Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Why Sunday?

I've lived in Oz for 27 years now and have obviously missed the reasoning behind playing he last day's games on a Sunday. Why not Saturday?
Keith Edmunds, Melbourne     Posted 23/05/2009 at 08:05:10

Comments

Brian Hill
1   Posted 23/05/2009 at 13:51:41

Because Sky says so.
Jake Gordon
2   Posted 23/05/2009 at 14:12:56

I think there?s a law or something in place that prohibits live football from being televised between 3 and 5pm on a Saturday to protect attendances in the lower divisions. So it might have something to do with that.

Having said that it would make sense for an exception to be made for the last day of the Premier League season as the Football League has finished aside from the playoffs, but moving one game to 5.15 for example wouldn?t be too difficult for the sake of a full Premier League programme.
Tony Anetts
3   Posted 23/05/2009 at 14:16:58

It is absolutely ridiculous ? I can think of no good reason why the last week is different from the rest. I?m going to jump on a plane to England from Sydney tomorrow and I?ll have no idea of how we go against Fulham as it will be played while I?m in the air.

I heard SAF on Setanta earlier today condemning the Premier League planners for making all teams play on Sun, noting that it is no suprise that at least one English team will be playing on Wed in Rome. For once I think he has a good point.

I cannot imagine there will be too many Everton fans relishing going to London for a Sunday game less than a week before the Cup Final. For those who do go ? well done to you ? a real effort from dedicated supporters.
Kevin Hudson
4   Posted 23/05/2009 at 15:17:47

..And presumably, they’re all being played at the same time, on account of relegation deciders having a level playing field, in terms of not knowing results beforehand. Would that be right ?

( And sunday games are always bollocks )
Ray Robinson
5   Posted 23/05/2009 at 17:22:57

I always thought that the reason the PL matches moved to Sunday was to give the Championship some prime focus at the end of the season. This made sense when Championship and PL fixtures coincided but has no bearing this season as the Championship matches (bar playoffs) finished some weeks ago.

So in short, don’t know.
Tom Edwards
6   Posted 23/05/2009 at 17:57:52

Have to agree with Brian Hill above. I suspect it is down to the Almighty Sky and their buying power. That is the prime reason for most of the ridiculous KO times during the season.
Ade Franco
7   Posted 23/05/2009 at 19:16:14

There is a Rule that the FA stick to, to not show Live Professional League or Cup football during the league season between 14:45 and 17:15.
It is an opt-out rule and was brought in to ensure that attendances were not affected by live TV. Seems silly now as most Premier League games don't even happen at this time; however, all other divisions do.
James Boden
8   Posted 23/05/2009 at 23:05:15

Since Sky Sports pretty much run the Premier League, they dictate what time games start and finish. As for why it is on Sunday, well I wouldn?t have a clue but perhaps it is because they want to be different to the old Football League.
Brendan O'Doherty
9   Posted 24/05/2009 at 00:11:51

I think it is because they have a contract to show a game at 4pm every Sunday. So, because of the need for all games to kick off at the same time, all games were moved to this slot on the last day of the season.
Ade Franco
10   Posted 24/05/2009 at 11:37:54

As I said, they won't play them all on a Saturday at 12:45 or 17:15. That's why they choose Sunday. The Championship last day is also a Sunday for the same reason.

This rule was about long before Sky TV in regards to a live blackout on a Saturday between 14:45 and 17:15
Luke Bennett