Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Proud

Excellent 3/4 of a season. Great cup run where we beat Man U & Liverpool and only got pushed out by Chelsea by 1 goal.

Could have been better but this is a young side on the up and to be where we are now feels good.

Have a good rest in the summer, boys, you have done us proud. Let's have 4/4 of a good season next year.
Tom Brown, London     Posted 30/05/2009 at 14:03:56

Comments

Michael Kenrick
They did us proud, but that's not what I feel. Sad, depressed, gutted. Definitely NOT proud. We could have won this... we should have won this. We didn't.
Andy Morden
1   Posted 30/05/2009 at 16:54:25

I hate that ?brave Everton? tag. I want to ram it down their fucking throats and take a trophy from under their noses. But we have fallen short. Gutted.
Robbie Murphy
2   Posted 30/05/2009 at 16:57:59

I agree Andy, its bollocks saying our day will come etc ? I wanted it to be our day today. Frank fucking Lampard... I absolutely despise the fucker.
Raymond Choi
3   Posted 30/05/2009 at 16:59:37

Ah well. I hope I don?t have to wait another 14 years to see the boys in the Final (weeping.......)

Surely this showing must make Moyse seriously think about reinforcing the right hand side, if he isn?t already. Osman and Hibbert are just not good enough to take us to the next level. I was surprised it took this long for some team to exploit that.
Kevin Sparke
4   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:06:16

What really pisses me off about this defeat is we never played at all like the team of the last 3 months of the season ? it was like we reverted to the fucking kick-and-rush side of 2006.

I?m sick... I?m gutted... I?m really not happy

We will learn from this ? though, we need a right back and more cover up front.
Callum Wilson`
5   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:09:46

Gutted beyond belief. First final I can remember and didn't expect to be soo pissed off and angry. DEVASTATED...
Paul Olsen
6   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:10:14

So it was not to be...

Gutsy performance, but sadly outstaged against a better team today. Commitment was all good and we gave it our best so no pointing at anyone today.

Our fall today came due to passing quality which we sorely missed today, chasing possesion drained us.

Steven Pienaar, magnificent yet again! What a gem he is. If we only had a few more artists like him on the ground today. Everything dangerous we managed came off this left side.

Marouane Fellaini also had a great game today in my view. Very assured with the ball and top notch in the air in the first half.

The rest, wanted it but came a bit short. Lescott and Hibbert struggled. Joleon really needs to improve his touch and concentration on the ball.

Davie Moyes, tried the right things i thought and got his substitutions right.

Now just don?t make me wait 14 more years for the next shot at glory.COYB!
Andy Morden
7   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:12:42

I am gutted, but I am not up for dissecting the game at the moment. I am very drunk and I am off out to get over it. We all share the pain, but I think we need to save ?solving the problem' for another time. Some may disagree but hey. Fellow Blues, we stand united, but until next time, fare ye well...
Paul Coleman
8   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:20:30

I agree Michael, we can play much better than that, but yet again showed them too much respect. It was the same with Man U and we were lucky to get through that game. I was reduced to tears when I saw Arteta stood there at the end. God only knows what was going through his mind.
Jason Broome
9   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:23:57

You don’t have to have a winners medal to be Champions.

I just want to say Thank You to the team, David Moyes and Blue Bill for a wonderful day regardless of the end result. We over achieved this season so a cup final win was always going to be a huge ask.

You learn more from your defeats than ever will your victories so I am certain that if we stay true to the course we WILL be back!

Bring on the Transfer market and bring on the new season.

Still Proud, Still Blue? Forever Everton!
Robbie Murphy
10   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:15:40

Saha?a header was our chance. However great season 5th in league and a cup final to build on. The fans were terrific again today, surely someone with loadsa money can see what a great club we are with great fans and a proud tradition. We?ll be back, this is only the start of something great. Well done David Moyes and all the squad. Thank you all for a memorable season, only 77 days to the start of next season!!
Cameron Hamilton
11   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:23:44

A hack of a player, and a very poor Australian commentator, Craig Foster, tonight suggested Tim Cahill should leave Everton to progress his football career. It made me sick.

Foster has probably watched one Everton game all season. His inference was that Everton were heading nowhere. So wrong it?s not funny.
John Pickles
12   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:07:09

You get what you pay for! We were outclassed, hard work and persistance only get you so far, the passing was piss poor, thank God we didn?t make the Champions League... imagine drawing Barca.

The booking stopped Hibbo from putting another tackle in, Osman, as always, waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of his depth against a sky 4 team, a killer cross from the Chelski left was only a matter of time. And please, don?t anyone ever again speak of Tim Howard and Big Nev in the same breath, any half decent keeper should have saved Lampard?s winner!

Great season, best for a long time, thank you Davie Moyes another award well deserved, hope you stay and get given the money to push us forward ?cos there?s still a country mile to go to fourth.

Robert Jones
13   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:24:41

How the fuck did we overachieve? We had a bad start to the season and then got back to where we should be by the end, we?re easily the 5th best side in the league.

On the match, I?m devastated, none of our players really turned up except for Fellaini and Saha, even Pienaar was weak, Hibbert was awful, Osman once again was terrible, Baines was weak for the first time in a while, I could go on but I won't.

But this isn?t it for Moyes and his men, onwards and upwards and hopefully we?ll be back Next year.

