Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Yobo

According to the Guardian, Joey Yobo's contract has 1 year remaining. He will be demanding a high figure contract matching Tim Cahill and Arteta. What do fans think should be done?

He's 29, so as a centre-half could be entering his prime. He is a fantastic all round centre half, no questions about that. There are not many in the league I would rate higher than him (including Jags and Lescott IMO).

However, he's 29 and if a £10-12mil fee could be recieved for a player with 1 year left, I would most definately trust Moyes to use that money to buy an excellent young replacement defender with £5-6mil spare change. Mancienne of Chelsea is one name been linked, and we of course have the fantastic Rodwell.

I would love to see him stay, make it to 10+ years as an Everton player. However, it is now a game of money, both for player and club, so if he wants a big contract (fair enough he is a A* player); I'm sure he could get one at another big club (Arsenal springs to mind) and he would not be overly missed here, he ain't been in the team for the majority of the season anyway.

One thing for sure... we don't wanna lose him for nothing.
Fran Mitchell, Liverpool     Posted 19/05/2009 at 13:46:25

Comments

Jason Broome
1   Posted 19/05/2009 at 23:40:40

He is still one of the best centre halves in the country. He is a stabilising factor who gives 100% every game and like Neville is both a leader and a professional who goes about his business quietly. Personally I like him and rate him, so I would give him the contract. I think he’s earnt it.
Gerard Horton
2   Posted 20/05/2009 at 00:21:45

I think that the money could be better spent elsewhere.. As good as Yobo can be on his day he always looks as though he has a mistake in him and plays the long ball too much. He doesnt score too many either..

I think that if we can get a good transfer fee for Yobo we can improve the squad and add more quality. Although we would have to recruit a back up for Jags and Lescott.

In my view he is not first choice in his position and his wage should reflect this.
Andy Crooks
3   Posted 20/05/2009 at 00:28:53

Fran, I don?t think anyone is going to give us that amount of money for Joseph, particularly as he has not been first choice here. Frankly, I think we would be insane to consider selling him. DM talks about character, and it seems to me that he provides a dignity and professionalism that Everton could not easily replace.
Tom Jenkins
4   Posted 20/05/2009 at 02:45:38

Yobo isn’t first choice? When he’s been fit he is first choice. I think he’s only been on the bench fit a handful of times in his Everton career. He is entering his prime and with rumours of Lescott going to Villa (I hope if this is true we demand a high fee) we need proven quality in defence. He should 100% be on the same as Arteta and Yakubu. I would like to see a nice 5 year contract given to him too.
Russell Buckley
5   Posted 20/05/2009 at 03:15:01

Respect to Yobo he has been at the club a long time and is a quality player. He deserves a decent wage, but our wages should logically be structured with our best performers at the top.

Joe deserves to be there abouts but he is third in the pecking order of centre backs at the club. He shouldn’t be on any more than Jags or Lescott.
Gregg Ainsworth
6   Posted 20/05/2009 at 04:04:15

I would bite anyone?s hand off for £12 million. He has too many concentration lapses and makes too many unforced errors. That amount could be used well by Moyesey I reckon.
Jimmy Crack
7   Posted 20/05/2009 at 05:03:23

I say keep him.

He?s a great player, I feel (almost) as comfortable with him at the back as Lescott or Jags; it makes centre back pretty much the one position on the field we don?t need to worry about depth or quality.
Paul Olsen
8   Posted 20/05/2009 at 07:15:00

12 mill is a fantasy fee for Joseph at 29, 4-6 mill is more realistic.

And at that price, no way! He’s still top class, he’s been at this club a long time and has served the club well. As he goes into the 3-5 last years of his career he also deserves a good paycheck, sign him, keep him.
Richard Parker
9   Posted 20/05/2009 at 07:45:45

Let’s face it, the long and short of the story is that Jags is unlikely to be fully fit again til xmas, so Yobo will go nowhere.

Aside from that, taking the discussion on it’s merits..... There are very, very few players who would command 10-12M as they come up to the end of their contract. Let alone at 29.

I don’t see that we’d get enough cash for him to be able to adequately replace him and improve the team. At the end of the day, any player who is sold must be adequately replaced AND the squad as a whole improved with that money. Unfortunately that’s the reality of Everton’s transfer kitty.

I’d say he’s one of the few expendable players of value that we have. But I wouldn’t want to see him go.

Lastly - Tom Jenkins, Lescott to Villa?!?!?!?! WTF? Why would he do that? Why would we let him do that? Lescott will go nowhere, unless a top, top side comes in with £30M.
Nick Entwistle
10   Posted 20/05/2009 at 09:56:51

The last Everton player to go simply for money was Rooney. I think we’ve moved on from there and Yobo is a great first choice CB and probably the best CB in the prem to warm the bench.
Gareth Humphreys
11   Posted 20/05/2009 at 10:02:48

I think this is more that Yobo is not prepared to sit on the bench ? and let's be honest, if Lescott, Jags & Baines are fit he is ? as such the rumours are that he won?t sign a new contract.

As Everton won?t let him go on a free in 12 months, Wembley may very well be his last game for the blues ? sad but true.

