Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Strachan Resigns

I have just read on the BBC Football site that Gordon Strachan has resigned from Celtic.

They are bound to come knocking at our door with Davey being an ex-hoop and the attraction is obvious. Here's hoping that he resists but it is a worry... hasn't he said he would consider Celtic if they came in for him?
Russ Kavanagh, E Port     Posted 25/05/2009 at 14:17:42

Comments

Tony Sinclair
1   Posted 25/05/2009 at 17:33:45

Yea it has been said he would consider the Celtic job, but at end of the day he is under long-term contract even if he is tempted. However, let's play a game... if he does go who would you want (realistically) to replace him? I'm going to say Martin Jol.
John Otway
2   Posted 25/05/2009 at 17:39:39

Tony Sinclair. I’m going to say you’re insane.
Tony Sinclair
3   Posted 25/05/2009 at 17:49:59

Banter
Alan Clarke
4   Posted 25/05/2009 at 17:57:10

Perhaps this time last year, Moyes would have considered it. If he does go I see Strachans’s main rival has won the SPL so Walter Smith anyone?
Paul Walsh
5   Posted 25/05/2009 at 17:56:02

Tony that has merit.
Simon Dixon
6   Posted 25/05/2009 at 17:54:53

Celtic cant afford him. There is no way Celtic could afford DM's wages. The SPL is a poor league. I can't imagine Moyes looking forward to the match away to Hamilton Accies and the likes of Falkirk, when he could be looking forward to the mighty Burnley or Manure.
Nick Entwistle
7   Posted 25/05/2009 at 18:09:40

Oh Simon, I was waiting for the highlights tonight to see who made it through the play offs... couldn't go to the pub as I?ve waited in all day for an oven to arrive... jeez!
Alan Clarke
8   Posted 25/05/2009 at 18:29:02

Nick, it was a 10-goal thriller too!
John Martin
9   Posted 25/05/2009 at 18:50:39

Birmingham managed to attract Rangers’ previous manager away from the SPL, so why on earth would Moyes consider taking over at Celtic when he is at Everton. A load of wishful thinking by the Bhoys
Jonathan Bradley
10   Posted 25/05/2009 at 19:01:43

If he did go to Celtic (which is by no means a given, yes he is an ex-hoop but they have just got rid of Strachan because he didnt win the league for the fourth time in a row) I would like to see someone like Martinez get our job.
Marc Williams
11   Posted 25/05/2009 at 19:32:47

I think Alan Clarke has called this one right.
If they’d come in for him last summer when he was having his ’wobble’ I think he’d have jumped at the chance.

If he has a chance to keep our current squad together with a realistic chance of two quality additons this summer then WHY ? would he go. Celtic are way below where we are now in terms of quality, they are in a ’mickey mouse league’ and will be out of their depth in the CL.
However, I guess the ball is as always in our chairmen’s court, lets hope we’ve got the ambition to move onwards & that our manager is still convinced we can.
Tom Campbell
12   Posted 25/05/2009 at 20:10:47

It would be a massive step down
James Smith
13   Posted 25/05/2009 at 20:15:11

Celtic couldn’t afford his wages or the compensation to buy him out of his contract.
Keith Glazzard
14   Posted 25/05/2009 at 21:02:33

Honour and integrity come into this. Moyes has made no doubt of the fact that he regards Scotland as his home and will return there one day. Now? Most unlikely.

Loads of money comes into it too and Celtic would have to buy out his contract to get him. But that process only begins when he says he wants to go. It's not never, but it's not now.
Rory Macpherson
15   Posted 25/05/2009 at 21:20:00

Celtic are not a poor club, they have 60,000 fans & made millions in profit over the last few years! How would Celtic be a step down with Champions League football next year? The Europa Cup is a joke. Moyes can't take Everton any further. His best bet is to do well in the Champions League with Celtic; he can always go back to a bigger club in England later in his career.
Brian Williams
16   Posted 25/05/2009 at 21:27:14

I think you should change the subject!!!
Rory Macpherson
17   Posted 25/05/2009 at 21:28:06

John Martin, get your facts right. Alex Mcliesh left the SPL & Rangers years before he went to Birmingham. He left the Scotland team after an unsucessfull qualifiying campaign as he wanted a club team again with regular day to day work.
Ryan Holroyd
18   Posted 25/05/2009 at 21:44:01

David Moyes won't be going to manage a team in a micky mouse league like the Scottish League. End of.
Rory Macpherson
19   Posted 25/05/2009 at 21:47:59

It's not a Mickey Mouse league! We have 6 teams in Europe next season. We finished 6th in the European co-efficient last season and have had teams in the Champions League last 16 3 years out of the last 4.

Money is DESTROYING the Premier League, all your core mid-table teams are being relegated into an abyss which they can't recover from because of the difference in money. Half the teams in the Premier League next year will be mickey mouse teams, ha ha.