In Moyes we trust, COYB!!
Stephen Stuart
14   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:27:09

Well. At half-time, Chelsea had 271 passes to team mate; Everton 91

At full time Everton had had 1 shot at goal (the goal).... reflects Everton?s style under the managership of David Moyes.

Everton completely outplayed and out manouvered by a slick Chelsea outfit that was light years ahead of the Blues. Some call it progress....Hopefully Celtic will be calling soon for one of Britain?s finest.
Will Leaf
15   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:14:55

Gutted, Gutted, Gutted.

Unfortunately they outfought us, and they seemed to have more desire, and that is where we really needed to shine. We left them far too much space far too often. Was hot out there, though.

They knew our weaknesses and targeted Hibbo for termination. And was Ossie even on the pitch? They hobbled Fellaini with a pretty bad foul. And, maybe I?m a bad judge of goalies, but rarely have I seen a player in Howard receive so much praise in the press, and not see it myself.

But enough of the recriminations. Excellent season, and it will be a very interesting summer. Can?t wait for next season... new blood and our army of players coming back from injury.

COYB
Robbie Murphy
16   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:33:41

Message removed. Same for anyone else taking out their frustration on other Evertonians... Zero tolearance today for any abuse. Thank You. ? The Editor
Jason Broome
17   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:30:55

Some of you lot are talking like it’s the end. Our squad is young, the summer is long, our players are even more hungry than before and believe it or not we have finally found the way to a cup final!

We lost but so did Man Utd. Is Sir Alex sitting at home feeling sorry for himself... no! He’s planning an arse-tearing for next season... so should we.

Without a doubt Hibbert needs replacing and Osman too but that is what the summer is for, as for now I am grateful that we have improved over the highlight of a Semi-Final last season to showcase a final this one!
Neil Bollard
18   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:34:32

I think Moyes may leave now... if Kenwright does not give him the backing. He?s tasted it to day, and will want more???
Neil Pearse
19   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:32:59

Incredibly disappointed. But actually proud still. Without our three best players, the gap between us and one of the rich teams was not huge but was just too much today.

They brought Ballack off the bench, we brought Gosling... How many of our players today would have got into their team? Lescott maybe instead of Alex? Probably not. So none.

Thought Moyes got it pretty well right. We burst out of the blocks, and I didn?t think we stood off them too much and indeed were having a good spell in the second half when they scored. Neville was assigned to nullify Lampard - and he did a fantastic job, except he got away from him just once. Lampard is a world class player, so it was going to be hard to never give him a sniff.

Saha should have scored a second, and Howard should stopped Lampard?s - so the distance between us was not huge. Pienaar, Neville and Fellaini take the plaudits for me today. Baines also put in a good stint. And, yes, Osman was poor. I think Hibbert was wrongly booked and that seemed to do for him.

Patently we need at least three new £8M plus players, all in midfield or wide, to really move on. Neville can go back to RB with Hibbert / Jacobsen as understudies if we get in some more midfield.

So not very far away. But not there yet either. A good season though, and we were as class and dignified at the end as we were the whole season.
Adam Bennett
20   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:44:34

I am sooo gutted about that result. Fat Fucking Frank needs to piss off. But, as well as being gutted, I am proud of our lads. With the injures we have had and the lack of funds we have had a miles better season than teams who get money such as Villa and City and even Spurs. So well done lads can hopefully only get better from here.
Danny Lizars
21   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:47:34

Was Osman at the game today?
Jason Broome
22   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:43:36

Outclassed?

Of course we were. Was that not the same Chelsea team that outclassed Barcelona only to lose to in injury time. Was that not the same Chelsea side that lost last years Champions League Final by a split second slip by John Terry?

Put things into perspective. Including Man Utd and Barcelona, Chelsea are most likely the 3rd best team on the planet.

It was always going to be tough, so we should walk away with our heads held high, learn from this day, regroup and come back stronger for next season!

COYB!
Danny Lizars
23   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:48:17

Well done Everton! I know we didn't win but having to watch the build-up to the game today (couldn't get a ticket) it just made me proud to be an Evertonian! Let's try and go one further next season! COYB!
Mike Reynolds
24   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:47:15

Can’t help but think we looked the gift horse in the mouth today. 1-0 up and I expected us to dig in and show real fight in the first-half - we needed to get to the break with the lead. For some reason we just couldn’t and we didn’t look like the side that we have looked like - having said that I thought we were on top just before they scored (how many times do Chelsea do that to us).

Brave maybe, but just not the performance I have come to expect. Future cup finals are not assured, but now we have to go back to our short comings and improve. Despite the loss, we need this to be the start of us pushing on again and I really hope it is.
Dan Parker
25   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:47:40

The difference for me was when we had to bring on kids against world class players. I knew as soon as we brought Vaughan and Gosling on, we were grasping at straws. Slagging off the team, players or manager is just plain wrong. As Tim said, we have an incredibly small squad with our 3 best players out with injuries. No excuse and we do need to get a bigger squad. What really did make me proud today is the Everton fans, they were amazing as always.
Jason Broome
26   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:56:04

One thing I learnt today was that Lars Jacobsen has a future at Everton. We should not be so quick to let him go.
Dan Parker
27   Posted 30/05/2009 at 14:42:36

Extremely proud to be a Blue today. An FA Cup final played with class, no malice and a good game to match. Absolutely gutted at the result but it was a fair one, Chelsea were simply the better team on the day.

