Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Top Scorer

Who do you think will finish the season as Everton's top scorer?

Candidates:

Cahill - 9
Fellaini - 9
Saha - 7

I think Cahill will get 10 for the season and just pip Fellaini for it.
Brett Bradshaw, Northampton     Posted 18/05/2009 at 09:16:52

Comments

Anthony Hawkins
1   Posted 18/05/2009 at 14:14:06

Cahill is almost certain to clinch the top scorer title.

I don’t know whether to take those stats as a positive view on our strong midfield or sad endictment of our strike force.

Yes, the strikers have been out injured for most of the season and the midfield has been carrying the team however I would have anticipated at least a challenge from one of the other forwards or a couple more else where.

Let’s not take away from Cahill or Fellaini who both have done a grand job for the team this season!!
Chris Briddon
2   Posted 18/05/2009 at 14:19:56

Anthony, I think you are being a bit unfair there.

Saha has scored 7 in a fairly limited number of games.

Jo has scored 5 but only been here since January.

Yak had scored 3 but was out in September(?)

Added to the fact that Arteta has scored 7 but has been missing the last few months, those statistics don’t really tell the full story.
Nick Entwistle
3   Posted 18/05/2009 at 15:01:30

I think Jo has played his last game for the club... cheers Jo.
Ciarán MacGiollaEoin
4   Posted 18/05/2009 at 15:08:59

With Cahill taking up a more central (and frankly unsuited) role... I?d say it?s more likely that Fellaini will grab the top spot if there?s to be any goals in the Fulham game...>
Martin Cutler
5   Posted 18/05/2009 at 15:34:38

At this point the top goalscorer is all hypothetical stuff (good question but still yet to be decided)... the more important thing is that we score one more than Fulham and one more than Chelsea... I don?t mind if Howard gets the winner from a headed corner as long as we win!< Of course, if Saha was to bang in a hat-trick then I?d be all the more the happier!

I also agree with Chris (re: Anthony) that our extremely limited strike force has actually done quite well. With one possible exception, Anichebe but I can?t remember how many starts/games he got so I?m not sure... but only one goal wasn?t good.

Saha and Jo have scored a bunch considering the severe lack of game time for the team. Although I have to say I?ll be happy when the Yak is back... he must be bloody starving by now!!
Ben Jones
6   Posted 18/05/2009 at 18:37:39

I reckon Shandy... I can see him coming on in the last 20 mins and scoring 10 quite easily.
Dave Wilson
7   Posted 18/05/2009 at 19:36:29

It always amazes me how people want to take the opportunity to have a little dig and distort Anichebe?s stats. Anichebe started 9 games, scored two, he played wide on the right in 7 of those starts, so why is his goal return not compared to Pienaar, Osman or Gosling?
Jeremy Benson
8   Posted 18/05/2009 at 19:58:31

To be honest, Dave, I can only assume YOU don't watch Everton with an argument like that.

Big Vic has been pants this year. Sorry.
Dave Wilson
9   Posted 18/05/2009 at 20:20:35

Jeremy Benson

I watch all our games, I didn't offer an argument, just cold hard fact.
Phil Jones
10   Posted 18/05/2009 at 21:07:29

Dave Wilson
Only been to Goodison once this year against the Villains in the cup. As frustrating as Anichibe was, he did create 2 of the goals so I?m with you (he was on the right in that game too).
Martin Cutler
11   Posted 18/05/2009 at 21:04:58

I wasn?t making too much of a comment on Anichebe as I couldn?t remember how many games he?d played BUT he ONLY scored one goal (not two)... hardly makes any difference. For somebody who is supposed to be a striker that ain?t good. One would think Moyes played him on the outside (which admittedly might reduce his scoring opportunities) because he wasn?t scoring goals to begin with.

That?s pure conjecture on my part... I do think Anichebe would be the most likely player (with potentially Osman too) if we sold anybody. Osman has potential and he does have his moments but he?s too lightweight for my liking.

Ryan Jones
12   Posted 18/05/2009 at 21:36:07

Hibbert score, We riot!
Alan Kirwin
13   Posted 18/05/2009 at 22:33:16

Considering what Fellaini?s had to deal with this season, big transfer for a kid, away from home, new language, longstanding injury, played out of position, isn?t it strange that he?s our joint leading scorer. And there are some on here who think he?s crap. Ah well.

And I also think Anichebe gets a bit of a raw deal too from some Evertonians. He hasn?t played that many games, often played out of position, but has knocked a couple on and made others. I have noticed a change in his game this season. Stronger, more aware, more focused & more competitive. His performance at Anfield in the cup was excellent.

I have never doubted Fellaini will become a star with Everton. And I am increasingly of the mind that Victor will make a name for himself too. I guess there is one good side to teh Geordies going down this season, i.e. that Nolan and the two Taylors can?t assault any of our players for a while.
Jeffrey Sheridan
14   Posted 18/05/2009 at 23:44:43

Well let?s hope Saha finishes with the most...
Dave Wilson
15   Posted 19/05/2009 at 07:04:45

Anichebe scored 5 goals despite only having 12 starts last season ... when he was actually playing up front. This season Moyes has decided he is a wide player, if you watch Everton you will know this. He?s actually a very good wide player ask Stoke (scored), Villa (two assists), West Ham (two assists) or Liverpool.

The olympics, injuries and his own stupidity hampered his season long before the Nolan tackle. This guy is barely out of his teens, the ability to power past players and cross is rare, even in the Prem.

Trust me, Moyes knows what he?s got and Anichebe is going nowhere.