And Mcliesh left the SPL because he was being replaced as Rangers manager by Paul Le Guen who had just won 3 in a row with Lyon, Champions of France, he left them to go to the SPL. The english totaly underate the SPL ? your all daftys.
Nick Harding
20   Posted 25/05/2009 at 21:33:46

Rory, Celtic may not be a poor club, but they are a massive step down from Everton. Yes, they play in the Champions League and make loads of money because of it. Problem is they?re not good enough for the Champions League and only qualify because there is no serious competition in the Scottish League. As a result you can?t attract top players because every week is a non-event unless they?re playing Rangers. Whilst Everton are playing Manchester United, Celtic play those titans of the footballing world St. Mirren.

Everton v Arsenal, Celtic v Falkirk, Everton v Chelsea, Celtic v Kilmarnock. Then comes the big scottish cup clash against Brechin or Cowdenbeath. Even an English League One side would do well in the SPL and for a manager like Moyes it wouldn?t be a challenge. Top 2 every season, GUARANTEED.

If he goes, he?s an idiot and deserves to be bored shitless every week watching his completely average Celtic team thrash a decidedly less than average St Johnston or Hamilton Academicals team.

Stuart Reid
21   Posted 26/05/2009 at 00:50:07

Let’s be honest here. Celtic are one of the biggest clubs in world football, despite being in a comparatively uncompetitive league. It is bit like Ajax or Porto, PSV or Benfica - would you say these clubs are a massive step down from us? You only have to watch Moyes’ interview on Inside Sport - when he was at Celtic he could have gone on loan to Arsenal but believed it would be a step down. Arsenal.

I don’t think some people are quite understanding the emotions of a person’s hometown club. Even if logically Everton would be a better option, the idea of managing Celtic might still tempt him.

Also, at the moment the big four clubs in England might not consider Moyes because he hasn’t won anything. A few years gathering league titles, cups and Champions League experience might elevate him to a position to be Sir Alex’s successor. Come on, even we point to Moyes’ trophy record sometimes to doubt his ability.

However I hope he stays.
Joe McMahon
22   Posted 25/05/2009 at 17:17:16

Just got back in from a localish pub (8 miles away) from Burnley watchin them win today. I've had a few sherberts so I hope this makes some sense. Until I moved to this end of Rosendale, nearer Burnley, I hadn't know the full value of the football team to the town. One thing that has hit miss this season. Owen Coyle ? How have they done so well this season, with no big name stars, no egos. Small squad winning admirers on the way, 61 games, and football played on the ground. 33 years since they were last in the top flight.

It got me thinking, maybe the Scot thing is a coincidence, but how everything seems so parallel to Everton at the moment under our Davd Moyes. I see Sky are already linking Moyes & Coyle to the vacant Celtic job, there is no way either of these managers would leave their clubs for that position. They are building a reputation in sound quality clubs. Yes, I've had a few drinks... but after watching one Wembley win today, I'm hoping I see another one on Saturday ? C'MON YOU BLUES!

Jamie Crowley
23   Posted 26/05/2009 at 01:56:53

I’m am secondly a Celtic supporter and logged on to see what the reaction was, as I’m scared to death Moyesy will be off to the other Grand Ol Team.
It’s not as far fetched as some think. Moyes is a Bhoy. Celtic v Falkirk? Yes. Also don’t forget or underestimate your just as likely to see Celtic v. Barcelona, or Celtic v. Real Madrid... Champions League is quite a lure.
Celtic has not had a love in with Strachan. He’s been very successful, but does not play the Celtic way. Moyes would be welcomed with huge open arms, and I can see them breaking the bank to get him.

I hope I’m completely off and he stays. But this has much more merit I think than some are giving it. The SPL is admittedly not the EPL, but Celtic is a huge club and Moyes loves them. And more importantly, they would love him in return - trust me on that one.

I personally would not be as gutted as most here if he went, but I hope to God he stays.

This has some possibilites I think....
Maybe just the possibility he could leave might open some folks eyes that he is a massive asset to Everton, and he should be apprecitated to the maximum degree.
Put it this way, the entire family of Celtic FC would lay palms at his feet on his way into Glasgow....
Gordon Blair
24   Posted 26/05/2009 at 11:16:46

Worst comes to the worst and Davie decides to go (which I believe is unlikely)... We nail Celtic for as big a compo payment as we can get and look around.

Someone has already suggested Jol (who, let's not forget took Spuds to within a dodgy curry of the Champion?s League, got sacked, and the team imploded) ? not a bad suggestion, but I?d be tempted by Roy Hodgson, another manager who seems to understand how to take a team with limited resources up the league, buy well (and cheaply), play decent footie, and he isn?t a complete and utter tosspot.

I think it?s all academic, and would be very surprised and a little gutted if it happened, but I think Hodgson would be an adequate replacement, and he?d be keen to come to the next top 4 club (and FA Cup Winners to boot). ;-)

Gordon Byrne
25   Posted 26/05/2009 at 22:50:58

Lads, almost anybody who posts on this excellent site could steer Celtic to the top 2 in the SPL... as for the CL would you like to see your team outplayed every game, well unless Rosenbourg are in the group! Let's enjoy our day on Saturday and watch Phillis lift the cup! CYOB!