One thing I'd like to say is I'm extremely proud of our boys today, Moyes, Blue Bill, the whole team ? complete class with the upmost dignity. You could see how much it meant to Tim Cahill afterwards and they really did deserve to win something this season. We end up with no silverware but a team and season I'll remember for a long time. "All Together Now".

Brett Bradshaw
28   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:48:28

Great season, better than I could have expected even without the cup final! But..

Start preparing for next season now.

We need to keep hold of our best players first and foremost and second, get our injured contingent back asap.

Third priority is to grow the size of our squad, using a mix of quality signings, some bosmans and some promoted youth.

Fourth, we need to get our right sided partnership as good as our left. Baines and Pienaar are perfect and it would be all the better if we could get someone in on the right who could switch to the left too.

Anyone else think Arteta could move back on to the wing? There is no doubt his best position is in the middle but we have enough personnel to fill that void and NONE for the right. To my mind it would only be a stop gap though as I don’t think he is quite quick enough for a permanent winger.

Onwards and upwards folks!
Tom Brown
29   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:40:32

I?m dissapointed but the thing is.... I don?t feel like it will be 14 years till our next chance.

We have suffered a difficult 14 years together but for some time there has been a definite sense of us building something. This seemed to go wrong for the first quarter of this season, but we have come back from that stronger than before.

Our style of play is improving. Our tactical options are improving. Depth of quality, athleticism and spirit are improving. A good share of the team are young and improving. No need to panic and replace ageing players (except possibly strikers with Yakubu hitting 33 in real years) so we can use our limited funds to improve and not simply stop decline. We continue to be a team on the upward curve. This will not be our last chance of silverware or our last chance to break the Sky 4.

I would also like to say, I believe the team that beat us today are currently probably the best in the world. They were robbed against Barcelona and they should possibly be now holding the Champs League crown. Much of that team are passing the peaks of their careers, so Chelsea have much work to do to maintain or improve over the next 3 years. They did not embarrass us. As others pointed out, we could have won it today. Gutted but happy that the sense that we are going somewhere continues to build.

As I said: Well done lads. Have a good rest. Kick on next year.
Gavin Johnson
30   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:51:40

Everything about Chelsea just disgusts me, from that E17 wannabe John fucking Terry to that twat Fat Frank fucking Lampard. Money won't buy you history or tradition, cunts! COYB
Al Reddish
31   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:57:12

I think today showed our limitations on our right side, though Jacobsen did a decent job when he came on. I am dissappointed but I still think this is only the start of something great for us. We would have certainly been more of a force up front with Arteta and the Yak, and I think Jags would have spotted the danger from Fat Frank and gone right through the pansy twatted fucker. At the end of the day, our small squad and injuries to the 3 main players (excluding Cahill) seemed to be our downfall.
Jamie Crowley
32   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:01:39

Very disappointed. We reverted to hoofball often. At stretches we remembered how to keep in on the carpet, but all to often... smash!!! In the air from the back line inaccurately and mindlessly hoofed....

Positive: Big Fell. Thought he was fantastic. He’s going to develop.

Still a great season, and this team, under Moyes, is moving in the right direction. Very, very upbeat about next season.

Proud and happy despite the result.
Paul Columb
33   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:59:56

Proud...yes....always. Gutted...yes....we all are.
Felt from seeing the team sheet from the offset that we would be crucified down our right. The warning signs have been obvious especially over recent games and disappointed that DM didn’t place more faith in Jacobsen with a starting place. Not a day to slag any of the lads off but we also need to reflect on our weakness to build for next season. This may sound ridiculous, but I would have loved to see Jose Baxter on for 10 minutes.............
Gerry Western
34   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:10:30

Tony Marsh called it perfectly: Osman and Hibbert were truly awful today. As a result we were on the back foot for the whole of the first half. Little wonder Cole and Malouda were candidates for MotM awards. I really couldn?t see any way back once they equalised.

The sad thing is we played one up front to accommodate Osman, rendering our attack toothless. Have to say the others gave everything. Fellaini was outstanding as was Pienaar but I?m afraid you cannot afford to carry passengers at this level and in that heat.
Jim Slade
35   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:11:24

Chelsea exploited our weak right-hand side; Hibbert and Osman, they got found out today. Our weakness was our downfall. They are not good enough for a team wanting to finish top 4.

A lot of people on here will deny it, but they are all probably Liverpudlians supporting the local lads and that's amicable but short-sighted. Osman has to be a squad player next season if we improve and Hibbert 2nd choice right fullback at best.

Dan Parker
36   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:12:29

Can’t argue with picking Hibbert and Osman, you’d think the lifelong supporters would raise their game and I can’t fault Moyes for giving them the opportunity. Maybe it was just too much to ask on the day....
Tom Brown
37   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:12:29

Gerry Western.

It is a simple truth that in any group of people, you will be able to pick out people who are weaker than the others. This does not make them bad people. If you replace them with stronger people, this does not mean you no longer have any "weakest people in the team" it just means the weakest people have changed.

Yes, for where we are going, we probably need to bring in players that will push Hibbert and Osman to the status of squad players. But no, this does not mean we should get on the backs of Hibbert and Osman.

