Liverpool would have beaten us on GD with 59 points.
Sean Patton
5   Posted 17/05/2009 at 19:24:42

There are so many to choose from each for different reasons. The first goal was great a trademark header against Man City away which won us the game and Steve " Gordon " Bennett sent him off for removing his shirt. I was at the game and consider myself priveleged to see the birth of an Everton hero which Cahill undoubtedly is.

The overhead kick at Chelsea was a brilliant piece of invention and grabbed a last gasp equaliser.

I think the best is yet to come so I will pick his winning goal in the Cup Final as my favourite.
Tony Williams
6   Posted 17/05/2009 at 20:28:02

One of my favourites, not really his best was his goal against the Skunks in the season we finished 4th, that goal sealed 4th for us. A drop of the shoulder and blasted into the net. One of my best memories of him to date.
Keith Glazzard
7   Posted 17/05/2009 at 20:36:34

Steve sets out one big problem here in his post - ’best ever goal’ can mean so many different things.

One very important thing that Tim does for us is to raise the profile of the club. For all the right reasons, he makes the media take notice of us. Comments like ’the best header of the ball in the PL’ and ’you daren’t leave him alone in the box’ on MotD have become increasingly common. He is recognised as a seriously good player, pleased and proud to play for a seriously good club.

The more we have of this the more likely Moyes has a chance of getting the players he would like to sign, so along these lines, ’best’ might be

- the first goal, and then the second, ever scored by Australia in the World Cup finals

and

- the fabulous (by any body’s standards) overhead against CFC, which will have been seen across the world.

Favourite goal? Now, that’s another matter.
Tom Bowers
8   Posted 17/05/2009 at 21:17:22

I am sure the Steve is aware of the fact that Manure have won the title but is hypothezysing if Liverpool had beaten Everton in January the the title may still be up for grabs going in to the last weekend. However, anyone could drive themselves crazy trying to relate all the "ands", "buts", "what ifs" & "maybes". We could say for instance that Everton could have 5th place now if Villa hadn?t equalised against Boro yesterday which would enable DM to rest quite a few players next week against Fulham.
Jason Broome
9   Posted 17/05/2009 at 21:22:27

Wait a minute, guys, I think you're being a little bit harsh.

Steve is saying had Cahill not scored Liverpool would still be in the race with 85 points and an open top bus ride around Goodison Park would still be on the cards.

The only team I want to see doing that this season is ours. Good point, Steve!

Adam Cunliffe
10   Posted 17/05/2009 at 21:58:10

I think Steve is right. No one wants to see the shite parading a trophy round the streets of a city in which there are more blues than reds.

Regarding Cahill's best goals... for quality of goal I would have to say the over-head kick vs Chelsea, but one that really sticks in my memory was the one against Sunderland a few years back. I think we hadn't won in 8 games and in the last minute Tim pops up with a great headed goal.

Tim Cahill is gunna score the winner at Wembley, I can feel it in my bones. COYB
Keith Glazzard
11   Posted 17/05/2009 at 22:16:26

Agreed - as well as being very good for us, that goal can also be seen as having fucked up their season. So much the better.

As we?re speaking of the RS, the ever gracious FSW summed it all up on R5 today - MUFC beat them because they have more money. Clearly, a summer spend of £45m and a squad of 62 is inadequate ? for this particular inadequate, in any case.
Dick Fearon
12   Posted 18/05/2009 at 03:10:21

Mark Jones, Norway winning the Euro song contest, hee, hee I like that.
Michael Tracey
13   Posted 18/05/2009 at 03:35:33

I agree with Nick. Cahill's goal against Japan to make it 1-all at the 06 World Cup. Then just a couple of minutes later he scored a second.
Dave Roberts
14   Posted 18/05/2009 at 09:36:48

It could be looked at another way!

If Pip had not made that tackle on Ronaldo and galvanised the whole team to salvage a point from a game that seemed to be lost, Manure may have had two extra points and could have settled the league last week rather than this.

Or.....

If Chelsea had been able to get a victory against us home or away, it might have been a 3 horse race for the title! So we fucked up their season too!

And now we are going to fuck it up even more!!
Dave Roberts
15   Posted 18/05/2009 at 09:56:13

Further to Keith?s point above, Benitez?s refusal to congratulate Ferguson because of things he ?had heard? during the season just confirms to me that the man is a graceless moron who suffers from gross immaturity.

It?s not that it bothers me particularly but the man is an embarrasment to Liverpool Football Club... not that they would see it that way of course... they are too much up their own backsides.
Tim Wardrop
16   Posted 18/05/2009 at 13:47:03

My favourite goal of his was against Sunderland in the 7-0 game last year when he jinked inside a defender and drilled it home. Quality.

Cahill really is the one player we have who you just "feel" will score and perform on the big stage. Arteta runs him close and the Yak has his moments, but Cahill?s timing with important goals and contributions is impeccable. That?s why I was so shocked he missed his pen in the semi final. For someone who technically is not as good quality as some of our midfielders (Arteta, Pienaar, Fellaini.... maybe even Osman) he is still arguably first name on the teamsheet every time.
Tom Bowers
17   Posted 17/05/2009 at 20:04:45

Benitez should eat his heart out because he is crying he cannot compete with Manure on a financial level and yet how much did he shell out for Kuyt, Torres and Keane just to name a few? The man is a bad sport and full of sour grapes. Put him in charge of WBA and see how good he really is.

I criticise DM but he is twice the man and manager Benitez is. I don't see any reason that David Moyes shouldn't be the Premier League Manager of the Year. Finishing 5th or 6th and reaching the Cup Final is a wonderful achievement with the very limited budget and the long-term injuries to key players...

Dave Roberts
18   Posted 18/05/2009 at 16:08:44

Tom Bowers

I think you’re being a bit unfair to WBA there Tom! While I know they are going down they have stuck to their principles and tried to play football. For that I feel sorry for them considering the dross which may be staying up! But I respect them nonetheless.

I wouldn’t want to inflict Benitez on them. They would have abandoned their principles long ago. At least they go down with the respect of the ’Football Family’. I hope they come back up next year but with a little more nous in defence.