Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Saturday

Last time we won the FA Cup I was 16 years young and danced around the room with my Dad in pure joy. Just to add to the glee, my Man Utd Godfather came round for dinner the following evening. Needless to say he was greeted by a host of Everton scarves. My Dad's not here anymore and I'll be watching it half way round the world in Manhattan next to an expat Chelski fan. Evokes happy memories of 15 years ago, can't wait for Saturday. Cmon you Blues!!

Hopefully we'll win it for the Everton kids of today and in 15 years time when they're knocking on for 30, they'll be looking back with a wry smile. Let's have a few more trophies before then though!!
Dan Parker, New York     Posted 28/05/2009 at 12:19:14

Comments

Robert Jones
1   Posted 28/05/2009 at 17:47:49

My first final in memory, I was 2 in the 95 cup final, I’m getting excited as hell now. Hopefully I’ll be repeating your actions at 16 come saturday evening
Dan Parker
2   Posted 28/05/2009 at 18:43:56

Let’s hope so Robert!!
David Denby
3   Posted 28/05/2009 at 19:13:27

Was ?lucky? enough to get to Wembley in 85 and 86 only to see us lose twice after my mate had been in 84 to see us make Elton cry. Don?t worry, I?ll only be watching this from in the lounge so no bad omens. I?m taking tomorrow off to let the build-up sink in though. We are more than capable of beating them. We?ll certainly show a lot more fight and desire than those silly twats last night! Come on lads, we?re going to enjoy this thing, but more importantly, let's win it.

Nil satis nisi optimum. COYB!
Chris Keightley
4   Posted 28/05/2009 at 19:55:20

I too remember the 95 final well. I was at Wembley and celebrated so much I clashed heads with a steward and came round in a hospital near Waterloo 10 mins from the end!! Hopefully I will get to see a full game Saturday without any hiccups!!
Tony Sinclair
5   Posted 28/05/2009 at 20:45:52

You mention about memories with your dad, it's true how they come flooding back. I remember going to 95 with long lost relatives. Let's win it for those guys to!
Mark Jones
6   Posted 28/05/2009 at 20:53:34

This will be my 6th final: won 2 ? Watford and Man Utd. I try to forget the defeats and I am hoping we can make it 3 wins on Saturday to even things up. I am taking my 2 boys age 15 and 12 and hopefully this will be the first of many trophies that they see the blues pick up, COYB!
Dan Parker
7   Posted 28/05/2009 at 21:17:21

Too right Tony, they?ll be there Saturday, cheering us on with Dixie and Alan Ball!
Ian Trickett
8   Posted 28/05/2009 at 21:51:27

I wonder where is the furthest flung place fans are watching game from. I will be tuning in here in Southampton.
Christian Waldegrave
9   Posted 28/05/2009 at 22:05:00

I’ll be tuning in from Vancouver, Canada. It’s a 7am start so probably too early to crack open a beer, but hopefully I’ll have something to celebrate once the sun is over the yardarm!
Fran Mitchell
10   Posted 28/05/2009 at 22:19:42

Christian Waldegrave:

Its never too early to crack open a beer, especially for a cup final. Biggest game of the decade and your gonna have a cup of tea/coffe/orange juice.

My nerves are gonna be so wrecked I expect to take up smoking for a day.

So have a beer mate, will make the celebrations all the better.
Thomas Martin
11   Posted 28/05/2009 at 22:14:05

My first final was 1966 when I was 19 years old. My youngest son and I are STHs and he is18 and can?t remember the ?95 Final. He has endured some crap over the years whilst listening to me telling him stories of the Glory Years. I really hope, for him and his generation of young Blues that we can bring back the Cup on Saturday just for them!! They deserve it!
Tony Rice
12   Posted 28/05/2009 at 22:18:04

Christian..... I also live on the left coast ( Powell River )..... 7am may be too early for your "first" beer....
I may just do an all nighter and watch the pre-game starting @ 1am !!!!!!

I am so excited !!!! COYB !!!!!
Davin Janicki
13   Posted 28/05/2009 at 22:29:00

I’ll be watching from Boston, MA. Going to be up at 5am to watch the pre-game programming. Should have a nice buzz on by the time the match starts at 10am! COYB!!!
Graham Eaves
14   Posted 28/05/2009 at 22:35:38

Nice post Dan,

I was in born in ?76, been a Blue since ?82. I remember the Watford Final and running around the street(in Manchester, we?d just moved) kickin a ball about but no-one around as nobody gave a shite obviously!