Sorry if this sounds like an over-reaction to your post. You roused memories of the nasty suff previously published by Mr Marsh.

Phil Roberts
38   Posted 30/05/2009 at 17:43:01

Michael - I am proud of my team. The only time a Sky 4 has not won the cup since the Premier League started was Pompey last year when they played Cardiff and us in 95. For all those other matches when a non-Sky 4 was there it was a non-event. Today we were 2nd, but not by a lot.

Yes, they were the better team. I screamed "too early" when Saha scored. From then until they equalised, we froze ? or was it when they made it 1-1 they took their foot off the pedal.

We had two problems, we lost possession in the tackle too much and our first touch and second and third touches meant that we did not play our football like we can.

Stephen Stuart ? watch the match next time before you said we only had one shot on target ? there was more. Don?t let an anti-Moyes bias get in the way of the facts.

At the end there was Gosling, Vaughan, Rodwell and Baxter standing watching. I hope they were saying ? I want this even more now. We will be back - better and stronger.

But the more this becomes a money thing the less chance we have. I reckon our team cost £45m and they have just lost out on a bid of that much for Ribery.

As fans we have a problem ? we love this club. Bill loves this club and don?t anyone believe he does things which are not for the best interest of the club, but do we want to turn it over to a chairman who treats it as a plaything. If we do then we can have a Hicks/Gillet, a Glazier, a rich Arab, a corrupt Thai politician, a Russian Oil Billionare ? but see how the real fans of those clubs love the owners they have. So which do we want to complain about? The owner or his lack of money.

So another season over - another step forward. David said it, semi last year, runners up this. I faxed Joe Royle on May 9th 1995 - about 3 minutes after the result with Ipswich which meant survivial. It was on his desk for when he got back. He wrote back and said thanks but let?s hope next year we are talking about Championships and Cup-Winners Cups. He thought we had turned the corner - but mixing the metaphors - it was a false dawn.

We should take huge pleasure in that now we are frustrated that we are not winning things... who 10 years ago could only see us going bankrupt and to the old League 2.

Yes I am very proud of my team. I am not embarrassed by them like I was. I will hold my head up high on Monday. I thought it was one of the best football finals for many years and the true Red (as opposed to a plastic one) with whom I watched it really enjoyed it as a match. A few more breaks and we could have stolen it. Ah well....

So thanks everyone. Thanks for another great year - another year of emotional turmoil. Thanks for the high blood pressure from the possible of achievement. I love you and I am so proud I can support you.
Nick Dommett
39   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:25:03

We tried out best ? it just wasn?t good enough. End of.

But don?t worry: next season we will come good.
Tom Brown
40   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:22:19

By the way.... I?m not totally convinced by the Big Fella yet.

I like him and like having him in the squad and have no problem with the fee (the real one). However, he is young and has some way to go before he will develop into a player who fits the style of play that we want to play and does it well enough to be doing it in a team pounding down the door of Sky 4.

Dont get me wrong. He has done good stuff this year. Playing out of position (maybe? not sure where he really should be?) in his first Premier League season with no pre-season to gel with the team and as one so young.... but he would not be in my first 11 for next year... and I hope he is not in our first 11 until his game has moved on.

Thanks Big Fella. See you again soon.
Dan Parker
41   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:26:12

Great post Phil
Michael Kenrick
42   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:22:43

Moyes was always going to start with Hibbert and Osman, who could both have had a completely different game and been crucial in a victory. But a yellow card after just 8 minutes put paid to that and for me was the turning point in the entire game. It too another 13 mins before Hibbert gave Malouda the freedom of the park and the script was written from that point, sadly.

About this "proud" shit... I’m proud to be an Evertonian... ALWAYS proud.

Proud of the boys? Seems it’s what people say when we loose... never when we win ? have you ever heard anyone say, "We walloped Sunderland 7-1 and it really made me proud to be an Evertonain"? Never.

It’s only said when we lose... which is why I abhor it so much.
Tom Brown
43   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:33:32

Michael,

I only say I?m proud when I mean it.

I think I would have said it today if we would have won. In fact, I KNOW I would.

I think it is said more often in defeat because in victory it is taken as an unspoken given. When you lose you need to examine things a bit more and think....is there something to be ashamed of here....

I took that second look today and found that there was nothing to be ashamed of. Plenty to be proud of.

Just to annoy you:
Proud proud proud proud proud proud proud proud proud proud
:- )
Deepak Gidwani
44   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:25:45

Once step at a time.. We are moving forward slowly but steady!

COYB! We’ll get there eventually!

I’m proud of my boys!
Gerry Western
45   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:29:33

Tom,
People have a right to disagree with Tony but he nailed it with his prediction. We were cruelly exposed down the right and it cost us dearly. You could see the belief in the side ebb away with every attack down the left. It’s not a case of looking for scapegoats the fact that Moyes ultimately subbed both players is testament to the fact.

We need to replace both Osman and Hibbert there is no escaping that fact. You rightly state that there would still be weaknesses with in the team however we would at least be less weak and consequently stronger.
Danny Lizars
46   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:40:30

Why are you getting on peoples backs for being proud?

