Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The FA Cup and what it means

What is the significance of the FA cup to the players of Everton and Chelsea?

I have listened with interest, since the two FA Cup finalists have been known, to comments by players from both teams. Intestingly there was very little coming from the Chelsea camp until they were knocked out of the Champions League and had no chance of winning the Premier League.

On the Everton side, the fans, the players and the club as a whole have been hit by FA Cup fever since the semi-final. If Everton were to win on 30th May, it will be their first trophy since 1995, so winning the cup is massive.

The Chelsea players on the other hand have been reflecting on missing out on getting to the CL final, and talk about the FA Cup as being a consolation prize, for a disappointing season.

So it seems that winning the FA Cup will mean more to Everton than Chelsea. Will this matter on the day? Will it matter who wants it more?

I think it will.
Brian Baker, Aldershot     Posted 21/05/2009 at 08:47:53

Comments

Jason Broome
1   Posted 21/05/2009 at 14:32:34

Don’t underestimate Chelsea, they might not respect the FA Cup as much as we do, but on the day they are going to fight like dogs to give Guus Hiddink something to remember them by.
Joeynkoo Ludden
2   Posted 21/05/2009 at 15:13:13

We may want it more, but we will have to really be on top of our game to have a chance of beating them, even though they don’t want it as much.
Tony Marsh
3   Posted 21/05/2009 at 16:10:18

Brian, do you really think the likes of Lampard, Drogba, Terry and Essien are going to roll over and play dead once they walk out at Wembley on 30 May? There will be a worldwide audience watching and we can only guess the how many millions it will be.

The moment Iniesta smashed that equiliser in at the Bridge last week, our chances of winning took a major hit. It amazes me just how many of our lot have been coming out with this shit about Chelsea not caring. I hope you're right mate but somehow I don't think life is that simple.

Can we win? If everything goes our way and Chelsea have an off-day we might have a chance... Oh and if Leon Osman gets dropped that is.
Phil Roberts
4   Posted 21/05/2009 at 16:31:56

18th May 1984, my last day in my job in Wembley. That night, leaving drinks in a pub in Watford.

All the locals were glad to be going to Wembley - the Evertonians were there to win it.

That was the difference - along with Tricky Trev, Ratters, Nev, Reidy etc etc.
Tony Lynch
5   Posted 21/05/2009 at 17:29:50

Tony, I hope Osman plays and has a blinder, that will shut you right up.
Godfrey Blumenthal
6   Posted 21/05/2009 at 17:32:58

Tony,

I get a subscription for Everton TV each year for Xmas off my Dad, and I love it for the 20 minute highlights I get instead of the last two minutes of MOTD. Last night I watched the two games against Chelsea this season and in the home game Ossie was terrific. I know you hate the lad but if you get a chance have a look at that game and you?ll see how hard he worked, how he went in bravely for the tackle that had Terry sent off, and the chances he created for Tim, Pienaar, and others. On his day (which you will say doesn?t come often enough) Leon Osman is a talented and dedicated addition to our team.

I hope he plays, and that he has had enough training under his belt for him to play his best.
Dennis Stevens
7   Posted 21/05/2009 at 18:15:03

Osman & Hibbert will play & will prove crucial to the result!
Tony Marsh
8   Posted 21/05/2009 at 18:17:34

Godfrey, if we are going on current form with Osman, just watch his performance last Saturday v West Ham. Awfull is being kind mate.
Jon J Cox
9   Posted 21/05/2009 at 19:43:08

Tony,

There?s a lot of what you say that, being a realist, I agree with. As regards to little Leon however, I think that he is first and foremost a team player. He is as part of the family as Mikel, Joyo or any of them.

To me, Leon tries to do things that the others don't, sometimes have the bottle to try, and therefore when the things he tries don't come off it always looks as though he is sub-standard.

I look at it in terms of, if I was the manager, I would always say to my strikers, "Try to have ten shots at goal every game and it doesn?t matter whether you hit the corner flag nine times but the the tenth flies in."

This is what I think Leon is trying to do. It?s the type of football that in say a cup final will put a man through on goal. His endeavors may not work for the majority of the game but that one instance he will succeed.

For me I?ll bet he reads this website and if you do then keep going son because you will get there in the end. And for you I hope you get there in the end AT WEMBLEY.
Aiden Doyle
10   Posted 21/05/2009 at 20:04:43

Question: Winning the FA Cup seems to be more important to Everton than it does to our opponents. Does that help us?

Answer: That Leon Osman is crap, isn?t he?

It never ceases to amaze me how some of you guys can warp just about any topic in to a dreary moan about your personal bugbears. Thank God no one is blathering on about Kirby yet.
Jon J Cox
11   Posted 21/05/2009 at 20:05:51

And who was the first to mention Kirby.