Remember ?86 against Liverpool very well as that was the first time I?d ever cried over Everton, what made it worse was my Kopite Dad winding me up..... Sadly I haven?t got a ticket for this year but I?ll be a proud Blue whatever the score is.:-)

Jacqui Moore
15   Posted 28/05/2009 at 22:34:32

I will be going to Wembley on Saturday after missing out on a ticket in 1995,this one I defo could not miss out on. I remember the 1995 final after sleeping rough outside Goodison with thousands of fans trying to get a ticket. Walking home with my quilt and a big Dunc pillow crying cos I didn’t get one. I was 24 then 38 now and just thinking of the final is making me feel sick, excited and everytime i think of the atmosphere from the semi it brings a lump to my throat. I’ve said a few prayers to GOD and and I have promised him I won’t ask for anythink else again as long as EVERTON win on Saturday. COYB we can do it. Couldn’t go to any of the 80’S finals as mum & dad with five kids were always skint. COYB
Alexander Marsh
16   Posted 28/05/2009 at 23:33:40

Gonna be at the local pub in Ottawa, Canada with a few other Evertonians. It will 10:00am here, but I tell you, I will certainly be wide awake. Getting the champagne on ice and fireworks ready. COYB!
Mat Parks
17   Posted 28/05/2009 at 22:52:23

Dan - I was also 16 in ’95. My dad and I were at Wembley. A day I’ll never forget. Singing "always look on the bright side" to the Mancs and "going down are we fuck, lifting up the FA Cup" until my voice was gone. Magic. My dad saying it was the best day of his life, but to not tell that to my ma! My dad is also no longer with us, but he’ll be right there with me on Saturday. I know some will disagree, but win or lose, I couldn’t be prouder of our team than I have been this season. Not just for their performances on the pitch after a plague of injuries, but also the class and dignity which Moyes and his boys have displayed off the pitch. It’s a privilege to support this club.
Davin - I live in Boston, too. Where you watching it? Phoenix Landing? COYB FTRS (Forget the Red Shite)
Dan Parker
18   Posted 29/05/2009 at 00:06:36

Yep, beer and ’Irish Breakfast’ at 10am are the way forward. Hopefully I don’t have too many Friday night!
Dan Parker
19   Posted 29/05/2009 at 00:08:05

Couldn’t agree more Mat, I’ll be proud of our side either way. At least we’re still in something!!
Dick Fearon
20   Posted 29/05/2009 at 00:35:16

Perth Australia is the most isolated capital city in the world and over a hundred miles south of it at 11 pm I will be watching the final with my Evertonian son.
A further 300 miles south is Albany the last stopping off place before Antartica where another Evertonian son and two grandsons will be cheering for our team.
Sean Hooley
21   Posted 29/05/2009 at 00:26:05

I will be tuning in here in Melbourne Australia.... anyone else any further away? ;-) COYB!!!
Chad Schofield
22   Posted 29/05/2009 at 00:31:21

Love reading this sort of stuff! Whilst I wasn?t born in Liverpool, I?ve supported the team through a predominantly thin 27 years. FA Cup wise I remember the Watford (who I still have an irrational dislike for) final vaguely ? though I think I was making an Everton sign for most of the first half.

I certainly remember the tears the years after, especially when my Mum?s best friend?s husband (who got me into Everton in the first place) went with his son (unsurprisingly!), but my mum couldn?t afford it the year after.

I quit my part time job in ?95 as the assistant manager of the hotel I worked in said I couldn?t have the afternoon of even though I?d booked it, so that him exactly what I thought of the snide little prick and walked out.

Unfortunately, I just can?t afford to spend £400-500 on a ticket, still going to head down to London, but
realistically going to be in a pub ? Porters Lodge sounding good start at very least.

Just hope we do it... of course we can, we?re Everton ? I can?t wait til Saturday. COYB!!!

Steve Pendleton
23   Posted 29/05/2009 at 01:01:59

Good work Dick! Hopefully I will hear you guys go nuts from here in Perth, WA, when we lift the cup.
Rob Shaw
24   Posted 29/05/2009 at 02:02:39

Really heartfelt post and reminds all us ex-pat blues that we belong to a special group. I live in Vancouver (Hi Christian) and it?s easy to feel isolated until we read posts like this. I?ve gotten tired over the years of trying to explain the difference between EFC and the dark side. The patronising can wear thin very quickly.

My memory goes back to 66 and my stupid behaviour. I watched the final with my dad and match buddies. Sheffield?s second goal sent me into a funk and I took it out on the furniture. Dad was not amused and I stomped to my room in a strop. This of course meant that I missed us equalising much to everybody?s amusement. The episode has been brought up again this week in e.mails to those same friends and it?s moments like this that we treasure.

We never stop being Evertonians and the band wagon is for other supporters. Whatever the outcome we?ll remain "Blues" and I?m certainly putting something special in my cornflakes, 7 AM or not!