Yes we lost and there were a few players that maybe could of played better. But we got to the FA Cup Final! An for that im PROUD! COYB!
Paul Columb
47   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:30:42

Dunno Michael... the proud thing I mean. Always proud... yes... just to be an Evertonian. But truly proud when we show up... and with class; on the field, playing it on the ground, really pulling together as a team, the players commentary on how they feel for the club, the dogged determination of our Cahills, the fans, the fans, the fans.

I care less about the result than how we show up. Less proud when we don?t show up; this year?s derby at Goodison, the weeks of hoofball, the pathetic propaganda machine surrounding Kirkby. Proud when we treat our heritage with the respect it commands.

Tom Brown
48   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:43:39

Hi Gerry,

I think nearly everyone accepts that the first team needs to be improved in that area.

The problem with Tony?s post (and your support of it) was that he chose to lay in to them one week before the final. What possible good could that do?

The window was closed, so we couldn?t buy anyone. There was little alternative in the existing squad - so why lay into them then... and worse... why add the odd insult, which they certainly didnt deserve...

His "prediction" was nothing of the sort. He pointed out the blatantly obvious - Our right side is the weakest part of our team and if we were to lose then that is most likely the point Chelsea would find to break through. Everyone knows that. No great genius there.

But... Any side has its weak points relative to the rest of the side... and when you have no option available to strengthen the weak points in the week before the final, why expect the weak point to be strengthened? Why feel it justifies insulting the people who make up those weak points?
Michael Kenrick
49   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:47:53

Paul, I?m with you 100% on that synopsis... which is why I struggle applying that word to what I saw today: Far too much hoofball, not playing it with enough confidence on the ground... pathetic shooting from distance, giving them too much respect yet again...

Based soley on the way we played, it?s 5½ out of 10 on the Proudness scale, sorry to say.

Justin Widdop
50   Posted 30/05/2009 at 18:46:24

Did our best but they are the better team which has cost multiple more millions to build.

The truth about our team is:

Osman and Hibbert are not good enough at the top level and at best are squad players. A pacy right back and quality winger are vital signings.

Neville is a great captain and leader but is he good enough for a top 4 side in the middle of the park? I have my doubts.

Yobo is not in the same class as Jags.

We need a striker as back up for Yakubu.

The boys did their best and have achieved so much but to improve for next season we did to invest and make some quality buys in the right positions.
Dan Parker
51   Posted 30/05/2009 at 19:05:53

Didn’t see anyone moaning when Osman secured us 5th last week!!
Simon Kirwan
52   Posted 30/05/2009 at 19:08:03

I think if there is such thing as a "good" defeat, this is it. Que the onslaught... here's why

1) For once we wern?t cheated by a dodgy ref

2) Hibbert was totally exposed in a showing which Moyes cannot ignore, address this in the summer and we are going places

3) Fellaini was brilliant and brought composure today.

As for Osman, yes he was wank today but he was on right mid, he is a centre midfield. This is an issue which Moyes must surely adress, our right mid (pacy winger).

Mikel and Jags to be back next season and vast individual improvement from the boys, COYB.
Will Leaf
53   Posted 30/05/2009 at 19:05:21

Yes, there is a lot to be proud about.

I echo the above that Chelsea is a very hard team to beat. We will struggle against them, beyond the obvious reasons that they can afford anyone on the planet, because Chelsea can actually match us in the tackle.

And they play a very clever game. I do not think it coincidence that our 3 most effective players, Tim, the Big Fella, and Pienaar were all carrying knocks by the end of the game. Chelsea got the rub of the green early on with Hibbo carded for what was not even a foul, and Essien got off with nothing after effectively taking Fellaini out of the game with an awful tackle. Note Ossie and Hibbert were never clattered into...Chelsea wanted them to stay on the pitch!

As an aside, does anyone have any vague idea how old The Yak really is? The 33 mentioned above is a bit worrying as a recovery from a torn Achilles is never easy...and at 33...Great for negotiating your contract, however, shaving 6-7 years off your age.
Ron Marr
54   Posted 30/05/2009 at 19:17:07

"we should have won this" ???

Are we talking about the Cup FInal? Nobody beats Chelsea today. In recent weeks Chelsea have won at Liverpool, Arsenal and also beaten Arsenal in the Semi Final. They would have beaten Barcelona and probably beaten Man Utd in the Champions League but for some dodgey calls by a psychologist from Norway.

Mat Jailes
55   Posted 30/05/2009 at 19:26:49

Did anyone else notice Moyes just before the final whistle? he looked as gutted as the rest of us. I was 5 at the last final so it was good to get there when I could appreciate what it meant... so gutted about the result though.

It's all progress, whatever the naysayers may say.

Andy Crooks
56   Posted 30/05/2009 at 20:09:28

When your team is a goal behind in an FA Cup Final, you would normally be hoping for as much additional time as possible. Today, I was praying for the final whistle. We were never going to score... in fact, we could have had a thumping. We were comprehensively outplayed. Why?

Well, today?s not the day for that but we treated Chelsea with the awe which we seem to reserve for the top four. Expected, but still very disappointing. Proud to have got there.... gutted at the performance.