Sorry mate I meant to say KIRKBY
Aiden Doyle
12   Posted 21/05/2009 at 20:17:06

Oops. Good catch with the spelling, Jon (I’m standing by the rest though)
James Boden
13   Posted 21/05/2009 at 20:33:28

Totally agree with you, Tony Marsh; Osman must be dropped. Bring Rodwell in and put Neville on the right and we may have something. As terrible as it may sound, the only way Osman won?t play in the final is if he gets injured. And, since I think he is shite, I for one wouldn?t cry myself to sleep if he missed the final. However, I would cry myself to sleep if we lost.
Jon J Cox
14   Posted 21/05/2009 at 20:44:11

Aiden, all I was tryin to say was that sometimes conversations digress. And I?m sorry about the Kirkby thing.

Back to the plot. If anyone thinks that Chelsea have got themselves to a final albeit the only Premier League club they played on their way there was Arsenal, then think again. They will be out for blood. To be fair, we now have the most dire set of circunstances that we could ever have had in terms of they really want to win this cup.

I?m happy with that because if we go down then we go down fighting!! But hey, guys ? promise me this: If we win, I want everyone to do the phone-ins after.

No 1: give em shit;

No 2: give ?em even more shit and talk about Villa. And to finish let them know in no uncertain terms that we are back WITH A VENGENCE.

And Moyes is going nowhere!

Sam Higgins
15   Posted 21/05/2009 at 23:18:44

Yeah.

And did you know that Kevin Jones?s father in law is 82.

Tony ? Ossie will play in the Cup Final ? do you promise to come on ToffeeWeb after the game and write a piece if he scores and we win?!
Tommy Gibbons
16   Posted 21/05/2009 at 23:14:38

Grrrr... don?t the likes of Marsh just make you wanna puke?!! Hope he sells his Wembley ticket to someone with a bit more faith in the club/team/manager... I?d call him a cunt, but they?re useful!
John Maxwell
17   Posted 21/05/2009 at 23:46:18

Osman First Goal Scorer in the FA Cup Final...

18-1...

Mr Marsh, is this worth a tenner?
Brian Baker
18   Posted 22/05/2009 at 08:32:32

Tony Marsh.

I don’t for one minute think that Chelsea will roll over. There will be some Chelsea players giving 110% with a huge desire to win the FA Cup.

But it only takes a few players to not regard the FA Cup as being that important, in the grand scheme of things in order to tip the balance.

It seems there are some Chelsea players who do give that impression. It may be that other things going on in the club are distracting them, like the uncertainty of who will be managing them next season.

But I could be wrong, and we will get our asses kicked on the day.

But IMHO I think we will put on a show to be proud of, win or lose.
Alan Rooney
19   Posted 22/05/2009 at 09:44:57

For what it's worth, I agree with Tony Marsh about Leon Osman. No doubt that he?s got the abilty but for me he lacks a footballing brain. When he shines, it's probably down to luck. But mostly he?s unaware of his surroundings and thinks too slowly.
Ade Franco
20   Posted 22/05/2009 at 09:56:47

How many teams have got the the Final in the FA Cup before after having to knock out 4 teams in their division on the way, with 3 of them in the top 4 at the time we played them?

I doubt many... We have done it the hard way.
Dermot Dinan
21   Posted 22/05/2009 at 13:12:43

As has been said on here many times, and not only by Tony Marsh, Osman has been virtually anonymous in the really big games, and even more so against Sky 4 opposition.

Coupled with the manager?s reluctance to drop or even substitute him, we have the weakest link in a vital area of the pitch imo.

Essien & Co will be rubbing their hands come teamsheet time. Naturally I would love to be proved wrong but I believe we win the FA Cup in spite of Osman not because of him.
Nick Lees
22   Posted 22/05/2009 at 13:56:59

What a bunch of arseholes. What has personalities got to do with the question? All the tossers on her moaning and groaning. Leave the team choice to Moyes as he hasn?t done that bad this season has he?

As regards the question, believe me come the day Chelsea will give it 100% as they are full of total professionals. We need luck and total commitment as does any team.

Tony Lynch
23   Posted 22/05/2009 at 17:32:22

I am the Tony Lynch who posted yesterday about Gareth Humphries being a grass on that touting thread but I haven?t posted anything today about Osman. However someone called Tony Lynch has.

Although I agree and Tony Marsh would get the stun bad style if Osman played a blinder, just wanted to repeat that the previous Tony Lynch is either an imposter posing as me or is also called Tony Lynch. If so, what?s happening laird?!!!

Tony I'Anson, Stirling
24   Posted 22/05/2009 at 23:42:25

Citizen Marsh, the hater of the Right (sided players). Power to the people.

The Bolsheviks will will the battle of the Left and come home triumphant.

Then you Citizem Smith wanabes can jump all over the big fucking horses in the town centre on Sunday afternoon with a great big hangover after we win the Cup.

We?ve missed you Tony Marsh, have you been in talks with Maggie T on how to improve the Right.
Si Harwood
25   Posted 22/05/2009 at 13:00:47

Friday - Bank Holiday Weekend - Everton 5th in the league - FA Cup Final a week away and Jags & Yobo sign new long term contracts!!!! WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!!! AND IF YOU KNOW YOUR HISTORY!!
John McNabb
26   Posted 23/05/2009 at 09:41:10

Come on all blues, everyone go and get out and buy your Everton car flag. Let's show everyone it is a Blue city.