Paul Ankers
25   Posted 29/05/2009 at 02:14:18

Three generations of Evertonians will be watching here in Perth Australia. My dad was at the 1966 final, and is now 82 years old, he says Arteta is real class. We are all very very nervous but believe we are good enough to win the cup... COYB!!!!!!!!!!!
Doug Nestor
26   Posted 29/05/2009 at 03:03:21

Me and my 2 lads will be watching it in Victoria BC. We will most deffo be having our first beer around 6.30 am. I cant wait... this is the first final since the 80s that I haven't been there... but we're still gonna enjoy it... COYB.
Gerry Quinn
27   Posted 29/05/2009 at 03:08:25

Houston, Texas, on Fox Soccer Channel at 9am.
I’ll have a Stella or two watching it, so expect to be fast asleep on the couch by midday - hopefully as happy as a pig in...........
Russell Buckley
28   Posted 29/05/2009 at 04:02:29

Will be catching the game at 10:00pm in Brisbane, Australia. Planning on having a decent supply of Chang on hand, hopefully for celebrations rather than commiserations.
Gary Sedgwick
29   Posted 29/05/2009 at 03:50:27

Gerry,

Fellow Ex-pat Texan in Harlingen and I too hope to have a beer - but Stella? I have my Boddington’s on hand with the "widgie" inside. I look forward to pouring a nice, heady English brewski during the game. Then again, that may become two or three or however many...

Plus I just got Dishnetwork DVR. It is so cool - need to pee? Put it on pause, pee, come back and restart without missing a second of the match!

The wife won’t be happy though. She wants me to cut up a tree that got blown down by our recent weather - might have to wait until Sunday depending on the number of Boddie’s consumed!!

As for previous finals? I watched the ’84 one at home and jumped for joy after both goals and at the end. Mum had decided to go shopping and ergo Dad went too. On my own going bonkers but only 16 so no drunkeness.Abiding memory?

The ’85 final. Not because of the actual final but of what I went through to get there. Things were different back then as to how tickets were allocated. Out of the four of our group who regularly attended matches only I met the needs for initial ticket allocation. I remember my Dad driving me to the Lancaster train station so I could travel to GP. Tickets were on sale from the Bullens Road turnstiles from 5pm. I got there at 9am and was fifth in line. I stood / sat / fidgeted in line for 8 hours with no chance of leaving for a pee break. Thank God I had had nothing to drink from the time I got out of bed!

5:10pm and ticket in hand. Jubilation - I was going to Wembley for the very first time. I recall a policeman as I left saying, "Put that in your pocket and do not get it out again until you get home." It stayed put in my pocket. "Bizzies" didn’t / don’t get a good rap but I remember his words to this day. I got back to the local pub in Caton (orange juice only) and when I showed the regulars my ticket? I should have rememberd the Bizzie’s words!

My Dad and the other two members of our group managed to get tickets a fortnight later albeit in different areas of Wembley but back then it was easy to jump over the upper terracing so we all watched the game together. Memories indeed and I hope this weekend is the same.

COYB!
Gary Sedgwick
30   Posted 29/05/2009 at 04:37:21

Dan Parker,

I just worked out you were the same age as me when I can "clearly" recall the first time I witnessed Everton win the Cup! I was still 16 in 1984 and you were 16 in 1995. Good omens?

Please don’t tell me you can recall the ’84 victory!
Ed Bottomley
31   Posted 28/05/2009 at 16:03:57

I cannot wait for tomorrow! I'll be 3,000 miles away but there in spirit. Just please don't go to penalties! Here's my blog I wrote on the Times blog section:

John Maxwell
32   Posted 29/05/2009 at 06:52:04

Theres some big parties happening in Australia, I and around 30+ Evertonians will be packing out the Pig N Whistle English Pub in Brisbane... (Russell Buckley are you coming?)

The biggest party is being organised by ESCA (www.evertonfc.com.au) in Sydney they doing a live link up with Talksport and Radio Merseyside..