Roberto Granelli
57   Posted 30/05/2009 at 20:09:45

Thanks Phil
Dignified and realistic.
It was painful, but the truth.
My only gripe, and I know it's childish, but does anyone in the country or the football world thinks that Drogba deserves anything apart from universal contempt?
Mike Price
58   Posted 30/05/2009 at 15:47:16

The only good thing to come out of that must be the glaringly obvious fact that Hibbert is completely out of his depth. Osman is too, and as usual is totally useless against anybody decent. I have never seen such a shockingly absent right-side of a team. Could they have given Malouda anymore fucking space!? I was screaming at Moyes, thinking 'am I the only one watching this', when it was as clear as day we were going to throw it away. The two of them are barely Championship players and I dont even want them as squad players,because when they play in any big game they will cost you.

Surely Moyes cannot pretend he didn't see that and he has to get rid...I know he always seems to take an age to learn any lessons...ball retention, passing on the floor, flair as well as work rate etc, but his persisting with Hibbert and Osman just cost us the cup final.

Dave Trudgeon
59   Posted 30/05/2009 at 16:20:00

If ever there was a game that proved Tony Hibbert and Leon Osman are not good enough players to make us a top 4 team this is it. They made Ashley Cole and Malouda look like absolute world beaters today.

Don't get me wrong Cole and Malouda are decent but in my opinion Chelsea are actually much stronger down the right with Anelka and Bosingwa, but I think Bainsey and Peanut did a good job on them.

I'm not a typical Hibbert and Osman basher, I think they are decent players, but that is it; 'decent' wont get us into the Champions League.

People will come on and say look at Osmans goals, but how many goals has Osman scored against top 10 teams? I can only think of Fulham. Hibbert and Osman are players who would look good in teams that finish between 7 - 14 in the league, I truly believe we have moved on from that and need to either sell the dead wood to buy better players or if we can afford it (we probably can't) keep them both and ONLY use them in extreme injury crisis.

We could probably get around £10 mil for the pair.

Chris Perry
60   Posted 30/05/2009 at 16:34:40

Today was another dream up in smoke, why? Simple

1) Osman. nowhere to be seen, right midfield!!!! he needs to go in the summer, he is simply not good enough.

2) Hibbert, he and Osman to blame for the first goal, simply put he is fucking shite! (By the way, have I said Osman is fucking shite or can you work that out! I would hope so...)

3) Jags. We missed him somehing chronic, Yobo and Lescott simply did not get to grips with the Chelski attack.

ps Osman and Hibbert, fucking shite.

Tom Bowers
61   Posted 30/05/2009 at 21:37:39

No excuses. The better team won and we know why they are a better team? Simple, One Ruskie Billionaire. However, we were in with a shout until Lampard scored, even if it went to penalties, such is the cup and nothing will take away from beating the redshite in the last minute.

There are a lot of plusses for next season ? Jags ,Yaks and Mikel back together with a more mature Rodwell, Gosling and Baxter. We have to offload some deadwood and hopefully add some new blood then perhaps we can start to outplay teams like Chelsea. An excellent season Blues and hopefully an even better one next season.

Brian Richardson
62   Posted 30/05/2009 at 22:24:13

Like everybody, I?m gutted.

I?m also extraordinarily angry ? not at Everton but at the wanker of a fan who sold me a counterfeit ticket. I wasn?t even planning to go to the game ? I had arranged to meet mates in a pub nearby.

However, an Evertonian then came up to me and said "Ere mate, do you want this ticket? My mate hasn?t turned up so you can have it for £100."

I foolishly took him up on the offer ? after asking him to promise me it was genuine.

If you?re reading this, YOU ARE A TOTAL WANKER AND A DISGRACE TO THE CLUB!
Denver Daniels
63   Posted 30/05/2009 at 23:06:43

How dissapointing! Not so much that we lost, but the way we lost. That was about as poor a performance that I can remember from a team in a final for a long time. Not that Chelsea where that great either, but then they didn’t have to be.

I guess that’s whats so frustrating. If we had only been slightly better, we could have easily beaten them. The gutting thing is they looked more up for it and showed more purpose going forward than us. We played like a team scared of losing rather than wanting to win. Shit, how many times did Cech actually have to do anything. We should have been camped in their box in the last 20 minutes, forcing blocks and last-ditch tackles, instead nothing. Feels like we handed it to them instead of them having to fight for it.

The right side was again exposed today, but then Baines and Pienaar weren’t that great today either. As mentioned before, Osman and Hibbert where found out yet again. Surely Moyes has to realise that all our play can’t be made from one flank only. I guess/hope he will be addressing this in the off-season.

Howard has to take some responsibility for their winner. I think he’ll rightfully feel he should have saved that one. Yobo and Lescott looked nervy all day, but I thought improved as the game went on, especially Yobo. Lescott was definately at fault for Drogba’s goal, if not wholely, then at least partly.

I thought Cahill and Fella did ok, but Neville was back to passing to anyone not wearing blue. Saha, great goal but f*all else.

Proud Evertonian, proud of the boys for a great season but definately not proud of the way we played yesterday.
Steve Roberts
64   Posted 30/05/2009 at 23:43:04

Tom Bowers, thanks for putting my sentiments into words.... i?m tempted to call the opposition overpaid southern cunts but unfortunately the sad truth is that they were better then us. Still proud of us tho.
Jimmy Royston
65   Posted 30/05/2009 at 23:43:43

Only one answer everyone. We were well beaten by a better team which simply proved that, while we have had a good season our "squad" is nowhere near good enough to compete long term with the money bags teams of the top four. Sorry but that is a cold hard truth.

