Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The magic number

As De La Soul so memorably sang "Three, that's the magic number". That's our third top-six finish in as many years; twice in fifth. We are now back after far too long in the backwaters, praying for mid-table mediocrity as the antidote to relegation-haunted games.

We are spoken about now with a certain awe; they did it without money, they had faith in the manager. Yes, we did! Every year, the same old media favourites dragged out; Spurs, the Barcodes (Ha! Bye Bye!). Every year written off before we even start, just because we aren't Liverpool or some other brown nosing media darling.

We do it our way, Moyes's way, the Everton Way.

What do they want now? Increasingly, I hear the Rooneyesque "Moyes is too big for Everton", He deserves a shot at the Big Time". Well, we are the Big Time now. He stays.

Whatever will be next Saturday, it's one match and anything can happen; but, win or lose, Everton are back. So watch out Arsenal, Villa and the rest. We are looking up, not down... and none of you are safe next season.

COYB. Great Season. Lovin' it.
Steve Guy, Harrogate     Posted 24/05/2009 at 16:39:15

Comments

Neil Pearse
1   Posted 24/05/2009 at 20:29:26

Good stuff Steve! Fantastic to see Newcastle go down, complete mismanagement and arrogant stupidity getting what it deserves. No one is owed a place in the Premier League, however ?big? a club they are. And how will the MotD luvvies now explain that ? er, yet again ? we finished above Villa (who is Martin O?Neil anyway?) and Spurs?

It shows that owner stability, bloody hard work, and sheer talent (especially Moyes?s in the transfer market ? he is simply the best) are what it takes. Now if only we could find that man £30M in the summer to buy some players....

Anyway, well done Blues, a fabulous achievement after a poor start, and with injuries that would have torpedoed any other club. Now indeed for the icing on the cake...
Richard Dodd
2   Posted 24/05/2009 at 20:35:58

And all down to the faith Blue Bill Kenwright showed in David Moyes.
They both should be knighted forthwith!
Keith Glazzard
3   Posted 24/05/2009 at 20:54:32

Amen to that Richard.

And while we’re feeling holy, spare a thought for those poor bastards who went through the relegation mill today. Yeah, even the Geordies, for they know not what they do. Just be thankful that we were so far away from all of it, and pray that it may never come unto us again.
Frank Castle
4   Posted 24/05/2009 at 21:11:30

Thank you for another great season! Win or lose next week we should all be proud of finishing fifth =)
Billy Brad
5   Posted 24/05/2009 at 21:19:54

Kenwright is a very lucky man. Without Moyes he would have been forced out by now, Still no money brought in, still none of the board prepared to invest in the club. We still need 6-7 players to compete on all fronts next year, like we do every year.
Karl Masters
6   Posted 24/05/2009 at 21:41:18

A fantastic turnaround from the situation we were in around mid October.

All this ’Moyes is too big for Everton’ media stuff is rubbish. Remember how they all said that Rooney HAD to leave to become a better player? Is he actually any better and affect matches any more than he did 5 years ago at Everton? After scoring a hatful at Euro 2004 as an Everton player, it took him over 3 years to score an England goal in a competitive match once he joined Manure!

Moyes can achieve a lot more at Everton and what better place to start than Wembley next Saturday??

COYB!!!!!
Alan Kirwin
7   Posted 24/05/2009 at 21:56:30

Billy Brad - that’s really funny, that bit about Kenwright being lucky. You’re obviously not serious as nobody could spout such utter nonsense.

You of course will be aware that it was Kenwright who selected Moyes in the first place and it was also Kenwright who stuck with Moyes on two notable occasions when we went through the shittiest periods imaginable.

Moyes pays regular tributes to Kenwright and patently enjoys the working atmosphere that Kenwright has fostered. Oddly, a number of our players have spoken about Kenwright’s influence on the way the club feels. Kenwright’s stewardship gets regular plaudits from people in every walk of the game where he is admired both professionally and personally. And he has numerous friends in high places who’s advice and support he has called on occasionally help EFC.

How sad that it is within the ranks of Evertonia, during our most successful spell for decades, that some fans prefer to berate a widely admired chairman rather than appreciate what they have got and the part he’s played in it.

