Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Billionaire's Plaything?

Reports of Peter Reid heading a consortium and the longstanding rumour that a Quatari investment group are considering buying into Everton have got me wondering would I like to see us taken over.

I'm not a big fan of Black Bill but I don't think our club suddenly being awash with moohlah and trying to buy every half-decent player in sight would sit comfortably with me.

Lots will say Randy Lerner at Villa is as good as it gets, and undoubtedly he has gone about things the right way. But even still a man with no connection to the club, area or fans would seem strange to me.

I dont know how the Cup Final will go or if we will win much over the next few years but I feel a lot prouder that we are doing things the way we are. Even if this does frustrate the life out of me every summer when we get linked to players we obviously can't afford.

I suppose what I'm getting at is does anyone on TW know any scouse lifelong Evertonian billionaires, except Paul McCartney? Personally I don't think I could accept anything else...
Ste Kenny, Everton     Posted 25/05/2009 at 10:17:08

Comments

Danny Jones
1   Posted 25/05/2009 at 17:08:27

I will go along with that, when Man City were taken over and the papers were full of how they will do this, that and the other, I thought it doesn't seem right. Also, what happens when they get bored, as the Russian seems to be with Chelsea? Or the banks want their loans back like the Shite?

We may be in debt and our owner might not have the bank accounts of most, but at least we can feel like we haven?t sold our soul (yet!).

Alan Clarke
2   Posted 25/05/2009 at 18:00:00

In the Inside Sport BBC interview, Moyes does state that he has ambition but is still unsure whether he can realise his ambition at Everton. He does elude to the fact we need more investment to help take Everton further. Man City are not a fine example but if we want to keep our manager and try and challenge at the top of the Premier League then we still need a hell of a lot more money than Kenwright can offer.
Fran Mitchell
3   Posted 25/05/2009 at 19:21:01

We need to be careful, because the sky-bubble will burst and many clubs will suffer.

At the same time we need investment, our club is depandant as the next on sky money and WHEN it bursts we will be in trouble.

But we need an investor who will not put the debts into the clubs accounts ala liverpool and man u.

We also need an investor who will not take have the idea of ’i buy club, we spend 160million, we win league, in 2 years we win champions league’ We need someone who will invest in the club, and will invest in David Moyes.

We connot have any Directors of Football or anything like this.

I also would like us to go out and spend 100+ mil every season, I respect everton and want to continue respecting everton. I dont want us to be a joke, 20-25mil per season (i.e. 1 big player to improve team and a few squad bulkers) and the ability to sign someone in Jan if injuries occur.

Andy Morden
4   Posted 25/05/2009 at 19:59:58

I agree with Fran Mitchell. Essentially it is about balance. If we had idiot money I am not sure how I would feel. I take pride in the fact that we work our resources well. I suppose that comes from the fact that in the world of football banter it is the easiest way to denigrate the success of Chelski and the shite - say they brought it, say they have wanked money up the wall (Robbie Keane etc) and that any idiot can throw money at a team and finish second.

However, as Fran says it would just be nice to have some money to spend. Every season I get the picture that the board and the finance team behind the scenes are frantically scratching around to balance the books and free up cash to spend. Last summer was awful and we had to sell AJ to bring a free, a couple of loans and a ’record’ signing that might not actually be the record signing (depending upon the source, we paid anywhere between £3.5-5.5 million up front and the rest is based on appearances etc). In short, just having some money that Moyes can use to have more flexibility to sign players would be a start.
Joe McMahon
5   Posted 25/05/2009 at 20:32:04

I agree, but a look at the flipside is we don’t want to be just looking at the Messiah route, it didn’t do anything for Newcastle.
Peter Pridgeon
6   Posted 25/05/2009 at 20:32:31

I think it would be illogical for an investor to come in and make wholesale changes at Everton. The likely out come would be for someone to buy the club or a substantial part of it, keep Kenwright as chairman and a nominal shareholder.

Instead of offering Moyes an open cheque book they would offer him the ability to add to his squad in a more meaningful and constructive way than what has been available to him in recent years, this would keep the harmony of the squad and the managers feet on the ground.

I very much doubt we will see the spending style of Man City, or the wreckless spending of the Raniere years at Chelsea, certainly not under this Scotsman.

William Dunne
7   Posted 25/05/2009 at 23:27:32

Who's Black Bill?
Robert Jones
8   Posted 26/05/2009 at 01:36:09

That would be Kenwright, some genius decided that calling him black bill instead of Blue Bill was funny, oh dear
Mark Stone
9   Posted 27/05/2009 at 10:32:37

"a man with no connection to the club, area or fans would seem strange to me"

But Reidy doesn’t really fit the bill there, does he?!

Also, I don’t think Moyes is the type to go out and buy every Tom, Dick and Harry, regardless of the funds he has available.

Either way, won’t happen.