Hard work & effort is just not good against class.... Let's all now relax, chill out and hope for some further improvement next time round... There is NO other solution in our individual hands, last close season's debacle proved that!!!

Nick Xenos
66   Posted 31/05/2009 at 00:23:38

I wonder how Chelsea would of got on if they were missing Drogba, Lampard and Terry because our equivalent were missing today. It’s ofcoarse dissapointing to lose after having come so far but i’m sure this will burn the players in the offseason. The ones that were involved yesterday, together with our injured brigade (and new signings), will return that much more determined next season, now that the club has had a taste of a final. Looking forward to next season already!
Rob Hollis
67   Posted 31/05/2009 at 00:46:45

Why all the abuse for Lampard who talks about us with some respect (unlike the RS) and is actually a very good player?

I would quite like him in our squad.
Brian Warimg
68   Posted 31/05/2009 at 01:21:30

Just got got back home from Wembley after a session with lads on the the piss. This might be the ale talking, but we were shite!!! What the fuck were the defenders doing when Lampard scored. Why were’nt they throwingt their bodies in the way for the cause? Why did Chelsea have so much space all over the park? Why is Osman so shite!!! Fellaini , I’ve said enough about him, but 15m euro, your having a laugh. Some of you lads will go on about how proud you are of lads today, one question , why?
Barry Kingham
69   Posted 31/05/2009 at 03:25:58

Brian... you?re right ? that's the ale talking.
Jason Broome
70   Posted 31/05/2009 at 04:17:27

Isn’t that the same Chelsea that reached the Champions League final last year and played Barcelona off the park and almost made it this year?

No shame in losing to them. We need to dust ourselves off and improve for next season.

Trust me it won’t be 14 years until the next final. I have a feeling next season is going to be awesome!
Vijay Nair
71   Posted 31/05/2009 at 06:20:38

Look... We were beaten far and square today. Kudos to Hiddink. He did his homework and took advantage of our weak links down our right flank, Hibbo and Ossie. Notice how they hardly attacked down our left flank where we have players with enough pace to blast forward but also track back quickly if required. Sadly we don?t have that on the right. Hiddink obviously knew this, hence Malouda and Ashley Cole tore us apart.

Jacobsen fared slightly better than Hibbo, but this just highlights our need for a right back with pace (Glen Johnson perhaps?) and also a right winger who puts pressure on opposition (such as Ricardo Quaresma). Bleeding obvious, I know. But I await the transfer market pandemonium.
Raymond Choi
72   Posted 31/05/2009 at 07:16:35

Enough with our shite right flank which everyone agrees was rubbish. But what about the left? It didn?t seem to be working as well as in recent weeks? Time and time again Baines made a run and Pienaar didn?t pass but just opted to go inside and cross to, er, Cech. Wouldn?t it better for Baines to cross more from the byline? I only remember one Baines cross which Saha headed over. WIth Cech?s well known weakness at handling crosses, I thought that was something that we should be doing more often?
Craig McManus
73   Posted 31/05/2009 at 08:04:05

Let?s be fair, how can we hope to compete with a team who has got £20 zillion to spend?
Alan Clarke
74   Posted 31/05/2009 at 09:45:56

Simple Craig take out Terry, Lampard and Drogba for them and add Jagielka, Arteta and Yakubu for us.

I just can?t believe how shite Osman actually is though. We got our noses in front and normally when that happens the team is capable of defending for their lives. If you speak to anyone who knows anything about football they?ll always tell you when defending attacks "STOP THE FUCKING CROSS".

Osman just fucking walked over to Malouda and didn?t fucking bother. He didn?t track him in the first place and then couldn?t be arsed, in the fucking Cup Final, to try and at least put him off delivering a pin-point cross. Most of us could have delivered that cross with the amount of time Osman gave him. Maintaining that crucial lead was paramount and Osman let us down badly.

OSMAN IS OUR GLASS CEILING. If Moyes persists in playing that lightweight, who again was guilty of giving the ball away every time he received it, then we?ll never get anywhere.

Dave Jones
75   Posted 31/05/2009 at 10:58:01

How did Essien not get booked ? That "tackle" was shocking.
Tony Williams
76   Posted 31/05/2009 at 11:11:49

I agree and disagree with Michael. The early booking of Hibbert sealed the first half for me, they attacked consistently down the right after that, which by the way wasn?t even a foul; however I cannot agree that we should have won this, Chelsea probably had one of their easiest games of the season, Terry and Alex could have set up a picnic such was the attacking display.

Not one person turned up for that game, Pienaar and Fellaini had a few moments but no-one stood up to be counted and we lost to one of the best teams in the world, with them hardly breaking sweat.

Drogba and Lampard must fucking love playing against us, as they always manage to get on the scoresheet when they score.

Terrible game with our team being absent on the day. You can slate Hibbert and Osman all you want but the rest of them were just as bad.
Neil McKinney
77   Posted 31/05/2009 at 11:19:52

I don’t know why I do it to myself, but like a fly to the blue light here I am depressing myself even more by reading Toffeeweb.