I too have considered dancing with the devil, slobbering about the untold riches that would become available when our trillionaire Arab oil magnate arrives. But I’m over it and now firmly of the view that losing Bill Kenwright will be a body blow to our club. Sure, it would be nice to have a bit more money, but I have this old fashioned philosophy that I share with Arsene Wenger that football clubs should, oddly,live within their means.

On and off the pitch this club is now doing great. It ain’t Kenwright’s fault that he’s missing a £100m or three to donate to the cause.

I just sit here and laugh my knob off at what Agent Ashley has done to Newcastle and wonder at the reception he would have got from Evertonians has he gone for us instead (and had Bill Kenwright been greedy enough to just hand it over). In fact I’d wagr that 99% of the Kenwright haters would be creaming themselves had Ashley bought Everton. Fuck knows what the same myopic individuals would have made of Dennis Wise’s arrival at Goodison as Executive Director of Football, and his recommendation of starburts like Gutierrez and his ensemble.

One day the penny might just drop with the anti-Kenwright brigade. But by then it may be too late. One thing that wouldn’t change though is that Kenwright woud be at every game as an Evertonian.

Sam Higgins
8   Posted 24/05/2009 at 22:46:46

Alan, you're a man after my own heart! I've been questioning the anti-Kenwright brigade for ages ? the reasons and agendas... and I always get shot down in flames! As far as I'm aware ?Billy Liar? is the favourite turn of phrase due to Kings Dock, Fortress Sports Fund, and Kirkby.

I think BK has only ever done what he believes is right for the club. I wouldn't want anyone else in charge, not Roman, not Calderon, not Randy ? Bill will do just nicely. I just get the feeling if someone did turn up with £100M to invest, everything would go to shit. We now have Leeds and Newcastle as shining examples of greed and stupidity leading to demise.

Other points following today: New stadium ? Is it that important right now? St James' Park is fucking massive. By far and away the biggest stadium in the Championship now.

Michael Owen: No, no, and no again. Do not go near him, Moyes. He couldn't've given a bigger fuck today if he had tried. 10 years ago ? the possibility to be one of the greatest... Today ? a money-grabbing, crap, injury-prone, talentless, disloyal gambling cunt.

Arteta: I love yer Mikky lad ? wish you were in the final ? just thought I'd bring him up as we seem to have forgotten about him!!

Ossie: 37 more games like that will do nicely. One game like that next week and he will be a legend!!

Next Saturday: Can't wait ? I think we can do it ? we have the hunger and the drive. Doesn't matter who plays they will all give 100%

Finally: Fantastic season... really quite marvellous. The boys have done incredible. We have finished 5th behind 4 of the best soccer club teams in the world. Moyes is the fucking greatest and I would swap him for absolutely no-one.

Neil Pearse
9   Posted 24/05/2009 at 23:55:58

Billy - To those and those like you who think that success or failure at football clubs has nothing to do with their owners, two words: Mike Ashley.

It would be just as true to say that Moyes is lucky to have Kenwright. Without Kenwright it is certain that he would not now be managing a top five club in the FA Cup Final.
Frank Nolan
10   Posted 24/05/2009 at 23:39:26

Billy Brad, you have been dismantled big time by Alan and Sam, a very poor post which would have sat nicely on a RS site.

After 8 games we were in 16th position and out of 2 cup competitions. I am still in a state of shock and awe at what we have gone on to achieve this year.
Dean Williamson
11   Posted 25/05/2009 at 00:32:04

I?m so proud of Everton. Well done.

I?m having £10 on 1-0 Fellaini next week! I really believe we?re gonna win the Cup!
Phil Smallwood
12   Posted 25/05/2009 at 03:56:04

Bit of a change in the thread, but I live over here in Oz and work in the bush. I have not heard of anything about who will wear blue for the Cup Final... any details on this? Thanks.
Jason Broome
13   Posted 25/05/2009 at 04:08:27

Phil - we are... and I believe it will be our new kit too.

COYB!
Jamie Crowley
14   Posted 25/05/2009 at 04:41:45

it was also Kenwright who stuck with Moyes on two notable occasions when we went through the shittiest periods imaginable. Alan ? this is the most important point, and thank you for reiterating it.

Everton are realizing success due to implementing some very old fashioned business acumens: stay the course, don?t over-react or compensate based upon short-term results, and be good to your people ? treat them like family. Consistency in approach and tireless work ethic will help you out-perform and out-produce other larger organizations with greater and more vast resources.