Come on Everton, lets win this bloody trophy !!
Albert Dock
33   Posted 29/05/2009 at 06:59:42

As a Member of Parliament I shall be watching the game on my 256" TV in my moat..
Russell Buckley
34   Posted 29/05/2009 at 07:04:36

John, was planning on going to the Indooroopilly Pig N Wistle for a viewing set up by my club, but if there is a bigger event in the City count me in. Better to watch the match with other Toffees.
Peter Pridgeon
35   Posted 29/05/2009 at 07:14:17

We have three generations watching here in Tauranga, New Zealand, The old man is 81and remembers far too much for the younger generation,

"yeah yeah granddad we’ve have heard all about Tommy Lawton before"

My two sons 20 and 16 will be watching with us, what an event...I cannot wait, I have been looking forward to this since we beat the shite, after that I never had a doubt.
Santosh Benjamin
36   Posted 29/05/2009 at 07:27:57

I live in India. Will be watching the game on Sony Pix at 7:30 PM with my wife,mum,sis and brother in law. Dad will be watching the game from Hamilton,NZ. We didnt have access to games on TV here in India in 1995 and so am relishing the thought of watching this one. Going to be singing ourselves hoarse. Like others on here, i am proud of the team no matter what the result...COYB
Martin 2 Berry
37   Posted 29/05/2009 at 08:13:51

I will be watching the Cup Final in Patong-Phuket, where this morning the Chang Beer garden, centrally located in a huge shopping mall,was bringing out the Everton banners and flags, all over the place.Wonderful to see and great for our global image.

COYB’S

Zack Yusof
38   Posted 29/05/2009 at 08:37:37

I’ll be tuning in to the match tomorrow from Malaysia. From a seat at Ronnie Q’s pub in Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur to be precise.

There will be loads of Chelsea there but who cares?!! It’s been a 14 year wait but something tells me that the wait is almost over...

By the way, does anybody know which team will be wearing blue tomorrow?
Rob Pursglove
39   Posted 29/05/2009 at 08:58:27

Zack,

We are wearing blue, Chelsea in all yellow.
Chris Lawlor
40   Posted 29/05/2009 at 09:09:18

We will be in glorious royal blue tomorrow mate. This thread is great and indicative of how Everton never leaves your soul no matter where you end up on this planet. We are a Everton!
Tim Wardrop
41   Posted 29/05/2009 at 09:37:21

Fortunately I’ll be watching the game from Block 121, row 11 at Wembley tomorrow, so the parties across the world will have to wait, bu fair play to all of you - it’s great to know there are people all over the globe who follow the Toffees.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Ste Lewis
42   Posted 29/05/2009 at 10:06:38

I was 15 in 95, visiting Wembley for the first time, unforgettable. An old man on the row behind celebrating so wildly on Rideout’s goal he ended up in tears next to me. Singing along to ’we are the champions’ as a disconsolate Schmeichel trooped off below us. Evertonians dancing on the roof of their hired minibus,people climbing through the ceiling vents onto the roof of our coach. The waves and cheers at the glum faces inside passing united coaches on the way home. Im not going tommorow but I hope its a day to remember for all the young Evertonians making their first trip. Come on!
Davey Thomas
43   Posted 29/05/2009 at 10:25:00

Anyone else feel a bit sick?! butterflies galore!!!!
Patty Beesley
44   Posted 29/05/2009 at 10:25:42

They will also be watching it in the Sports Bar in Honolulu, Hawaii. There last week and, imagine my surprise when they showed a 20 minute programme all about Everton much to my glee. Leapt across the bar singing "Everton, Everton" much to the amusement and cheers of a group of Yanks. Hopefully I managed to recruit a few!!
Paul Maguire
45   Posted 29/05/2009 at 11:16:34

I shall be watching from Wellington New Zealand. Taking the missus and the kids for a weekend away (from Wanganui) - cant settle at home - likely go to the Cambridge Hotel on Cambridge Terrace or any other boozer showing it - 2 am, God, so nervous , but not as nervous as 95 (or 86,89) cos these boys have the goods and we should be proud of them. EFC COYB
Paul Thompson
46   Posted 29/05/2009 at 12:16:22

Great thread. Does Edinburgh count as an ex-pat? Will be watching at home with my brother and Leeds supporting partner.

I was at the 66 final (aged 15), which I still vividly remember. The worst experience was a final no-one has mentioned - the 68 clash with West Brom. I was devastated because we had such a great team and were expected to win. As it turned out, we were awful - just never seemed to get going.

I won’t say I’m confident about the outcome tomorrow, but I am confident, that unlike the 68 team, we’ll give absolutely everything and make us proud. That is the hallmark of the Moye’s era.
Dan Parker
47   Posted 29/05/2009 at 14:37:49

Gary, unfortunately I can’t remember 84 but I still have my ’84 Panini sticker album!!
daniel Henshaw
48   Posted 29/05/2009 at 16:32:33

my only final of memory was the 95 final. i was 10 at the time and when the goal went in i leapt up and screamed "you fucking beauty" i spent the next 15 mins in my room until my mum convinced the old fella 2 let me out again!! good times COYB!
John Maxwell
49   Posted 30/05/2009 at 00:19:06

Hi Russell, drop me an email if you want. johnleemaxwell@yahoo.com.au, I will be in the pub for 9.30 tonight..