Hibbert was poor and looked injured to me. Osman was ineffectual and they exploited our right side. However, Moyes made the subs at the right time for me, and I don’t really see how much better we’d have done with the lads who replaced them starting from the beginning. Jacobsen did ok, but he hasn’t played a great deal of football and I don’t blame Moyes for going with what he knew in such a big game. Do you really think Jacobsen and Gosling on from the start would have made that much difference? Ifs, buts and maybes.

We could have won, we didn’t. Chelsea turned up and their quality was enough. We bring on 20 year olds, they bring on seasoned internationals. Speaks volumes for me. We were unlucky that the one season we had a run to the FA Cup final, the top teams finally bothered to have a go themselves. Cardiff in the final would have been a cake walk.

Suck it up and start again.

COYB!!!
Alan Kirwin
78   Posted 31/05/2009 at 11:51:57

Michael K.

"They did us proud, but that’s not what I feel. Sad, depressed, gutted. Definitely NOT proud. We could have won this... we should have won this. We didn’t."

You really need a reality check mate.

Could have won? sure, in different circumstances, preferably with our 3 best players not missing (they were at full strength).

Should have won? sorry? based on what? based on league performance? based on recent meetings between us? based on expenditure on players? or managers? or the fact that Chelsea were almost in the CL final (after their 6th SF) or what exactly? what is it that suggests we SHOULD have won?

It’s OK to feel gutted. But even then, many of us still keep the perspective. Not proud? Well, that was our best season overall for 20 years and, given the various disparities involved, fairly remarkable. So what’s wrong with proud? It’s been an excellent season in the real world.

Absolutely ridiculous post Michael. It’s one of those steeped in Nil Satis Nisi Optimum and because we’re Everton we should somehow win everything.

Is the sun really that hot?
David Marsden
79   Posted 31/05/2009 at 12:02:28

I at Wembley yesterday and I was proud of the team and desperately proud of the fans. On the tube back into London it was packed with Chelsea scum but not one of them was singing. They didn’t seen to appreciate that they had won the FA CUP. Our lot were singing all the way and we’d won nowt!

I guess that makes me most proud. Not that we sing in defeat, no, but that we sing cause we love the blues regardless. True fans.
Steve Mink
80   Posted 31/05/2009 at 13:05:35

I was at Wembley and I was proud too, yet still realistic enough to see the gulf in class between the two sides. Aside from the weaknesses on the right side that everyone else has pointed out, it struck me that we are too ready to drop back into the "two banks of four" against the top sides, inviting them to play, rather than pressing in midfield. Got to be braver in these games and try to win possession further up the field.
Kurt Knight
81   Posted 31/05/2009 at 14:37:48

Guys,
The sun rose again and we will be back to fight next year. Sadly, I have to agree with the whole "right-side" argument. My heavens, Chelski exploited that. There was a period of the game that Baines could have sat down for a tea!

Be proud, look at everything we did -- look at the squads below us. We did well but it is - what it is -- they outclassed us in skill but not in class. We are everton.
John Martin
82   Posted 31/05/2009 at 16:27:26

I am gutted that we lost yesterday, But at least they were the better team on the day. As they should be they have spent millions assmebling a squad of world class players. We have one player who would get into there starting line-up = Joleon Lescott. We have had a fantastic season with our resources and injuries to key players.

As Tony Marsh said before the semi final, Hibbert & Osman are not good enough, Osman will look good against mid-table opponents but every time we play a top 4 side he does nothing. Hibbert's limitations are well known. Both were shown up yesterday.

Dominic Fair
83   Posted 30/05/2009 at 15:24:03

How we feel? ... Gutted
Peter Roberts
84   Posted 31/05/2009 at 17:11:20

Once again, the knives are out for Hibbert and Osman, two players who, blue-blooded as they are, aren’t up to standard. We know this, so why even mention it? All the club employees are going to be as gutted as the rest of us having gotten so far to fall at the final hurdle. Let’s not bicker and slag our players for once. Yesterday’s heat made conditions very tough for us and Chelsea’s foreign legion were able to adjust to it easier.

Michael, you say you aren’t proud of the effort put in yesterday? I sincerely hope that’s not true. As long as our players put all their possible effort in to win what more can we ask for? We did yesterday, and Chelsea had more in the tank.

Just one thing if I may - Howard could not have done much more on Lampard’s shot. Lescott, however, should have charged that down. I guarantee if Jagielka had been on the pitch, he would have launched himself at it and probably catch it square in the wedding veg.

Overall, a fantastic season after what was a difficult start - but then that rings a bell with 1984 (without the Cup win). We are on the verge of something special with this squad and a couple of key additions for the next couple of seasons will be seeing us lifting silverware. Moyes can see it and so, I believe, can the players.
Martin Downey
85   Posted 31/05/2009 at 19:04:22

Classic signs of depression:

Too much drink; chicken fried rice; bed at 8.00 pm; wake up 1.00am; two pints of water; analyse match in mind until 5.00am; exhaustion leads to sleep; wake up at 9.20 am; lie awake until 12.30 pm analysing match; get up; go buy papers; read reports; watch golf; open bottle of wine; visit Toffeeweb; start to cheer up.

WE ARE FAMILY! Keep the faith!

Saddest story of the day, however: Brian Richardson’s depression must be even worse than mine! (see his earlier post above). Ripped off by an Evertonian on this of all days. There’s scum and there really is scum. Unfortunately, our ranks are not devoid of it.