Erik Dols
12   Posted 20/05/2009 at 10:08:10

If we really would get 12 mil for him, I’d sell him. But I doubt it that we’ll get that kind of money for him so I’d like him to sign a new deal.
Guy Hastings
13   Posted 20/05/2009 at 10:30:59

I could see Wenger coming in for him, Cover? Rodwell, probably.
Nick Dommett
14   Posted 20/05/2009 at 10:41:12

A tough question but I’d lean towards keeping him. As Jimmy said with him there its the one place we don’t have to worry about and given the huge increase in games next season (possibly 15 - is that right with the Europa league?) we need to build a squad to compete. Also with Jags out till October I think it would have to take some serious cash to take him away (10+ million).
David Chait
15   Posted 20/05/2009 at 10:50:55

I agree with the statement made that he is the best CB on the bench.. wow.. what an awesome situation we are in... we arguably lose NO quality when a CB has to go off. I ca nstill imagine Yobo being class for a team like Arsenal. would I take 10m .. yes.. I would... and only because we are so healthy in this area that we can use that money to improve the other areas and have a more balanced team with quality in all areas.

I would be sad to see him go, a few year ago he was my first choice for the next captaincy. His errors are so few and far between they are irrelevant. I would still like to see what he could do at RB ..

Great player... great servant! I would take no less than 8m.
Jack Henderson
16   Posted 20/05/2009 at 10:51:09

I’ve always been a big fan of Yobo’s, but all things considered and with our financial situation I say we should take anything over 7 million we get this summer. If we can get Mancienne in (which is a real possibility IMO) he will be a great prospect at around the same price (if not slightly cheaper). He can also play anywhere across the back four, would add to our English contingent and be on at least £20,000 a week less than Yobo. It would also mean one less player to worry about when the African Cup of Nations comes around.
Mike Grundy
17   Posted 20/05/2009 at 11:04:51

I cant believe we are even debating this!!

You lot saying ’’sell him’’ were probably the same ones crying when we lost him to the African Nations Cup!!!
Mike Grundy
18   Posted 20/05/2009 at 11:07:47

I also completely disagree that we are ’extremely healthy’ in the CB area!

We have 3 senior Central Defenders, one of which is injured for the forseeable future! Apart from that we have a very young and in-experienced kid as cover!
Ben Chambers
19   Posted 20/05/2009 at 11:08:11

He has been loyal to us and signed on when the likes of Arsenal wanted him, I think he has earned his bumper pay packet.

He is our longest serving player under Moyes and there is no questioning his attributes.

He is big, powerful, strong, fanticstic in the air and very very quick. He is a fantastic athlete.

He is prone to the odd lapse in concentration but he is still one of the best over all centre backs in the league.

he is a big player fir us and with Jags out for 6 months now, we will need him. I would give him parity with the others, no question.
Martin Thomas
20   Posted 20/05/2009 at 12:03:46

It is very unlikely Moyes will let him go in the transfer window as Jags is unlikely to be fully fit till November or even December. I would stick with him and pay him. He is an excellent defender and you need 3 great centre backs at this level and it would cost nearly as much to replace him as any money we get for him.
Alan Clarke
21   Posted 20/05/2009 at 12:06:38

It’s bad enough debating which people we’re apparently signing rather than creating speculation about who we should sell. We should be a lot less short sighted about selling players. Football at this level requires a squad not just 11 players. It has already been shown how important Yobo is now Jags is injured and Moyes has already stated he won’t be selling anyone this summer. I’ll also point out Neville, one of the oldest members of the squad, is the highest paid player at the club so Yobo is easily entitled to claim the same wage as our top earners regardless of the fact he is still in his prime at the age of 29.

Do you remember last year a thread saying we should sell Cahill? And another thread in December saying we should sell Baines?
Ian Tunny
22   Posted 20/05/2009 at 12:26:01

Yobo has been a loyal and true proffessional, he has been there through the tough times when he was perhaps too good for us. His loyalty should be repaid especially when all things considered he is still a top centre half and add to that Jags will ge out for most of next season. He deserves a decent contact, I think he's still got a few years left in him.
James Byrne
23   Posted 20/05/2009 at 15:05:59

I agree with most people here in that he is strong and fast off the mark, but I have never been comfortable with Yobo as I feel he is prone to too many mistakes and has only ever had 70 minutes of concentration in him when playing the full ninety.

One seriously annoying area of his game is when he picks up a high attacking ball in defence / midfield and will head it straight to an opposition player, FFS!

Yes he has been loyal and we need him for cover for Jags but he is not worth the extra wages IMHO!
James Tunstead
24   Posted 20/05/2009 at 18:38:57

There is no way any club would pay £10 million for Yobo when he is so close to being released on a free. We would get perhaps £4 million, but then who could we get to replace a player with his undoubted class and experience for that amount? Impossible.

Give him the contract. Hes hardly ever injured and hasn't moaned since hes been on the bench which shows what a team player he is. He makes the odd blunder but so do Jags & Lescott.

What a goal on Saturday as well, superb first touch for a centre-half!