We are where we are because of BK and DM, their vision, their plan, and their unwavering commitment to that plan. Fuck all the larger, richer clubs. And please knock it off once and for all with "This is Everton, 5th don?t cut it."

We?ll be top 4 in 2 years time, and maybe as soon as next year. From where this club was 7 years ago to where it now is, and more importantly where you?d have to think it?s trending to... the future is bright.

Every fan of this great club should be singing the praises of Kenwright and Moyes. And whereas neither should be above reproach, it amazes me sometimes the abuse they take from some on this site.

"It?s a beautiful sunny day at the beach!
But I hate the feel of sand between my toes." :o(

Then fuck off! Don?t ruin my day.

Mike Coates
15   Posted 25/05/2009 at 06:41:52

Can someone make a compilation of the highlights of the season.

Do the DVDs they sell for the season show just goals, or the close ones and great footwork of players as well?

Just want some memories of a great year and looking forward to wearing a Maro Wig this weekend, even if I?m thousand of kms away and wearing a Cahill top... lol

COYB!
Sam Higgins
16   Posted 25/05/2009 at 08:33:30

Fuck sake. Being in NZ, I have to catch MotD highlights Monday evening on the net. That's not my beef though. I've just witnessed the Beeb's coverage of the Villa ? Newcastle match.

At the final whistle, I think it was Motty was talking like Princess Diana had died all over again. Like it was fucking dreadful that the Toon had gone and almost like it was unfair!!!! I wouldnt be surprised if lineker et al were wearing black armbands in the studio!!! Do you think the Beeb will try and get Championship football coverage next season, just so they can follow the Toon Army?!!

Imagine if it had been the Toffees that had been relegated today. I'm convinced the coverage would've been from the general view that we deserved it and good riddance ? cut back to studio: Lineker, Lawrenson, and Hansen sipping on champagne whilst telling us how "You can't do anything without any money" and "Everton are too small for the Prem", "they need to be like Villa, Spurs, Newcastle..."

Oh, speaking of our old friend Lawrenson, did anyone see his fucking weekly shite football score prediction wank? Had us loosing to Fulham obviously, followed by: Fulham have had a superb season. Everton haven't done bad either....

We just aint MEDIA DARLINGS lads!!!!! And better for it!!!

Richard Parker
17   Posted 25/05/2009 at 07:49:05

I think the article is somewhat over the top after having secured 5th place on the last day of the season.

Don?t get me wrong, I think 5th is a good season and given the start we had, the injuries, etc, etc, etc, it?s an overachievement. And I am proud of the fact that we are the best side outside of the Sky-rich 4.

But seriously, "we?re back in the big time"??! Really?!?!? I don?t consider 5th as the big-time. If we?d been in the Champions League group stages and beyond for 3 years on the trot, then yes, that?s back in the big time.

Feet on the floor time - it?s gonna take 5 or 6 very good signings this summer to break the top-4 next year. Not necessarily big money signings, but 5 or 6 in the Cahill, Arteta, Pienaar, Jags, Lescott mould.

We?re gonna lose Yak, Yobo, Vic and Pienaar for the AFCON. We don?t know of Yak will be back at his best, we don?t know if Mikky will get a full pre-season, or any pre-season. We could well be without Jags for half the season.....

I think there?s a lot of blue-tinted glasses on at the moment and that?s not negativity, it?s realism. This season has been one of the best in the last 30 years, if not the best. By all means enjoy the 5th place, above all we must enjoy the cup final, these are big moments. But once next weekend is out of the way, the job starts all over again for next season. It?s much too early to be asserting that we?ll be top-4 in 2 seasons, just like that. I believe we can be and with good management, the Everton Way and a bit of cash for Moyes I?m optimistic that we will be. But let?s not congratulate ourselves now on a job half-done.
Richard Parker
18   Posted 25/05/2009 at 08:44:04

Sam Higgins - how do you watch MOTD highlights from NZ? I’ve been trying from overseas and can’t get around the ’UK only’ thing. Is it on BBC.co.uk or another site?

Cheers mate.
Blair Johnson
19   Posted 25/05/2009 at 09:45:40

It IS a great season ... remember the doom and gloom on these pages in August when we weren?t signing anyone? Most would have taken 10th place let alone 5th and an FA Cup Final then. No Yak, no Arteta for much of it and Moyes?s boys eeked out result after result. Imagine what Newcastle fans would give to swap with us ... or even Spurs and Citeh for that matter.