Chris Fisher
16   Posted 19/05/2009 at 09:48:14

I think 1-0 vs Fulham (Fellaini) and then 1-0 vs Chelsea (Cahill)!!!! So, joint top scorer!
Richard Parker
17   Posted 19/05/2009 at 11:21:50

Last season I thought that Anichebe might make it. This year I’m less positive for him, I’m all for supporting our players when they take the pitch, but this season Vic has been very poor.

He seems to be Championship quality, not top-5 Premiership.

He deserves another year or 2 to prove himself and I hope that I’m spectacularly wide of the mark.
Chris Briddon
18   Posted 19/05/2009 at 14:10:38

Dave. I know Vic scored 5 goals, but most of those where coming off the bench late on in games, particularly in UEFA cup games (And some very crucial goals he scored doing it as well).
the problem appears to be that he less effective when he plays from the start than coming on as an impact substitute for the last 20 mins or so.
Dave Wilson
19   Posted 19/05/2009 at 15:06:08

Chris, I think you're probably right, but Moyes believes he?s a wide player thats were he?s been used this season, when available, so why is he still judged on his goals?
Ben Jones
20   Posted 19/05/2009 at 16:04:59

Sorry, but how can you call Anichebe a wide player? A wide player has to have technique and he has not got it... I can guarantee it he?s a striker. He?s only playing right wing to benefit the team. I wanna know where you get the stats from Dave Wilson, because I can?t remember seeing him do one assist, if I am wrong, then fair enough and I?ll say so.

But with regards to Anichebe, I think we should keep him. He?s had one bad season so it?s far too early to judge him... he has the strength certainally and finishing, positions etc will come thru in time. Give him another chance I say!
Nick Dommett
21   Posted 19/05/2009 at 16:32:09

The way Anichebe was being used (before the tackle that ended his season) was very similar to how Liverpool use Kuyt: almost like an inside right. It gives us an (inexpensive) option to having Osman out there.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see more of that next season (and no Anichebe will not be sold)
Ray Robinson
22   Posted 19/05/2009 at 18:44:00

Nick Dommett, comparing Anichebe with Kuyt is unbelievable. The latter is a proven goalscorer - albeit not at the very top of the tree - who has been accommodated in the team on the right and who works his socks off. Anichebe is way short of an effective striker - even at Championship level - and does not run his butt off. How does your comparison hold up?
Richard Murray
23   Posted 19/05/2009 at 19:18:48

Ray,

I think Nick was making a comparison in the positions the players have been asked to play - not between the players themselves.

He’s right.
Ray Robinson
24   Posted 19/05/2009 at 20:20:42

Richard, I can see that but what is the point that is being made? That two players play in the same position?
Richard Murray
25   Posted 19/05/2009 at 21:20:45

That two players, of lesser ability in front of goal than their team mates, can be more effective played out wide where there’s less pressure on them i.e. to score every game.

I suppose, essentially, the point is this, Anichebe - like Kuyt - is a more effective player out wide on the right than up top.

Well, that’s how I’ve seen it this season anyway.
Dave Wilson
26   Posted 19/05/2009 at 21:32:03

Ben Jones

I?ll tell you were I get my stats from; I go to the games. I know about the assists against Villa, West Ham and the goal at Stoke because I was there I saw him do these things. He played wide right in all of these game just as he did at Anfield and at Newcastle before his injury.

Fuck knows what you?ve heard on radio Bangor, but the rest of Evertonia knows that, even when he didn't have any strikers, Moyes still played Anichebe out wide, he was first choice choice for the right side of midfield ? not Gosling, not Osman and definitely not Shandy ? from the day he moved Arteta central,

Try watching the team you claim to support lad, you might actually learn a bit about them.

Ben Jones
27   Posted 19/05/2009 at 23:01:00

Wooo Woo Wooo WOO WOOO!! There was no malice involved and now you think I’m not a Blue!! Bloody hell, I don’t need to prove to the likes of you that I’m an Evertonian. I just still don’t think he’s a right winger that’s all... and still don’t.... so stop turnin football debates to arguments, will ya?!

And how the hell do you know I live near Bangor? Toffeeweb’s not a site for stalkers as well, is it? Michael? Lyndon?
Michael Kenrick
28   Posted 20/05/2009 at 04:07:59

I agree, Ben, and I’m compelled to show Mr Wilson a virtual yellow card for his increasingly obnoxious arrogance regarding his perceived assessment of things Everton. Dave, can you please make your points without being quite so overbearing? Thanks.
Dave Wilson
29   Posted 20/05/2009 at 06:48:28

Michael
Arrogant and Obnoxious ?
You wound me, I thought I was merely replying in kind.
I’ll accept the YC though
Dave Wilson
30   Posted 20/05/2009 at 06:53:46

Ben Jones

I kinda guessed you were Welsh ( your name)
I believed my response to be at worst impatient, but having read it again I agree it was far too aggressive.
I know your a true blue, or you wouldnt be arsed posting here.
You have my apology
Nick Dommett
31   Posted 20/05/2009 at 10:32:58

Ray,

Like Richard said I was making the point that Anichebe, like Kuyt, was/is a striker that has been put out on the right wing (or as I said an inside-right).

For Kuyt it was a revelation: frankly he was total pants as an out and out striker but by being put out on the right he has become one of the most consistent performers at Liverpool.

I’m sayin that I believe Moyes was trying the same experiment with Anichebe, an experiment cut short by injury. I’m not saying that Anichebe is as good as Kuyt there: he hasn’t had the playing experience. However given time he could do a job there and could provide an alternative to the despair that is Osman (at the very least provide competition for the place). And given the limited resources we will have, I would not like to get rid of a player that could potentially ’solve’ the right midfield problem.