James Boden
25   Posted 20/05/2009 at 19:34:32

Considering Jags injury we certainly should not sell him. Replace him with Mancienne get bloody real. I will keep Yobo thanks. My problem with him has always been his lapse in concentration because he has the ability to be a great defender. When all are fit however I prefer Jagielka and Lescott. However it was nice to see him score the other day.
James Mitchell
26   Posted 20/05/2009 at 19:54:38

its 50/50 i cant tell you how i know sorry.
Fran Mitchell
27   Posted 20/05/2009 at 22:23:25

What's with all this "we?d only get £4mil"???????

Joe Ledley is about £4mil!

That player for Fulham is rated at £10mil, Anton Ferdinand £8mil, and nemerous other centre halfs costing £10+mil.

Okay, his contract is up, but if anything less then it ain't an issue, give him a new contract. But if Arsenal, Chelsea or someone in the market for a defender offered £10-12mil (he is worth £15-20mil if on a 5-year contract) then what.

I hope we keep him, but....
Jim Slade
28   Posted 21/05/2009 at 09:13:52

According to BBC gossip reports, Yobo has turned down a new deal! If this is true, let me be the first to say good riddance and you are shaky at the best of times we don't need you. If it is not true let me be the first to say that Yobo has been agreat servant and is an indispensible part of the club.

To be perfectly honest, we don't need Yobo if he doesn't want to stay; he is 3rd choice centre-half now and that's a fact. Lacsadasical and shaky for the most part. We can always buy a Carl Tiler type back up to sit on the bench instead of him.

Eric Myles
29   Posted 21/05/2009 at 09:44:16

Seems he’s turned down a new offer already and Moyes is looking to cash in on him according to this
David Jones
30   Posted 21/05/2009 at 09:48:31

I would prefer him to stay, and which player doesn?t negotiate with an eye to a better deal? If he goes, I will be very sorry to see him go, but he is not irreplaceable and if the fee strengthens the team overall, then what can we do but take the money.

I expect to see either him of Lescott go over the summer as we have to sell to buy in other areas. I would prefer both to stay... but unless Kenwright finds a spare £20 million in his mattress, what can Everton do?

Everyone at Everton has a price. Absolutely everyone. That?s just the way it is nowadays. Even United sell at the right price... and they manage to be very successful.
James Bowman
31   Posted 21/05/2009 at 09:10:09

Difficult this one... I hope he stays, although Moyes does seem to be buying for the future and I believe we have already pre-bought a central defender, Mustafi from Hamburg I think. OK, he is young (17 I think?) but with Rodwell and Neville I think we have ample cover.

Maybe Moyes sees the same situation as this year when youth was given the chance to shine and when/if our first team players are injured that should be the time for youth to be given the chance. I think that the younger players improve just from the manager showing faith in them, look how much Rodwell has achieved... and he is only 18!!

I would class Rodwell as part of the first team now and if we could add a couple more then the future would look in good hands. I think Jacobsen is here whilst Seamus Coleman comes through and I think we?ll see a bit more of that. With Yobo, I would expect Moyes wants him to stay whilst he brings on a replacement rather than buy one, I think at least a short-term deal earning the same as the others and he deserves that.

I think the real question is, ?does Yobo want to stay?? At 29 he must surely be hoping for a big move to gain some silverware. A great servant and I will be sad to see him go.

John Meredith
32   Posted 21/05/2009 at 09:34:49

Some of the papers are suggesting because Yobo has a year left on his deal he will move on in the summer and not sign a new one.

I remember his last contract which was also signed with a year to go in the summer and with the club/team in nowhere near as good a shape as now.

I?ve met his agent a few times, he is also Tim Cahill's agent too. He seems a decent enough chap. He?s told me their love for the club and special relationship they have with Kenwright and how they could have each have been much richer had they not turned down numerous offers in the past for pastures new.

Clearly Yobo is not as good as Jags and Lescott at centre half now, but there still a big role for him to play in the team. Jags will not be fit until the end of September, and any possible knocks to Lescott or Baines would also mean he?ll get to play. Not to mention squad rotation with the Europa games......

If he does actually go, which I doubt, my option would be to bring Dunney back, he?s being shipped out for £3-4M this summer.
Jim Slade
33   Posted 21/05/2009 at 10:48:53

John Meredith ? I couldn't fail to disagree more ? Richard Dunne? Are you joking?

"He?s told me their love for the club and special relationship they have with Kenwright and how they could have each been much richer had they not turned down numerous offers in the past for pastures new." ? What a load of utter shite

. I don't know who is worse , the agent for saying it in the first place or you for regurgitating it on here.

Anthony Millington
34   Posted 21/05/2009 at 11:12:36

My worry is how much would it cost to bring in someone good enough to replace Yobo? I think he should sign a new contract and he’s got his chance now to prove he should be in the starting line up, whilst Jags is out. We have only got three first team centre backs at the club, so they are all going to get first team football throughout the season.
John Carter
35   Posted 21/05/2009 at 17:38:38

Offer Pompey £15 mill + Yobo for Glen Johnson and Kranjcar.

Howard; Johnson, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines; Kranjcar, Arteta Neville, Pienaar; and either Cahill or Fellaini playing behind Yakubu.