We are special ... we are the GREAT OVERACHIEVERS... I'm so, so proud to be a Toffee today ... and all season really. I?ll take fourth and another Cup Final next season thanks. COYB, NSNO... In Moyes we Trust.
Richard Parker
20   Posted 25/05/2009 at 09:48:32

Without wishing to take over the thread - here’s a nice piece on the Times website which follows on pretty well from this discussion: -

Sam Higgins
21   Posted 25/05/2009 at 10:24:41

Richard - yeah I got it from BBC Sport website ? just clips not the full show... If you want all the goal highlights go to eplmatches.com.

I take it you know that TVNZ1 are showing the Final live on Sunday morning...
Sam Higgins
22   Posted 25/05/2009 at 10:28:34

Sorry Richard just realised ? you aren't actually in NZ, so the last bit is irrelevant!!
Gerry Rutter
23   Posted 25/05/2009 at 10:34:32

Hey everyone. What a great season and I believe we can lift the Cup next week.

Just a thought for next season. I reckon we can pick up Viduka for not much. He is a class player if fit, smart and holds the ball up well. He does not want to be in the Championship because he needs exposure to get into the Aussie side for next year's World Cup. Our youngsters could learn a hell of a lot from playing off him for a season or two. I?ll be watching at midnight down here in Oz next week. COYB.

Geh Looker
24   Posted 25/05/2009 at 10:50:31

Good season, not Great yet,

Win the Cup and we can say its been a great season. But whatever happens, NO to the OVERWEIGHT LAZY MONEY GRABBING MERCENARY that is Viduka; no no no no no... his attitude and that of his team mates are the reason for Newcastle's demise.

I can?t see a single positive attribute that he would bring to any of our young players.
Richard Parker
25   Posted 25/05/2009 at 11:33:44

Thanks a lot Sam. Will give it a go.
Geh Looker
26   Posted 25/05/2009 at 11:49:37

Interview with the one and only Joe Parkinson found via richards link..

Ste Kenny
27   Posted 25/05/2009 at 13:42:37

We havent overachieved, we're a better side than all those below us! And next season, I think we will prove to be a better side than the team above us.
Berry McWilliam
28   Posted 25/05/2009 at 13:46:52

Geh Looker - Why is Viduka a lazy money grubbing mercenary... because he went to Newcastle after several years of 20+ goals a season, loyalty to Middlesbrough, surely when other clubs would have come knocking... I'm not saying we should get him on board but he has been a talent in the past that has been plagued by injuries the last few seasons...

Your comments are off and over the top. He would have a lot to offer any developing striker and just because running around isn't his strength doesn't mean he doesn't have plenty of others to offer.

Geh Looker
29   Posted 25/05/2009 at 16:03:01

Mark Viduka has had 1 season breeching 20 goals in the Prem. Has failed to score this season, let his contract run down at Boro to move to local rivals. I think he?s lazy as, when I watch him play, he does nothing. I agree he has showed talent in the past but that's precisely why we should not be contemplating signing him or anybody like him, over-rated, over-paid and over the hill.

I think we should be looking to pick up the relegated teams' brightest prospects (if any) not the experienced players that have taken them down and shown that they are not up for the fight.

I would not look to get any players in from Newcastle, purely on the basis that their squad of players should not have gone down as some are talented players; this leads me to believe that they don?t have the right attitude for us.

We need to be looking at top players with winning mentalities if we have cash... and if we don?t, then prospects who can grow with us.
Karl Masters
30   Posted 25/05/2009 at 17:28:14

Chris Brunt from West Brom would be a very sensible typical Moyes buy. This lad has a lot of potential and is wasted at the Hawthorns.
Berry McWilliam
31   Posted 26/05/2009 at 03:50:36

So maybe he wasnt as prolific as I remembered but he still notched 18+ goals in his last two seasons with Middlesbrough + had a reputable record before that with Leeds.

God forbid a footballer in his twilight years aged 30 moving to a club with more potenital to be successful in the Prem League! Give him break. Are you from New Zealand or something?

I have never once mentioned we SHOULD sign him but rather that your comments are ill-put and rash.