Reader Comments (12)

Tony Everan
1 Posted 09/09/2018 at 22:08:17
Thanks Martin, I enjoyed reading

I am very optimistic too. I am especially looking forward to seeing how Bernard slots in. He can be the key to unlocking organised defences like Huddersfield had.

Also, the introduction of Mina into the team will give us something extra with his aerial strength and goal threat from set pieces.

A win against West Ham will set us up nicely for having confidence going to Arsenal. For the first time in a long time, I would feel that we could hurt them, win or definitely get something out of that game.

I too think the substitutions were misguided against Huddersfield. Dowell should have been used.

I suspect there will be more teething troubles as the team coalesces into a consistent force. But I think we will get there, and by November, we will causing a few upsets.

I don't think it's being overly optimistic to say we can make the top 6. We have a strong squad, strong kids pushing for places, and a strong manager with first-class backup from the Director of Football.

In short, I think we can get on a roll, and keep it going.

John G Davies
2 Posted 09/09/2018 at 22:52:28
Marco Silva's first 100 days.

100 days? We should get rid of this manager. He's crap, we should be in top four and have won a trophy by now.

Alan J Thompson
3 Posted 10/09/2018 at 04:32:07
John G (#2); It is a little early and we all hope Silva comes good but it is a worry that the defensive problems he had at Watford now seem to be the problems he has at Everton, and somewhat reminiscent of Martinez.

I'm not calling for him to be replaced but I would hope that he is better than just hoping that the unplayed signings are the answer or that injuries and sendings-off are the sole cause of the problem.

Greg Anderson
4 Posted 10/09/2018 at 05:25:17
Springtime indeed. Well put. But it is a little harsh on Koeman to dismiss his entire reign as "abysmal." Lest we forget, in his one full season, he won the "best of the rest" title with room to spare.

Even if his team did not set the world on fire and he himself did not kiss the badge enough for our liking, he improved visibly on the previous two years, where Martinez wantonly squandered arguably the most talented teams we have had during the Premier League era, sacrificing them on the altar of a quixotic "philosophy".

Lest we forget too, for perspective, Everton averaged around 15th place through the entire first decade of the Premier League, bettering 12th only once. Now that was "abysmal."

Sam Hoare
5 Posted 10/09/2018 at 08:16:28
Greg, I think the “abysmal” reference to Koeman reign applies as much to the terrible re-shaping of the squad that he oversaw as much as the performances and results under his tenure.
Gerard Carey
6 Posted 10/09/2018 at 09:17:50
A fair start so far. Probably like the old school report, could and should be doing better. We have played what would be considered bottom half teams so far.

Acid test will come in the shape of arsenal away, and the other tough away games in the run up to Christmas.

I know it's been done to death, but we need to sort the defence and this zonal marking. Hopefully Mina coming in, and partnering Zouma will go along way to sorting it. Coleman needs to get back to near his best as well, cause he's been poor so far.

Early days though, and hopefully better to come.

John G Davies
7 Posted 10/09/2018 at 10:00:57
Alan J,

Steve Ferns called it correctly some months back. He told us on TW that Silva would play two giants at centre-half (Mina and Zouma signed after Steve told us).

Let's give the manager a chance to get his own centre-halves in before he is condemned as not having a clue defensively on set pieces.

Brent Stephens
8 Posted 10/09/2018 at 12:11:07
Martin, Avery good and very balanced piece in my view. I’m very encouraged by the start to the season, outgoings, signings and performances. Optimistic, cautious and patient. That’s the Everton Patient.
Dan Hollingworth
9 Posted 10/09/2018 at 13:04:41
Solid description here of Marcos first few months in charge, in large I am happy with what I have seen. Players take time to adjust to a new system, or way of thinking. But the early signs are there. I just hope the set piece/zonal marking issue gets resolved quickly, because we have lost at least 3pts already form that.

One thing that is not really addressed in this article is Tosun. I am just not convinced hes going to be what people think he is. He gets his head down, makes good runs. But hes just not the answer. I hope Marco finds a good system for him, otherwise we need a striker in January. Again.

Tony Abrahams
10 Posted 10/09/2018 at 13:41:14
A good read Martin, although it really is going to be hard to get Allardyce out of our system so quickly.

Huddersfield, was a nap really once we saw the team, but the three players Silva, has brought in all look good, and if the other signings can be equally as good, then this Everton team is only going to get better, or even much better, hopefully.

The set piece defending is a major worry, but the overall picture, is something that should only be looked at around Christmas imo, unless things suddenly go downhill rapidly?

Alan J Thompson
11 Posted 10/09/2018 at 16:04:17
John G (#7); And what do you think, JG, another month at best before we see Mina? A case for coaching until then.

My hope is Bernard, the most likely to be fit soonest, will, despite his size, prove to more of a concern to the opposition than our defence.

Steavey Buckley
12 Posted 10/09/2018 at 16:22:29
The signs are promising of a better team than of previous seasons, but Everton still look like a team that will concede too many goals, especially, from set pieces and corners, while giving away possession too easily.